Airdate: MasterChef: The Professionals

By David Knox on December 29, 2012 / Filed Under Programming 19

2012-12-28_2234MasterChef: The Professionals will have the jump on My Kitchen Rules by at least a week.

TEN’s reality series will launch at 7:30pm on Sunday January 20, before the Australian Open ends.

That’s three weeks before the start of 2013 ratings (February 10) and before Seven can kick off its fourth season of its hit cook-off.

While some nights may get swamped by Aussies competing in the Australian Open, it also gives TEN a chance to lock in an audience before its own show can launch, and provides a serious alternative for those not into sport.

The show begins with a 90 minute premiere with 60 minute eps to air on Monday and Tuesday in the first week.

Updated.

1. Mac December 31, 2012 at 1:37 am -

If David’s prediction is true, then I’ll be glued to Ten for both Masterchef and Elementary.

2. David Knox December 30, 2012 at 10:05 am -

Yup. Thanks.

3. danny December 30, 2012 at 8:42 am -

David, do you mean “Seven can kick off its fourth season of its hit cook-off? “My Kitchen Rules” premiered in 2010 with Shadi and Veronica the first-ever winners.

4. harrypotter1994 December 30, 2012 at 1:29 am -

Double Edged sword- They may get the non sport fans but they will lose out on anyone watching Tennis like me (even though I wouldn’t watch Masterchef anyway)….I think it may only get Biggest Loser type ratings or slightly better

5. ryan December 30, 2012 at 12:16 am -

Really looking forward to this! Marco is great at what he does and he gives your everything from nice guy to flat out crazy which i love to see both. Matt preston and Marco will be a good team i rekon.

6. A. December 30, 2012 at 12:09 am -

They’ve played the “First Look” plus other ads and have mentioned it will start not unexpectedly at 7.30pm as guessed by Daniel.

Re: the Elementary speculation

Although it leads me to wonder will Castle move back to Sunday from Monday. Especially because of Revenge.

7. deedeedragons December 29, 2012 at 9:42 pm -

I think this will rate well but still be beaten ratings wise by MKR.

8. David Knox December 29, 2012 at 8:14 pm -

I suspect that’s the plan, yes.

9. mason December 29, 2012 at 7:52 pm -

I think it’s a great move by 10. If they can build an audience that will miss the first 3 weeks of MKR they have a distinct advantage leading into the ratings year. That is assuming this show captures an audience. from this I imagine they will launch straight into Loser which has an audience already.

10. Guy December 29, 2012 at 5:04 pm -

Stupid decision by TEN if you ask me. One thing they had to do this year is wait until the ratings season began but yet again they waste content for 3 weeks. Its silly if you ask me. I am not saying it won’t do well but TEN are wasting content and its no wonder they are in the hole they are in. They have no idea.

11. randwick December 29, 2012 at 4:30 pm -

How on earth anybody wants to really know what happens in the kitchen in a restaurant baffles me …. so this one already scores a zero for me …. added that it is on ten, who is known for the worst of the worst of reality programmes ….. I hope it flops … and shareholders have done their dough even more …. pardon the pun …….

12. William December 29, 2012 at 2:29 pm -

Just look at what MC: All Stars did against 2012 London Olympics, it was a ratings hit, so practically any MC show will be a ratings winner

13. J Bar December 29, 2012 at 1:03 pm -

Another epic fail from Ten.

14. AEDDIE December 29, 2012 at 11:44 am -

Really can’t wait for Masterchef: The Professionals to start. It looks really good and I’d rather watch this than the tennis or My Kitchen Rules.

15. Bogues December 29, 2012 at 9:23 am -

Don’t think a week’s lead in will make a difference really. Much prefer seeing people cooking in real homes rather than some fancy kitchen. Seven won’t be too concerned.

16. Rayne December 29, 2012 at 9:20 am -

I’m not into sport (well tennis anyway), nor am I into reality cooking shows. Hope there’s something else on!

17. Daniel December 29, 2012 at 9:17 am -

I think this is a good decision by Ten. Their Super Sunday lineup launched well early last year and this is a good alternative to the tennis. Most, if not all, of the Aussies are already out of the Open by the second week.

If Ten could lock in a schedule something like this, it would be pretty awesome for January:

6:00 The Simpsons (New)
    6:30 Modern Family (New)
    7:00 Modern Family (Rpt)
    7:30 Masterchef Professionals (New)
    8:30 Elementary (New)
    9:30 Secrets & Lies: The Track (New)

18. Ronnie December 29, 2012 at 9:02 am -

Here they go again – unnecessarily screening shows out of the ratings period. What kind of a strategy is that? Nine and Seven just laugh at this and say “knock yourselves out”. People are on holidays in January – backyard bbqs and summer evenings outside. Viewer numbers are down overall and if something spectacular happens on the tennis everyone will watch it live no matter what else is on. That is why networks pay premium dollars for sport. Tennis suits the rhythm of those two weeks in summer perfectly.

19. pm1989 December 29, 2012 at 8:22 am -

Aus open begins on Jan 14. So a weeks advantage.

David, do u know how many weeks this will run for? I know The block is 6 weeks, will this run right up to Easter?

20. Mr. J December 29, 2012 at 8:16 am -

Promos are saying this is a 6 week show. So only 3 of those weeks will be in ratings, then I guess its back to modern family repeats? I think 7 will be over the moon right now. Not feeling any buzz for this at all. The promos make the show look so serious and dark. I think people will chose the more fun &entertaining tv.