My Kitchen Rules beats MasterChef: The Professionals

By David Knox on January 29, 2013 / Filed Under News 15

2013-01-29_1024Seven’s saturated promos for My Kitchen Rules has paid off with round one going to Seven’s show.

MKR pulled 1.38m in its first outing with MasterChef averaging 892,000 viewers. Seven’s cook-off also topped the demos. As this battle gets underway numbers are yet to settle.

The Twenty20 cricket averaged 1.37m across its three hour broadcast giving Nine an easy win for Monday.

Nine pulled a 35.5% network share to Seven’s 29.2% and TEN’s 17.6%.

Nine News was the top show of the night at 1.57m over Seven News on 1.53m. None have been adjusted yet for overruns. Today’s ratings were also delayed to check data in the Brisbane / Gold Coast area.

Official ratings resume from February 10.

Monday 28 January 2013

1. Mac January 30, 2013 at 2:55 pm -

Masterchef has been fantastic. Forgot MKR was on so have to play catch up in the next day or so.

2. AEDDIE January 30, 2013 at 9:59 am -

Well, I’ll stick with Masterchef: The Professionals because it is way better than MKR (even though I have never seen one episode of MKR and I have no intention to).

3. Beckala January 29, 2013 at 8:35 pm -

Reason why I watch MKR over Masterchef is that there are just too many contestants to keep track of on MC. I’m not a religious viewer, so if I miss an ep or I miss 15 mins while making dinner, doesn’t matter nearly as much in MKR, because there are only 6 duos. It’s what I call “good crap” – I know it’s not the quality stuff, but its watchable. Plus, added bonus this time, the “fitness trainer” Scott is a friend of my brother-in-law.

4. DOGES333 January 29, 2013 at 6:27 pm -

I flicked between cricket and my kitchen rules last night and in Perth after cricket they had the news but to night be watching my kitchen rules because there no sport on. Go WA win MKR just don’t think Indian girls will win with them hating most of the food.

5. Gaz January 29, 2013 at 5:33 pm -

I loved MKR last night. When we first met the two Indian girls, I thought they were going to be great, but they will be the most hated contestants in MKR history, not because of their race, but because of their dislike of so many foods. Why on earth are they on a cooking show, when they don’t eat most of the food served to them ?

6. J Bar January 29, 2013 at 2:49 pm -

@TasTVcameraman
    What is a real reality show? Maybe a doco or a factual but they are not really classified as a reality show any more.

7. Pete January 29, 2013 at 2:38 pm -

@ andy pandy Survivor finale is repeated on Go this Sunday from 3.00pm.

8. tvf January 29, 2013 at 2:18 pm -

I’m not one to generally notice editing mistakes but one stood out to me last night.

When the vic couple were shown driving to vic market they were travelling on the outbound lane of the tullamarine freeway. This is simply not possible because the vic market is in the city therefore your required to be on the inbound lane.

9. Pertinax January 29, 2013 at 1:59 pm -

The number of viewers will go up as summer ends. Kids go back to school this week. Next week the reality TV audience will be split between Masterchef Professionals, MKR and The Block.

Reality TV is not about reality. It is about contriving circumstances and selecting people to gain maximum viewers. Even Grand Designs selects the projects and people and then edits and uses voice overs to do that.

10. andy pandy January 29, 2013 at 1:48 pm -

Lucky for us here on the Fraser Coast QLD that MKR and MC weren’t on Channel 9/WIN as it has been off the air for two days now.
    So much for the Survivor finale that was finally going to be shown tonight.

11. TasTVcameraman January 29, 2013 at 12:51 pm -

Both of them contrived reality, I enjoy real reality but contrived, no thank you.
    My Kitchen Rules will only add to Seven getting their next programme on late.

Thank goodness for ABC 2, commercial free Mega Builders

12. Darcey09 January 29, 2013 at 11:46 am -

So does that mean that Masterchef’s saturated promos didn’t pay off?

13. cynical old codger January 29, 2013 at 11:40 am -

Actually the incessant promo’s nearly turned me off watching the entire contest, but eventually did watch it, but only out of curiosity and absolutely not because of the promo’s, and I do hope they now at least not only give us no where near as many, but if not, at least definitely something different.

So far my only comment, must be a neutral one, but thankfully the closest they came to Marco;s constant annoying repatitions, was the dithering with the knife over the desert.

Will watch with interest which way the viewing numbers fluctuate between MKR and M/Chef, now both had a first night flush.

14. Bogues January 29, 2013 at 11:24 am -

While I’m not surprised that MKR bet Masterchef, given the cricket and severe weather in Brisbane the figures will be higher next week. More than 200, 000 homes were without power last night

15. deedeedragons January 29, 2013 at 11:06 am -