Grant Denyer quits Million Dollar Minute. Simon Reeve to host.

By David Knox on November 29, 2013 / Filed Under News, Top Stories 37

2013-11-29_0912Grant Denyer has quit as host of Million Dollar Minute, to be replaced by Simon Reeve.

Denyer has quit the Seven game show just 10 weeks into the show’s run, citing family reasons.

“This has been a difficult decision because I love the show, but it’s in the best interests of my family at this time and as much as I love working on the show, I know it’s the right decision,” he said.

“The production schedule is gruelling and takes me away from home for extended periods of time.

“I’m pleased that I can pass the baton to Simon, who’s a good friend as well as a former colleague at Sunrise. I am a great admirer of Simon’s work and I know he’ll do a great job.”

But the move follows a lukewarm reception to Denyer as host as the show while it fought off ratings from Nine’s Hot Seat. A recent reader poll indicated some viewers could not warm to him as a quizmaster, with some feedback citing a lack of gravitas.

It’s also not the first time Denyer has quit a Seven television show. In March he quit Sunrise for family reasons.

The Million Dollar Minute announcement also comes on its final day of the TV ratings year, likely to fuel further speculation about behind the scenes motives.

Reeve will take over the hosting duties in the New Year.

1. TopRanked December 20, 2013 at 8:04 am -

No offence personally as I don’t know you Denyer but I have always unlike the way you talk on TV as it has no oomph to it, you look and sound so fake the it makes the show boring to watch. The host needs to be alive. Watch shows like Deal or No Deal for examples, Tony Babar was very good as well. They have Pizazz you do not. Never liked you on Sunrise either and in fact no show your ever on do I watch as you spoil it. Sorry m8 but it’s the truth. Find another line of work that doesn’t involve you being seen on TV.

2. essenza December 4, 2013 at 6:21 am -

Grant, best wishes to you & your family. A tough gig, you were doing a great job of it, IMO, & I had the pleasure to meet you.
    Unlike many tv “faces” you were not aloof or arrogant. Good luck in the future ;-)

3. SnideAsides December 2, 2013 at 7:14 pm -

@deedeedragons: A quick search reveals he hosted QuizMaster in 2002. (I thought he also did Million Dollar Chance of a Lifetime, but that was Sandy Roberts.)

4. markstar November 30, 2013 at 7:47 pm -

Simon Reeve will make a better host for this show.

5. dabooth November 30, 2013 at 3:14 pm -

Never happy as a game show host .

6. Mac November 30, 2013 at 1:25 am -

I like Denyer but he was rubbish as quiz host. Simon Reeve will actually make me watch. He’s a much better bet than ditching the show altogether.

7. MattC November 29, 2013 at 11:54 pm -

like other users on this site, I found it very hard to take Denyer seriously as a quiz show host. Simon Reeve is a great replacement, though. can’t wait to see him bring his ‘dad jokes’ to the 5.30pm slot.

8. chivasssimo November 29, 2013 at 10:39 pm -

Now all we need is no more slide show crap.

9. deedeedragons November 29, 2013 at 7:50 pm -

Love Simon. Didn’t he already host some quiz for 7? No, not It’s Academic. This had adults.

10. poida November 29, 2013 at 6:51 pm -

Good riddance.

His claymation “Wallace and Gromit” smile is sickening.

I think he was pushed.

11. Justsaying.. November 29, 2013 at 5:44 pm -

I to must admit that I find Grant so annoying to watch hence I never watch anything that he is a part of, I dunno I don’t think he’s the right fit for television don’t doubt he’s a nice guy, and for “family reason’s”?? he would have known the job’s schedule before he signed on.

12. tvluvatv November 29, 2013 at 5:27 pm -

Ok, so the single biggest problem with MDM has been addressed, and I for one am extremely happy with the choice of new host, now if only they tweak the format slightly, get rid of those stupid freeze frame questions which slow the game down to the point of boredom, can the fake audience reaction, offer varying amounts of cash for the leader to give up their lead or offer them a game to play to win a major prize, obviously increasing more with the amount of the lead, and also the money tree needs to grow faster for the end game. Finally make winning the actual million dollars more realistic, in its current format it will neve be won. To not only win 8 games in a row but also answer 8 million dollar minutes games with 5 correct answers in a row is possible, but IMO 99.9999% imposible. The current format is just an extremely poor mans Sale of the Century. Rant over.

13. jerryA November 29, 2013 at 5:24 pm -

MrJ yes in days of old it used to be a one day a week record. From what I gather these days the screws are on and some of these shows are taping 30 eps in under 2 weeks.

14. PJs Ronin November 29, 2013 at 4:52 pm -

In shows like MDM it’s the host who is the driving force. He/she has to be an entertainer to keep an audience involved. I hate to say it but Eddy McGuire is more of an entertainer than Denyer. Even taken to extremes, Andrew O’Keefe, who I detest with a passion, is the prime mover behind DOND and does a brilliant job.

I feel that Denyer is in the wrong occupation or the wrong side of the camera.

15. jayjay95 November 29, 2013 at 3:17 pm -

Denyer is hard to watch and sounds annoying! The best thing that has happened to MDM since its launch. Although I’m glad he’s gone, why is he leaving another Seven show again for the same reason as he did for Sunrise?

Simon Reeve is a very good choice for a replacement. I watched It’s Academic for a number of years with him as host and he excelled. Would expect the same once he takes over MDM.

16. SaxyBre84 November 29, 2013 at 1:35 pm -

At first the news took me by surprise, but then it’s not the first time Grant has stepped down from a major tv role. What are the chances that Simon will get a millionaire (or $500,000 winner)? When is Grant’s final episode?

So what happens with Slide Show? I hope that’s returning as I got a laugh out of every episode.

17. Thaddeus November 29, 2013 at 1:34 pm -

Maybe he got confused when the title of the show turned out to be a misnomer?

18. alvar November 29, 2013 at 1:33 pm -

The host is not the problem, its the show itself. It’s simply boring.

19. gregaus November 29, 2013 at 1:29 pm -

I would be happy to believe it’s just “family reasons” if he didn’t do this kind of thing all the time. Sadly, Denyer has built a reputation for doing this kind of thing. He has consistently shown that he finds it difficult to stay with one gig for any lengthy amount of time. Of course I wish him well, however in this industry, increasingly producers will find it harder to consider hiring him with this reputation of his.

20. maxxdude November 29, 2013 at 1:23 pm -

Does that mean he won’t be doing Slideshow either. Never been a fan of his but wish him well away from the spotlight. If I was rich I would pay him to never come back to TV.
    Simon Reeve is good but surely Seven could find some fresh talent.

21. David Knox November 29, 2013 at 1:13 pm -

Jezza: Don’t think a dozen posts on a blog means someone’s career is over. Denyer is albeit one of several personalities who tend to polarise viewers and the smoke signals aren’t encouraging right now.

22. daveinprogress November 29, 2013 at 12:57 pm -

Geesh, some harsh critics on this thread! Denyer has made public his ongoing health issues, and as I share his condition, predicting wellness and surety of reaching thresholds is tricky. I agree the network takes a gamble when someone has made it obvious they are health challenged, but he’s not duping anybody.

23. Mr. J November 29, 2013 at 12:10 pm -

Hard to believe the ‘family reasons’. don’t these shows film in 5+ episode blocks? He’d be getting a large pay packet for a job that averages out at working one day a week. Surely that would be perfect for a family man in tv. Most people in tv would kill for stable employment like that.

If it is true, 7 should really reconsider dropping his contract. He shouldn’t be allowed to sign up to so many jobs he can’t commit to.

24. kimbeth November 29, 2013 at 12:05 pm -

JB- That’s the million dollar question…

25. jezza the first original one November 29, 2013 at 11:51 am -

Judging by most of the comments on here, it would appear that Grant Denyer’s tv career is almost over. Maybe he should consider a move into production or some other off camera role…

26. JB November 29, 2013 at 11:10 am -

Good, shouldn’t have been chosen in the first place. I might watch now. When Grant went back to Sunrise, i went to ABC Breakfast, went back to Sunrise when he left again. The guy is terribly annoying, and clearly not liked by most viewers, why does he keep getting gigs?

27. babya November 29, 2013 at 10:59 am -

Love Simon on It’s Academic on 7TWO. Should be great to see him host MDM.

28. laurie November 29, 2013 at 10:49 am -

I thought that line quitting for family reasons was solely the excuse dumped politicians use

29. Dave November 29, 2013 at 10:35 am -

im counting 3 times grant has quit channel 7 to spend more time with his family. no doubt he’ll pop up again somewhere on tv soon and then to leave to spend more time with his family

30. dan November 29, 2013 at 10:34 am -

I will watch it when simon takes over i gave it a try when it started but lasted less than a minute because grant was so annoying

31. Lucy November 29, 2013 at 10:34 am -

Excellent news but host should be James Tobin. The oldies love him!
    Point of difference over Edward on Hot Seat.

32. steviem November 29, 2013 at 10:28 am -

My partner watches these shows and liked the format but couldnt warm to the Grant.

33. Dr.Karl Stefaknowvic November 29, 2013 at 10:11 am -

At least 7 wardrobe will save on Cuban heels.

34. SAgr8 November 29, 2013 at 10:01 am -

Andrew O’Keefe would be quite good as a host

35. Harry November 29, 2013 at 9:53 am -

Quit for family reasons- read – dumped – as the show has not rated well enough to beat Hot Seat. Nine usually stuffs thing up but the one thing they have got right is Hot Seat. (And News I suppose!)

36. kimbeth November 29, 2013 at 9:51 am -

Watch this show gain viewers next year. Denyer is hard to watch.

37. mr darcy November 29, 2013 at 9:32 am -