Hamish Macdonald tipped to host late night news

By David Knox on April 20, 2012 / Filed Under News, Top Stories 12

Hamish Macdonald is widely tipped to host his own late night news programme for the TEN network, but remained tight-lipped when quizzed by TV Tonight.

“At the moment you can see me on The Project. I’m hosting that at least one night a week at the moment, because it’s 6 days and they can’t all work all the time,” the Logie┬ánominee said.

“I do little bits for Breakfast here and there. I’m floating around, keeping myself pretty busy.”

TV Tonight hears the push to have the impressive young reporter front his own show comes from TEN Chairman Lachlan Murdoch. There are whispers that rather than simply recapping the news of the day, it will seek to set the agenda for the following day, potentially allowing Macdonald to conduct interviews, Larry King style.

“I’m sure you’re hearing talk. I hear lots of talk as well. I’m excited about things that are on the horizon,” said Macdonald.

“The horizon always look pretty near doesn’t it?”

1. mistaken April 20, 2012 at 10:33 pm -

Still haven’t gotten over Ten canning the Late News with Sandra Sully. Unfortunately Sully tucking us into bed isnt ever going to happen again (she did a great job raising so many of us by the way). I believe Hamish is an excellent talent – but if Ten are serious about a late night program for him they need to schedule it at a regular 10:30pm time slot and ensure it has a good lead in. Otherwise, forget it.

2. deedeedragons April 20, 2012 at 12:14 pm -

I’d watch but how long would it last?

3. Jennome April 20, 2012 at 12:11 pm -

Love Hamish’s work – I’d certainly be watching.

4. jonno April 20, 2012 at 11:04 am -

This would be a very smart move. Ten will lose him otherwise. The Negus thing was on too early.
    Hamish is the new kid in town. Its has taken a long time to find a replacement for the negus,Kerry o brien, Ray Martin and Richard Carltons of this world. He is fresh and will be awesome. Ten should scrap Breakfast now and give Hamish their budget. His work on The Project regarding the boy in a W.A jail this week has been outstanding.

5. Jackson April 20, 2012 at 10:26 am -

He is amazing – I would watch it

6. chasingvegas April 20, 2012 at 10:21 am -

Yah, he is our own Anderson Cooper & just as hot!

7. Nick April 20, 2012 at 10:15 am -

Let me guess the name…. 11pm or 11pm with Hamish McDonald. Too imaginative?

8. steve sydney April 20, 2012 at 9:46 am -

Can someone please remind TEN that there’s no point in even considering this if there’s not a decent lead in and consistent time slot…

9. JB April 20, 2012 at 9:10 am -

Hamish McDonald can read my news anyday. If ya know what i mean.

He’s a great journalist and he’s easy on the eyes which is an added bonus. Ten use him as much as you can.

10. jules108 April 20, 2012 at 8:48 am -

This is an excellent idea.. it would be crossed between US ABC Nightline and Lateline on ABC TV. Both are Agenda setting..

In this age of 24hr news, simply repeating the 5 o’clock bulletin at 10.30 oe 11pm is very old hat. I look forward to Hamish breaking news in late night, Anderson Cooper style on TEN very soon!

11. daveinprogress April 20, 2012 at 7:21 am -

He is too impressive to bury in a late night slot. Hamish deserves prime time. He’s hot too!

12. ryaneco April 20, 2012 at 6:34 am -

I’ve been thoroughly enjoying his work on the project he is a top reporter and a good get for TEN.