What’s so special about Shaun the Sheep?

By David Knox on July 17, 2013 / Filed Under News 23

He’s often the most popular thing on our multichannels, so what’s so special about Shaun the Sheep?

Plenty.

Simple stories, clear characters, slapstick comedy, imagination, colour and movement and plasticine….

This spin-off of Wallace and Gromit has been broadcast in 180 countries around the world.

If you’ve never seen his adventures because you’re at work, take a look at what you’re missing out on.

1. K Watson July 18, 2013 at 2:36 pm -

A more pertinent question should be.
    Why does Shaun the Sheep have a full head of wool and his companions are all bald?
    Us fans need to know.

2. frankly July 18, 2013 at 11:51 am -

The story telling how it should be.

Thanks for the hint!

3. PJs Ronin July 18, 2013 at 11:26 am -

The SMH has a run a story over the past couple of days about “The unluckiest man alive” that has garnered massive public support with donations and comments on the SMH site. The reason for this is simple. The ‘unluckiest man’ also happens to be (apparently) one of the nicest blokes you could ever meet. The public are getting fed up with the ‘Sandilands’ of this world and respond super positive to people with honesty and character.

Shaun and Timmy are of a similar ilk. The world, at times, seems to deal them a rough hand but they always come up smiling because they are good people, err ummm , sheep.

4. Pertinax July 18, 2013 at 9:12 am -

I was put onto it by my Niece. The first series is terrific. Great characters and terrific visual storytelling and humour.

The stories weren’t as good in the second series tough (when they switched to model/plasticine figures and Blizter just didn’t look right).

5. Stan July 17, 2013 at 10:37 pm -

Jezza, it seems you have a bright future as commercial TV executive.

6. jezza the first original one July 17, 2013 at 9:40 pm -

We joke about ch7,9 or 10 picking up STS, but….. it would rate very highly somewhere in their networks….and think of the demo

7. Sammee July 17, 2013 at 9:32 pm -

It’s the theme song!

8. deedeedragons July 17, 2013 at 9:01 pm -

I like Timmy Time better.

9. JB July 17, 2013 at 8:40 pm -

Oh so that’s Shaun The Sheep. Always wondered what is was that kept winning multichannel ratings. Yeah i liked it.

10. ilovetv July 17, 2013 at 8:33 pm -

I think Ch10 need it more.

11. Jock July 17, 2013 at 8:22 pm -

Soon on 7: “Can you spot, the Goat?”

12. jezza the first original one July 17, 2013 at 7:36 pm -

ch9 need to buy this and put it on in prime time, say 6.45pm and cut back on ACA. They would get huge ratings

13. ilovetv July 17, 2013 at 7:13 pm -

Shaun the Sheep is amazing.

14. Earthquake July 17, 2013 at 6:49 pm -

Wow, I’ve never seen it before but it looks great! Thanks for the heads up, David!

15. Stan July 17, 2013 at 6:17 pm -

Glennc & Chris, thanks for the responses. I wasn’t sure because I always thought a channel & network’s overall rating number came from all times of day, not just primetime.

Neat121, yes, many of their programs have a very short runtime. But when it comes to ratings, even the two-minute long ABC News Updates usually make the primary channel top 20.

Lucky for OzTAM that ABC don’t care about ratings, huh? :)

16. Chris July 17, 2013 at 5:42 pm -

Yeah Stan I think the daily rating % is just 6-11pm or something.

17. neat121 July 17, 2013 at 5:28 pm -

@Stan it is a curous one. Maybe because many of the ABC4Kids shows that make the top 20 are only about 10-15mins long?

18. glennc July 17, 2013 at 5:24 pm -

@stan, the figures are based solely on 6pm- midnight.

19. Stan July 17, 2013 at 5:03 pm -

I always scratch my head at the multichannel numbers. ABC2 (ABC4Kids) absolutely dominates the multichannel top 20, yet ABC2′s overall numbers come in around 2-3%, while Go Channel & 7Two usually do around 4%. They still consistently beat most other multichannels, but I don’t understand why their overall numbers don’t kill the two Nine & Seven offerings. Is it because most of these programs are kids shows airing outside primetime? Confused…

20. max July 17, 2013 at 4:56 pm -

I’m surprised I actually liked it I might watch it whenever I have a chance.

21. randwick July 17, 2013 at 4:42 pm -

It’s not reality television – thats why it’s so popular ……

22. mycreations July 17, 2013 at 4:23 pm -

All I can say is lol this is more entertaining than some shows

23. kitkat July 17, 2013 at 4:19 pm -

The whole family loves Shaun the Sheep. I even have my own Timmy plush that cries and shakes when you take his dummy out. My niece and nephews love it too. Need to check when the next dvd comes out. There’s also a movie in the works.