Election night 2013: gallery

By David Knox on September 8, 2013 / Filed Under Election, News 31

elc6TV networks all did an admirable job of covering Election Night 2013 (that result is too close to call).

I saw hefty slices of most networks, except for SBS which was only covering from 9:30 – 10:30, which was the same time as leader speeches. Instead of a wrap at 10:30 it chose to play the scheduled Massive Moves documentary instead. Weird (although the title was an apt comment on the state of the nation).

elec5

Across the networks there were former pollies giving their opinions, live crosses to winners and losers, whiz-bang graphics from networks and social media tweets and instagrams.

elec6

Amongst the new members of parliament are Nine Ventures Managing Director David Coleman winning the seat of Banks for the Liberal Party. Former news presenter Sarah Henderson, who has worked for Seven, Nine, TEN, ABC and NITV, also won the country’s most marginal seat of Corangamite for Liberal.

elec9

As Nine crossed to Kevin Rudd’s base at the GABBA for his concession speech the big screens were watching ABC.

During Rudd’s marathon speech, he even said: “I saw SKY News just now saying we’re all gone including me. Anyway…”

elc1

When Nine crossed to the Four Seasons Hotel in Sydney for Tony Abbott’s acceptance speech the big screens had SKY News.

One bloke tried to gatecrash Abbott’s family photo before security rushed him offstage.

There were also some off-script quotes and clangers.

Stephen Smith said: “Big Dick Adams is gonna be hard to dislodge, But I can tell you Big Dick is hard to dislodge from anything.”

elec4

On Seven, Senator Don Farrell was asked early in the evening who might next be ALP leader. But he refused to speculate.
Don Farrell: “Kevin Rudd is our leader….”
Barnaby Joyce: “And will be for the next 10 minutes!”

elec2

Also on Seven a live cross to Clive Palmer didn’t go too well, when Mark Riley tried some pressing questions.

Clive Palmer: “I tell you what mate. I’ve got more money than you could ever dream of.”

As the panel persisted, Palmer eventually ripped out his earpiece and walked off in a huff.

elc3

On SKY News a glum Bob Hawke said of the ALP: “They really have to have a good look at themselves. Because as the panel has noted earlier today, one of the outstanding features of tonight is the way they’ve been smashed.

He also said, “The values we established in the ALP in the 80’s and 90’s have been lost.”

elec3

Nine replaced its Shredder with a Sharknado-style pit called the Gurgler into which images of losing members were dumped.

Karl Stefanovic : That’s going to become a permanent fixture here at Channel Nine.
Lisa Wilkinson: “You shouldn’t laugh about that.”

elec8

At 9:16 Lisa Wilkinson declared Breaking News: “Tony Abbott is the new prime minister.”
Laurie Oakes: “I think we broke that weeks ago.”

elec7

elc4

On TEN Charlie Pickering joked: “Have the Wallabies done enough to save the furniture?”

But Steve Price said what we were all thinking.

“Jaymes Diaz is a dope!” he said.

elx7

1. lin September 10, 2013 at 7:48 pm -

Flipped around all the channels and the footy on 7. Coverage on 9 was good apart from the shark tank and the endless social media comments. Thought their panelists were OK even Karl was reasonably subdued, but did not like Costello at all, he was arrogant and gloating. Usually prefer the ABC but this time was a bit disappointed with their coverage. Didn’t mind The Project’s coverage, but missed most of Seven’s coverage as it was on 72 in Adelaide and it was nearly over before I found out!

2. Ann September 9, 2013 at 4:16 pm -

Pity my Foxtel remote could not let me scan the stations quickly, so much to see and with sport as well

3. way2go September 9, 2013 at 1:56 am -

i usually watch 7 for news so went straight to them, i actually really liked 7s graphics, clear and showed everything you needed to know and kept cycling (did 10 show anything at all?) however their pollie panel was crap, full of morons and heads stuck up asses. i honestly dont blame Palmer for walking, and it was the panel that made me channel flick only to find not much better.
    Cant stand karl, so didnt even try and watch 9, SKY was information overload, ABC was too boring. so we had 7 on mute and played a board game. really wasnt impressed with any of them.

4. Belinda September 8, 2013 at 10:48 pm -

Was Kerry O’Brien sucking on a cough drop instead of eating? Someone on that panel was doing really bad coughs when they switched to Tony or Antony.

5. catherine September 8, 2013 at 7:08 pm -

Clive Palmer is like Donald Trump. Both have the biggest egos and love to remind everyone how rich they are.

Mark Riley is a respected journalist who was just doing his job.

Palmer wants to be the next pm. Well guess what you have to deal with tricky questions

6. Sydney2K September 8, 2013 at 6:40 pm -

I stuck mainly to the Project and switched to the ABC when they turned to someone I didn’t care for. I enjoyed the broadcast, but they seemed to have a real problem with offsite audio. I think next time they need to have a running gimmick. Not like Nine’s shark pool (and yeah, Antony Green’s VRliament was the ABC’s gimmick), something that keeps the audience informed and engaged and something that the presenters can turn to.

7. poida September 8, 2013 at 6:30 pm -

Nine’s “gurgler” was a hoot (particularly how some candidates were fed to the sharks twice), as was their touch screen tv with social media. Nice combination of expert commentary and humour.

8. William September 8, 2013 at 5:41 pm -

@Maev…Sydney
    It was Formula 1 qualifying not practice but can’t wait to see what the weather will be like for the race
    @ryan – Joe is on Studio 10

9. ryan September 8, 2013 at 5:05 pm -

That guy Joe that was on 10’s coverage and the guy going to 10’s new morning show is a complete fool! He looks like 10 just walked outside and asked a homeless to come help them! Doesn’t know how to talk normally and jokes are pathetic! I hope ten has realised this

10. kimbeth September 8, 2013 at 4:32 pm -

Yes I agree with others the shark idea was silly. Especially when the same people kept showing up, it was so unprofessional. Scott Morrison is a smug narcissistic toss who will get his own medicine soon enough. Ch 10 was fun but seemed way behind on every development. Those touch screens that some used were novel and unnecessary.

11. Jason September 8, 2013 at 3:42 pm -

Saw a bit of Nine’s coverage on ABC this morning. A desk with 10 talking heads. A stupid shark tank. Not very respectful and prone to deeply offend someone who has lost someone to a shark. And those hideous colours.

12. Maev....Sydney September 8, 2013 at 3:28 pm -

I turned on the TV late…and watched F1 practice.

13. nevothirty September 8, 2013 at 2:46 pm -

the biggest issue is the fact that Australia f***ed up we have an Aussie version of george w bush running the country whose views belong in the 1950’s. we are so f***ed.

14. jonno September 8, 2013 at 2:31 pm -

I mainly flicked between Nine and ABC. Nine was good except for the smirky interrupting Costello. I loved the sharks. ABC was probably the most professional. What was the go with Kerry O’Brien. He came on and was eating, he went to a cross and came back and was still eating. Must of been hungry. I did flick over to The Project a couple of times but some of the things they were announcing I had already heard much earlier on Nine and ABC. Never gave 7 a look.

15. maxxdude September 8, 2013 at 2:25 pm -

I was so glad that I had a company awards dinner on last night so I did not have to suffer the blanket coverage.
    The only part I saw when I got home was Amanda
    Vanstone insulting Kevin Rudd (I am sure she would have been doing it all night) so I switched over to Harry Potter on Go!

16. ros September 8, 2013 at 2:13 pm -

The ABC was the place to be if you wanted a comprehensive, no nonsense coverage. I glanced at 7 and 9’s coverage occasionally but was put off by the awful colour of their sets, graphics, and far too many talking heads on set. What is it with the commercial networks? They have the resources but inevitably resort to coverage that is less than satisfying.

17. Goatracer September 8, 2013 at 2:00 pm -

Only enjoy Sport live,Sportsbet paid out on the election last week so watching the election was like replaying an old grand final just to see who took the best mark.

18. OzJay September 8, 2013 at 1:03 pm -

Technically and aesthetically, the ABC’s coverage was superior, and Antony Green is the gold standard of electoral analysts, but Kerry O’Brien seems to have slowed down and lost interest, and their party commentators were dull too. Annabelle Crabbe was the only spark on the panel. They really should have pressed Leigh Sales into service. She might have made Kerry look alive.

19. jezza the first original one September 8, 2013 at 12:22 pm -

Channel 10 election coverage was a ratings disaster

20. oztvheritage September 8, 2013 at 12:20 pm -

I switched a lot. Just could not handle 7s graphics. Just awful and so distracting. Was looking forward to the project but clearly lacked credibility Nine had an excellent panel.
    National tally room appears dead!!

21. Andrew September 8, 2013 at 12:04 pm -

I thought Ten did a great coverage with The Election Project although it didn’t do enough to cover results for more seats. They needed to do a scroll along the bottom like the others did — but maybe they assumed their audience all had second screens and were keeping up to date with specific seats online.

I switched over to Nine and saw that stupid shark pool thing. Classy. Even worse when the same pollies pictures kept appearing even after their picture had been dumped to the shark only 30 seconds earlier.

22. btn September 8, 2013 at 11:52 am -

Watched 7,9,ABC on and off last night. 7 was purely amateur and not just their graphics. Nines graphics were excellent – except for the shark pool which looked like it belonged on the project. Their panel also lapped 7 – Costello and Vandstone were in fine form. Emerson was ok considering he the bulk of the heavy lifting… Crean was either asleep or disinterested. ABC bordered on unprofessional with Red Kerry obvious disdain for the result. Purely for numbers it was the best though and Sinodinos and Smith were good panellists. 9 won comfortably for me though. Anyone who watched 7 either fell asleep or lost the remote!

23. Jason September 8, 2013 at 9:59 am -

“Jaymes Diaz is a dope!” Totally agree but the scarry thing is, he got 45% of the vote.
    ABC had the cleanest, easiest graphics. 7 & 9 were just graffiti in jarring colours with too much on the screen at the same time.
    Kevin Rudd at The Gabba, Tony Abbott at the Four Seasons Hotel. Say no more.

24. tomothyd September 8, 2013 at 9:20 am -

Had a flick around the channels in between watching recorded stuff. Channel 7’s big touch screen reading mindless social media comments was slow and unnecessary. Don’t know why they needed the touch screen. It was not impressive. Nine had the same touch screen and that was just as pointless.
    Ten had more interesting and humrous coverage with the regulars from The Project. Todd Sampson and his ‘ironic’ and ‘wacky’ t-shirts – I am so over that guy. Just dress for the occasion for once.

25. Sifter September 8, 2013 at 9:09 am -

Nine’s panel seemed the most lively, so that was where i ended up staying most of the night. Switched to ABC if I wanted a better view on the numbers, because Antony Green is still the king and the ABC graphics were much clearer and made more sense. eg. Ross Greenwood tried hard but I swear the Nine graphics showed swings against all the parties, which is impossible…so switched to ABC whenever Greenwood appeared. Tried Seven, but as soon as they went to twitter for news/reactions I switched off – twitter can die in a heap. I can tolerate tweets on the bottom of the screen, but please don’t direct my attention to them!

26. Pertinax September 8, 2013 at 8:57 am -

Actually the ALP did fairly well considering. Polls in the last days were suggesting a much worse result. It appears that like in 2010 many in Brisbane and some Sydney marginal seats told pollsters they were voting LNP as a protest but voted ALP anyway.

It was amusing to see Kerry so upset by the ALP not winning, he took it much worse than Steve Smith.

I had a look at the ABC coverage but it was all fumbling about with a monitor and trying to psychoanalyse the ALP and what they should have to win. Governing well wasn’t even on the table apparently.

So I spent 5 minutes looking at the half a dozen interesting seats and the senate group first preferences online. The Liberal Democratic Partying in the donkey seat may get up in the NSW senate because of Liberal National voters voting for them by mistake.

27. Andyh2 September 8, 2013 at 8:30 am -

Scanning the networks, I think Nine’s coverage was the best (except for the sharks!).

I was a bit disappointed in the ABC coverage. To me, it didn’t seem to be as good as previous elections.

Seven’s coverage was ok…a bit boring and lots of dead air. Palmer’s interview was the highlight.

Nine won hands down in terms of social media interactivity.

28. enzso September 8, 2013 at 8:17 am -

I watched a little of the ABC’s coverage but for much of it Kerry O’Brien seemed to be trying to eat his dinner as he threw from place to place. And the ABCs virtual parliament was a little…..amateurish

29. hotgoat September 8, 2013 at 7:36 am -

Kerry O’Brian was so unprofessional, I cannot believe that he was either chewing gum or sucking a lollie during the broadcast.

30. MHA September 8, 2013 at 7:32 am -

Did anyone see Leigh Sales behind Kerry O’Brien during the night? It had me laughing when I saw the cardboard cut out of her bobbing behind Kerry. It was at the latter end of the broadcast, possily a stunt from The Chaser boys?

31. Craig September 8, 2013 at 7:01 am -

Palmer will probably sue ch7 now :P

I watched The Project’s coverage, better than the often dry coverage of the others in past years.