Stormy weather as Seven’s David Brown dumped for Giaan Rooney

By David Knox on February 3, 2013 / Filed Under News 42

2012-12-21_0202More changes at Seven News Melbourne -as predictable as Melbourne’s four seasons in one day- sees David Brown removed as 6pm weather presenter after nearly 20 years in the role.

Instead he has been relegated to weather reports on the 4:30 news and  filing reports on weather events for Sunrise, Sunday Night, Today Tonight.

As tipped by TV Tonight, Giaan Rooney’s instalment as weather presenter over summer was simply part of a bigger plan to replace Brown permanently. A Seven spokesperson recently told me he would be returning from holidays in February -but it’s now clear not to the same role.

Seven has been determined to lift its ailing Melbourne figures and sees a female presence as adding to its appeal, opposite Nine’s Livinia Nixon.

While Brown, 52, has been a meteorologist for decades, Rooney, 30, only has 6 weeks experience in presenting weather.

“I did not use scripts,” he told the Sunday Herald Sun.

“I analysed the maps myself using my years of experience as a meteorologist to make forecasts.

“I definitely think my experience brought something extra to the role.”

In December amid speculation about his future, Seven News director Simon Pristel said, “Nothing has changed with his status or role.”

But in television such claims are usually the calm before the storm.

Dumping presenters can frequently backfire in television. TEN copped a barrage of criticism for letting go presenters including Helen Kapalos, Bill McDonald and Ron Wilson. It took years for Nine to recover from replacing Mark Ferguson with Peter Overton in Sydney.

Tactfully, Brown said of his new role, ”I see it as just another fork in the road.

“It will be a new challenge after 20 years.”

1. Rita February 20, 2013 at 10:19 am -

I think that’s not fair !!!
    Personally I think David Brown was excellent as a presenter of the weather. He is so nice and kind. He has this this charisma about him. Very pleasant personality. Highly professional, with a soft sweet voice. And I don’t like this Giaan Rooney ! It doesn’t suit her to present the weather. Would have been better for her to be presenting any kind of sports news. I don’t watch the weather anymore on 7. I switch to channel 10. They haven’t got rid of Mike! And he’s a nice personality too.

2. debralee February 17, 2013 at 8:34 pm -

I really think David Brown’s talents are truely wasted by him only reporting the weather on the 4.30 news. He is a very qualified meteorologist, and he should be back reporting where he belongs – on the prime time 6 pm news report. The forecast needs to be informative and be reported by someone who understands what they are talking about, not just reading off a script. Bring Back Brownie !!!

3. A. February 5, 2013 at 12:42 am -

I’ll admit I know of a family member that now watches Nine News over this. Plus I haven’t been watching the Commercial News recently. Also I’m not happy about the hour news thing and flick over to try to get the weather from Nine now when I used to watch David Brown. Although they too aren’t reliable in ending at 6.30pm. So I can miss the weather. Not a happy camper at the moment. I’ll admit there are two things I like and that is the Seven ads and their small solid symbol. Nine’s is the worst of both world’s. Largish and attempts to be semi-transparent.

Lastly but not the least important thing I wish David Brown the best.

4. IheartABC February 4, 2013 at 3:53 pm -

For we Sydney viewers for whom this holds no relevance – whatever happened to the girl who read weather for 7 in Sydney. Sarah someone or another. Brunette and too attractive for telly.

5. jonno February 4, 2013 at 3:09 pm -

Not really keen on David or Giaan. Both a bit boring. Most of us really only want to know if its going to be hot or cold or if its going to rain. They should go for a comedian or someone with a bit of personality. Make it fun.

6. Jennome February 4, 2013 at 2:47 pm -

Regardless of her qualifications, or lack thereof, I don’t fine Giaan very good at all. And contrary to PDA’s remark that she’s a talent – not really. She’s a former swimmer, who like so many other sportspeople, manage to inveigle their way into the media because they happen to have a reasonably good looking head, and can talk a bit. Not a lot of talent needed for that.

7. Craig February 4, 2013 at 8:29 am -

Another reason to hate Seven, dump experienced weather man for a cute girl! But is this a big surprise, I mean they already dumb down the news and TT is a joke why not the weather.

8. cleavy February 3, 2013 at 9:53 pm -

9. Stan February 3, 2013 at 9:45 pm -

Sorry David Knox. Got my ‘Daves’ confused & was meant to reply to DaveM. :)

10. David Knox February 3, 2013 at 9:21 pm -

Stan : no.

11. cynical old codger February 3, 2013 at 8:46 pm -

@ David Knox

Thanks David and I would just love to pay my bet, but I as I just explained to Steve, I am one of those oldies, and if we believe him, I cannot break old habits, and still mostly use cash.

But I also do not want let my generation down, so I will attempt a direct deposit transfer thingo.

Please bear in mind I am trying some high tech stuff for an oldie, but here goes anyway ……….
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$, because we did not discuss odds as such, just take as many dollars you think the bet was worth, and donate the rest to the fund, for the flurry of redundant multi format hour long presenters that may soon be cast aside “again “.

12. Stan February 3, 2013 at 8:19 pm -

David Knox, did you pull your comment from here? I was about to reply that you’ll find most of the meteorologists still working in TV at ABC News & Sky News Weather (The Weather Channel).

13. David Knox February 3, 2013 at 8:03 pm -

CoC: sorry but you just lost your bet.

14. Andrew February 3, 2013 at 5:56 pm -

It is interesting that people think it’s only a recent phenomenon to have pretty young females presenting weather on TV. It’s been happening since the 1960s back in the days when Rosemary Margan once took off her frock to reveal a bikini to demonstrate to us it was going to be hot the next day

And Channel 10 in Adelaide in the ’70s used to have a female weather presenter who never spoke she was just there to write the temperatures on the map of Australia as the cameraman would almost zoom in as she bent over, while the newsreader read the forecast out.

The list of pretty young weather girls on TV over the years is a mile long. Fact is that meteorologists no matter how good they are have always been in the minority when it comes to presenting weather on TV. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong but it’s the way it is and way it has been for a long time.

15. bettestreep2008 February 3, 2013 at 5:39 pm -

Disgraceful.

Now we have Livinia Nixon and Gian Rooney reading the weather from an autocue.

Who needs meteorologists – someone who actually understands the weather!

16. cynical old codger February 3, 2013 at 5:11 pm -

@Steve…..I bet David Knox was wondering how long it would be before I replied and let you get away with such comments.
    Yes there is the BOM and Weather Zone and Stormtrackers and Elders Weather pages etc. just to name a few,unforunately not always up to date with data readings, …and sometimes when things get realy rough they fail completely, and have often used one of these computer things to ask why? but they are also Ultra Clinical and usually Non Commital in their deliver regarding “Climate Change Influences” and “Non Personal” that blokes like ‘ Brownie’ can bridge but remain as Professional those you prefer. There is a big difference a Profesional with Personality and just a Personality
    As a baby boomer, possibly at the ‘elderly nuisance’ end of your scale.
    May I remind you that we have experienced more radical changes, than later generations would have had the patience we had, also many of the Younger and Smarter Generations, would not be “Generations” at All, if we had todays attitudes, as we had Families, not sources of $$ Baby Bonuses

17. cynical old codger February 3, 2013 at 4:18 pm -

Possibly the lame and conscience clearing excuse used by Seven, was that David Brown was just to good at his job, and in rating chasing mode that can be dangerous for some, when they tell it like it is.

18. daff2 February 3, 2013 at 3:17 pm -

I find Giaan terrible at ‘reading’ the weather. Another reason to avoid channel 7.

19. karebear February 3, 2013 at 2:31 pm -

I’m not too familiar with David Brown (I’m in nth Qld where Peter Burne was replaced by a younger, prettier model. Although she is actually a meteorologist too so that’s not too bad.) But David Brown was great on Sunrise for a short time a few years back. IMO an actual meteorologist adds credibility. If they need more of a female presence, why not get Giaan Rooney presenting sport? Doesn’t that make more sense?

20. Mr. J February 3, 2013 at 2:14 pm -

Surely it would be better to bump sandy Roberts, who has always divided people and put giaane on sport, she is a sportsperson and has experience presenting sport.

Then theyd have a sports person on sport, an experienced meteorologist on weather, and a veteran newsreader and still get their female presence. Seems it would be a win win win, this situation is bizarre.

21. Steve February 3, 2013 at 1:58 pm -

I wonder what network TV is going to do when the baby boomers die. No-one needs a weather report on television anymore. We can get far more from bom.gov.au than we’re ever going to get from a TV weather report.

The only reason these things still exist is because boomers can’t get themselves out of the habit of religiously watching it.

22. Maev....Sydney February 3, 2013 at 1:45 pm -

Seems a silly move to me….I watch Graham Creed on ABC24….or the Weatherchannel online…

23. peter February 3, 2013 at 1:33 pm -

And ch 7 news advertiser there motto
    as ‘Experience is the difference.”

24. Lyn February 3, 2013 at 1:02 pm -

What a shame!
    I like David Brown.

25. par3182 February 3, 2013 at 12:55 pm -

Next up: Giaan presents the weather in a bikini. Welcome to 1976.

26. DaveM February 3, 2013 at 12:16 pm -

Apart from Magdalena Roze, how many qualified meteorologisits are across the networks? Anyone know?
    I’d probably know more about weather than Giaan…but hey, the networks love a pretty face. Qualified or not…

27. dan February 3, 2013 at 12:05 pm -

Don’t live in Melbourne but I agree that it is a stupid thing to do by getting rid of a highly experienced person and putting in a younger person with no experience hope it backfires on seven and they loose all their viewers

28. kaw February 3, 2013 at 12:02 pm -

Great move Ch7 because I’m going to switch from 9 to 7 to look at a female present the weather…which is what i already get on 9..instead of getting better weather details from someone who understands the words that are coming out of his mouth, oh well at least now..when I do stick around to watch the weather because I’m to lazy to open the BOM website..I don’t need to switch over to Ch7 and potential miss it anyway.

29. gbh February 3, 2013 at 11:53 am -

I like David Brown. But really, I don’t need a meteorologist on the news to tell me it’s going to rain tomorrow and be 24 degrees the next day.

30. Riga February 3, 2013 at 11:50 am -

And so the dumbing down continues. Commercial TV ‘news’ has become a mere procession of talking catwalk models. Style over substance.

31. lulu February 3, 2013 at 11:45 am -

What an incredibly bad decision by seven. A respectected man in his field is dumped for a script reader? What the heck is going on in the minds of the people that run these shows? Quite frankly it’s awful watching Giaan at the moment, she looks completely out of place. The only reason I can see for this change is that she must be cheaper for the network.

32. Dave February 3, 2013 at 11:38 am -

They’re going in the wrong direction. In this day and age where weather is going to play a bigger part in news we need people that know weather. David Brown is a meteorologist and we need more poeple like him presenting weather. This is just silly. She’s a swimmer. The last meteorologist I can remember presenting weather was Alan Wilkie in Sydney. By the way what ever happened to Alan?

33. TVScene February 3, 2013 at 11:25 am -

Thanks David Brown, it was fun.

Also, I don’t know who is picking Giann’s wardrobe, but it is an interesting study in how to make an attractive girl look dowdy and overdressed. She looks a lovely girl, but would be better suited dressed wearing something that reflects that. She is a great talent.

34. danoh February 3, 2013 at 11:10 am -

Seven are doing more harm than good in their desperation to be number 1.

35. Gaz February 3, 2013 at 11:07 am -

As lovely as Giaan is, she knows nothing about the weather. What is it with Networks in general having pretty women read the weather ? Livinia Nixon knows nothing about the weather either, instead someone else prepares the weather report in the afternoon for her to read.

36. miabelle February 3, 2013 at 11:05 am -

This seems like a very ill thought through decision. I don’t care much for ch7 news but ill often flick over to watch David Brown’s weather as I know he actually knows his stuff. I like Livinia on Ch9 but she is a presenter, not a meteorologist and sometimes i want to know more detail about weather events. Until now, that was a point if difference and credibility for ch7. Giaan Rooney is a good performer but I don’t think the weather is a good match for her. A bad decision all round. All the best to David for the future.

37. Scooby February 3, 2013 at 9:47 am -

It’s appears somewhat typical when ratings drop for a particular network they tend to panic and copy what their rivals are doing instead of sticking to a point of difference. With news and current affairs, they tend to push the “experience that makes the difference” yet make decisions that are totally opposite. In this changing world with crazy weather patterns, wouldn’t it make sense to promote how experienced your weatherman is? You know, an Actual weatherman?

38. Ruddeger February 3, 2013 at 9:41 am -

How is Giann being on for a couple of minutes at the end of the bulletin going to lift ratings ?
    I’d prefer someone who knows what they’re talking about,not someone who is just there for their pretty face and is just reading a clipboard that was prepared by someone else.

Another bad move from Seven.

39. ashbeer February 3, 2013 at 9:31 am -

Very very disappointing! Brownie’s the only qualified meteorologist on commercial tv in melb! Bad call!

40. DIESEL21 February 3, 2013 at 8:48 am -

How can I say this without swearing.. Not happy Jan!

41. Mark W February 3, 2013 at 8:43 am -

A terrible decision Channel 7..Hoiw can a station git rid of someone who actually understands weather and never needs an autocue with someone who cannot anaylse the weather map and needs an autocue to read the weather.I’m furious with 7.

42. PDA February 3, 2013 at 8:23 am -

My forecast is a year downy the track this move won’t be helping ratings and there’ll be a credibility issue with Giaan and he’ll be back. His expertise is a positive point of difference between 7 & 9. I really think Giaan is a talent but needs a more appropriate vehicle.