Breaking News: TEN has axed both Breakfast and TEN Morning News, to end on November 30th.
A Network TEN spokesperson told TV Tonight, “TEN Morning News and Breakfast staff were told this morning that it is planned to stop production of both programs on November 30.
“The Breakfast program has not resonated with viewers. But breakfast television still represents an opportunity for TEN and we will return to the breakfast TV market at some point next year.”
The news follows dire ratings, at best averaging 50,000, and a commitment that the network was in “for the long haul.” It also belies confirmation at TEN’s 2013 programming launch last month that the show would return.
Since Breakfast launched in February much has been made of Paul Henry’s million dollar contract contrasting with the low numbers, while the network continues to cut costs elsewhere.
Last week TEN News staff were given their marching orders after the network reportedly failed to receive enough voluntary redundancies. The most profile of these so far has been Melbourne news presenter Helen Kapalos.
Breakfast had also lost Andrew Rochford earlier in the year and seen the resignation of its producer Majella Wiemers.
The news first broke on Twitter via Peter Ford, but was also tipped by an insider “francismckonkey” here on Saturday.
Paul Henry and Kathryn Robinson are confirmed to leave TEN but Magdalena Roze will remain.