1.33m farewell Packed to the Rafters

By David Knox on July 3, 2013 / Filed Under News 44

2013-07-03_1000Seven chose the right time to end Packed to the Rafters judging by ratings for the two hour finale.

Coded into two episodes the show had 1.33m for its first hour and and 1.32m for the last ever episode.

With Timeshifting numbers it’s likely to climb above the 1.5m figure later.

It’s nowhere near as big as the 2 million it attracted in earlier seasons -but the TV landscape was vastly different 6 years ago. However nor is it as big as current Reality TV finales nor the kind of numbers Howzat pulled only last year.

To be fair, it’s still streets ahead of newer local dramas on TEN and ABC, but it nevertheless suggests the network correctly picked the mood of its audience that it was time to take its leave.

Seven network won the night with a share of 32.2% then Nine 26.9%, TEN 17.9%, ABC 16.9% and SBS 6.1%.

Seven’s other titles were Seven News (1.32m), Today Tonight (1.09m), Home and Away (966,000), and The Mole (864,000) -those kind of numbers suggest it may not warrant three episodes every week. Deal or No Deal was 576,000.

Nine News topped the night with 1.33m for Nine then The Block (1.29m), A Current Affair (1.29m), Agnetha: ABBA and After (962,000), Hot Seat (783,000) and Movie: Muriel’s Wedding (389,000).

Under The Dome did good business for TEN at 998,000 then MasterChef Australia (798,000), TEN News (756,000), The Project (582,000), NCIS: LA (474,000) and The Simpsons (361,000).

ABC News (925,000) led ABC1 then 7:30 (797,000), Kitchen Cabinet (779,000), New Tricks (773,000), At the Movies (421,000) and Time Team (392,000).

On SBS ONE it was Who Do You Think You Are? (276,000), Tour de France (229,000 pre-race / 175,000 race), World News Australia (170,000) and Insight (112,000).

ABC2’s Bananas in Pyjamas topped multichannels with 292,000. Shitsville Express was 129,000.

OzTAM Overnights: Tuesday 2 July 2013

1. simmo3 July 4, 2013 at 6:15 am -

David Knox, I always read your opinion, I may or may not watch a show based on it but I generally form my own opinions, as I am sure most people who read yours do. Keep up the good work !!

2. harrypotter1994 July 3, 2013 at 10:38 pm -

The Rafters final fitted the show perfectly for someone like Julie leaving that house was hard enough…..One thing though it really did remind me of the All Saints final

3. Secret Squirrel July 3, 2013 at 9:55 pm -

@jesicka309 – oxygen will come from the same source as it does for you – plant life, in addition to whatever passes thru the semi-permeable membrane forming the dome (like the water). Underground rail stations usually have mobile phone repeaters.

A Faraday (wire mesh) cage of the right mesh size will let air, water, and small animals thru whilst blocking radio waves of matching wavelength. This is why some skyscrapers have terrible mobile reception inside (because of the rebar in the concrete floors and/or walls).

Given that the dome zaps people the first time that they touch it and explodes pacemakers, I accept it might feature advanced tech that could block radio and even sound whilst allowing liquids and gases thru.

It’s still a stupid show tho’.

4. swimj July 3, 2013 at 8:22 pm -

I wonder how Ten will promote Under The Dome this week. What ratings will they add up to get the biggest figure!? Haha. But I love the show. Can’t wait for the next ep!

5. frankly July 3, 2013 at 8:14 pm -

@Nate
    Recap and teasers are a good thing if made properly and well placed as they lure and inform just arrived audience which missed the beginning. The viewers who just want to watch a bit of another show during ads could stick to it instead of switching back to their favourite program. This can increase numbers a lot if the competitive program is weaker!

Bottom line/reminder: It is never just about entertainment!

6. Nate July 3, 2013 at 6:54 pm -

As a huge Mole fan, I’ll continue to watch but I was seriously underwhelmed by last night’s premiere.

Not sure what the production team were thinking last night as they succeeded in making a typically fast-paced show, slow and ponderous. In the initial seasons they managed to show 3 challenges and an elimination in 40 mins, here they barely managed to get through one challenge in 45 mins – if it was an interesting challenge, I might’ve understood the reasoning but a walking challenge?

They’ve also taken to the annoying American habit of recapping what happened before the break, as if the audience suffers from short-term memory loss.

On another note, I was surprised at how poor the map graphics were, they looked like something out of an 80s Nintendo golf game, which would’ve looked bad on the first season, let alone one 13 years on.

7. ryan July 3, 2013 at 5:08 pm -

Haven’t watched UTD yet cause I rec it but don’t expect anything interesting in ep 2 of the show, I would expect to see more on the actual characters so we can get to know them but I guess I will see if they did that:)

8. tricks July 3, 2013 at 5:04 pm -

@ghghgh20 I assume everyone posting here is an adult and can make up their own mind about a show..

But..

If you’re worried about the comments here affecting ratings, I’d suggest you look into the comments that were posted here about MKR a few months ago.
    Loads of angry and annoyed comments in regards to the portrayal of people and the constant bitching and fighting in the show… not to mention the late start times and overruns.

… and look at how well that continued to rate.

9. reesieboi. July 3, 2013 at 4:49 pm -

Personally I felt the finale was perfect. It wrapped up the story well and you can’t expect anymore than a happy ending for a show that really deserves one.

What more do you want? Somebody to die and have the final goodbye to an iconic Aussie show to be depressing?

It ended things just fine and honestly, I think it’ll be remembered as the perfect series finale.

10. SnideAsides July 3, 2013 at 4:39 pm -

If those ratings figures for The Mole continue – and based on the standard second-episode drop, the quality of the first episode, and the timeslot change, I suspect it’ll go down to about 650k tonight – it’ll be getting the I Will Survive treatment within a fortnight.

11. frankly July 3, 2013 at 4:29 pm -

David Knox aka The Ratings King ;)

12. David Knox July 3, 2013 at 3:59 pm -

ghghgh20: not sure you appreciate how this works yet. I put my name to my opinions, people can take it or leave it and as you have, can also disagree.

13. Craig July 3, 2013 at 3:58 pm -

Good to see UTD do so good on a tough night, but I agree the writing isn’t that good and blind freddy can see the plot points coming a mile away.

The rafters should not have been a double, I’m betting it would have done much better at just one hour with the final next week!

14. estherhoffman July 3, 2013 at 3:53 pm -

The ending to Packed to the Rafters was pleasant,but unremarkable.If you want to see the best way to end a series,have a look at the final episode of Six feet under.Oh my God,that episode was amazing!

15. frankly July 3, 2013 at 3:50 pm -

@Ghghgh20_211
    Do you work for Channel 10? Are you trying to bias David towards positive writing? Hmmm! I was just wondering for what reason you are angry??

I hope all the non tv workers here are not confused now.

Please David, keep credibility of your page otherwise we should just read program infos and repeat Pleasantville (This time in colour might be something new)

16. ghghgh20_211 July 3, 2013 at 3:44 pm -

yes you can have an opinion David but what i’m trying to say is that if you said a particular show was awful and you didn’t like it, people on here respect what you say and might not watch a show.

this will then bring down the ratings of a show and thus its demise. i know that it takes a lot of people not watching a show to actually effect ratings and all but once the seed is planted it will grow and grow!

17. David Knox July 3, 2013 at 3:37 pm -

Recent polls here suggested much anticipation for The Mole. But still plenty of love for TARA.

18. JB July 3, 2013 at 3:23 pm -

@Guy. Funny you say that. The FB page for Amazing Race Australia asked fans who was watching The Mole, and majority of the comments were “i’d rather be watching The Amazing Race instead”. Have Seven decided on it’s fate yet? Cos it seems people don’t care about The Mole but are waiting for Amazing Race to return.

19. David Knox July 3, 2013 at 3:22 pm -

Are you suggesting I am not entitled to an opinion? Read my review of ep 1, you will see I said the Dome was kinda fun. But the characters and dialogue after 2 eps has turned me off. No apologies there.

20. ghghgh20_211 July 3, 2013 at 3:15 pm -

I loved Under the Dome!

I am very suprised and a bit angry at you David Knox. People are easily influenced by your opinion and website and even though you don’t like a show it isn’t nice to say that it was awful or that you are ”done with it”.

It is a great drama. I loved every minute of it. the acting is great and the drama and tension it brings up is amazing. i wanna find out why that guy has trapped the girl in his bomb shelter, why the mayor is trying to cover up pro-pain tanks and how the hell this dome came to be there.

i hope it is a massive hit in australia and for channel 10.

21. kushkook July 3, 2013 at 2:14 pm -

I was interested to watch the Mole, but it’s on 3 times a week! Which is overkill.

I wouldn’t expect numbers for The Mole to climb like House Rules, especially with competition from Hamish & Andy and Great Aussie Bakeoff next week.

22. frankly July 3, 2013 at 2:05 pm -

@David Knox
    It really is disappointing to see Under the Dome in such a low quality of storytelling. I loved Lost because of it’s dramaturgical aspects, but there is no chance in Under the Dome to be a good director if the book has too many errors. No one can change such a script quickly before the shoot.

23. IRT July 3, 2013 at 1:57 pm -

The oxygen comes from the plants.

24. jesicka309 July 3, 2013 at 1:53 pm -

David: I’d assume the same way as the water gets in – in very small, heavily filtered amounts. In which case, the air quality will get bad soon.
    I want to know why mobile signals (and sounds?!?) can’t get through. If my mobile phone can get a signal buried deep in my handbag in an underground train station, why can’t it get a signal through a wall that is porous enough that water can get through? Also, water can get through, but they can’t shout at each other? Ugh plot holes.

25. Cam Reed July 3, 2013 at 1:48 pm -

David: Oxygen must be getting in with the breeze that is blowing the trees and plants around in the background shots.

26. Guy July 3, 2013 at 1:39 pm -

Was so looking forward to The Mole and i hated it. I am a huge mole fan but i did not like this at all. Bring back The Amazing Race Australia.

I thought Rafters might get higher than that but i suppose 2 hours is a lot.

27. David Knox July 3, 2013 at 1:05 pm -

Fire -and people- needs oxygen. How are they getting that again?

28. Clint July 3, 2013 at 1:04 pm -

Sorry The Mole is pretty rubbish. The challenges just aren’t what they used to be. Also miss Grant Bowler.

29. Secret Squirrel July 3, 2013 at 12:53 pm -

Agree, UtD was pretty bad and I expect it will drop to around 700k next week. Ten picked a good night for it as there usually isn’t anything else on at that time that I’m interested in. I might give it one last look next week or I might just stick with the cycling all night (starts earlier in Perth).

Chester’s Mill should prob have a look at their building codes if the ignition temperature of the walls is so low that they burst into flames after a few seconds, and a house can be pushed over in one go by a small front-end loader.

30. steviem July 3, 2013 at 12:50 pm -

Was disappointed with The Mole. The graphics, the challenge, the feel and even the people all dated and felt i was back in 2005!

They had a wonderful opportunity to modernise the game and bring it to 2013 but they didnt.

Mega Fail Seven.

..Kitchen Cabinet was boring last night too!

Was looking forward to both shows and was disappointed.

31. JulieS July 3, 2013 at 12:34 pm -

I was a bit disappointed with The Mole. Nine out of the 12 contestants were under the age of 30 – would have been more interesting if they had a bit more of a mixture of ages instead of a bunch of twenty-somethings. Don’t know if I’ll bother watching the rest of the episodes.

32. nicks July 3, 2013 at 12:17 pm -

My favorite tv this week has been Today from Canada.Everyone on set seems to be having a blast..I see Karl’s discovered Moosehead(it’s a beer)..the backdrops are stunning,and how hard is golf without having to avoid bears on the fairways?..lol.It’s not really rating tho huh David(are the numbers basically the same as yesterday)?Pity if so..I notice Sbs has a bear doco on tonight too..not sure if it’s a repeat or not,but I haven’t seen it and gonna watch.As for Utd..had such high expectations..started off hoping for allegory..now have given up on seeing an even somewhat watchable narrative.

33. TVTALK July 3, 2013 at 11:48 am -

Did anyone here actually watch the end of Rafters?

For a show that began with a distinct edge back in 2008, it ended with a predictable fizzer with one montage after another after another. It was so laboured, I was pleased when they got into kombi and drove away, rather than sad to seem them go.

34. jesicka309 July 3, 2013 at 11:13 am -

I agree David – I turned off Under the Dome halfway through. It was so boring! And contrived…it was like no one at all cared about the dome! Arg.
    The book had it’s flaws, but the show has amplified them. Won’t be watching next week.

35. Darcey09 July 3, 2013 at 11:04 am -

I agree that Seven was right to end Rafters whilst it is still rating well. Ten, the ABC and even Nine would love its dramas to rate as well. eg The Time of our Lives last ratings were about half of what PTTR had last night.

36. Cam Reed July 3, 2013 at 11:02 am -

I’m with you David on Under The Dome, it was fine as a Twilight Zone episode and the parody of that the Simpson’s did, I have to say though in the beginning I was apprehensive of it as 13 part series.

Then I am not a big fan of Stephen King’s novels either, always seems to be a bloated out middle section in his books to fill pages, so I guess with the way ep 2 went there is to be more of that badly scripted stuff to bloat it out to 13 episodes.

37. hannigans_heroes July 3, 2013 at 10:58 am -

I loved the Mole when it was originally on, but stripping it to 3 nights a week is already after just one episode, making it drag out the challenges. No way did they need a 75 minute episode dedicated to a 2 hour long walk through sand dunes, focusing on the deviousness of someone tying up their shoes…

Good on Under the Dome for still having great numbers for Ten; I’m still watching but not for long unless the writing picks up and we start learning more.

38. David Knox July 3, 2013 at 10:57 am -

Coded in EPGs and Guides as Sh*tsville Express. Why name it that if they are going to censor it?

39. D@GP July 3, 2013 at 10:50 am -

Call me a prude but I’m really not in the market for a show called Shitsville Express.

What’s next?

Turd Town Traffic…?

40. David Knox July 3, 2013 at 10:46 am -

I’m done with Under the Dome after ep 2. The writing is so poor and I can’t believe Jack Bender (Lost) directed that hippy crap.

41. @HieroHero July 3, 2013 at 10:43 am -

The Mole should definitely be one episode a week. The original version on 7 I still rate as the best produced reality series on Australian television. The new series dragged and the tasks just weren’t as exciting as past seasons. I ended up switching over to Kitchen Cabinet halfway through. You have to get to the Mole quiz in one episode and I’m not sure why 7 is dragging it out like this.

42. Qubec July 3, 2013 at 10:43 am -

I kicked myself when I remembered that I had missed The Mole, but at three episodes a week I decided it wasn’t worth it. I wonder if the three episodes a week turned others off as well. I’m just crossing my fingers they don’t do the same with Beauty and the Geek!

43. Pertinax July 3, 2013 at 10:29 am -

All that repeating of Under The Dome didn’t stop the usual drop off after a hyped premiere. Still almost 1m is pretty good these days for a drama.

44. Bogues July 3, 2013 at 10:10 am -

The rafters numbers were much lower than I expected for the final episode. Will be interesting to see how W&L does in its timeslot next week.