Eurovision 2013: the favourites

By David Knox on May 8, 2013 / Filed Under News 11

Rehearsals for the Eurovision Song Contest got underway this week in Malmö, Sweden.

The bookies have been on the money for nine of the last ten years.

This year they are tipping neighbouring Denmark with a song that almost channels last year’s Euphoria by Loreen.

Here are the top 5 according to the bookies.

DENMARK: Emmelie De Forest – Only Teardrops

UKRAINE: Zlata Ognevich – Gravity

NORWAY: Margaret Berger – I Feed You My Love

RUSSIA: Dina Garipova – What If (Russia)

ITALY: Marco Mengoni – L’Essenziale

GERMANY: Cascada – Glorious

David Knox blogs Eurovision for SBS.

1. Ebony Loves Eurovision May 9, 2013 at 2:09 pm -

I really like Norway’s techno-rock-Matrix inspiration.

Wonder how Ukraine are going to get the golden unicorn on stage on the night? ;-)

2. blindowl May 9, 2013 at 11:02 am -

Really liked the Russian entry – one of those “inspirational” songs which just might sway the voters

3. bettestreep2008 May 9, 2013 at 9:45 am -

Dragonlass – the UK have entered songs by Andrew Lloyd Webber, Engelbert Humperdick and now Bonnie Tyler.

Andrew and Englebert failed miserably and Bonnie is destined to get NIL points from a number of countries.

The reasons are purely political – especially after Tony Blair joined George W and John Howard to start an illegal war with Iraq.

Eurovision is not just about music – but also about politics.

If you are a betting person – put money on every country but the UK.

p.s. I love Bonnie Tyler and she will be magnificent in Malmo. But like I stated – the contest is also about politics.

4. smit0847 May 9, 2013 at 9:02 am -

Such a fun night – looking forward to it!

5. Sandra Crack May 8, 2013 at 7:28 pm -

If your interested in the behind the scenes details of Eurovision check out the production managers (ola) blog here – m-m-pr.com/index.php/esc-diary-2013

6. David Knox May 8, 2013 at 6:07 pm -

Correct.

7. DragonLass May 8, 2013 at 6:03 pm -

Oops I meant the BBC, obviously SBS can’t bring it back if he’s not doing it anymore!

8. DragonLass May 8, 2013 at 6:00 pm -

Surprised no love for the UK entry…. Bonnie Tyler is a well known name and her song is very good.
    Of course the problem is nobody ever votes for the UK, but it has been shown that unpopular countries can still win when their song is good enough.

But lots of good entries this year. Looking forward to it. Just wish SBS would bring back the Terry Wogan commentary :(

9. craigj77 May 8, 2013 at 5:56 pm -

Theres a whole lot of beige this year. Especially the eastern bloc.
    I was excited to hear Cascada were onboard for Germany, but I’m not a fan of the song.
    Ireland is my favourite this year. There’s always a WTF? entry, this year, for me… Romania!

10. maxxdude May 8, 2013 at 4:43 pm -

Danish entry is good but I think the Swedish song/singer is the best I have heard so far.

11. Sophie May 8, 2013 at 4:42 pm -

If they’re the frontrunners, I’d be handing Germany the trophy (but my heart still belongs to Sweden).