TEN appoints Russel Howcroft to management role

By David Knox on September 19, 2012 / Filed Under News 19

TEN has confirmed the appointment of Russel Howcroft as Executive General Manager.

To be based in Melbourne, he will be responsible for TEN’s operations in Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth with station managers in Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth reporting to him.

Howcroft, who also appears on Gruen Planet, will exit his role as Chief Executive of Young & Rubicam Brands Australia and New Zealand in January.

TEN CEO James Warburton said: “Russel is a great leader and one of the most outstanding advertising executives in Australia. We are very pleased he is joining Network TEN.

“Russel is extremely well connected in the marketing, advertising and media sectors. His appointment will bring new skills and strengths to the Network TEN management team, particularly in the Melbourne market.”

Howcroft said: “After 24 years of working for some of the best agencies, in the world, I am privileged to be given the chance to pursue another great passion. Television is a very powerful and engaging medium and my experience over the past few years have fuelled my desire to work within the television business.

“In this multi-screen world, television has terrific opportunities to lead the way and develop devoted audiences.”

Howcroft will join Network Ten in February 2013, reporting to TEN Chief Executive Officer James Warburton.

1. snoopy888 September 20, 2012 at 2:51 pm -

I hope he can fix up Ten.They should rightfully now that Oprah has left the building move Bold and the Beautiful back to Lunch Hour,Give the After School to 5pm Hour back to the kids fully and cut down a little on the Current Affairs/News Shows.

2. David Knox September 20, 2012 at 12:27 pm -

Acting Chief Programmer is Beverly McGarvey but yes, we are yet to hear about permanent plans.

3. PS September 20, 2012 at 12:20 pm -

In the meantime, the most important role at TEN is still empty… The Chief Programmer.

4. Viewer September 20, 2012 at 11:24 am -

Oh dear! Very bright man and highly experienced advertsing exec……but what does he know about running 4 TV stations? I’m thinking this is window dressing for TEN to get some cred in Melbourne. It will be interesting to see if he gets involved in the Sales function as that, in my view, is where he could ad value.

5. James 666 September 20, 2012 at 7:15 am -

I think it is great !

At least when the Executive Team is sitting talking about lowest ever ratings, worst advertising share since receivership in the 90’s and a lack of new advertising contracts for 2013 …..he will be able to crack a joke and bring a bit of humor into the room !

Very Funny Russell !!

6. Pete September 20, 2012 at 7:10 am -

I can clearly see a major coup for Seven and Nine !

Russell is without doubt conflicted. Sitting as Chairman of Y & R – which agency and client worth their salt will provide Ten and Russell with all their confidential and intimate details for advertising strategies and campaigns.

I would always be thinking – “Could this be used against me – every opposing client of Y & R should be concerned”.

7. cynical old codger September 19, 2012 at 6:51 pm -

@stevesydney I would wholeheartedly agree!

But Lachlan must also get rid of All the Dead Wood Ballast He and Gina have loaded on board the “Sinking Titanic Ten”, otherwise they may have to pay someone to Buy Their Shares

But if P. Henry has not been given the boot before Russell moves in, I would just love to see Russell pair up, Will Anderson and Henry, so Henry can cop some of what he has been dishing up to us and see how long he will suffer it.

In fact I am even prepared not to watch Breakfast till then, so I will have something to look forward too.

Then after Henry it can be Will to pair up with Bolt. Please Please Please

8. BarrieT September 19, 2012 at 6:39 pm -

executive GM’s role is usually to just push the managers under him to increase revenue. Can.t see it having any effect on programming decisions

9. D@GP September 19, 2012 at 4:30 pm -

Actually, I think this is one hell of a giant step forward in turning the network around.

Relish the challenge, Russell – if anyone can do it, you’ll be a part of it.

10. steve sydney September 19, 2012 at 4:24 pm -

They’ll be no good News for TEN till Lachlan Murdock sells his shares and exits the market completely

11. David Knox September 19, 2012 at 4:21 pm -

Strictly speaking it wasn’t my rumour but thx anyway.

12. Dr_Rudi September 19, 2012 at 3:47 pm -

As per your ‘rumour’ of a few weeks ago David. Well done.

I just can’t help but think this is a career limiting move.

13. GuanoLad September 19, 2012 at 2:08 pm -

Not sure what to think about this. Russell’s approach on Gruen doesn’t seem to match what TEN ought to be, in my mind. But then I don’t know if he’d influence anything to that degree, so in the end he’ll likely have an invisible (if positive) impact.

14. jshaw September 19, 2012 at 2:05 pm -

Russell should poach “The Hampster Wheel” from ABC & show it Wednesdays on TEN

15. Shire_Guy September 19, 2012 at 1:49 pm -

Excellent. So now there’ll be at least better ads on Ten. Just not the actual programs.

16. Dodge September 19, 2012 at 1:41 pm -

I agree with you Trix

17. Pete September 19, 2012 at 1:41 pm -

Russell, Russell…alas I knew him well !

Apologies on your appointment.

18. Trix September 19, 2012 at 1:04 pm -

I think I must be the only person who can see this working.

19. Kirk September 19, 2012 at 1:00 pm -

On a shallow note: nooooooo!! I love seeing him and Todd battle it out on Gruen