Elementary: preview

By David Knox on May 17, 2012 / Filed Under News 8

Check out this preview of Elementary, CBS’ new take on the Sherlock Holmes story.

Set in modern day (sound familiar?) America, it stars Jonny Lee Miller and, as Watson, Lucy Lui.

They are going to have to shoot very high to improve on Benedict Cumberbatch from the UK.

Writer Steven Moffat told Digital Spy, “What we did with our Sherlock was just take it from Victorian times into modern day.

“They’ve got three big changes: it’s Sherlock Holmes in America, it’s Sherlock Holmes updated and it’s Sherlock Holmes with a female Watson. I wonder if he’s Sherlock Holmes in any sense other than he’s called Sherlock Holmes?”

Moffat confirmed that CBS opted to produce Elementary after being denied the rights to remake Sherlock, but insisted that he does not resent the network.

“I don’t want it to sound like [co-creator] Mark [Gatiss] and I don’t want other people to try this,” he explained. “We welcome it, but don’t damage the brand.”

YouTube Preview Image

1. Mike Won October 22, 2012 at 10:41 am -

The opinions flung around here are merely speculations of a very few self promoted critics without an ability to find ‘Elementary’ on any Australian television schedule. The frustrations of extreme sub-standard broadcasting includes the total absence of ‘Elementary’ from Australian audiences. Previews of ‘Elementary’ serve only to promote contempt of broadcasters displaying 5 year old, erratically sequenced ‘first look’ segments, poorly planned schedules & worthless segues stomping out any glimpse of entertainment value. The resolve to refrain from all unnecessary Australian commerce is galvanized by this kind of ineptness.

2. Amazingchi May 21, 2012 at 7:02 pm -

Sydney, you do know that House is inspired by Sherlock Holmes… so that’s not a bad vibe to be getting.

3. Dayman May 18, 2012 at 1:00 am -

Lui Lu playing Watson…. bahahaha

4. deedeedragons May 17, 2012 at 11:35 pm -

Ugh.

5. MuchoTB May 17, 2012 at 10:00 pm -

I watched most of the trailers uploaded by the Big Four and IMO Fox and NBC look like they have the best new shows of the season.

Vegas from CBS looks rubbish, it reminds me of that Cane show with Jimmy Smits from 2007 (also on CBS). I bet it will be axed before it reaches 13 episodes.

ABC had the most interesting pilots last year (Revenge, OUAT) but this year their cupboard looks bare…Last Resort and 666 Park Avenue don’t look that good, the latter looks like the Disney version of American Horror Story

6. Secret Squirrel May 17, 2012 at 9:53 pm -

I like both Miller and Liu so I would give this a look but, yeah, the Yanks don’t have a good track record with UK dramas. Don’t know why they didn’t go the whole hog and make Sherlock an African-American hipster pussy-hound packing a large-calibre pistol.

7. Sydney2K May 17, 2012 at 8:55 pm -

You know, I’m getting not a Sherlock vibe, but a House vibe.

8. Craig May 17, 2012 at 5:36 pm -

I think this could be good but predict it won’t make the cut and might be gone before the new year, JMO.