Renewed: Girls

By David Knox on January 27, 2013 / Filed Under Pay TV 9

2013-01-27_0031No surprises that HBO has officially announced a third season pick-up of Lena Dunham’s most-excellent comedy, Girls.

The show has received a 12-episode order, up from 10 for the first two seasons.

Executive producer Jenni Konner will return as co-showrunner alongside creator/star/executive producer Dunham.

The duo, who executive produce Girls with Judd Apatow, have assembled a writing team, with Paul Simms replacing Bruce Eric Kaplan as co-executive producer as Kaplan is busy working on his own HBO pilot.

Girls recently won the Golden Globes best comedy seriesand is currently airing its second season, fast-tracked to Showcase.

Source: Deadline

1. Jason S February 1, 2013 at 12:00 pm -

There are plenty of comedies with no laugh track; just because a show doesn’t have one doesn’t mean its automatically great.

Critics seem to be the only ones who like this. From all the comments from TV blogs I read, most people can’t stand it. I’ve yet to watch it myself, but like others here, a late 20′s guy probably isn’t the right audience for this.

2. Glory Days January 30, 2013 at 9:39 pm -

I leave it because it is true and smart. No one walking into with a laugh track and sitting in a lounge room.

3. Dayman January 28, 2013 at 12:28 pm -

@David Knox that’s interesting you’ve never heard of it being polarizing. That’s all I ever see on TV websites, podcasts ect.

Often followed by, “so many people who’s tv viewing I respect tell me it’s good, but I just can’t get into it.”

4. JoeBloggs January 27, 2013 at 11:17 pm -

I’m with the others, watched a couple of eps and reckon I laughed twice. Obviously I’m not the target audience

5. David Knox January 27, 2013 at 10:45 pm -

Writing, directing, acting in her own series and not even 27 is some achievement.

6. Sam January 27, 2013 at 9:50 pm -

For some reason Hollywood is obsessed with both this show and Lena Dunham so headlines only seem to reflect the positivity, but social media blogs and forums depict a more polarizing story for sure.

HBO must have a great PR team, cause the Nielsen ratings clearly don’t correlate equally to the amount of press this show receives. But I guess perception of quality or popularity is more important for a premium cable network than actual results since they don’t rely on advertising in the same way.

But, I’m just being biased. I think the show is utter crap and Lena Dunham is likely the most overrated “talent” that’s surfaced in a long time.

7. pondie January 27, 2013 at 7:55 pm -

I hated the first couple of episodes but it was fun after that.

8. David Knox January 27, 2013 at 5:39 pm -

First one I have heard who thinks it is terrible, so there’s no evidence of polarising yet.

9. Dayman January 27, 2013 at 5:29 pm -

Boy is this show is painful to watch. I guess being a late 20s guy i’m the complete opposite to who it’s targeted at.

It is interesting how it’s a show people either think is terrible or absolutely love.