Osher Günsberg to host The Bachelor

By David Knox on July 18, 2013 / Filed Under News 23

2013-07-18_1703Osher Günsberg will host The Bachelor for Network TEN.

Best known as Andrew G from Australian Idol, Günsberg was last seen on Australian television hosting Photo Finish for ABC1.

He also hosted Live to Dance for CBS.

“I couldn’t be more excited to be a part of Australia’s very first season of The Bachelor. There’s a reason it’s a massive hit worldwide: people love to watch it and love to talk about it.

“To come back to Australia and to come back to TEN, it’s a double homecoming.”

The Bachelor starring Tim Robards airs later this year.

1. IloveReality July 19, 2013 at 5:59 pm -

I wonder if Osher will quote the same lines that Chris Harrison does in the US. Chris really doesn’t say that much during the season. So therefore Andrew won’t really have that much of an onscreen hosting presence until the before and after the final rose ceremony shows.
    I really liked him on Idol anyway and much preferred him to James Matheson. I think he’s a good choice.

2. jezza the first original one July 19, 2013 at 4:49 pm -

@ stan, I do not see hardly any negative reaction to mr g’s birth name, rather a challenge of why the hell did he change and why call himself Andrew in the first place. In the ents biz you name becomes your signature, your brand.

Shura (the bloke from The Mole) is still Shura, Anh Do is still Anh, Hamish is still Hamish and Karl Stefanovic is still the same, he could have been Carl Stevens….but he isn’t.

So its really more of a mickey take (by some) of the change and not using his real name at the start of his career….

3. Stan July 19, 2013 at 4:20 pm -

The negative reaction to his birth name explains why he went with ‘Andrew G’ all these years… Very sad.

4. alvar July 19, 2013 at 1:19 pm -

Doesn’t interest me, but I reckon Ten will strip this and destroy any chance of success if may have

5. stevie g July 19, 2013 at 11:15 am -

Osher….Oh my Gosher. He had already reverted to his full surname, which was acceptable, but to replace a perfectly good christian like Andrew with Osher? I agree, bad career move.

6. AllanPo July 19, 2013 at 10:12 am -

Good luck to Andrew G, but this show looks like a stinker.

7. bettestreep2008 July 19, 2013 at 9:54 am -

Andrew, Osher, whatever is a very good looking bloke and I am sure the bachelorettes would have preferred him over the other guy.

As for the name – gotta give him credit for bravery. At a time when anything not ‘anglo’ in Australia is frowned upon, Andrew decides to revert to his birth name that is a bit of a mouthful.

I won’t be watching the show though. Please marry my boy, Beauty and the geek, Farmer wants a wife and now Bachelor…. who cares!

8. jezza the first original one July 19, 2013 at 9:45 am -

What’s in a name?

Well quite a lot when you are in the ents biz.

Michael Cain never reverted back to Muarice Micklewhite, once Reginald Dwight turned to Elton John….he stayed there

Strange move by Mr G. Maybe he is trying to distance himself from Summer Heights High

9. randwick July 19, 2013 at 9:17 am -

I give the bachelor starting at just under a million viewers and sink down to about 600,000 reasonably quickly and then ten will bump it an ungodly hour to kill it off …….

10. John Jackson July 19, 2013 at 2:57 am -

Surely he isn’t really known as Osher now? Maybe it is his birth name, but I imagine Andrew G is still his stage name? If it isn’t why all of a sudden has he decided to get rid of the name people know him for?

11. J Bar July 19, 2013 at 12:35 am -

I don’t think this was a wise career move for the artist formerly known as Andrew G. .

12. Andrew_83 July 18, 2013 at 10:37 pm -

Its probably a tax avoidance scheme

13. deedeedragons July 18, 2013 at 10:10 pm -

He now sounds like a Bond Villain but it is good to have him back on our screens.

14. kushkook July 18, 2013 at 9:14 pm -

His birth name is awesome! Much better than “Andrew G”.

He’s a great host, regardless of his name.

15. KFed July 18, 2013 at 9:03 pm -

Hard to think of a more obnoxious on-air talent. I’d hoped he’d never come back from America.

16. Bella July 18, 2013 at 8:53 pm -

@Tempest its his birth name.

I really enjoy Andrew G from his Idol days. And look forward to watching The Bachelor now.

17. nevothirty July 18, 2013 at 8:51 pm -

I don’t care what you call him he is one hot stud. lol.

18. maxxdude July 18, 2013 at 8:47 pm -

Nice to see him on TV & not just hear him on Bondi Rescue but Ten is ten years too late on this show. If The Bachelor/Bachelorette was so relevant Nine would be showing the US version on it main channel rather than weekends on Go!.
    Ten needs better than this…Bingle,The Shire…they are not learning.

19. ryan July 18, 2013 at 8:26 pm -

Good choice Ten. He is pretty good at what he does.

20. Stan July 18, 2013 at 8:18 pm -

What’s your actual name, Tempest? Just want to check how ‘Aussie’ you are.

21. Josh777 July 18, 2013 at 8:09 pm -

@ David Knox – he was also contracted to host the local version of Got To Dance for FOX8 before it was placed on the back burner when TEN launched Everybody Dance Now. But I’m glad to see him back on Aussie TV =)

22. William July 18, 2013 at 7:51 pm -

Good for you Andrew G and I hope he returns to Aussie Idol

23. Tempest July 18, 2013 at 7:40 pm -

He’s going by Osher these days?

… took a few seconds to check his website and he has updated it. Whilst its is still andrewgunsberg.com it is all labelled Osher….

God love him. How L.A.