Reality war as The X Factor takes on Big Brother!

By David Knox on July 17, 2013 / Filed Under Programming 32

2013-07-17_1038This means war….

The X Factor has confirmed it will launch on Monday July 29 -the very same night Big Brother is expected to begin.

The two Reality juggernauts will see Seven and Nine slug it out for the same demographic with a truckload of money invested heavily into both shows.

In one corner is a Sonia Kruger, a bunch of unknown Australians and a promised “twist” -in the other are celebrity judges including Dannii Minogue and Ronan Keating and aspiring singers.

Nine is yet to confirm its premiere for BB but Dreamworld is selling tickets for the launch on Sunday 28, always filmed a day in advance of the premiere. Presumably Nine will also have the half hour jump on Seven, with Home and Away the traditional 7pm show.

Let’s just hope it isn’t finals week on MasterChef too.

1. TheTvGuru July 19, 2013 at 9:20 am -

Nine should have chucked a red herring and either extend the blok for a few more weeks, or put the finale on that monday night to impact on X Factor, just as MKR tried with The Voice

2. TVScene July 18, 2013 at 7:40 am -

I’ve just signed up with Foxtel, for the first time ever :)

3. Mac July 17, 2013 at 11:01 pm -

Please, Ten or ABC, put something on that will decimate both shows so we don’t have to endure them ever again!

4. adzg July 17, 2013 at 10:59 pm -

X Factor will have it in the bag! Big Brothers promos are terrible hasn’t made me excited for it at all! Plus last years was boring! The X Factors promos are slick and in your face! I know I’ll be watching X!

5. William July 17, 2013 at 9:42 pm -

The Bachelor will not air after MC as it makes no sense to do it as I think Recipe to Riches will take its spot as they had MC:TP then MCA

6. jumpjakflash July 17, 2013 at 8:15 pm -

Official Airdate confirmed: Monday Week. I really hope Big Brother rates well. I’ll record X Factor

7. lin July 17, 2013 at 7:20 pm -

Well, I won’t be watching either thanks. Hope there’s something decent on 10.

8. wwenrl July 17, 2013 at 6:32 pm -

Big Brother all the way!! The Best show in the World.

9. nik c July 17, 2013 at 4:46 pm -

Glad to see so much contempt for Reality.
    However it is mindless television which appeals to some after a hard day at work, home with kids, study etc. and the OzTam ratings are in a sample of houses which show a trend.
    Either way we all have a choice. Mine will be to watch other shows that aren’t Reality shows for people to want 5 minutes of fame! Same goes for AGT, Bachelor, Formal wars, please marry my son! Specific taste for specific people!

10. Jock July 17, 2013 at 4:14 pm -

Don’t forget about The Bachelor, which will probably start once Masterchef is done (how far along are they? I’ve given up watching this year).

I’d put my money on X Factor coming out on top, but Nine really has been storming ahead since House Rules ended, so who knows…

11. andy pandy July 17, 2013 at 3:23 pm -

I’ll be watching Big Brother and taping X Factor and MC.
    The only thing that annoys me is during the live BB shows, once daylight saving starts, we don’t get the show live in QLD, which is ridiculous considering its filmed right here at Dreamworld!
    Even grand final night last year we were an hour behind. All they have to do is start the show here at 6.30pm which is 7.30 in southern states.

12. glennc July 17, 2013 at 3:17 pm -

Hopefully they both bomb and disappear forever. Wishful thinking!!!

13. Maev....Sydney July 17, 2013 at 3:15 pm -

I saw and ad for X Factor recently…with that Redfoo person….if he alone was not enough to turn me off….the picture of him in his undies with a big red X on the front…certainly was!

14. jonno July 17, 2013 at 2:30 pm -

No contest. Xfactor for sure.

15. Shelley July 17, 2013 at 2:23 pm -

Excellent – two less shows to watch!

16. mycreations July 17, 2013 at 2:05 pm -

I’ll be watching Big Brother like usual if they get the casting right it could be a success, and with X Factor it depends if people take to Danni and that Redfoo guy. I watched both last year but I cant stand Redfoo so wont be this year

17. William July 17, 2013 at 1:44 pm -

Since BB and XF will be fighting for pole, I suspect one will be doomed and the other will rise and it may be MC finals to rise in the final stages

18. PR July 17, 2013 at 1:35 pm -

Big Brother, The X Factor, Got Talent, The Voice..

Old copy&past shows which simply change the look of its characters every season. Another similarity of these two shows is a glaring lack of credibility.

I understand that people need entertainment to relax and get a sense of it being worth to work almost every day of their lives so they can afford some fun in their lives. One of their first choices would be watching the telly (..let’s have a look what’s on TV…).

I hope these two shows mentioned above will crash to death pretty soon, for the sake of all human kind who just look for some distraction from work.

Lest I forget the workers behind those repetitive shows. This would be another sad story.

19. Mr. J July 17, 2013 at 1:29 pm -

the twist promo for BB is awful, i think the promos are doing a good job building hype for TXF. i notice ‘the’ and ‘factor’ have been removed from the title in almost all promo material. is the title now just ‘X’ ?

I think 9 will make the move and have BB on Sun and Block finale on Mon

20. The Other Adam July 17, 2013 at 1:07 pm -

This is why I’ve been watching ABC a lot more lately

21. Pertinax July 17, 2013 at 12:44 pm -

Ten knew what was coming. That is why they started Masterchef when they did. In between MKR and The X Factory/AGT/ BB. But meant it was up against The Block and House Rules.

The Mole tanking has severely disrupted Seven;s like up. That was Masterchefs’ break but it didn’t help much.

22. dan July 17, 2013 at 12:42 pm -

I will be watching big brother and recording master chef couldn’t care less about X factor

23. Bella July 17, 2013 at 12:23 pm -

I bet Masterchef will be in Dubai that week.

24. alvar July 17, 2013 at 11:59 am -

Its unlikely, but Nine could be sneaky and have The Block finale on the Monday instead of Sunday. With both shows launching early, we will either see more padding out or filler content come November.

25. Leppie July 17, 2013 at 11:45 am -

Well, this isn’t good!

Looks like this season will be its last.

Thanks Ch Seven… ;(

26. ilovetv July 17, 2013 at 11:42 am -

Would be untrusting to see the ratings.

27. David Knox July 17, 2013 at 11:39 am -

Aspiring singers are the contestants!

28. deedeedragons July 17, 2013 at 11:35 am -

X Factor for sure.

29. PJC July 17, 2013 at 11:31 am -

And just when TEN would’ve been thinking that MasterChef might start cracking the magic mill with no more competition from The Block..

30. MonashMan July 17, 2013 at 11:24 am -

Big Brother gets my vote any day especially now considering Redfoo has joined the judges panel but let’s get one thing staright, Nat Bass is not an aspiring singer, she was the lead in the awesomeness that was The Rogue Traders!

31. Bogues July 17, 2013 at 11:17 am -

big brother really needs to bring back uplate on go! this year. they might consider it seeing how well the cricket did in multi channels. Even if it eats into the main show ratings, it will be bettee numbers for the network over all.

32. JennyW July 17, 2013 at 11:03 am -

X Factor beat Big Brother last year in ratings and they’ll do it again this year :)