Ellen gives audience Aussie trip, Oprah style.

By David Knox on January 11, 2013 / Filed Under News, Top Stories 38

First Oprah, now Ellen.

400 audience members of The Ellen DeGeneres Show just got a 7 night trip to Australia, in a surprise birthday-style gift from the US talk show host.

The audience screamed wildly when DeGeneres broke the news after interviewing Nicole Kidman, and red, white and blue streamers showered down upon them and the Qantas and Swisse banners rolled out.

DeGeneres will visit Sydney and Melbourne in her first ever visit down under, but there are no details on filming shows yet.

The episode is due to air at 7:30pm Saturday on Arena and on Nine on Monday.

The big moment happens after 3:00 mins in.

1. David Knox January 15, 2013 at 9:39 pm -

Arena advises they received the episode materials late.

2. insuburbia January 15, 2013 at 9:08 pm -

It wasn’t edited, both nine and arena played the same episode, it was announced 3 mins into the segment and the final segment of the show leads directly to the credits

3. freddo January 15, 2013 at 2:33 am -

Did anything come of this Oprah nonsense? no, Zilch: just as I thought!

4. nik c January 14, 2013 at 6:35 pm -

I love that Tbe 9 Betwork edited the episode so it wasn’t 3 mins in, but towards the end! Stupid 9!!!!!!!!!

5. Jason January 14, 2013 at 4:14 pm -

Ellen won’t be bringing 400 “screaming Americans” with her. They will be visiting independently over the next 12 months.
    Tourism Aust. isn’t paying. Swisse and Qantas are paying. Tourism Aust. will benefit enormously from the free publicity worldwide thru “Ellen”.
    I’m sure the visiting Americans won’t get in the way of those being so critical. I wonder if they will be turned away if they want to spend some US$ in your business?

6. insuburbia January 13, 2013 at 11:43 pm -

It was announced that it would be filmed segments and no audiences, the Ellen audience were given tickets and fly anytime in 12 months, anytime is a good time to have Australia pushed from a tourist point of view it always brings dollars into the country no matter how big our small. Not sure why all the negative comments, don’t enjoy don’t watch!!

7. AUSteve January 13, 2013 at 9:46 pm -

While it’s great coverage for Australia, it’s a shame that Australia has to pay so much to have this type of coverage…why are we so intent on having the U.S “validate” us so much?? If it wasn’t for Swisse and Qantas forking over so much money would she even be interested..? I mean, she’s married to an Aussie and still has never been here for crying out loud… sounds a bit like a “oh if they’re paying…sure” moment..

8. David Knox January 13, 2013 at 8:38 pm -

It’s not even clear if there will be any audience or just filmed segments.

9. opinion8ed January 13, 2013 at 8:03 pm -

Hey David any idea where tickets will be available?

10. cynical old codger January 13, 2013 at 4:21 pm -

@Clofts
    Trouble is see one mine, or a monster hole in the ground with monster trucks, where there once was beautiful country and history etc, you’ve seen them all.

Since story has hit the media, I overheard some captive/injured wildlife chatting among themselves, around their enclosures/cages, and not being an Irwin or the Bondi Vet etc. I think it went something like this.

Fences,Hunters,Tree Clearing,Mining Urbanization,Climate Change, Drought and Bushfires and now even more “Celeb’s” , just what have we done to these people to deserve all this?

11. alfagirl January 13, 2013 at 3:24 pm -

I am surprised at the many snarky and sarcastic comments. So what if Ellen comes to town and brings a screaming audience with her? They will spend money while they are here. They will enjoy the sites of our beautiful cities. Don’t watch it if you find it so offensive. I am not a huge Ellen fan but I will watch the Australian episodes and I bet the majority of the people who have commented here will watch too.

12. greyghost January 13, 2013 at 2:50 pm -

Really must we …… more screaming Americans, no thx.

13. aussie January 13, 2013 at 1:41 pm -

Yep it didn’t air on Arena (Saturday 7.30pm) even though they where running promos all day right up to 4pm saying it was airing. I don’t think Nine has first run rights(?), because Arena airs Ellen at 11am daily where Nine airs it at 12pm. David could you perhaps investigate? Cheers

14. NicH January 13, 2013 at 7:36 am -

Has anyone else noticed that her show has just become about giveaways and competitions.

15. AndrewG January 12, 2013 at 7:31 pm -

Just noticed it is now not on arena. Looks like nine might have had somethung to say…

16. Mac January 12, 2013 at 5:38 pm -

I just got chills of pride seeing my work uniform being worn on American TV. :)

17. Backflip January 12, 2013 at 5:04 pm -

@Akram. It is my understanding that Tourism Australia has no direct involvement with Ellen’s visit. It is essentially sponsered by Swisse who have signed her as a global ambassador

I know a few teenagers that are so excited about the visit. There are even plans to go interstate to try and see her and see filming.

18. Reece January 12, 2013 at 3:27 pm -

@ tomothyd.

I agree, its why I dont watch the show anymore she does at times appear uninterested and seems like she just wants the show to end.

19. nik c January 12, 2013 at 11:37 am -

@ deedeedragons I agree X factor contestants or Voice are needed to show case Aussie talent.
    There are so many hard working musicians who would deserve a break or show case on Ellen. The X & V stars had their TV moment and don’t deserve more!
    Hope Ellen has teams research this is she wants to see Aussie musicians (not pop stars)
    Also very glad Ellen is coming to Oz :)

20. Akram M January 12, 2013 at 10:42 am -

I wonder how much Tourism Australia is spending on this?

21. tomothyd January 12, 2013 at 9:53 am -

Definitely good news for the tourism industry!

Does anyone else find Ellen really fake these days? The first three or four seasons of her talk show were always fun and entertaining and she’d have what seems to be a real conversation with guests. Since season 5 she seems often disinterested in her guests and says the same responses “you’re great/hilarious/so funny, uh-ha’. It’s as if she is not listening and reading an auto-cue for a suitable response. And the guests often have nothing to talk about anyway, so there appearance is only 4 mins long and there was nothing from it.

22. Leppie January 12, 2013 at 8:16 am -

Woo! I’m super excited for this one! Can’t wait till she comes.

23. jezza the first original one January 12, 2013 at 7:15 am -

uugghh….oh no not again. I can’t stand ellen, I think the show is truly awful US crap and it makes me spew when everyone is fawning over these US personalities. It will not be too long before someone says how many millions of $$$ this will boost tourism by. Well the Oprah effect was complete BS, and I don’t think ellen will be any different….Cringeworthy piffle

24. Sam G January 12, 2013 at 2:28 am -

Wow, Nicole Kidman should know what a kookaburra sounds like…

25. deedeedragons January 12, 2013 at 1:15 am -

Ugh. There are many great Aussie singers & band out there who should go on Ellen’s show. None of them have a thing to do with X factor though.

26. clofts January 12, 2013 at 12:35 am -

I just hope someone tells Ellen that there is more to Australian than just the eastern states…

27. Craig January 11, 2013 at 6:59 pm -

Update – Arena is showing this ep 7:30pm Saturday.

Way to trump Ch Nine!

28. C-Boy January 11, 2013 at 6:55 pm -

This is great! I love Ellen. I always watch her show :D

29. Leo January 11, 2013 at 6:46 pm -

Fabulous that Ellen is coming here!
    It’s not just Reece Mastin Im afraid – The Collective & Johnny Ruffo fans are also tweeting their little hearts out, bless!

30. catherine January 11, 2013 at 5:23 pm -

Now I get why there is a trend on twitter to get Reese Mastin on there singing.

Its about time Ellen came here. I mean Portia is from here and you would think she would what to see her partners country. I think it will be more fun than Oprah. It wont be as serious.

It means more screaming Americans are coming. Oh well spend up big.

Its a shame Rove never took his audience anywhere. I know I dont think it was in the budget.

31. Dave January 11, 2013 at 5:19 pm -

I always find it interesting how American shows interpret Australia when they’re here. I do feel proud that our country once again will be showcased by a major American show. Welcome to Australia Ellen.

32. Craig January 11, 2013 at 4:50 pm -

Ellen is the new Oprah.

All they needed was John Travolta as the pilot carrying out the plane.

Little disappointed when they were talking about the environment and they didn’t mention the fires. I mean this was just taped yesterday so it’s not like they wouldn’t have known or seen the local new mention it.

33. Bella January 11, 2013 at 4:43 pm -

I read something about Ellen will be here in March and she is only filming segments.

I like Ellen. But just hope she doesn’t go too over the top. Or go with the tacky stuff. Really show off Melbourne and Sydney for what it is.

34. Mr. J January 11, 2013 at 4:35 pm -

I hope there is some real excitement build up over this, I thought Oprah’s visit was very under hyped.

35. Muscledude January 11, 2013 at 4:12 pm -

I wonder if John Travolta will also appear on the episode? Also, will the trip Down Under coincide with Mardi Gras?

36. Ruddeger January 11, 2013 at 3:43 pm -

Gee what an original idea.If only someone like Oprah had’ve thought of doing that.

37. BrookeP January 11, 2013 at 3:40 pm -

Love Ellen!

38. J Bar January 11, 2013 at 3:38 pm -

There are no original ideas in television any more.