Axed: CSI: NY, Body of Proof, Rules of Engagement.

By David Knox on May 12, 2013 / Filed Under News, Top Stories 27

2013-05-11_2251The axe has fallen on more US shows ahead of the Upfronts.

CSI: New York will not return for a 10th season on CBS.

Rules of Engagement ends at seven seasons.

TNT’s critically-acclaimed police drama Southland wraps at five seasons.

ABC has cancelled Happy Endings after three seasons.

Body of Proof with Dana Delany will not be back for a fourth season.

Ryan Murphy’s The New Normal is axed by NBC.

Matthew Perry’s sitcom Go On is another casualty.

Vegas starring Dennis Quaid, Michael Chiklis, Jason O’Mara and Carrie-Anne Moss.

Golden Boy from executive producer Greg Berlanti is gone.

Red Widow starring Australia’s Radha Mitchell ends with one season.

Meanwhile Burn Notice will end after its upcoming seventh season, with creator Matt Nix developing a new medical series for the USA Network.

Source: Hollywood Reporter, Deadline

1. Kristi May 15, 2013 at 10:42 pm -

A shame about The New Normal and Happy Endings, I really enjoyed both shows. I’m a bit obsessed with Burn Notice at the moment so I’m glad it’s being given an official final season, it’s always tough when a favourite show ends abruptly and you don’t get to say a decent farewell to the characters. I’m still scarred from “Angel”‘s sudden cancellation!

2. bapzik May 14, 2013 at 5:00 pm -

I still can’t believe CSI: NY wasn’t given a tenth and final season to wrap up the show.
    I keep reading that it wasn’t too bad for CBS in the ratings departments, was even better before they moved it to a new day and time.
    It was a great show and a great cast, which kept it’s core cast to the end with only one major one leaving, one only least the first season so I won’t count that lol.
    What are the chances of another network picking it up? I hear TNT has saved shows in the past.

3. David Knox May 13, 2013 at 10:38 pm -

Fairly Legal was due next week but is now out.

4. Mike R May 13, 2013 at 10:13 pm -

Seven had Body of Proof, Fairly Legal and Royal Pains.
    All good shows, shot well, looked good and good bit rate.
    What did they do with them?

Gave them the grave yard slots.

5. Craig May 13, 2013 at 6:10 pm -

@AEDDIE re-Patrick Warburton I say bring back The Tick!

6. melmac May 13, 2013 at 2:59 pm -

Love Southland so I’m going to miss that big time.

Pity about Golden Boy it’s quite a good show with an interesting framing setup unfortunately it just hasn’t seemed to click with viewers which is a bummer because I really like it :(

7. AEDDIE May 13, 2013 at 1:54 pm -

Sad that Rules of Engagement got axed. I really liked that show and I especially liked Patrick Warburton on the show too. He is hilarious. I do hope he gets a new show really soon and that whatever it is gets shown on Australian television.

8. Jason S May 13, 2013 at 11:27 am -

Rumours are USA network may pick up Happy Endings. Looks like Rules of Engagement will get a proper send off in the season finale so I’m not too bummed about that. Annoyed TNT cancelled Southland; the most recent season in the states ended on a but of a cliffhanger so no resolution it seems.

9. catherine May 12, 2013 at 8:17 pm -

Im going to miss Body of Proof. I loved that show

10. Craig May 12, 2013 at 6:49 pm -

Shame Happy Endings and Rules of Engagement were canceled, liked both but I’ll miss Go On the most, Matthew Perry can’t catch a break.

I hope he can join an established show, maybe reprise his role on The Good Wife?

RoE I like most of the character but Adam is an idiot and seemed to get worse every week.

11. Paul007 May 12, 2013 at 6:31 pm -

Disappointing news to hear Southland got the axe, it was one of those shows that was excellent, well received by the people who watched it. I agree with the other fellow post who said Channel 9 buried it in a bad timeslot. However CH9 has a history of burying great shows in bad timeslots. The Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under and Damages come to mind. TNT are getting a lot of flack for the Southland axing.

12. Stevito May 12, 2013 at 6:22 pm -

I would have liked to see another season of CSI: NY

Oh well.

13. Pertinax May 12, 2013 at 1:44 pm -

Body of Proof’s ratings improved a bit towards end of the season and it might have survived.

But no surprises with the rest. Many of them ended up being burnt off at the weekend.

The third Season of Happy Endings looked tired, they just didn’t seem that keen on doing midseason replacement season.

There were a few good things they did in the 2nd season of Smash, but too late. And for every good thing they did lots of silly things like randomly killing off Kyle as a cliffhanger then doing a soppy tribute episode to the character.

14. Lyn May 12, 2013 at 1:43 pm -

CSI NY was the only one of the franchise that
    I really liked. :(

15. Rayne May 12, 2013 at 12:52 pm -

I thought Southland was one of the best shows on TV, shame Nine shafted it to after midnight some nights. Will miss CSI: NY and Body Of Proof too :(

16. nevothirty May 12, 2013 at 12:44 pm -

half of these shows I’ve never heard of the other half surprise me they made it past a pilot. the new normal is the only show on that list I’ve watched and enjoyed, all though I think it might have been more successful as an online show.

17. Andrew_83 May 12, 2013 at 12:05 pm -

Surely another network will pick up Happy Endings!? I’s one of the funniest, clever shows on atm

18. Guy May 12, 2013 at 12:05 pm -

No surprises here really. Although i thought ABC might renew Body of Proof for a 4th season and move it to Fridays but i guess its had its chance. Its one of two shows on the big list of cancellations i’ll miss. Smash is the other one. The last few weeks it has finally hit back and had brilliant episodes but unfortunately its too little, too late.

19. APM May 12, 2013 at 11:41 am -

so mad they axed Happy Endings, it was one of the funniest comedies on TV with a great cast that just clicked.

I heard another network in the US were interested in picking up the show if it were to get the axe, fingers crossed!

20. Leppie May 12, 2013 at 11:24 am -

I seriously enjoyed Go on so much… I’m so upset it’s going. :-(

21. ph May 12, 2013 at 10:50 am -

Vegas should be on One instead of all the Criminal Intent episodes. The New Normal should be found a slot on Eleven, again in place of all those repeated sitcoms. CSI NY instead of repeats of Miami on Nine. And Red Widow put on Mate asap, could do with some drama again instead the same comedies on a loop. You have bought all this new content so please for the love of free to air just show it.

22. carolemorrissey May 12, 2013 at 10:46 am -

Not really surprised at CSI:NY since there were rumours when CSI Miami got axed last year that it was getting axed too but got a reprieve. Will miss it though. Ch 9 treats it abominably though, keeps bringing it back with a few eps, then it disappears. Don’t know why they don’t show the new episodes on GEM on Saturday nights instead of repeats. Shame about Body Of Proof and Rules Of Engagement, really like those shows. Don’t mind The New Normal so not broken hearted about it.

23. Jduder May 12, 2013 at 10:27 am -

I’m not surprised that Body of Proof got axed, considering that a lot of good cast members didn’t return for the third season.

24. tomothyd May 12, 2013 at 9:52 am -

I could see The New Normal and Go On would not last. Rules of Engagement ends this week with the 100th episode, which is the number required for syndication. There has been doubt for a couple of years on the shows future.
    I think when the focus moved more towards Jeff and Audrey rather than the engaged Adam and Jen, it improved the show. The last couple of episodes this season has led towards it being a series finale rather than season finale.

25. David Knox May 12, 2013 at 9:48 am -

Yes see Pay TV.

26. jumpingben May 12, 2013 at 9:38 am -

Didn’t Smash get canceled too David? I wouldn’t be surprised if it was, the first season was fantastic then went down hill from there.

27. dwuuuu May 12, 2013 at 7:27 am -