Judith Lucy and Jason Di Rosso fill in as At the Movies hosts

By David Knox on June 21, 2013 / Filed Under News 13

J_J_M_D_14051EXCLUSIVE: Judith Lucy and Jason Di Rosso will fill in for At the Movies hosts Margaret Pomeranz and David Stratton for three weeks when they take their annual winter break in mid July.

Last year ABC played extended interview specials during their winter break but this year Judith Lucy and Jason Di Rosso become the first to assume the chairs since Cate Blanchett and Geoffrey Rush stepped in as part of the At The Movies 25th Anniversary in 2011.

Di Rosso  is host of ABC Radio National’s weekly film show The Final Cut and film reviewer for Radio National. He is also co-producer and co-presenter of RN’s weekly pop culture show The List. Comedian Judith Lucy is also a massive film buff and ready to show why.

“It’s a huge honour to be filling in for Margaret and David, who are an institution. At The Movies is a great show and it will feel pretty strange sitting in those chairs, but I know reviewing films with Judith, who I’ve admired as a storyteller and comic for years, will be a lot of fun,” said Di Rosso.

“Do we really need another comedian on the ABC? What’s next, Puppetry of the Penis hosting Four Corners? Bring back David and Margaret PLEASE”, will be the letter I’ll be writing to my local television guide. I love Ms Pomeranz and Mr Stratton. Big shoes to fill”, says Lucy.

David and Margaret added, “We’re really excited about Judith and Jason taking over At The Movies during our break. What great troopers they are. We’re big fans of both.”

Lucy and Di Rosso step in from July 16.

David and Margaret return in August and ABC has confirmed they will also continue into 2014.

1. smj July 16, 2013 at 10:27 pm -

I’m with you Riga.
    looking forward to Margaret and David’s return.

2. JimboJones June 22, 2013 at 11:39 am -

I’m looking forward to some reviews from Jason Di Rosso because he’s not afraid to call a spade a spade. Unlike David and Margaret, he doesn’t give extra points to any movie just because it’s Australian. And Judith Lucy will bring some energy to the show. Bring it on.

3. daveinprogress June 22, 2013 at 9:05 am -

The beginning of the end, methinks! Another year or two tops and they’ll be gone, i reckon. I have found their reviews increasingly vapid, but have been a fan since the late 1980’s when a friend introduced me to them. I have the biggest respect for Mr Stratton, but the content doesn’t seem to be there. I read the transcripts and get more out of the reader comments.

4. Sifter June 22, 2013 at 8:30 am -

I’m surprised David & Margaret continue to take breaks in mid-July. It has become one of the busiest times for film because of the summer holidays in the USA. Lots of films being released, and lots of advice required! Will definitely be giving these new guys a go though.

5. Riga June 22, 2013 at 2:01 am -

Thank you for the warning! We’ll be giving ATM a miss until D&M return.

6. ilovetv June 21, 2013 at 10:44 pm -

It would be nice to see a change of pace and try out some fresh meat for whenever David & Margaret choose to leave the show.

7. Secret Squirrel June 21, 2013 at 9:41 pm -

I’ll only watch if Judith wears the earrings. Or Jason.

8. maxxdude June 21, 2013 at 9:02 pm -

Leigh Paatsch is the worst reviewer. We got stuck with him in The Courier Mail in Brisbane & the factual errors he continually makes is astounding.
    I just hope they treat the show with respect & remember it is about the movies & not about them.
    At least the reviews will continue & long live David & Margaret.

9. deedeedragons June 21, 2013 at 8:35 pm -

Completely agree craigj77.

10. craigj77 June 21, 2013 at 6:48 pm -

I’m very scepical..
    I really hope these two remember they are filling in for legends and they treat the role and show respectfully.

11. carolemorrissey June 21, 2013 at 6:05 pm -

Haven’t watched this show for a few years, but will probably watch it with Judith Lucy hosting, she’ll be hilarious.

12. Stan June 21, 2013 at 6:04 pm -

Interesting choice! Another good choice could’ve been News Limited movie reviewer, Leigh Paatsch. I remember his dry sense of humour during his segments on the underrated, Mick Molloy Show, on Nine in 1999. But I like these two, so I’ll be watching.

13. D@GP June 21, 2013 at 5:35 pm -

David and Margaret will continue until 2100.