Airdate: Puberty Blues

By David Knox on July 22, 2012 / Filed Under Programming, Top Stories 23

TEN has confirmed its new drama series Puberty Blues will launch on Wednesday, August 15, at 8.30pm.

The trailer for this series, produced by Southern Star, looks very enticing.

An adaptation of Kathy Lette and Gabrielle Carey’s Australian classic Puberty Blues, the series tells the story of two girls – Debbie and Sue – their innocence lost and experience gained against the backdrop of Australia in the 1970s.

With an all-star cast including Claudia Karvan, Jeremy Lindsay Taylor, Susie Porter, Dan Wyllie, Susan Prior and Rodger Corser, Puberty Blues moves beyond the original pages to explore the lives of the young girls, their families and their friends in a tumultuous time in Australia’s history.

1. Jake July 24, 2012 at 3:19 pm -

Channel 10 will give this show a fair go unlike Channel 9 and 7 where if a show doesn’t perform in a couple of weeks it’s removed from the schedule…..

2. Goonies July 23, 2012 at 2:51 pm -

I can’t wait for this. Looks well thought out and expertly put together. Loving the cast too.

3. ryaneco July 23, 2012 at 11:06 am -

Wow some of the comments on here are crazy.
    Offspring is possibly the best Australian drama ever for me personally. It is in the very least the best drama on the box at present.

Puberty Blues looks like fun, I will definiately be checking it out.

4. snoopy888 July 23, 2012 at 7:22 am -

I was born in the late seventies so completely missed this era but watching things like That 70’s show which ironically was made in 1998 brings it all back seeing how people actually grew up.

5. Belinda July 22, 2012 at 10:31 pm -

I remember one of the stations played the movie when I was in early high school, and introduced us 90s teens to the delights of “Ya mole”. That’s all I remember from the film, but this show looks good.

6. JB July 22, 2012 at 9:37 pm -

Offspring and Rush are great Aussie shows. In fact Rush was the best Aussie show on tv when Ten axed it. Bloody idiots.

Puberty Blues actually looks good so i’m interested to watch. But will it start at 8.30 or 8.42?? I only seem to watch Aussie shows on ABC because it’s the only network that starts shows on time.

7. Ann July 22, 2012 at 7:46 pm -

Great, have to hide that one from my daughters

8. blomers July 22, 2012 at 6:49 pm -

Unless I was mistaken – Offspring was pulling great numbers this year, for a niche program it has wide appeal. Smart move putting Puberty Blues in the same timeslot.

9. Adam July 22, 2012 at 5:31 pm -

I’ll give this ago. I’m all for series that aren’t reality. (The Shire, Being Lara Bingle). And to contribute to the conversation, Offspring and Rush in my opinion are smart, interesting series.

10. Darcey09 July 22, 2012 at 5:09 pm -

Nine’s CEO is a good judge of drama!!!!

11. Ronnie July 22, 2012 at 4:48 pm -

FWIW I have really enjoyed both Rush and Offspring – sometimes uneven, but at least they are trying to be new, fresh and contemporary. Offspring, in particular has really found its core strength this season and deserves the two-season renewal. They are working in Ten’s key demos and making money otherwise they would not be renewed – as simple as that. After 65 eps the 20% tax rebate no longer applies which makes most series financially unviable.

The Puberty Blues remake is very risky for primetime – along with the Prisoner remake and Return to Eden – these were era-defining dramas and it will be fascinating to see how today’s audience respond to them.

12. Mia July 22, 2012 at 4:21 pm -

I’m very much looking forward to this. It looks fantastic.

13. Cynical July 22, 2012 at 3:37 pm -

Well if Nine thinks its good, then it must be.

14. kats July 22, 2012 at 3:28 pm -

I can just see it,all the gen y’s bringing the term ‘you mole’ into the 21st century.Hilarious!

15. Kev July 22, 2012 at 3:27 pm -

Is this planned to be a multi season series or more like a mini-series. I could see it making a good mini-series, but if it goes more than one season I can see it just becoming a period soap, then again maybe that’s the plan.

16. David Knox July 22, 2012 at 2:17 pm -

Your last line is way off the mark.

17. alex July 22, 2012 at 1:07 pm -

@MuchoTB I strongly agree with you, both Offspring and Rush have struggled from day one and have never been something that has appealed to the masses. Middle Australia has voted with their remotes, even with big lead ins, these shows lose much of that audience as soon as they come on.

Come to think of it, Ten hasn’t had a single successful drama hit in 20 years, why should this be any different?

18. DanR July 22, 2012 at 12:29 pm -

Really looking forward to this.

And MuchoTB, how anyone could describe Rush and Offspring as ordinary is beyond me.

Kudos for Ten for creating drama that is not cliched, is culturally diverse, modern and aimed squarely at the under 49 market.

More please.

19. Craig July 22, 2012 at 12:18 pm -

TEN is going all out with this one, the promo seams to be on just about every ad break!

I grew up not long after the 70’s so it will be interesting. I hope it works for them.

Now how long before we get people complaining that something wasn’t historically right? Guess we won’t wee too many smart phones :)

20. stevie g July 22, 2012 at 11:56 am -

I’m looking forward to this one. All those 70s sayings on the ad bring back memories.

21. David Knox July 22, 2012 at 11:45 am -

This week even Nine’s CEO agreed Offspring was the best character drama on the box.

22. MuchoTB July 22, 2012 at 11:37 am -

Not interested at all – Ten seem to always make very pedestrian (ie ordinary) Australian drama that attracts a niche audience (Rush, Offspring) but never quite breaks through to become a massive hit. They get renewed year after year with subpar numbers simply for PR and quota purposes

23. Secret Squirrel July 22, 2012 at 11:21 am -

I’ll give it a look as long as Callan Mulvey isn’t in it.