I Will Survive, now beaten by SBS and 7TWO.

By David Knox on September 13, 2012 / Filed Under News 44

TEN talent show I Will Survive hit a new low last night of just 281,000 viewers at 7:30pm.

The show was last in its timeslot, beaten by a bear documentary on SBS and, humiliatingly, even a rerun of Heartbeat on 7TWO. Even Neighbours on ELEVEN an hour earlier and The Bold and the Beautiful in the afternoon pulled more eyeballs.

Against the Reality drawcards of The X Factor and Big Brother the show was smashed, but no matter how much TEN holds onto its carrot of a $250,000 it’s clear the audience has not connected with the premise.

Once again Seven won the night, with 33.3% then Nine 26.2%, ABC 18.5%, TEN 16.0% and SBS 5.9%.

The X Factor (1.5m) was best for Seven then Seven News (1.21m), Today Tonight (1.01m), Home and Away (943,000), Criminal Minds (868,000), Deal or No Deal (517,000) and Covert Affairs (441,000).

Nine News (1.09m) topped Nine then Big Brother (951,000), ACA (936,000), The Farmer Wants a Wife (775,000), Embarrassing Bodies (632,000), Hot Seat (550,000) and Embarrassing Kids Bodies (297,000).

ABC News again won its timeslot with 1.05m for ABC1 followed by Gruen Planet (939,000), 7:30 (806,000), Qi (724,000), Randling (549,000), Would I Lie to You? (459,000), At the Movies (308,000) and Lateline (231,000).

Puberty Blues remains TEN’s best performer but with no lead-in slipped again, now at 673,000. TEN News was 658,000, Modern Family was 433,000,  The Project 6pm was 423,000, and I Will Survive languished on 281,000.

Meet the Amish (333,000) led SBS ONE followed by Bears of the Frontier (330,000) and World News Australia (205,000).

Heartbeat topped multichannels with 325,000.

Wednesday 12 September 2012

1. The Other Adam September 19, 2012 at 2:14 pm -

I bet Hugh is really happy with himself – Leaving a high rating Channel 7 show for this

2. Chris N. September 13, 2012 at 8:56 pm -

I have no idea why *anyone* would have thought that I Will Survive, Everybody Dance Now, Don’t Tell the Bride, Recipe to Riches, etc. could possibly be good ideas!

3. SusanP September 13, 2012 at 5:30 pm -

David has a new article up about an amendment to IWS.

4. mellowman September 13, 2012 at 5:17 pm -

Channel 10 said they got the format wrong for “Everybody Dance Now”. I think these figures clearly show they got the format wrong for “I Will Survive” too.

5. Darcey09 September 13, 2012 at 4:54 pm -

BTW, that should have been whose idea not who’s idea.

6. squareyes September 13, 2012 at 4:54 pm -

TEN seems to have given up for this year.
    But if they’re planning to hold shows over to next year, like Glee, it will be a failure.
    At the same time , showing the Assange tv movie and fastracked Homeland now , isn’t going to help much .
    What is their strategy? Do they even have one ?

7. Darcey09 September 13, 2012 at 4:52 pm -

I doubt that IWS was ever going to succeed, but who’s bright idea was it to program it against X Factor?

8. Kirk September 13, 2012 at 3:58 pm -

They’ve kept with I Will Survive this long, I don’t see Channel 10 dumping it now. Maybe switching to Eleven, but I doubt it. Might as well show it to the end. It’s such a shame, because I’m still loving the show and think it deserves a much bigger audience. And total people, especially with the current system, isn’t the best indication of popularity.

9. SusanP September 13, 2012 at 3:20 pm -

@Ratings Truth…I understand what you are trying to say, however, if you look at the Ratings information David offers, it is both given as totals..and then within broad demographic groupings. IWS is a “disaster” whether you look at total figures or at the demographic categories. The Heartbeat point is more than a much older series, shown as a repeat on a channel that usually wouldn’t beat Ten, did. That is a slap in the face for IWS. So, where did the IWS demographic go? The ratings will show you.

10. David Knox September 13, 2012 at 3:09 pm -

11. George 100 September 13, 2012 at 3:03 pm -

David…If Ten continues to rate in this fashion behind the ABC and just ahead of SBS , would a time come when they may be reported officially with other Multi-Channels rather than 7, 9 & ABC ?

12. RatingsTruth September 13, 2012 at 2:55 pm -

@David Know and Mr J,

Sorry not a disaster wasn’t the right phrase, no one would be happy with the performance, merely pointing out that programs are made for performance in Demographics, not on total people, the endless analysis of all programs against the pointless demographic of ‘All People’ can lead to some serious misunderstanding of what programs are actually a success or not. But does make for a good headline.

The fact that IWS isn’t a success on the Demos or Total People is why it’s a disaster, not that it was beaten by a re-run of Heartbeat on total people.

13. nik c September 13, 2012 at 2:32 pm -

The question is will ‘I will survive’ survive?

14. gregaus September 13, 2012 at 2:25 pm -

This is terribly sad. While it has its flaws, IWS is a great show with genuine talent and a proper ‘feel-good’ vibe about it – something TV really needs right now. But it seems Ten shows are doing badly across the board, not just this one. It’s nonetheless awful to see the ever dwindling numbers on a show that, in my opinion, deserves to be doing much much better.

15. idiotbox September 13, 2012 at 2:14 pm -

I actually quite like I Will Survive but I like Big Brother more. Usually I wait till Big Brother finishes and then switch onto the end of IWS. Maybe Ten should play it a bit later like 930pm as for me on a Wednesday night there is nothing on any of the channels that I like watching at that time.
    I’m happy to go and work in Ten’s programming department. Seems like at this point they have no clue what programs work where.

16. Les Solomon September 13, 2012 at 1:55 pm -

This column does seem to almost relish the failure of IWS. Despite its problems and concept why cant we be grateful the show itself is a step above the average reality show . Why cant TEN move it to a better timeslot -Any timeslot not against the other reality talent show. Are they being stubborn or are they deliberately trying to get it a bad name. As to the Hugh Sheridan brand There is a brand?He is certainly not the right host for this show so I think it has been doing him a disservice since episode one.

17. D@GP September 13, 2012 at 1:33 pm -

18. David Knox September 13, 2012 at 1:25 pm -

I believe still coming but no date yet.

19. D@GP September 13, 2012 at 1:19 pm -

David – do you have any news if TEN is still planning to screen the new Don Cheadle series (13 eps) House of Lies?

Think they had slotted it a few weeks ago, but it suddenly disappeared from the schedule. The SMH Guide lauded it as “Show of the Week”…

20. nailpolish September 13, 2012 at 1:00 pm -

I don’t think IWS failure has anything to do with not being family friendly. I have kids and I wouldn’t censor them from seeing men dressed in drag. /shrug ???

It just holds no interest. Like TM said the movie happened donkeys years ago, this show probably would have rated through the roof in the 90s. It’s not the 90s anymore. Priscilla has been done to death already.

21. Craig September 13, 2012 at 12:55 pm -

I get the feeling TEN can’t cut this one as the mocking will be endless.

22. msd September 13, 2012 at 12:29 pm -

Vinny – The second ep of Embarrasing Bodies was dropped in some WIN regions as soon as Big Brother was extended to 90 mins.

23. Bella September 13, 2012 at 12:28 pm -

I think IWS is worth watching. But up against X-Factor is just killing it. But there is nothing new replace it with.

24. deedeedragons September 13, 2012 at 12:24 pm -

I wonder if he’s still happy with leaving Rafters?

25. JB September 13, 2012 at 12:24 pm -

@itsjusttv, i agree. Hey Ten, Glee starts back in the US today. So where is it? Why aren’t you planning to fastrack it? I for one ain’t waiting, and i doubt the young audience it atrracts will want to wait. There’s all your viewers gone. Stuff I Will Survive, it’s a dud, and was always going to be one.

26. Mr. J September 13, 2012 at 12:02 pm -

@RatingsTruth. a valiant effort in trying to spin IWS’s figures, but nothing in that comment makes me think it is any less of a disaster. if you are going to get technical about advertisers, it’s only fair that you also get technical about production/promotion costs, brand dammage, and loss potential.

heartbeat reruns cost 7two almost nothing and is not targetted anywhere near young demographics. whereas IWS has high production costs, high promotion costs. and is targetted at young viewers.

27. David Knox September 13, 2012 at 11:46 am -

Not a disaster? How much did it cost per hour? How much damage is it doing to network evening share, shareholder shares, Puberty Blues, TEN brand, Hugh Sheridan brand, Fremantle brand, potential ad rates for 2013? Exactly what constitutes a disaster?

28. andrewb September 13, 2012 at 11:34 am -

Puberty Blues would have suffered with the 8.50pm finish of X Factor. Next week, it should bounce back, and no X Factor on Wed could help IWS as well.

29. Vinny September 13, 2012 at 11:33 am -

Was Embarrasing Bodies:Kids even shown on WIN ?

Because I was channel surfing and at 10pm it was the ordinary embarassing bodies and then when I was about to go to bed Househusbands was showing.

30. RatingsTruth September 13, 2012 at 11:33 am -

Except of course when you look at it on a real demographic. Keep in mind that the vast majority (somewhere around 7-60-70%) of advertising space is bought against People 25-54.

No one ever buys against Total People (becuase in reality it’s skewed by people 55+ who watch way more television than anyone else), yet total people is always what’s reported.

On People 25-54 the ratings are:

I Will Survive – 160,000
    SBS (Beast of the Lost Frontier) – 117,000
    7TYWO (Heartbeat) – 52,000

Neighbour did 163,000 and Bold and the Beautiful 124,000.

Still not good for I Will Surivive, but not the disaster everyone is claiming.

31. PJC September 13, 2012 at 10:52 am -

I Will Survive is a very entertaining show… I don’t understand why people think it’s not ‘family viewing’ (is it because there are men dressed as women? We wouldn’t want to confuse the kiddies..?).

What’s killing it is dumb scheduling… putting a light entertainment show with singing and dancing up against a juggernaut show like The X Factor was always going to make I Will Survive struggle. It would’ve been better placed on a Thursday/Friday… or even as a 2 hour show on a Saturday before something like Graham Norton..

32. jezza the first original one September 13, 2012 at 10:41 am -

Who is IWS targeted at, apart from a few posters on here I do not know anyone who is watching it. What were they thinking?

As for ch10 at the moment, the figures are compelling, it is like watching a full on train wreck happening live…..great stuff

33. Itsjusttv September 13, 2012 at 10:31 am -

Ten should fast track Glee next Wednesday as it would be a much better lead-in to Puberty Blues. Another Modern Family repeat followed by Last Man Standing new episode would do better than IWS on Tuesday. IWS could be moved to 9.30 Wed and Thu or to Eleven.

34. stormtrooper84 September 13, 2012 at 10:30 am -

Can Ten actually move IWS? Surely it would count towards content points and considering the disaster of EDN, they would be down on points?

35. Kenny September 13, 2012 at 10:26 am -

IWS may have been up against X-Factor and BBrother, but was still soundly beaten by ABC1, SBS1 and 7Two. Being 3rd may have been sorta OK, but 6th??
    It has absolutely no appeal to anyone, 18 thru 68, in our household.
    @Evan43 – “… improved numbers for 7.30 were because of Rudd’s appearance?”
    ?? Mon 917,000 Wed 806,000 Th 806,000

36. TM September 13, 2012 at 10:24 am -

IWS just isn’t a 7.30 show. And the movie that inspired it came out almost 20 years ago. It began a kind of fad during which time a show like this might have fared much better. But the concept’s just a bit too ‘meh’ for me now.

37. simmo3 September 13, 2012 at 10:12 am -

I am enjoying I will survive, but dont have kids in the house. Just hope Ten continue with it on one of their channels until the end.

38. David Knox September 13, 2012 at 10:10 am -

413,000.

39. aussie September 13, 2012 at 10:06 am -

Hi David, just out of interest what did ‘The Bold and the Beautiful’ rate?

40. Benji77 September 13, 2012 at 10:04 am -

I feel so bad about IWS – I think it’s a great concept, but in Ten’s current downward spiral it doesn’t stand a chance in any time slot.

They probably should move it – but what have they got to replace it??

41. nicks September 13, 2012 at 10:00 am -

I’m really enjoying the bridge on Sbs2.Besides the intrigue of solving the mystery of the two person corpse,some of the shots of Malmo and Copenhagen at night are astonishing..and it’s got tonnes of humor,which i didn’t expect.Saga,the blonde Malmo detective is a wacky neurotic(besides being a cheap bar date).Her interplay with Martin ,the Danish guy(who keeps rubbing his genitals for reasons explained..lol) is hilarious.

42. bettestreep2008 September 13, 2012 at 9:57 am -

Good suggestions by Evans43 and StevenG.

I watched the first few eps of IWS and enjoyed the novelty of it but felt that it was definitely not a family friendly kind of show.

And putting it up against reality shows that cater to the families, young girls and teens was akin to hari kiri.

Ten should shift it to Eleven and – if possible – shorten it by having double and triple eliminations.

Dragging it out on Ten is hurting other shows – like Puberty Blues – as well.

I shudder to think what Ten is planning for the Julian Assange movie. Up against the AFL Grand Final or X factor finale perhaps?

43. Steven G September 13, 2012 at 9:48 am -

The sad thing about I Will Survive, which i love, is that the network hasn’t moved it to a later time slot. Right or wrong it just isn’t family entertainment and the mums and dads are keeping their kids away from it in droves. In a later time slot it may have had a better chance and could have been made edgier than it is.

44. Evan43 September 13, 2012 at 9:42 am -

Ten should either move IWS to Eleven or shift the program to Thursdays, so it’s not up against X Factor. It’s a far better show than the now axed Sarah Murdoch Dancing program – they should give it another chance to gain a wider audience.
    I wonder if the improved numbers for 7.30 were because of Rudd’s appearance?