The View ending on Nine

By David Knox on June 23, 2013 / Filed Under Programming, Top Stories 43

2013-06-23_0110US talk-fest The View will have its final show on Nine this Friday June 28th at 1pm.

Nine has not renewed its rights on the talk show with Barbara Walters, Whoopi Goldberg, Joy Behar, Elisabeth Hasselbeck and Sherri Shepherd.

The show has aired on Nine’s afternoons since 2008.

It will be replaced on Monday July 1st with repeats of Sea Patrol.

Nine also recently chose not to renew Days of Our Lives after 45 years, replacing it initially with House Husbands repeats and later with repeats of The Block.

Foxtel was running The View until last September, saying it was dropping the show from Arena because it was freely available on Nine.

Host Barbara Walters will retire in 2014.

1. reesie July 29, 2013 at 1:27 pm -

My mother & I always watched TheView on nine for years, very disappointed that it has been taken off. We no longer watch channel nine in the day time. Midday has become a dead zone. Nine has become boring….repeats, repeats, repeats

2. fiercerobert July 12, 2013 at 5:39 pm -

I’m so late on this, but was wondering why The View hadn’t been on recently. Shame on Channel 9 for doing this. It is one of the best day-time shows on television.

3. Kylie June 25, 2013 at 12:09 am -

Nooooo!!!!!

Why not wait until August when they go on their month long summer hiatus!!

I want to see Joy’s final weeks :(

4. Greg7 June 24, 2013 at 6:56 pm -

The View does let people watch episodes on its own website, but Aus viewers doing that, would need to use a VPN service.

5. Shelley June 24, 2013 at 1:48 pm -

This is how nine are cutting costs. Every time a contract comes up for re-newal, they will let the show go.

6. MasterCheffie June 24, 2013 at 12:32 pm -

Ellen won’t be going anytime soon. Bceause she has just come back from Australia and has a fan base. She also has a good standing on A Current Affair with Tracy Grimshaw. They did interviews here and over in US.
    As for the view this is just killing the network off one by one. Why kill something if it still has potential. This does mean CH10 have a green light for ‘The Doctors’. But CH7 dropped ‘Dr. Oz.’ for repeats of ‘Winners and Loosers’. So it could be possible TEN takes away something too? It’s like they have to be fair with daytime TV and insure that if one network gets rid of something that they should also?

7. Lyn June 24, 2013 at 11:36 am -

I prefer this show to “Ellen” (no offense)
    I don’t think Channel 9 have got a clue!
    What a pity!

8. BarrieT June 23, 2013 at 11:13 pm -

It hasn’t been the same since Rosie O,donnell left anyway

9. Secret Squirrel June 23, 2013 at 9:30 pm -

I’m running SarcBlock on my browser so I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic but I’d be distraught too if The View was my favourite show.

10. thatsnicmeyers June 23, 2013 at 7:49 pm -

This is my favourite show. I’m distraught.

11. bettestreep2008 June 23, 2013 at 7:11 pm -

Hilarious. They scrapped DOOL and now The View. I wouldn’t bet on Ellen being around for much longer. Nine has obviouTV sly spent way too much on the cricket and now has to cut costs.

I’m just surprised that they are replacing The View with Sea Patrol repeats. I was so sure that they’d show more repeats of The Block.

12. Guy June 23, 2013 at 6:23 pm -

Next up…….Nine loses Warner Bros deal due to budget cuts. When they won cricket and NRL i questioned where the money came from. Now programming will start to be effected. Soon we will probably have test patterns or even more of those infomercial things to try and pay for things.

13. Craig June 23, 2013 at 6:12 pm -

Just did some checking so it looks like Friday we’ll see Toni Collette on the ‘final’ show for Nine but will miss Mariah Carey who would be on Monday week our time, and guest co-host Jesse Tyler Ferguson.

If only shows like this had a reliable site for their interviews, but The View can be a bit spotty on YouTube.

14. David Knox June 23, 2013 at 5:35 pm -

I will ask about Person of Interest finale as many people seem to be raising it recently.

15. carolemorrissey June 23, 2013 at 5:10 pm -

I’m still waiting for the finale of Person Of Interest too, and The Mentalist. Stupid ch 9 have been showing repeats of the last season of Person Of Interest on Monday nights at 9.30. Why haven’t they shown the final episode instead. Now tonight they are showing a repeat of The Mentalist. There are 2 episodes to go. What the hell is wrong with them? How hard is it to show the last episodes instead of repeats. It’s bloody ridiculous.

16. David Knox June 23, 2013 at 4:52 pm -

JTShadow: As much as I enjoy US cable dramas, Australian shows outrate US shows by a country mile.

17. maxxdude June 23, 2013 at 4:11 pm -

As long as Ellen is safe.

18. jtshadow65 June 23, 2013 at 4:06 pm -

nail in the coffin for nine the only shows I watch is arrow and waiting for when you put the new show hostages starring Toni Collette and finally a FTA network finally put revolution on its a great show and I said main times before Australians don’t like Australian programs they want to watch stuff from America because American programming is better then what Australian produce & when are you going to put the season finale of person of interest you took it off before the finale ?

19. friends88 June 23, 2013 at 3:51 pm -

Before you no it another boring rp of the block will come in at the view time slot so that means more of the boring block

20. glennc June 23, 2013 at 2:48 pm -

The View costs money. The contract is up. 9 aren’t going so well financially. Sea Patrol et. al. are cheap. Simple.
    Welcome to TV the business.

21. PJs Ronin June 23, 2013 at 2:06 pm -

I’m still trying to figure out what there is any broadcast between 0800 and 1500 daily. Don’t people have lives?

22. Secret Squirrel June 23, 2013 at 1:25 pm -

Sea Patrol?! If I hadn’t already finished my tea, I would have sprayed it over both monitors. It’s not the worst Aus drama but it is execrable. I think this must be Nine poking Ten with a stick, especially if they get nearly the same ratings as Reef Doctors does.

23. steve sydney June 23, 2013 at 12:59 pm -

I was saddened when Foxtel gave up the View. The marathon catch up on Sundays were heaven for me.

Now it’s not going to be on at all??

You’d think with 3 channels each, Free to Air Networks wouldn’t be in the situation to be cancelling new first look content

24. Bella June 23, 2013 at 12:46 pm -

@Craig good point! Nine will have 3 hours of repeats until new Ellen returns.

I hope another FTA network picks it up. It was good getting episodes a day after it aired in the US and next season is Barbara’s last.

25. Tim June 23, 2013 at 12:16 pm -

What a joke! Nine is losing it. As a long time viewer of The View, I’m disappointed – especially given its being replaced by old repeats of a cancelled show.

The episode that would have aired on July 1st (the Friday episode in the US) will feature Mariah Carey. It’s also the season final. Nine should, at least, complete the season in full & begin their Sea Patrol on the Tuesday.

26. stevie g June 23, 2013 at 12:11 pm -

Aussie daytime TV has become a baren waste land. It’s never been like this before in my life time. In my opinion nine had the best lineup with Ellen, The View and Days. I gotta say I’m still suffering withdrawals from the loss of my daytime soap. Nine is a no go zone in the daytime for me now. I’m occasionally watching Seven’s new news show at 3.00, mainly cause there’s nothing else on.

27. muscledude_oz June 23, 2013 at 12:01 pm -

Playing devil’s advocate, I wonder if Nine is dropping The View because they are planning a new version of The Catch Up? After all, TEN were able to get the format to work with The Circle and TV stations like to pinch each others’ formats (The Block, House Rules, etc etc).

28. Sammee June 23, 2013 at 11:59 am -

@Jennome it’s a bit hard to hold a book when you’re doing housework. I like to have The View on when I’m doing chores as it is a show you can listen to without having to sit there the whole time.

29. Pertinax June 23, 2013 at 11:47 am -

Yes, but repeats of Sea Patrol cost nothing.

Nine is thinking that they are losing over $30m p.a. because of shows bringing in less revenue than they cost. Advertising rates have plummeted, viewers are timeshifting and watching catch-ups online and big ticket items like sport are costing more than they make and being used as loss-leaders to retain share.

Sea Patrol one the of their worst Aussie dramas in twenty years? How quickly we forget Tricky Business, the aptly titled Crashburn, Cops LAC, Headland etc. (and Chances almost scrapes in).

30. Kirk June 23, 2013 at 11:40 am -

It’s not as good as it once was with Meredith Viera and Lisa Ling years ago, but it’s still a good mix of views and topics, and who would be interested in repeats of Sea Patrol anyway?! What an idiotic decision from Nine.

31. deedeedragons June 23, 2013 at 11:22 am -

Damn i was looking forward to an Elisabeth free season.

32. jimbo k June 23, 2013 at 11:17 am -

Silly decision for not renewing The View. Nine are obviously broke, as mentioned by other comments here. A shame, really.

33. Nick June 23, 2013 at 11:07 am -

It’s funny because Sea Patrol is one of the worst written, worst acted and worst produced dramas to come out of Australia in the last twenty years.

34. lkernan June 23, 2013 at 10:32 am -

The way Nine is going, a test pattern aired between 10am and 1pm would get more viewers…

35. Jennome June 23, 2013 at 10:24 am -

… or maybe y’all could read a book instead.

36. The Moops June 23, 2013 at 10:22 am -

Nine must be really struggling with their bottom line if they can’t renew a show as iconic as DOOL, then dropping The View. Repeats of Sea Patrol? Seriously? They may as well broadcast the test pattern. Agree with J Bar, the massive $$$ they pay for Rugby League and the Cricket must be impacting their purchases and general programming.

37. TasTVcameraman June 23, 2013 at 10:19 am -

Good, I can PVR Sea Patrol and play it back instead of contrived reality stuff. Excellent decision by Nine in my view.

38. Bella June 23, 2013 at 9:56 am -

Not happy. The View has gone a bit downhill over the last few years, but I was hoping with Elisabeth possibly not returning next season it would improve. Not happy with repeats of Sea Patrol either.

Maybe when the new US talk shows start in September Nine could pick up Bethenny or Kris Jenner’s new show?

39. andy pandy June 23, 2013 at 9:29 am -

What is wrong with channel 9, are they that broke? I suppose they think they got away with cancelling Days Of Our Lives so The View was next on their hit list.
    Well congratulations Channel 9, thats two hours every day you’ve lost me.
    Don’t bother with the Sea Patrol re runs, no one is interested, its a joke!

40. snaremymind June 23, 2013 at 8:04 am -

10 should pick it up.

41. Sammee June 23, 2013 at 7:36 am -

What is Nine thinking? First they removed DOOL and now this. I found The View interesting and topical and I loved Whoopi’s comments the most. There are some of us that are at home around midday and now there’s nothing to watch. After The Block finishes I will have no reason to watch Nine.

42. J Bar June 23, 2013 at 7:01 am -

Nine must have paid way too much money to keep the Cricket and now they have to axe all their daytime shows. Viewers will drop off from Free To Air even further now.

43. Craig June 23, 2013 at 6:45 am -

Hope Foxtel picks it up again since Nine dropped it, might be nice if they could pick up The Talk (CBS) as TEN seems to have lost interest in that one. They both have some good interviews most weeks.

Does The View go on hiatus in the US soon, like Ellen?

So I guess this means there will be nothing new to watch on Nine in the middle of the day until Ellen returns some time in September? Midday has just become a dead zone on FTA.