Nine gives Seven renovation show a Big Bang

By David Knox on May 16, 2013 / Filed Under News 32

2013-05-16_0957Seven’s new renovation show slipped further last night with House Rules down from 803,000 on its premiere to 784,000. Nine’s Big Bang Theory at 8pm whacked it with 1.23m.

In Perth, where the first house is being renovated, Seven’s loyal audience is loving the show, with 168,000 watching -higher than 162,000 in Sydney.

Despite the challenges, Seven still managed to come close in primetime share.

Nine Network share was 30.2% then Seven 29.3%, ABC 19.25, TEN 16.5% and SBS 4.8%.

Nine News was #1 for the night with 1.3m then Big Bang (1.23m), The Block and A Current Affair (both 1.06m),  Arrow (971,000), Hot Seat (706,000) and The Following (437,000).

Seven News was 1.26m for Seven then Today Tonight (1.00m), Home and Away (954,000), House Rules (784,000), Criminal Minds (681,000 / 420,000 in 4 cities), Deal or No Deal (534,000) and Revenge (243,000 in 1 city).

ABC News was 903,000 for ABC1 with Adam Hills Tonight starting well on 797,000.  Qi was 735,000, then 7:30 (727,000), Would I Lie to You? (489,000) and Time Team (290,000).

A new Modern Family was 719,000 (rpt 555,000) for TEN then TEN News (650,000), The Project (550,000) and the final Mr and Mrs Murder (454,000). The Simpsons was 358,000 and The Good Wife was 343,000.

It was a tough night for SBS with World News Australia (198,000), Jimmy’s Forest (187,000), Borgen (140,000) and Extreme Frontiers: Canada (136,000).

Shaun the Sheep again led multichannels with 314,000

OzTAM Overnights: Wednesday 15 May 2013

1. jezlee22 May 16, 2013 at 11:30 pm -

I’m sad about the numbers for Mr & Mrs Murder. I really enjoyed this show. I loved the chemistry between Shaun and Kat and enjoyed a bit of a piss take on all the crime shows that have been stuffed down our throats. I’d love if ABC picked it up for a second season if Channel 10 doesn’t.

2. wwenrl May 16, 2013 at 6:28 pm -

Thank you so much David!! I’m really happy that Craig Ferguson is beating Conan, not that I don’t like Conan, it’s that Craig Ferguson is the Best!! And you really can’t compare it to David Letterman because his on the main channel, Ch 10! But if he was on the digital channel, Craig Ferguson will beat him as well. Go Ferguson!!

3. David Knox May 16, 2013 at 4:59 pm -

Letterman: 46,000
    CF: 30,000
    Conan: 23,000

4. wwenrl May 16, 2013 at 4:40 pm -

David can you please tell me, the late night ratings? David Letterman, Craig Ferguson and Conan yesterday? Thanks heaps!

5. jshaw May 16, 2013 at 3:23 pm -

Enough of the renovations & relatity tv. Networks should be producing new comedy shows.

6. james23 May 16, 2013 at 3:01 pm -

Wow, House Rules is now up there with Fremantle’s Everybody Dance Now and Excess Baggage as the biggest flops ever.

7. OutWest69 May 16, 2013 at 2:39 pm -

Nice House Rules numbers for Perth? It was expected. Ok, so the first house is from Perth but remember this show got the usual 7Perth over hype.
    Through owning the daily newspaper, we get continuous cross promotion for 7 shows, lots of “puff stories” culminating in articles with positive ratings spin for 7.
    One suspects babies are born here with their eyes glued to 7. As my media lecturer once told our class in the 80’s, “7 Perth could show a test pattern in prime time and still win the time slot!” Nothing has changed.

8. Craig May 16, 2013 at 2:33 pm -

Mr & Mrs Murder is a good fun show, shame it’s not getting better ratings, ditto for TGW.

I’m surprised TBBT is rating so well considering Nine seem to movie it at will for new episodes, shame Modern Family isn’t rating better.

Good to see Arrow hoping it’s own just below 1 million, The Following seems to have lost to plot and viewers, no wonder Nine moved it back.

9. Shiraz May 16, 2013 at 2:18 pm -

I gave House Rules a go the first night, but within the first 5 minutes I found myself disliking a number of the contestants. Some of them are just too “perky” for my taste. As horrible as it is to say, I just wanted something to fall on the Queensland couple.

10. vitieddie May 16, 2013 at 2:16 pm -

Was MKR like this when it started?
    Maybe Seven should give it time.

11. tezza1972 May 16, 2013 at 2:08 pm -

@Pertinax I’m not sure where you get your ratings data from, but The Block All Stars averaged around 1.2 million across the series – about 500,000 more than House Rules is so far averaging

12. jezza the first original one May 16, 2013 at 1:59 pm -

Well for the first time in a few years ch7 are actually under the pump. Interesting times…the worm has turned

13. lkernan May 16, 2013 at 1:54 pm -

“Darcey09 May 16, 2013 at 10:18 am –
    Mr & Mrs Murder must be a contender for the flop of the year.”

It’s got some serious competition coming out of Channel 7.

14. BFGfromPerth May 16, 2013 at 1:41 pm -

If you remove Perth and Adelaide numbers and just use SYD, MEL and Bris (the biggest markets and ones networks care about) HR ranked 16 with 519K viewers compared to Block with 901K. Hot Seat out ranked it 603K as did QI and Modern Family. It is a complete flop.

15. Secret Squirrel May 16, 2013 at 12:57 pm -

The under-performance of House Rules is made clearer when you realise that, despite those ridiculous numbers in Perth, it was still fourth in its timeslot.

@Bazza – everyone I know watched Borgen. Why isn’t that rating higher? Which is more likely to have a sampling bias – the whole group of carefully-selected ratings panel members or me and my friends & family?

16. nik c May 16, 2013 at 12:28 pm -

@tvf Arrow will get mucked about by State of Origin NRL in Qld and NSW. That may then affect other states!

17. Pertinax May 16, 2013 at 11:58 am -

House Rules isn’t a hit but it’s holding stead and doing a lot better than Biggest Loser. The Block Allstars wasn’t doing any better against MKR and Masterchef Professionals was doing worse.

Starting House Rules on the back of MKR would have given it large numbers for the premiere. But it may never have rated 1m against The Block once that started.

The two nights of good 1.5m ratings for sprawling 2 hour episodes of Celebrity Splash certainly don’t look worth it considering the disruption to Seven’s regular schedule. That looks like the second biggest blunder so far, after MCP going up against MKR.

18. JoshS May 16, 2013 at 11:49 am -

Darcey09, consider the channel it is on.

If Offspring was on Seven, it’d be massive.

19. salsal17 May 16, 2013 at 11:44 am -

I just watched the first two eps of HR. I actually thought it was quite funny!

20. TVTALK May 16, 2013 at 11:42 am -

Did anyone here actually watch House Rules, instead of just analysing the numbers?

I did, and a most boring bit of TV it was, with some of the most unappealing characters I have seen on reality for a while. I won’t be watching again.

I kept thinking, “Seven now has a pair of duds for the year”. This and (Non) Celeb Splash show a lack of wise judgement from the team at Seven. What’s going on?

21. Tony Bee May 16, 2013 at 11:37 am -

Adam Hills was terrific and good to see Hannah with greater involvement.

I never watched Mr & Mrs Murder, although I like Micallef, because the concept seemed a bit dopey to me.

Most of your friends watched IQ? You need to find some new friends.

22. Erik1981 May 16, 2013 at 11:31 am -

can’t see house rules staying if it goes lower in the ratings than the premiere

23. maxxdude May 16, 2013 at 11:26 am -

I expect the next big flop on Seven will be Kath & Kim on Sunday at 7.30…Tired show stretching the friendship .

24. The Moops May 16, 2013 at 11:20 am -

I doubt whether we will see a second series of Mr & Mrs Murder given those numbers. Dreadful. Not surprised that HR took a hit as The Big Bang Theory wallops anything put against it. I have a very bad vibe about HR and unless it dramatically improves over the next week or so, I think it will be a one season wonder like its ill-fated forerunner, The Renovators.

25. Sammee May 16, 2013 at 11:04 am -

I tuned in to House Rules last night and it was ok, but it definitely needs to be trimmed to 8.30.

26. Pertinax May 16, 2013 at 10:59 am -

@Bazza
    The ratings have a sample of 3500 households which gives an error of a couple of % in the numbers.

Just because you and your friends have similar tastes and watch QI doesn’t mean other people don’t watch something different.

None of my friend watched anything on TV last night because we were in a restaurant. I don’t expect this to have caused a sudden slump in the ratings.

27. tvf May 16, 2013 at 10:53 am -

Good cliffhanger for the season finale of the good wife. It deserved better than those figures. Should be interesting times for the season with the new firm starting up.

Arrow is still rating well. Hopefully it keeps up and nine doesn’t stuff around with it.

28. Bazza May 16, 2013 at 10:30 am -

Everyone I know watched QI. Somehow I don’t think these ratings surveys reflect the real Australia.

I’ve certainly never met one person who was part of a viewing survey, which makes me think the samples are small, which can only lead to statistical error. (lrn2maths)

29. Kev May 16, 2013 at 10:23 am -

An example of crewing the show with the wrong staff and failing in the detail and mechanics of the concept they have stolen. Poorly produced and badly edited. Shame, because some of the content is rather good.

30. Darcey09 May 16, 2013 at 10:18 am -

Mr & Mrs Murder must be a contender for the flop of the year.

31. Pete May 16, 2013 at 10:05 am -

Mr and Mrs Murder will not be renewed on those numbers.

32. Jason May 16, 2013 at 10:04 am -

House Rules beaten by everyone except SBS in Sydney & Melbourne.