Gallery: Farewell Dexter

By David Knox on September 22, 2013 / Filed Under Pay TV 15

2013-09-21_2306Update: Reaction Comments are now published below following final broadcast!

Tomorrow the television life of Dexter Morgan comes to an end -at least for now.

After 8 seasons, Michael C. Hall hangs up his butcher knives for the last time, having played the character based on Darkly Dreaming Dexter since 2006.

I’ve lost count of the number of kills this anti-hero has staged but for the most part it’s been a thrilling ride (my thoughts in this season are well-documented). Some seasons have involved the most elaborate twist-turning plotting imaginable, and we’ve rooted for him the whole time.

While Showtime is still talking about a spin-off, I’m hoping to see his character expire in a blaze of glory. Give us something to remember!

2013-09-21_2306_001Special mention must go to Jennifer Carpenter for her intense, ball-breaking performance as his sister Deb (save for the bizarre plotting moment where she had a crush on her brother -eww).

John Lithgow takes the cake as the ultimate enemy in season 4, especially after killing off Rita (Julie Benz) in one of the show’s most profound moments.

Supporting players were also rather wonderful, notably C.S. Lee as the always creepy Masuka.

2013-09-21_2308

2013-09-21_2307_001

Producers are promising the ending will “polarise” the audience.

Please note TV Tonight will post a story on Tuesday morning in reaction to the final episode, which airs at 4:30 / 9:30pm Monday on Showcase.

2013-09-21_2307_002

2013-09-21_2310

2013-09-21_2308_001

2013-09-21_2309

2013-09-21_2307_003

2013-09-21_2312

2013-09-21_2330

1. underwoodandrew September 24, 2013 at 11:01 am -

Doakes come back and killed Dexter . then Masukas daughter walks of with him. what a twist that was

2. TBone23 September 24, 2013 at 12:06 am -

Ok that was such waste was hoping for something better in truth the lst few seasons have been a waste :(

3. Kristi September 23, 2013 at 11:15 pm -

Gosh, that was the second worst series for finale for me! (Lost was the worst) As you said David, so many possibilities not realised. As I’ve been watching the entire series my fear was that they would end with Dexter on a beach chair somewhere unknown, having gotten away with everything. This is pretty much the same premise as what happened except he’s in a cabin! And unhappy which sucks. So very disappointed and bummed out, even him really dying on the boat in the storm would have been better. And I hate that Deb died.

4. jtshadow65 September 23, 2013 at 9:26 pm -

it was so disappointing they shouldnt end it so bad the books are much better especially how dexters step kids have a dark passenger like dexter & dexter teaches them the code & that dexter doesnt kill he’s step brother & also debra finds out about dexter in the first book

5. Matt F September 23, 2013 at 8:26 pm -

A few loose ends are still loose – like Masuka / daughter story.

6. max September 23, 2013 at 8:22 pm -

That was terrible it was like a normal episode not a finale.

7. David Knox September 23, 2013 at 5:33 pm -

So many possibilities this season. So few realised.

8. justin September 23, 2013 at 5:26 pm -

Well that was embarrassingly horrible. Possibly the worst series finale of all time.

9. Dalmanic September 23, 2013 at 2:02 pm -

Only 2 1/2 hours to go and I’m tense already!

Please don’t kill him or Hannah or anyone except Saxon……

10. JoeS September 23, 2013 at 9:28 am -

I think if you a fan (which I am) then the final series still brings it…hope tonight is the blaze of glory you talking about David.

@ Sifter – I assume you were a Chuck fan then, if not I suggest you watch it. More than enough of “Hannah” in there.

11. Sifter September 23, 2013 at 7:58 am -

I don’t think the final season(s) have been quite as good…But: a) it’s really easy to criticise as a show gets older and it’s harder to satisfy fans just because they are subconsciously getting more demanding, and B) the good work the show has done in earlier seasons has pulled me through. The characters are so good that even twists I don’t like are breezed over in my mind.

Also helping…will watch anything with Yvonne Strahovski in it! She has such an awesome smile and I have a massive crush on Hannah as a result – I’m definitely hoping it ends well for Hannah.

12. jtshadow65 September 23, 2013 at 2:12 am -

i wished they continue on & take more story plots from the books i mean dexter;s foster kids have dark passengers as well & dexter teaches them the code and cody does the killings that would be so awesome to see & even though i havent seen any of the 8th or even the 7th season reading everything about season 8 & i feel like the writers phoned it in, i mean its the last season it should be non stop action maybe it ends with Debra killing dexter for some random reason

13. Les Solomon September 22, 2013 at 10:41 am -

Is it possible for you not to give the ending away in your headline, so those like myself who prefer to watch it on DVD (and its coming out in a few weeks)dont know what is happening. I prefer to also watch “Offspring” on DVD yet there was no way i could escape headlines telling me Matty was being killed off.

14. Glory Days September 22, 2013 at 10:07 am -

I will be reacting to your story on Tuesday also. Monday night for me is Dexter and Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire has to wait until Tuesday night.

15. tomothyd September 22, 2013 at 8:38 am -

I gave up on Dexter half way though season 7. I have always said that it should have stopped after season 4. Nothing could or has topped that intensity, drama and shock in the later seasons.