Renewed: Under the Dome

By David Knox on July 30, 2013 / Filed Under News 17

2013-07-30_1100Good news for TEN with CBS confirming a renewal for Under the Dome.

The sci-fi series has performed well for TEN thus far and in the US is averaging 13.84 million viewers as summer viewing.

It will return for another 13 episodes in 2014.

“We’re excited to tell more stories about the mystery of the dome and the secrets in Chester’s Mill, and are thrilled to have the master storyteller himself, Stephen King, tell the first one of next season,” CBS Entertainment president Nina Tassler said in a statement.

On the question of how long the show can feasibly run beyond the Stephen King novel, producer Brian K. Vaughan has told press, “When we first started talking to Stephen, we came up with the idea of the town potentially being trapped for years at a time, and that’s something that [King said] you guys could get to do that I didn’t.

“We pitched Stephen a far-out, big-swing idea for this to go several years, a different ending, and he was really excited by it.”

Source: Hollywood Reporter

1. roaringdave July 31, 2013 at 1:45 pm -

For Season 2, the residents will just move to a different Dome…

2. roaringdave July 31, 2013 at 1:43 pm -

@ Matt J : Why would you be ‘sourcing it elsewhere’ when Ten are screening it the same day as in the States? And then you say you want Ten to keep it on. What do they have to do to get you to watch?

3. Craig July 30, 2013 at 7:33 pm -

I thought this was set as a mini series, like other here I started watching thinking in a couple of months we’d see the final and get all the answers.

4. Pertinax July 30, 2013 at 3:38 pm -

@Secret Squirrel
    Whedon wrote an expensive slow moving 2hr premiere for Firefly that the network rejected and reedited a more exciting episode to use as the premiere. The universe Whedon created never quiet worked with very large number earthlike planets in one system with a Chinese wild west theme with 1800s technology, swords and horses coexisting with space travel and blasters. They never really explained it well or fleshed out the Alliance in any meaningful way (not helped the the last minute reordering of episodes). Cowboy Bebop did a much better job with the idea first.

The series took half a dozen of its 14 eps to really get going, it was in a poor time-slot slot on Friday nights and was preempted by Baseball play-offs several times.

The Train Job, Out of Gas, Objects in Space and Serenity were the only well written episodes and to be honest I didn’t feel like watching…

5. tomothyd July 30, 2013 at 3:33 pm -

Like others I was sticking to this show only because I thought it was a one season story. I imagine that they have not finished production of the final episode which is how they can renew it, or they filmed two endings based on the possibility of a second season. I have not read the book, so do not know if the dome does get lifted.
    It might work as a second season if they jump time by two years or something, show how people have come to live with the dome and how the town has collapsed and their resources are at the lowest point.

6. Pertinax July 30, 2013 at 3:32 pm -

How can they play on the scarcity idea, like them starting to run out of medicine, water etc. in the first few episode and then just keep it going forever?

7. HardcorePrawn July 30, 2013 at 1:56 pm -

I’m liking this show, but a part of my enjoyment was in thinking that it would all be done & dusted after 13 episodes.
    If this drags on and becomes Lost 2.0 then I’m probably going to lose interest.

8. Shelley July 30, 2013 at 1:43 pm -

Oh dear. Part of the reason I started watching was because it was a finite 1 series only. Now, I’m not so sure…

9. TasTVcameraman July 30, 2013 at 1:43 pm -

I watch it on Saturday nights when there is nothing else worth watching on FTA. Back that up with White Collar and Red Widow at a more convenient time along with Squizzy I have a perfect Saturday night viewing across TEN, Seven and Nine.

10. David Knox July 30, 2013 at 1:37 pm -

Happy TEN has a show that is firing, but it was too banal for me.

11. poss July 30, 2013 at 1:24 pm -

I only lasted three episodes?…….. How the heck are they going to drag it out any longer.

12. deedeedragons July 30, 2013 at 1:20 pm -

I hope they keep the book ending and it sends people insane.

13. Carringbush July 30, 2013 at 1:09 pm -

I stuck with this for the very reason that it was only 13 eps long. Yes, it’s pretty lame at times but with an ending in sight, it was good filler. Don’t know if i’ll have the patience to stick with it next year.

14. disappointed July 30, 2013 at 12:54 pm -

The Dome was only listed to have 13 episodes so we only need to wait another eigh episodes (including tonights) to find out what the dome is and why it’s there.

15. Secret Squirrel July 30, 2013 at 12:52 pm -

Why does this poorly written, directed, acted lamefest get another season when something as magical as Firefly got canned before the first season ended? Yes I’m still sulking about that.

16. jesicka309 July 30, 2013 at 12:19 pm -

I don’t know if I’m a fan of this…dragging out the story can only hurt it. If anything, the book suffers from too much padding. The last thing the show needs is more.
    My partner already asked me to spoil the ending because he was bored of the premise – I’m glad I did, because I can’t imagine telling him “actually, you’re going to have to wait another 13+ episodes to see what the dome is and why it’s there.”
    They can’t drag out the ‘mysterious dome out of nowhere’ hook for too long, and beyond one season is pushing it.

17. MattJ July 30, 2013 at 12:12 pm -

Sourcing this show else where and i’m hooked!

I hope TEN keeps this show regardless of ratings… but saying that they’ll shove the show in different time slots and the drop it… ughhhh