The Voice soars to 2.17m viewers

By David Knox on April 16, 2012 / Filed Under News 45

The Logies may have had One Direction but it was the unknown singers in The Voice that won TV’s ratings battle with a whopping 2.17m viewers last night.

It was followed by The Logie Carpet Arrivals, coded separately with 1.8m viewers. Nine News followed on 1.43m, then the Logie Awards averaging 1.38m across its lengthy broadcast (but figures are yet to be adjusted). Seven News was 1.33m and Dancing with the Stars averaged 1.07m viewers.

TEN took a hit against such competition with The Biggest Loser on 739,000 viewers and the premiere of Avatar was just 553,000.

Nine’s network share for Sunday night was huge: 42% over Seven’s 23.2% and TEN’s 18.1%.

Nine claims The Voice peaked at 2.93m viewers and Logies peaked at 2.76m.

ABC’s best was ABC News on 813,000 followed by Australia: The Time Traveller’s Guide on 699,000. Shirley was 370,000 and the premiere of Auction Room was only 272,000.

Inside the Titanic on Seven was 545,000.

Unsinkable Titanic was 343,000 for SBS.

Sunday 15 April 2012

1. Kathy April 16, 2012 at 10:05 pm -

Why is everyone going with Seal ????
    Time will tell I guess.

2. Mac April 16, 2012 at 9:32 pm -

Strewth – no getting rid of this one in a hurry then. :(

3. jonno April 16, 2012 at 9:26 pm -

I am hooked on The Voice. I watched Idol, Xfactor, and AGT but this is the best and i am usually a nine basher. well done. I also enjoyed The Logies. This could be a major turning point for Nine.

4. dramaqueen April 16, 2012 at 7:51 pm -

Loved it!!! That first girl dressed as a strawberry had a breathtaking voice … a mega-star voice!!! I love this show because it is about great voices, not how people look!

5. toriwannabe April 16, 2012 at 7:09 pm -

I agree how annoying it was to see them reacting approvingly at how the country singer and the girl in the shorts looked…a tad contrary to the show’s premise.

They were both good singers, but it seems most of the singers have somewhat more talent than other ‘talent’ shows, so they weren’t rejecting obvious crap singers – they had to find someone flawless and strong. Sadly, I think the country girl, while a good singer, still had some weaknesses in her voice that will improve as she gains more experience. A year or so, and she’ll be a definite contender.

6. kadacki April 16, 2012 at 6:46 pm -

i am absolutely addicted to the US and UK voice and the australian one, althought did not have the quality of singers, still smashed x factor australia much better quality. I hope this does really well for 9, its about time we had something to watch on the channel! I dont think it can hold onto these numbers but i think itl do well. Cant wait to see if it can hold up against AGT. AGT is garbage!

7. lin April 16, 2012 at 5:32 pm -

Recorded The Voice to watch a bit later. Glad I did, I think I got the program down to half it’s length by FF through the ads, the repeated bits and the family stories. Just wanted to hear the singers and which judge picked who. Really hope the quality of the singers improve. Watched DWTS and I still like it!

8. JayElle April 16, 2012 at 5:29 pm -

I watched The Voice and although there were a couple of great singers I found the whole show dragged out for me. I wasn’t interested in lengthy backstories (maybe as the contestants get further into the comp), then they would have one singer and then go to an add break, then come back, recap what we just watched, then have one more singers back story then the performance then the vote then an add break again. I think an hour had passed and only 4 contestants had been shown. Considering they have to find 48 performers it may well continue to drag.
    Is it just me or are there no singers out there with normal happy lives?

9. Goatracer April 16, 2012 at 5:28 pm -

@WhatUpp,That is exactly the point,I was involved in the music industry for ages and if the Judges are incapable of recognising a talented “Voice” what is the point in the premise the Talent they have selected are all successful in their fields but suffice to say a Dicko or Mark Holden would have picked that potential immediately.
    Most of the best golf coaches were not champion players and swim coaches not the greatest swimmers.
    This is the problem I have with the concept,with the addition of an industry player/players they would not have missed this.

10. karebear April 16, 2012 at 4:59 pm -

Well, it grabbed me. I’ll def be back to watch tonight:-)

11. Pegasus April 16, 2012 at 4:24 pm -

So what’s the difference between this and Australia’s Got Talent? What makes this show so special? Its just another singing comp to me.

12. Mr. J April 16, 2012 at 4:22 pm -

People liked it? Really. It was just x factor with all entertainment value sucked out of it.

Re; the country girl. Joel turn around and the first thing he says is something along the lines of: “gee if I knew how hot you were I definitely would have wanted you on my team, a record company will be lucky to have you” how is that not a contradiction to the whole shows premise?

13. WhatUpp April 16, 2012 at 3:46 pm -

Network’s need to be careful, they are putting all these reality shows on yet nothing else. They need to be cautious as people will hate the overload and switch off. I hope Australia’s Got Talent returns with the numbers it deserves, I think it will. I don’t think The Voice will be able to maintain its audience figure though, it will decline but not as much and not as severely.

14. WhatUpp April 16, 2012 at 3:42 pm -

@Goatracer: The judges wanted to but they can’t, if they did it would defeat the purpose of ‘The Voice’. The Voice is about the voice (self-explanatory) not the looks which is an issue that persists in many shows. They would be contradicting themselves if they decided to pick her.

15. ryan April 16, 2012 at 2:43 pm -

So good to see dwts down.
    Voice does well for 9 but we all know it will g backwards next week, i tip 1.8 next week.
    Poor Ten lol

16. nwest_mail April 16, 2012 at 2:13 pm -

Watched The Voice…wanted to like it, but way too much of the so called “heart felt” back stories and way too much attention on the judges. Lasted 30 minutes and pretty sure I won’t be back.

17. Jake April 16, 2012 at 2:00 pm -

Dancing With The Stars has had its day….this’ll be the last season….

18. kimbeth April 16, 2012 at 1:58 pm -

It would surely frustrate the other gold Logie nominees that someone can have a 10 hr total presence on tv all year and snatch Gold.
    The upside is that I enjoyed Hamish Blake’s speech, he is naturally funny. I can’t say the same for Adam Hills nor most other comedians in this country.

The other positive is that Karl didn’t win it!

19. roaringdave April 16, 2012 at 1:27 pm -

I really cannot believe people watch The Voice. It just amazes me. SBS was where it was at last night. A superb Titanic doco on SBS1 and Ninja Warrior and Unbeatable Banzuke on SBS2. Unfortunately they were both on at the same time.

20. Carringbush April 16, 2012 at 1:23 pm -

Ended up switching between DWTS and Voice during ad breaks so may have missed some things. DWTS sticks to the same old formula so should maintain it’s audience.
    The Voice had a great opening with each of the judges on stage singing Seal’s song Crazy. I know it’s nit picking but things that annoyed me are: Pommy host which as a voiceover sounded like a foreign show (probably a selling point OS); the awfully contrived taunts from Delta “You’re going down Urban.”; the repetitive “will I won’t I push the button”; and in reference to Goatracer below (Country girl in the green dress), I thought that showed the downside of not seeing the contestant. Yeah, she sounded good but no one had the guts to pick her, hoping Urban would because he was C&W. Then seeing the fawning that went on when they turned around and saw not only did she have a good voice but she was also a stunner, as if being ordinary looking may have vindicated their decision. That really irked me.

21. Goatracer April 16, 2012 at 12:24 pm -

Watched the Voice but a show like this promised the best and after the Country girl in the green dress was not picked I just lost all respect for the judges,she was one of the stand out performers of the night and unless the intention is to give her some kind of second chance they have lost me.

22. stevie g April 16, 2012 at 12:20 pm -

I taped DWTS, but I’ll be watching live next week. Any show that has Johnny Ruffo in the cast is where I’ll be.

23. Tony Bee April 16, 2012 at 12:17 pm -

Congratulations to Channel 9 for very good promotion of The Voice and the event lived up to the hype. Much to my surprise, it was very entertaining.

24. Craig April 16, 2012 at 12:10 pm -

After the fantastic F1 race I watched “Australia: The Time Traveller’s Guide” last night, after the hash job Nine made of “The Great Barrier Reef” this was such an under rated show, full of info with a presenter that knew what they were talking about and not some reporter on a beach reading a script.

Avoiding the Logie’s, The Voice and TBL but did catch a bit of Avatar. TEN would have been better off showing Titanic and saved Avatar for another week. I hope they air it on ONE in HD at some point.

25. GG April 16, 2012 at 12:04 pm -

Now, hopefully we’ll witness a more even-sided battle for the points this year.

DWTS has definitely had its day.

Let’s see how the rest of the week pans out.

26. BigVic April 16, 2012 at 11:50 am -

Disaster with the stars getting worse and worse…

27. BigVic April 16, 2012 at 11:46 am -

Here comes the Channel 9 bandwagon and Australia’s Got talent start today :D

28. Guy April 16, 2012 at 11:39 am -

Well i expected over 2m for The Voice and it happened. Nine will be very hard to beat this week but you know what if Nine lose this week then it will be an embarrassment. The farce awards did better than i expected.

Tonight should be interesting.

29. Bella April 16, 2012 at 11:23 am -

I flicked between DWTS and The Voice.

The Voice is ok, I saw that they’re repeating last nights ep this Saturday. So far I can’t see Seven repeating DWTS.

30. Ranco April 16, 2012 at 11:01 am -

Ahh, didn’t nine take 40% last year and lose?

AGT v The block, Voice, Apprentice. Seven’s got their hands full

31. The Other Adam April 16, 2012 at 10:59 am -

DWTS duration was way too long!

32. Kenny April 16, 2012 at 10:51 am -

@Jarred – Who didn’t expect Nine to win last night? Who at TEN actually thought anyone would watch “Avatar” since anyone interested in it already has the Blu-Ray?
    We watched “The Voice” because nothing else at 6:30 appealed to us, but won’t be following it.
    It’s a long way to the end of the week.
    DWTS was OK in its first season when they actually had a few “stars”.

33. The Moops April 16, 2012 at 10:26 am -

I watched DWTS last night and enjoyed it very much. The line-up is interesting and Mel B is a good replacement for Sonia, I thought she’d be dreadful, but she is really very good. The Titanic special on Seven was absolutely fantastic, a real quality production from the Discovery Channel and BBC that deserved triple the audience it received. I don’t have any interest in The Voice – yeah we need another hyped to the hilt talent show hunting for the next great Australian vocalist like we all need a collective hole in the head.

34. stevie g April 16, 2012 at 10:18 am -

I found The Voice a little tedious, especially the part where the contestants had to chose the judge. Am I the only one who thought that?

35. MuchoTB April 16, 2012 at 10:16 am -

Looks like Nine will win this week. The Voice did better than X Factor has ever done for Seven in its audition rounds…I believe the highest XF ever got was 1.8 million (not counting grand finals)

Typically The Voice has experienced a decline in the ratings once the battle rounds start (going by NBC’s version, and others). The real battle will start then

36. George 100 April 16, 2012 at 10:06 am -

So much for Super Sunday on Ten – what can we move to Sunday now ?

37. simmo3 April 16, 2012 at 9:59 am -

Wow, finally DWTS figures are down,,,about time seven put it away for good….after all look at the “stars” who are on it this time..

38. Jarred April 16, 2012 at 9:54 am -

Nine have a 20% lead over seven now with The Block and Celebrity Apprentice to be introduced this week. They would Surely have to win this week which would be the first offical week that Nine has won since 2010 (correct me if I’m wrong)

39. steve sydney April 16, 2012 at 9:53 am -

Big line ups all round on the Networks last night. Would have been a shock if Nine didn’t win this one at least.

40. Sydney April 16, 2012 at 9:51 am -

Wow! amazing numbers for the voice it peaks nationally at 4.1 million according to @meadea on twitter and for dwts the numbers have drop from last year. I think nine may have a chance to win this week.

One more thing has anyone check their epg cause nine is replaying the voice this sat night

41. Jake S April 16, 2012 at 9:48 am -

Wow, DWTS took a bit of a battering … and Titanic sank (pardon the pun).

42. Kirk April 16, 2012 at 9:46 am -

The Voice was great, a lot of talent especially that Karise Eden! Wow

43. gusty April 16, 2012 at 9:44 am -

With figures like that and its lineup this week, you’d think it would be difficult for Nine to lose the week. But we’ll wait and see…

44. tmorgan96 April 16, 2012 at 9:43 am -

Disaster with the Stars got 1 mil. Oh dear. Well done to Nine though- the ratings last night were huge!

45. Bogues April 16, 2012 at 9:42 am -

Ten must be disappointed with the figures for Avatar, but not surprised giving the competition.

With Karl and Hamish the last two winners of the Gold Logie, I have no confidence in the Australian public to use their phones wisely.