Returning: Smash

By David Knox on January 29, 2013 / Filed Under Pay TV 12

2013-01-29_1002One of the more enjoyable new dramas from 2012 returns soon with Smash fast-tracked to SoHo.

When the show gets it right it’s wonderful to watch.

There are new cast members and a new show-runner this year.

Jennifer Hudson and Sean Hayes are just some of the new faces joining Debra Messing, Anjelica Huston and Katharine McPhee in the second season of Smash, where a rival musical vies for the attention of the “Bombshell” cast.

It begins Wednesday February 6th at 7.30pm on SoHo which is the same day as its US debut. Presumably it will air at a later date on Seven for those without Subscription TV.

Lovin’ the Express from the US from Foxtel….

1. Craig February 4, 2013 at 8:33 am -

I’m in 2 minds about Smash, it’s a good show and ITA one of the best from last season it’s just I’m pissed NBC didn’t give Parenthood a full season and Smash is taking over it’s Tuesday night time slot on NBC.

That aside it’s nice to see Sean Hayes back on TV.

2. barrett January 31, 2013 at 10:01 pm -

excellent show…series link engaged

3. Jake January 30, 2013 at 3:36 pm -

Smash is simply the best show ever to screen on television. An adults version of Glee, this show should have been a lot more popular than it was. With amazing broadway dancing and singing sequences it is a true delight to watch. I don’t have Foxtel and I’m sure not going to depend on Channel 7 to screen it so I’ll buy it when it comes out on dvd. I received season 1 as a Xmas pressie and it is admittedly the best spent $35 possible. Hoping there is a season 3….

4. Gaz January 30, 2013 at 1:17 am -

Absolutely love this show, but don’t have Foxtel. I hope it comes to Seven later in the year.

5. Beckala January 29, 2013 at 8:43 pm -

Dammit!! I got so excited and then realised it was a Foxtel announcement :-(

This is one of my fave shows – I just love it. Especially after Glee has fallen so spectacularly from its first season to the dreadful current season. A much more realistic show and really really clever, very witty, love the original songs as well as the covers.

6. JayElle January 29, 2013 at 5:34 pm -

Really enjoyed Smash last season and look forward to watching it on SoHo soon.

7. Leppie January 29, 2013 at 5:20 pm -

Awesome news, can’t wait for the new series.

@T-Mac, hahaha.

8. catherine January 29, 2013 at 4:50 pm -

Smash was on my of my favourite new shows that I came across. I hope 7 put it on at a decent time and leave it there.

9. simmo3 January 29, 2013 at 1:00 pm -

Thank God for Foxtel !

10. T-Mac January 29, 2013 at 10:48 am -

So if Seven airs this series, will they promote it as a “Will & Grace reunion”?

11. Josh777 January 29, 2013 at 10:45 am -

I absolutely love this show and Foxtel are godsends for showing it express, in HD, and in a constant timeslot. Foxtel should be advertising the hell out of the fact that they have premium drama that can’t be seen on FTA (obviously Smash isn’t the case but shows like Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, The Newsroom, etc.), express from the U.S., and with the majority in HD. But instead, they only advertise sports content and what entertainment content they do advertise it is only a small clip without any of the above details. It’s no wonder they have gone backwards in penetration. But I digress, good on Foxtel for continuing to fast-track this great series.

12. Pertinax January 29, 2013 at 10:37 am -

Channel 7 bought Smash, along with Killing Time, Strike Back and Grimm to to fill holes in their schedule during the US summer break and to save shows for 2013.

They all failed and were bumped to late night slots (Grimm is being shown Thursdays during non-ratings). And they had to use episodes of Bone and Castle they didn’t want to.

Channel 7 has 3 channels to programme and maybe Smash makes sense in at some time on some channels. But there are no guarantees about FTA showing everything anymore.