Mr & Mrs Murder tops the night for TEN

By David Knox on February 21, 2013 / Filed Under News 43

2013-02-21_0902The premiere of Mr & Mrs Murder was TEN’s highest rated show for the night with 782,000 viewers.

While it was third in its slot it more than doubled its lacklustre lead-in from Glee (269,000). Reaction to the show on Twitter was also positive, especially towards the two leads, Shaun Micallef and Kat Stewart.

But the night again went to Seven.

Seven network shares were 33.3% then Nine 30.5%, ABC 16.6%, TEN 15.6% and SBS 3.9%.

My Kitchen Rules was again #1 with 1.76m viewers for Seven followed by Last Resort (1.13m), Seven News (1.1m), Today Tonight (951,000), Home and Away (919,000), Highway Patrol (594,000), and Deal or no Deal (427,000).

Nine News (1.15m) was best for Nine with The Block (1.04m), ACA (962,000), Movie: The Blind Side (841,000) and Hot Seat (579,000).

On ABC1 it was ABC News (938,000), 7:30 (720,000), Qi (643,000), Mad as Hell (625,000), The Agony of Life (523,000) and Adam Hills: The Last Leg (487,000).

TEN’s other shows were TEN News (661,000), The Project (432,000) and The Good Wife (380,000).

Wildest Latin America was 181,000 for SBS then Tropic of Capricorn, Masters of Money (both 147,000) and World News Australia (127,000).

Neighbours led multichannels with 253,000.

OzTAM Overnights: Wednesday 20 February 2013

1. Sree Vani March 25, 2013 at 10:39 pm -

Love the new characters in Home and Away and how they interact with Heath Braxton (Dan Ewing).

2. Darcey09 February 22, 2013 at 3:28 pm -

@mj, the last time s show had 500k more than the show before it? MKR, and about 4 times a week.

3. carolemorrissey February 22, 2013 at 1:13 pm -

How much longer has that bloody MKR got to go? Hopefully it will end soon. I liked Mr & Mrs Murder. I found it funny in places and had a good story line. Lets hope 10 gives it a decent go.

I had heard, I think it might have been here, that Last Resort got cancelled in the US so didn’t bother with that one. Looks like the majority of people didn’t realise that. I have been caught too many times getting hooked on shows that had been cancelled in the US, and ended with a cliffhanger. So I wasn’t going to fall for that again. I guess that’s one advantage of us not fast tracking some shows. Shows like Revenge, that we know are a huge hit in the US way before we get them, we are months behind, and other shows get fast tracked. I would have rathered ch 7 fast track Revenge over the summer, than Grey’s Anatomy.

4. Nate February 22, 2013 at 11:49 am -

Was disappointed with Mr & Mrs Murder, but will give it a few more weeks to improve. For a show attempting to be offbeat, it needed to be either funnier or subtler, most of the gags were like a sledgehammer to the point where I wouldn’t have been surprised if a laugh track suddenly sprung up – this is a joke, you can tell by all the people laughing.

5. Les Solomon February 22, 2013 at 6:03 am -

Yes TEN have done a hopeless job of promoting “:Glee” but unless those figures improve (and when Ten start the ratings year with a Xmas episode, the week before-what does one expect that’s a poor programming choice)it will be over to Eleven before we know it.
    “Glee” however is a programme in serious decline.I just hope Fox discontinues it and make season four the last and bolsters up the last 5 or 6 eps into something special. So sad to see a programme on ce so good descend into a nothingless mess. The day that programme started gearing it to the teenagers was the beginning of the end.

6. tvf February 21, 2013 at 11:02 pm -

I thought the first episode for mr and mrs murder was ok. Theres enough in it for me to watch again next week. I generally find pilots of shows aren’t their best episodes and it takes a few episodes for everything to start to gel and make sense.

7. byeana February 21, 2013 at 10:10 pm -

Correction Correction

I must have had Shaun Micallef on my brain, when I actually meant Mr and Mrs Buchanan

8. byeana February 21, 2013 at 9:11 pm -

To me one of the best things Mr & Mrs M. had going for it was Mr & Mrs Micallef, and what else could we expect, when their talent is so natural, and they retained the personalities that has endeared us to them for so long, Well Done Shaun and kat, and all those associated.
    Can’t wait to see you team up for Ten’s next foray into a Breakfast program.
    Nice to see the comparison between lighthearted Mr. & Mrs M. and the serious Elementary, considering they both use the same principle of assembling all the clues, and then work backwards to the crime.

Any wonder the networks have trouble picking winners, after reading the comments about the Last Resort, where Australian viewers quote shows that have failed in the US. before us average Ausies, have seen them, but when for example their Gun Totting Culture or any number of other quirky USA traits are raised, how many of those using the USA as our viewing standard, suddenly do a 360 with their opinions of the American perspective.
    I often wonder if many of these viewers actually watch a show for what it is worth, without per-conceived and easily led minds being set before they even see it?, has any one else noticed that very popular show transcend both our cultures?

9. David Knox February 21, 2013 at 8:57 pm -

Probably. One of us can go through all my ratings posts to check, as the site has always been set up for self-service. I vote you. ;-)

10. mj February 21, 2013 at 8:16 pm -

Really enjoyed M&M M but confused by Andrew Mercado’s comment. Isn’t he the tv expert guy? The Last resort got a lead in of 1.7m and M&M M got a lousy lead in.

David, when was the last time an audience jumped over 500,000 from the show before it? Has it ever happened?

11. CM February 21, 2013 at 7:12 pm -

I really enjoyed Mr and Mrs Murder. Fun and quirky. I particularly liked it when Kat Stewart’s character started purring when she was being cuddled. I’ve never seen that before. I hope it can continue to entertain in such an unexpected way. Will be watching again next week.

12. jshaw February 21, 2013 at 4:43 pm -

I enjoyed watching Mr & Mrs Murder it was alright. Will be watching it again. I think GLEE will get pulled from 7:30pm & prob end up on ELEVEN.

13. Adam February 21, 2013 at 4:07 pm -

I really enjoyed Mr and Mrs Murder, hopefully it’ll get the recognition it deserves when Last Resort goes bye bye.

14. lin February 21, 2013 at 3:34 pm -

Thought Mr & Mrs Murder was very lightweight. Don’t think I’ll bother with it again. Kat Stewart was the best thing about it by a mile.

15. rabbles February 21, 2013 at 3:05 pm -

I can’t say I’m surprised with Glee’s numbers. Ch10 really scaled back on promoting it. They didn’t even show a promo for this weeks episode after last weeks aired and I saw maybe one ad for it during the week. I wouldn’t be surprised if people thought that they’d abruptly yanked it from the schedule again and didn’t bother tuning in. I almost didn’t. I don’t understand why they’ve stopped showing promos after the episodes, they’re still at least two episodes behind the US, it’s not like they don’t have the material for it. Another baffling move from the brains trust at 10.

16. Jason February 21, 2013 at 3:02 pm -

The review was in relation to US TV, not Austn.

17. Jason February 21, 2013 at 3:00 pm -

Ah, so The Last Resort only ran for 13 eps in the USA. Like 99% of Australians I didn’t know that. The only review I read says – “The show is great, a little mystery, some action. I only wish that they wouldn’t have this show on at the same time as The Big Bang Theory and 2.5 Men. Those shows are going to kill the ratings to this show. Why would they want to compete with these shows that have been the top shows for some time.”
    And that’s what it’s all about – what’s on the other channels? That’s TEN’s problem. Not necessarily that TEN’s content is crap, but ABC, 7 & 9 just have something more attractive.

18. Chris February 21, 2013 at 2:19 pm -

So Good Wife comes back and I only find out in the next days ratings, same as the S4 premiere :/ Guess I’ll have to catch up elsewhere.

19. C-Boy February 21, 2013 at 2:13 pm -

I’ll be watching more of Mr & Mrs Murder. Great show. Lol at channel nine trying to ruin Last Resort and Mr & Mrs Murder’s ratings by showing The Blind Side.

20. deedeedragons February 21, 2013 at 1:50 pm -

I’m glad 7 is showing a series that has already been axed before it started here.

21. savebueller February 21, 2013 at 1:48 pm -

The problem i have Andrew is the the disingenuous nature of the promotion. I cannot commend Seven for making Last Resort a success because they’ve essentially lied to their audience in the implication that this was some hit American show. Yeah its promoted as an event mostly, but its an event that doesn’t even have a proper ending. I’d wager 80-90% of people who gave it a go last night had no idea the show was cancelled stateside.

Then again, it doesn’t even matter what Seven plays at this point. If they advertise it people will watch it. Seems a lot of Oztam box owners have difficulty changing the channel.

22. Carringbush February 21, 2013 at 1:41 pm -

The figures for MMM should bump when timeshifting is taken into consideration. As we were watching Masterchef, we taped MMM.

@ Jennome – Sad to hear you say it needed more explanation in the opening show – too often OZ shows are guilty of that.

@ IheartABC – Yes, thought it was funny that Ch7 are now promoting an axed show as a mini-series but must admit I got hooked on the first episode so will probably continue. Once again Ch7 may have created a silk purse out of a sow’s head.

23. Craig February 21, 2013 at 1:26 pm -

I really like Mr & Mrs Murder and it’s nice to see it did relatively well for TEN, lets just hope they can fix the rest of the night. I don’t know what happened to Glee, TEN has done all it can promoting the show and fast tracking it for the most part.

24. smit0847 February 21, 2013 at 12:45 pm -

I wonder if Ch 10 have a minimum rating requirement for a show to avoid being axed? I know the magic million mark is the test for a show being considered a ‘hit’, but what about at the other end? As much as the network may love the idea of Glee and The Good Wife (the Good Wife last night was an extremely confusing episode and Im so glad Kalinda’s husband is gone as I couldnt care less about their weird relationship), surely under 400k they would be seriously considering a replacement show, and under 300K they yank it immediately?

Or is it that they have nothing to replace it with? Surely repeats of The Simpsons would rate better than Glee did last night?

I know we’re only 2 weeks into the 2013 ratings year but I really cant see Ch 10’s fortunes turning around much this year compared to last – they dont really have any sure-fire hits on the horizon except normal Masterchef and based on how MCP is rating I dont think that will be as popular as last year.

25. Andrew Mercado February 21, 2013 at 12:36 pm -

savebueller, I think Seven should be commended for turning an axed show into a few weeks of reasonable ratings. Nine and Ten would both dump the shows but Seven promotes them as “events” and a curious audience tunes in .. at least at the start. Then they play out the whole series even if that involves moving it to a later timeslot. it’s better than dumping it altogether and I’m more suprised that Ten is getting an “easy pass” for a new Aussie drama that was soundly beaten by an axed American series

26. IheartABC February 21, 2013 at 12:34 pm -

I saw the 7 was promoting The Last Resort as a mini series. LOL ROFL LMFAO

13 eps – longest min series ever.

27. s5000 February 21, 2013 at 12:15 pm -

As much as I love Shaun and Kat, this didn’t grab me. It will have to be a very slow night on the box for me to return next week.

28. savebueller February 21, 2013 at 12:08 pm -

Ugh. I find it pretty annoying how Seven just gets an easy pass milking decent ratings from shows that have been cancelled. It worked with GCB for them too. Definitely doesn’t help Ten when MKR goes till 8:40.

29. stevie g February 21, 2013 at 11:59 am -

I wanted that hour of my life back after watching the silly nonsence of Mr & Mrs M. I’ll be very surprised if the ratings hold up for next week. Meanwhile the low rating Glee was a very good episode.

30. Jennome February 21, 2013 at 11:56 am -

I thought it was okaaaay … but it seemed to be missing an opening episode, i.e. a better explanation of who and what they were, the relationship with the detective – why were they virtually telling him how to run the case, and him asking them their opinion etc? Basic stuff like that. I’ll watch again, but it needs a big improvement.

31. alvar February 21, 2013 at 11:51 am -

I wasn’t sure how to take Mr and Mrs Murder, very different to other procedurals. Great cast and it wasn’t too heavy or fast paced and had some quirky moments.

Numbers weren’t that great, but it could build as it is an easy watch and last resort would be very serialised.

I was also impressed with the fact that Ten actually start their programs on time!

32. Lizzie May February 21, 2013 at 11:47 am -

I really wanted this to be good…but it wasn’t. I didn’t care about anyone or anything that was happening on the screen. And what on earth was Shaun doing – you could read all over his face…”Are people buying this…because I’m not”….He wasn’t convincing at all. Kat was the only one in control, seemingly in front and behind the scenes.

Channel 10 must be very worried about those numbers, because it will drop next week.

33. Tracey B February 21, 2013 at 11:31 am -

Mixed feelings about Mr & Mrs Murder – agree with David’s review, chemistry and banter between the leads is terrific. Not sure that the premise is strong enough though, can see the gimmick wearing off quick. But full marks Ten for going outside the box.

Indeed Neighbours seems to be topping the multi-channels once more, after struggling a bit last year. Would be very curious to see how it would do back on the main channel but only if the current story telling keeps up. Is quite entertaining at present.

34. J Bar February 21, 2013 at 11:25 am -

Mr & Mrs Murder was excellent. Hopefully word of mouth will bring in more viewers next week.

35. victor February 21, 2013 at 11:20 am -

Like thousands of others I was very curious about Mr & Mrs Murder. However the premise is so flimsy, plot so ill conceived that it reminded me of the disastrous Tricky Business. Husband and wife cleaning time solving crimes with it appears an occassional appearance from a police detective. And scenes played out to death so you can get to the joke, excruciating. The 150,000 viewers who deserted this show proves that if Ten could make a really good Australian drama it could help it out of its deep hole. But the premise, writing and execution has to be a hell of a lot better than this. I suspect David I have just said what you were dying to say in your tepid review.

36. John Jackson February 21, 2013 at 10:45 am -

Good on Mr and Mrs Murder!

But look at Neighbours.. still basically the highest performer on the multi-channels, and nearly topping some of the shows on the main channel.

Makes me wonder the numbers it would be getting if it was somehow tested back on the main channel. Afterall 10 brought Simpsons back there after saying Simpsons was going to be 11 only.

37. daveinprogress February 21, 2013 at 10:42 am -

Good for local drama/comedy to have the first ep of Mr & Mrs Murder top that network’s night. But wow, how they have slumped. I hope that Offspring is able to keep its high 900,000 figures (even reached the magic million i recall) when it returns, but alas i think the audience slide will affect even the very best local content. Shame.

38. oztvheritage February 21, 2013 at 10:41 am -

That’s not a bad figure for MMM considering everything around it failed. (Ten still came fourth….again). I liked it. It was different…fresh, but maybe thought it would be better than what it was…..Will give it another go next week. Is it just me or is The Project doing worse in its 2013 time slot?

39. Darcey09 February 21, 2013 at 10:24 am -

Wasn’t expecting that headline.

40. Evan43 February 21, 2013 at 10:20 am -

Considering that Channel 7 promoted “Last Resort” so much, a national audience of 1.13 million following MKR was a relatively poor result. And knowing that the series was axed in the U.S after 13 episodes doesn’t give you much incentive to watch it.

41. Pete February 21, 2013 at 10:12 am -

Really pleased Ten did good numbers for Mr and Mrs Murder – same numbers Offspring was getting in that timeslot. But Glee and The Good Wife are letting the team down. To all those that were heralding the return of GW, where were you? Atrocious numbers but not surprised because that is the numbers it has been getting year in, year out.

My suggestion – I would be having new episodes of Modern Family on Wednesdays instead of burying them at 7.00pm Sundays, then Mr and Mrs and then Can of Worms. Surely this would do better than Ten running fourth again.

42. neat121 February 21, 2013 at 10:01 am -

Mr & Mrs Murder is a great show! Lets hope it picks up on some more numbers….

43. fairdinkum February 21, 2013 at 9:56 am -

Interesting, Shaun Micallef in prime time on 2 channels on same night! I can’t remember when that has been done before. Come on 7 & 9 you need Shaun!