Don’t Dream it’s Over

By David Knox on February 7, 2013 / Filed Under News 13

Don’t Dream it’s Over is such a classic song that last night it featured in not one but two US shows, airing at the same time on Australian TV.

The gang from Glee sang it as a stirring song of unity, airing just before 8:30 on TEN.

Meanwhile it also featured in the season premiere of Smash, by Megan Hilty as a motivational number for the ensemble, airing just after 8:15 on SoHo.

1. Maev....Sydney February 8, 2013 at 1:57 pm -

C’mon…get over the ‘across the ditch’ rivalry….I watched Glee and loved it…the other version on Smash…which I watched here…ok…….

2. Tony Bee February 8, 2013 at 1:46 pm -

Crowded House comprised one Kiwi, two Australians and one American. It’s regarded as an Australian band.

3. Muscledude February 8, 2013 at 11:09 am -

I wonder how that song would have gone without that outrageously over-the-top music video? The day the music died.

4. bettestreep2008 February 7, 2013 at 3:53 pm -

Why the surprise? It’s a classic pop song and I never tire of it.

Sad that so few Australians got a chance to see the Glee version last night. How 2m+ are glued to that MKR rubbish when the always delightful Glee was on.

5. Pertinax February 7, 2013 at 2:34 pm -

Crowded House neither wrote nor were performing the song. And without Neil Finn’s NZ accent it sounds weird, especially with some of Ivy’s NY vowels.

It would be easier to prove Crowe is Australian (he took out Australian Citizenship even though he lives mostly in Hollywood).

6. Dodge February 7, 2013 at 2:24 pm -

That misspelling of David was actually accidental but it teams with the theme

7. Dodge February 7, 2013 at 2:23 pm -

I agree, Kiwi. Sorry Davud!

8. GuanoLad February 7, 2013 at 1:29 pm -

I first heard it on a long weekend in Dunedin, if that helps. I do know that Neil Finn thinks of ‘Crowded House’ as being an Australian band.

9. David Knox February 7, 2013 at 12:59 pm -

Now I’m just waiting for someone to tell me they wrote it on a long weekend in Dunedin.

10. blc1981 February 7, 2013 at 12:44 pm -

NZ band, NZ song and both played on Waitangi Day, love it.

11. David Knox February 7, 2013 at 11:29 am -

Crowded House may have some NZ-born members but it was formed in Melb.

12. Pertinax February 7, 2013 at 11:24 am -

A song as Aussie as Russell Crowe anyway.

13. Matthew See February 7, 2013 at 11:17 am -

Saw both shows and I couldn’t believe that the same song was sung in both of them.

What’s remarkable about the coincidence was that the Glee episode was aired in the US several weeks ago while the season 2 premiere of Smash only came on SoHo just mere hours after its broadcast in the US.