TEN to Wake Up mornings from November 4th

By David Knox on October 15, 2013 / Filed Under Programming, Top Stories 38

2013-10-15_1056TEN has now announced that its new breakfast and morning television line-up will  premiere on Monday, November 4.

This is the network’s second attempt in 12 months to compete aggressively in breakfast television, and it takes on a crowded market with Sunrise, Today and ABC News Breakfast. Much is at stake for TEN as it chases advertising revenue in morning television, but it has ambitiously block-programmed in the push to make impact.

5.30am: TEN Eyewitness News Early
6.30am: Wake Up
8.30am: Studio 10
10.30am: Studio 10 You
11.00am: TEN Eyewitness News Morning

Wake Up begins at  6.30am live from “Surf City”, Manly, hosted by James Mathison, Natarsha Belling and Natasha Exelby. Nuala Hafner presents  local news for each market from Melbourne’s Federation Square.

Sam Mac joins as a roving reporter, while Maude Garrett presents entertainment news from Los Angeles.

Network Ten Director of Morning Television, Adam Boland, said: “I am very thankful to the team at Network TEN for meeting every challenge presented to them. Producing a show from a beach studio was no small task, but the result makes it more than worthwhile.

“Local news, stunning locations, engaging hosts and real conversation – we reckon we will give viewers something that is missing from breakfast television and we just can’t wait to get on air.”

Studio 10 airs from 8.30am, notably before its competition ends, from TEN’s Pyrmont studios hosted by Ita Buttrose, Joe Hildebrand, Sarah Harris and Jessica Rowe. It features an in-the-round set and a live studio audience.

Regular contributors include reporter Jono Coleman, Showbiz File reporters Angela Bishop and Craig Bennett, and Health and Medical Editor Dr Andrew Rochford.

L To R Jessica Rowe, Sarah Harris, Ita Buttrose and Joe Hildebrand from Studio 10At 10.30am each day,  Studio 10 You expands to health, beauty and well-being as clinical psychologist Jo Lamble on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for live counselling segments. Dr Andrew Rochford will cover medical issues every Tuesday and Thursday.

Studio 10 Executive Producer Rob McKnight said: “This is one of the best teams on television. From our superstar panel to the best experts in the business, Studio 10 will be a must-watch destination in the morning.

Studio 10 will offer a true alternative with great conversation and a fantastic mix of segments.

“The live studio audience changes everything. They add an air of excitement you simply can’t replicate,” he said.

Adam Boland added: “We are incredibly proud to have created something genuinely different. These two shows are different from each other and more importantly, different from their competitors. We’re confident that mornings will never be the same.”

Matt Doran, Magdalena Roze and Scott Mackinnon will present TEN Eyewitness News at 5:30 and 11am, book-ending the new morning shows.

1. IheartABC October 17, 2013 at 3:01 pm -

I said “rarely” – which I am not infallible. I was wrong with Dancing with the Stars and I fail to see the attraction of The Block. I was spot on with everything 10 offered last year and I am pretty close to my call for Wonderland to be 400K a few weeks in.
    Still, Wake Up may be a resounding success – but I predict an early “turn on” factor which give a false dawn of hope (let’s say 80K for the first few weeks) and then it’s lack of content any any bankable talent will bite them very hard and it will be back to the numbers Rochford and Paul Henry gave 10 last year.
    10 would have to stick with this money pit for about 2 years and re-invent the wheel a few times along the way for it to even match ABC Breakfast let alone overtake it and challenge 7 or 9. I don’t think 10 execs have the Japanese long term view into building successful products and then brands over years and…

2. David Knox October 17, 2013 at 12:08 pm -

“I am rarely wrong.” Wow. Tickets. Should we go back and see when you were? :-o

3. IheartABC October 17, 2013 at 11:33 am -

I am rarely wrong. This will fail – due to a combination of stale recycled personalities, 10′s inabiity to launch anything successfully, the hubris of Adam Boland and the smell of desperation that accompanies the cawing pf seagulls and spray of waves hitting rocks.
    Having left tv a few years back to rejoin corporate Australia, I have been a curious observer of 10′s dysfunctional programming. Not a watcher of their programs, mind you (apart from downloads of Homeland and The Americans).
    I don’t think 10′s execs could make a vegemite sandwich – even if you gave them the bread, butter, vegemite, knife and plate and step-by-step instructions.
    A commercial breakfast show full of light-hearted banter (read – laughing uproariously at each other’s jokes and rolling eyes at imappropriate comment from token bloke), news headlines, weather, traffic, cross to LA for celeb gossip etc etc is…

4. advoc8 October 17, 2013 at 9:24 am -

In all fairness, till we see a few of the new ‘ Wake Up and Studio 10′s ‘ offerings we can’t really comment very much, but what we can comment on is our perceptions of those selected to front these new ventures, and how such a mix of respected journalists/personalities etc.will work with some of the other legendary egotistic failures, and the best of luck to network Ten in the mornings after the honeymoon is over.
    @maxxdude
    You seem to have missed that the very much over hyped Ms hotness, Samantha Armytage has morphed ” Kochie” into an even more cringe worthy ” Kochmister “, that comes across as hollow as the very obvious contrived humour and congeniality amid the waves of network seven’s typical but expert engineering of perceptions upon unsuspecting viewers.

5. victweety October 16, 2013 at 1:08 pm -

So what happens to ET and omg! Insider?

6. AEDDIE October 16, 2013 at 11:24 am -

Wake Up looks pretty good and so does Studio 10. I hope they do well.

7. David Knox October 16, 2013 at 9:24 am -

Breakfast TV ratings use 7-9am as the standard anyway. The earlier numbers are separated into another figure.

8. Brekkie October 16, 2013 at 9:00 am -

The later start won’t harm it – breakfast TV is designed to be viewed in chunks rather than their entirity so if anything Wake Up offers people a lie in I guess. Also it removes a lower rating early period from the show which can be spun to it’s advantage.

Here in the UK the definitive alternative breakfast show – The Big Breakfast – ran from 7-9am compared to a 6am start for the more news based alternatives and that served the show really well. And for viewers perhaps unsure if they want to give up on Sunrise/Today giving them half an hour either end to watch a bit might actually encourage them to channel hop and watch a bit of Wake Up as their morning routine too.

9. harrypotter1994 October 15, 2013 at 11:33 pm -

Love the comments re Ita not being in the target demographic, umm Denise Drysdale was on the Circle, Bob Katter, Steve Price etc on The Project?

10. Chris N. October 15, 2013 at 11:06 pm -

Wow, first time I’ve heard Sunrise/Today described as “hard hitting”.

And I feel like James is copping a lot of flak for some reason. I think he’s hilarious and a great presenter. He’s especially a good fit if they’re trying to skew young. Angela Bishop and Jono Coleman on the other hand….

11. chadsterboi October 15, 2013 at 10:42 pm -

I still believe the concept of this show will be a light heart approach to news throughout the morning. 7 and 9 will have its hard news hitting journos, while Ten will have reporters but with a more youthful alternative approach. I can not see older Australian audiences switching to this format at the moment. I think this new way will catch on in about 10 years once the people in their 30′s become 40 and a new era of generations see this as the new way to do news. However, I think this will take time. I am still not sure about James, as far as news stories go, I think they’ll limit the questions he asks to people getting interviewed. Getting down and closing the show on the beach would be a nice way to end the show as the back drop could get a bit boring if they just stay up there with water and palm trees in the background. Get amongst the surfers and joggers and create a sense of…

12. Craig October 15, 2013 at 9:56 pm -

I’ll check it out, but I don’t watch much morning TV anymore, rather catch up on my late night talk shows like Ferguson and Conan.

13. glennc October 15, 2013 at 9:48 pm -

@Bazza I’d say Ten’s reasoning for having Natasha Exelby on Wake Up is to try and attract viewers like me who think she’s attractive. Without her on Wake Up, it’s no chance of getting anything past a fleeting glance to check it out. They’ll get more chances from me purely based on her being there!

@Trev isn’t Ten’s target demo these days 25-54? Ita should drag in a few of the older viewers.

14. Regional Viewer October 15, 2013 at 8:54 pm -

over five hours of news what a waste

15. Bazza October 15, 2013 at 8:48 pm -

Why have they got that loser Natasha Exelby onboard again? She simply can’t read from an autocue. Her verbal fumbling about is *very* tedious.

I’ll stick with ABC thanks, at least it’s actual news with very little editorial and the guys are actually starting to work well together.

16. oztvheritage October 15, 2013 at 8:24 pm -

I hope this show works cause ten really need it to succeed to build the network around But have to say the hosts performances in the promos is very ordinary. Very Poorly directed. No problem with 6.30am start. Can’t be many viewers on offer before then anyway. Ten offering news from 5.30am to 11.30pm is impressive unlike 7 and 9. Hate the name studio 10 but thought that was going to be from mainly too??? Would have made it different to the competition. I would have thought a beach setting would have been more suited to a morning show than a breakfast show.

17. jumpingben October 15, 2013 at 6:36 pm -

Pass.. Thank you 10 but ABC24 for me

18. jonno October 15, 2013 at 5:31 pm -

@jezza the original one – No I am not a 10 employee, although I can see why you would think that with my high praise for Wake Up. I am just a bit sick of all the TEN bashing. People seem happy to kick the boots in while they are down. I really believe this show has merit and could gain traction by word of mouth by the look of the promos and casting. We as viewers have a lot to gain by having 3 healthy commercial networks.

19. rsj2 October 15, 2013 at 4:31 pm -

Live studio audience .. multiple hosts..
    guest hosts.. Ange Bishop doing showbiz
    and even a blue round logo – seems they’ve
    come round to the old Circle format after all

20. amanda_20 October 15, 2013 at 4:30 pm -

Having Wake up as a 2 hour show is okay. But it should be 7-9, and the news at 6-7. That’s my opinion. Anyway, will give it a go.

21. randwick October 15, 2013 at 4:13 pm -

@trev – I do agree with you about James Matheson some of the way …. Im sure he’s a nice guy, but I think he suffers from the stench of Australian idol …. another ten reality program that died a slow painful death ….. and it will follow him forever …… so why have another ‘ten’ reality celebrity recycled onto another program… ?

22. tiger_tim October 15, 2013 at 3:47 pm -

Didnt Ten sign Mel McLaughlin (sp?) from Fox Sports for mornings? What is she going to be doing?

23. jezza the first original one October 15, 2013 at 3:30 pm -

@jonno…are you a ch10 employee?

how are ch10 gonna promote this? they don’t have much of an audience at the moment…

24. jonno October 15, 2013 at 2:26 pm -

Cannot wait for Wake Up. The set is sensational and the casting is brilliant. Bring it on, I say. I like the 6.30 am start. In the old days Today and Sunrise went from 7am to 9am. Doing only 2 hours will keep the show fresh. I think people will turn over at 8.30 as by then Sunrise and Today are spent, so Studio 10 will be a fresh change. Looking at the Wake-Up website, it looks like they will get a sunrise every morning as they get an easterly and southerly view. I have also read the council is open to beach concerts that will hold 30,000 people. Wow.

25. Jason October 15, 2013 at 2:18 pm -

@trev – What’s “10′s chosen demographics” between 8:30 & 11am? With Ellen (aged 55), Oprah (60), Whoopie (57), Barbara Walters (84), Dr Phil (63), I guess “oldies” don’t have much appeal ?
    Perhaps the intelligence of Ita will offset James Mathison.
    TEN has News from 5:30, which is their point of difference for an hour. At 6am I want news, not waffle about X-Factor/AGT/Big Brother etc.

26. eastwest101 October 15, 2013 at 2:15 pm -

Wake Up inner northern and eastern enclaves of Sydney! At least it will have different car crashes and bushfires than ABC News-Melbourne-Breakfast!!

27. maxxdude October 15, 2013 at 1:50 pm -

Why wait to start until half an hour after Sunrise & 1 hour after Today? Why do Ten have the worst promos on TV. The new promo for Wake Up is as bad as the TenPlay promo. And trying to turn James Mathison into Matto reeks of David Koch becoming Kochie & is another reason not to watch.
    I don’t want to look at a Sydney beach backdrop & a Melbourne backdrop during news breaks when I am in Brisbane. That is not a way to create an inclusive feel to the audience. I actually liked the set for Breakfast & don’t know why they couldn’t have reconfigured it for the new show.
    The lineup in both Wake Up & Studio 10 has too many divisive stars – Mathison, Exelby & Hildebrand to succeed.

28. craigj77 October 15, 2013 at 1:34 pm -

Starting your new show 30mins after your established competition sounds rather bizarre to me!

29. trev October 15, 2013 at 12:45 pm -

Although an Aussie Icon, Ita is 71 years old, how will that appeal to 10′s chosen demographics?

I shall repeat what has been said before. Anything with James Mathison in it has fail written all over it. There have been times when he has made Karl seem almost intelligent.

30. ohdenny October 15, 2013 at 12:42 pm -

Looks like a decent lineup and I like the idea of Studio 10 You. Only issues would be Exelby and Hildebrand but would still give it a chance.

31. benita_419 October 15, 2013 at 12:29 pm -

My nostalgic love for Channel Ten hasn’t extended to many of their new launches recently … But this has got me interested.
    I’m at least willing to give it a go and will be watching with curiosity. Not much else has caught my attention recently so am excited to see if they can succeed.

32. David Knox October 15, 2013 at 12:26 pm -

Doubt this year. Ask Adam Boland or Rob McKnight on Twitter?

33. Ry October 15, 2013 at 12:17 pm -

Do you think we will see a Saturday Studio 10 recap show to expose the show to new viewers?

If Wake Up does begin well and establishes itself, how long do you think until we see a Weekend Version?

34. JB October 15, 2013 at 11:51 am -

Although it’s doubtful you can get dumber than Karl Stefanovic, this seems to be going for the dumb youth market. In the promo you have Tash Exelby asking Nuala “what’s cracking”. Who says that these days?

35. PJC October 15, 2013 at 11:45 am -

@DaveM.. Given the competition didn’t alter their schedules against The Circle, which arguably had a half decent core following, I would very highly doubt they’ll do it this time..

36. DaveM October 15, 2013 at 11:17 am -

They’ll change it if Studio 10 rates half decently…

37. David Knox October 15, 2013 at 11:13 am -

Doubtful. I don’t see them being reactive to TEN with lower rating shows earlier.

38. DaveM October 15, 2013 at 11:11 am -

6:30 to 8:30 for Wake up? Bit of a strange timeslot…And how long do you think it will take for 9 and 7 to start Mornings and The Morning Show at 8:30 as well? Not long I bet…