Rebel Wilson lands US series

By David Knox on May 12, 2013 / Filed Under News 21

2013-05-12_0021Rebel Wilson now has her very own US comedy series, Super Fun Night.

Co-produced with Conan O’Brien and John Riggi, the comedy has been approved by ABC after previously being declined by CBS.

In the series three nerdy female friends embark on a quest to have super fun every Friday night in the single-cam project.

Also in the cast are Lauren Ash (Lost Girl), Liza Lapira (Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23), Kelen Coleman (The Newsroom)

Wilson, who recently hosts the MTV Movie Awards, had her own Bogan Pride series in Australia on SBS.

Source: TV Line

1. Kristi May 15, 2013 at 10:50 pm -

I’m a bit puzzled about all the Rebel Wilson hate. Fair enough if you don’t enjoy her brand of humour but there’s no denying she’s doing exceptionally well. And she just seems a strange person to ‘hate on’, Rebel comes across like a sweet girl who is quite humble about her success.

I for one think she’s terrific, she seems like the funny girl you’d chat to at the pub, no airs and graces, just lots of wit without any nastiness.

2. PLG1962 May 13, 2013 at 12:21 am -

I can’t understand why people here are unable to accept a different opinion it would be a sad world if we all liked or hated the same thing

Oh and I meant to type untalented not unbalanced

3. J Bar May 12, 2013 at 10:44 pm -

Good on her. We should be celebrating her success but Australians perpetuate the Tall Poppy Syndrome and Cultural Cringe.

4. Sydney2K May 12, 2013 at 9:55 pm -

And it appears to me to be the same names (IMHO anyway.)

5. David Knox May 12, 2013 at 9:29 pm -

Yes it’s only exclusive to this site. ???

6. spiro May 12, 2013 at 7:13 pm -

Tall poppy syndrome seems to be alive & well yet again on tvtonight.com.au
    What a shame

7. David Knox May 12, 2013 at 5:01 pm -

Yes many Aussie actors have had roles, including leads, in US productions. Very few have had their own project picked up. I think the distinction and achievement are pretty easy to acknowledge.

8. nevothirty May 12, 2013 at 4:48 pm -

@David Knox, all though they may not have been Simon Bakers shows (the guardian and the mentalist) he is the main star of both.

9. TM May 12, 2013 at 4:34 pm -

Agree wholeheartedly with @roger001. Fair enough everyone is entitled to an opinion, but some of the comments on here are so stupid that it reveals the people who write them as sad, bitter little souls who get angry when anyone else they happen not to like has a bit of success. No wonder Rebel went to the US. Tall Poppy syndrome is as thriving in Australia as it ever was.

10. roger001 May 12, 2013 at 2:50 pm -

Just because you don’t like her comedy doesn’t mean she’s overrated or not funny. It means you don’t like her comedy. And just because you don’t like her comedy doesn’t make you an expert in comedy.
    I’m neither here or there with Rebel – from what I can see is she has spent the best part of the last decade honing her craft – all power to her – but it seems whenever a comedian has success it leads to a series of troll-like-hate posts on this blog – and I find it both puerile and depressing.
    How many Australian actors have been announced in US Series – there’s been a list of half a dozen this week – where are the ignorant stupid ignorant posts describing them as overrated, inept and not good at acting.

11. David Knox May 12, 2013 at 1:58 pm -

Simon Baker, Alex O’Loughlin, Anna Torv, Rose Byrne, Ryan Kwanten have not appeared in their own show. They appeared in somebody else’s. Jason Gann has. Barry Humphries has.

12. Kevin May 12, 2013 at 1:42 pm -

It’s a fairly crap concept for a sitcom and it’ll have to rate, so good luck to it if it does.

Simon Baker, Alex O’Loughlin, Anna Torv, Rose Byrne, Ryan Kwanten and Jason Gann have had decent success in US TV.

Jim Jefferies is an Aus standup who’s got his own show ‘Legit’, except it’s on the FX channel and Josh Lawson is in ‘House of Lies’ on Showtime, but HoL isn’t a great show.

13. JimboJones May 12, 2013 at 1:29 pm -

Bogan Pride was the worst attempt at comedy I’ve ever seen in my life (yes, even worse than Outland!). Completely inept on every level.

My guess is that ABC USA is betting on Rebel Wilson becoming a big name star, and want to get in on the ground floor. However, the few people who have seen the pilot of the show have been scathing (apparently it is intergalactically bad), so it will probably backfire on all involved.

In answer to your question – yeah, I admire her success, but I can’t figure out what did she actually did to earn it.

14. nevothirty May 12, 2013 at 12:42 pm -

there is nothing funny about Rebel Wilson and her show will flop fast than Celebrity Splash

15. Mac May 12, 2013 at 12:37 pm -

I’m with David – let’s celebrate the terrific achievement of an Aussie. She’s not to my taste but successes like this should be congratulated, and they can open more doors to our homegrown talent.

16. Honkster May 12, 2013 at 12:02 pm -

Her success is as undoubted as it is unfathomable (to me.) I never got it here in Oz, I didn’t get it in Pitch Perfect, or the MTV Awards, and I still don’t get it.

17. Leppie May 12, 2013 at 11:47 am -

I love Rebel Wilson, but I doubt this will work out very well. Needs a different name for starters…

18. David Knox May 12, 2013 at 11:37 am -

Comedy can be divisive and that’s fine. But is it so hard to acknowledge her success? You can pretty much count on one hand the Aussies who have landed their own US show.

19. maxxdude May 12, 2013 at 11:23 am -

Sounds terrible…she is the most overrated comic on the planet…

20. PLG1962 May 12, 2013 at 11:14 am -

Ughh I find her so unbalanced this show will flop imo

21. carolemorrissey May 12, 2013 at 10:52 am -

Just hope it doesn’t go to Foxtel or I won’t be able to watch it. Sounds like a good show, I love Rebel Wilson. Wow, wonder why CBS didn’t want it.