2.5m watch as State of Origin breaks records

By David Knox on May 24, 2012 / Filed Under News, Top Stories 23

A whopping 2.51m viewers watched the first State of Origin match for 2012 as Queensland, somewhat controversially, defeated New South Wales in an 18-10 victory at Etihad Stadium last night.

The numbers set a new record for Origin as the highest since the introduction of OzTAM ratings (previously 2.45m in 2010).

But a ruling by referee Sean Hampstead awarding Greg Inglis’s 73rd-minute try has Blues fans crying foul.

There were 1.15m viewers watching in Sydney alone, with another 906,000 in Brisbane. In Melbourne where the match was held 313,000 watched.

The game netted Nine a huge 40.6% share over Seven 23.55 and TEN 18.8%.

Nine’s other fare included The Block (1.35m), Nine News (1.28m), A Current Affair (1.17m), Big Bang Theory (812,000) and Hot Seat (721,000).

Seven adjusted its schedule around Origin but finished with Seven News on 1.4m, then Today Tonight (1.23m), Home and Away (897,000), Deal or No Deal (696,000), Castle (463,000 / 439,000) and The Price is Right (388,000). Australia’s Got Talent was 547,000 in three states while in two states Border Security and The Force were 341,000 and 242,000 respectively.

MasterChef settled on 975,000 against Origin with other TEN shows being Offspring (726,000), TEN News (713,000), The Project 6pm (463,000) and The Good Wife (445,000).

ABC News was 998,000 for ABC1 with the network also under fire from Origin. Next were 7:30 (644,000), Wild Life at the Zoo (470,000), Randling (401,000), Agony Aunts (301,000). Laid flopped at just 201,000 -lower than Lateline‘s 219,000.

Wildest India was 276,000 for SBS ONE and Extreme Frontiers: Canada was 259,000.

Neighbours led multichannels with 326,000.

Today: 358,000
Sunrise: 352,000
Breakfast: 44,000
ABC News Breakfast: 43,000 / 35,000

Wednesday 23 May 2012

1. Kenny May 25, 2012 at 10:02 am -

@ tihsamikah –
    “League”=A group of sports clubs which play each other over a period of time for a championship.
    “Rugby”=A team game played with an oval ball that may be kicked, carried or passed…
    “Rugby League”=A form of rugby played in teams of 13. (Oxford English Dictionary)
    It’s Rugby League.
    There is no such game as “league”.

2. camo2 May 25, 2012 at 9:20 am -

its no surprise to me that again there is some nine bashing going on… tell me this what network would not use a potential blockbuster like the SOO and not plug the rest of their lineup… all networks even the ABC and SBS are gulity of it… stop complaining about that sort of stuff…. stick to things that are relevant. On the other had..i was wondering the same thing about the national anthem…sure have the kid sing it …but who she is …not her character…thats trading off a national anthem…but its was The NRLs decision not nines…

3. tihsamikah May 25, 2012 at 5:39 am -

@Daniel… its League.

about time the ignorant mexicans realised Rugby is a different sport.

4. Max Renn May 25, 2012 at 12:16 am -

I didn’t watch it, but someone who did told me of all the shameless plugging for Nine’s awful shows in the commentaries.

5. dan May 24, 2012 at 11:13 pm -

Obviously Melbourne people don’t appreciate a real football code like the NRL the ref should have been sacked for that decision I agree that the anthem was a disgrace and the blatant plugging for other shows is pathetic those things aside it was an awesome game especially the fight

6. Secret Squirrel May 24, 2012 at 9:21 pm -

@johnjet – you may be right but it was 2 hours delayed and still 40% more than Adelaide. Repeats of TBBT would’ve rated higher.

Re Randling: it didn’t get near 600k last week either so I don’t see it bouncing back up after SOO. I wanted to like it but it is only slightly less dull than Letters and Numbers and that is seriously snooze-worthy.

7. davis May 24, 2012 at 6:45 pm -

@Nick, Randling is like a one-topic, slowed down Einstein Factor. Who would think that appealing?

8. johnjet May 24, 2012 at 5:44 pm -

Based on those figures I doubt Perth viewers will see the 2nd and 3rd matches before midnight.

9. Fitzah May 24, 2012 at 5:05 pm -

@Bob
    Had that not have been a try, NSW would have possibly won. It would have changed a lot of things. Same with the Greg bird penalty and the fight.

10. David Knox May 24, 2012 at 5:01 pm -

It’s against State of Origin, of course it would be down this week. But I agree numbers have not been encouraging.

11. Nick May 24, 2012 at 4:58 pm -

RIP Randling. Biggest disappointment of the year. Denton said 600k was par, can’t see it reaching those heights again.

12. steveany 2.0 May 24, 2012 at 4:14 pm -

@TM
    You’re right, the ads and cross-promotion are sickening.
    The only way I’ve been able to stomach SOO in the past was to watch 9’s TV and listen to Roy & HG simulcast it on radio. Since they finished up I’ve had to listen to Nine’s commentary and it’s just appalling.
    Does anyone know where Roy & HG are these days? Have they retired?

13. TM May 24, 2012 at 3:52 pm -

TM – I have to say, the SOO telecast is so blatantly about advertising now. Dedicating time to gambling promo spots within the telecast itself? As if it was a live-cross? The commentators plugging the network shows we’ve always had to put up with, but it’s pretty sickening. Whenever the show or product mentioned I immediately have contempt for!

14. JoshM May 24, 2012 at 2:22 pm -

Its funny, those figures for Ten look about the same as any Wednesday.

15. Craig May 24, 2012 at 12:23 pm -

Against SOO the others were going to suffer last night.

16. Bob May 24, 2012 at 12:07 pm -

Qld would have won the game if the try was disallowed
    NSW are just being sooks

17. The Moops May 24, 2012 at 12:01 pm -

And when you take into account the number of people watching in pubs, clubs and rural areas, the number is probably close to 4M+

How terrible was the national anthem? Whoever organised that deserves a stiff upper cut. Fancy trotting out a child to sing it dressed up as an American fictional cartoon character? To sing the Australian national anthem? The irony is deafening. Shame on the organisers for using the national anthem to plug a stage show. Tacky and cynical beyond belief. Why couldn’t she have been dressed normally, then mentioned afterwards that she would be starring in the stage show. I was disgusted.

18. A. May 24, 2012 at 12:00 pm -

I’d like to thank Seven for putting Castle on last night. Even though I’ve watched them before I thought it was an excellent choice for a double episode. Thank you.

I’ll admit I didn’t see it listed in the internet TV guide earlier in the day because it was awkwardly positioned in the grid at 9pm. If you scan downwards through the channels it doesn’t line up with the 8.30pm shows nor the 9.30-40pm shows. It’s also a short word so it’s easy to just see a blank spot. That’s the problem with not so common timeslots. I’ll admit I found it by flicking through the channels. Now I know about the problem I’ll compensate for it. But I think it could be potentially a problem for all channels with unusual start times.

19. Daniel May 24, 2012 at 11:24 am -

Masterchef outrated AGT in Melbourne last night, and State of Origin was only 2,000 viewers behind AGT. Since when was Melbourne so interested in rugby? I know the game was in Melbourne but still.

Interesting jump for Breakfast. Must be the Ron Wilson effect. The show is improving, albeit very slowly.

The breakfast battle is always interesting, so can we have the brekky ratings listed everyday David please…

20. Kenny May 24, 2012 at 11:17 am -

Who at Nine had the brilliant idea?
    Hold it in Melbourne so the NRL-state fans in NSW & Qld will have to watch it on TV.

21. A. May 24, 2012 at 11:16 am -

I guess holding the State of Origin in Melbourne was great for ratings. Maybe not for some of the fans perhaps.

22. steve sydney May 24, 2012 at 10:24 am -

With that… the bidding for the NRL just got more interesting (are they still bidding?)

Close win for Today and decent lift for Breakfast

23. D@GP May 24, 2012 at 10:18 am -

That’s a huge jump for 10’s Breakfast. Have they started showing cartoons again…?