Oops. Foxtel apologises to Grammys over Beatles tribute.

By David Knox on December 22, 2013 / Filed Under Pay TV 3

2013-10-17_2219Foxtel has been forced to apologise to the Grammys for misinformation made at its Upfronts in which it announced a star-studded cast of performers for a Beatles 50th anniversary tribute.

The Night That Changed America: A Grammy Salute to the Beatles, to be recorded in January the day after the Grammys, celebrates 50 years since The Beatles first appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show.

In October Director of Television Brian Walsh told media and buyers, “An all-star line-up headed up by Sir Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono and George’s wife Olivia Harrison, along with some of the biggest names in music such as Justin Timberlake, Lady Gaga, Adele, Bruno Mars, P!nk and Katy Perry will gather to celebrate and perform the songs of The Beatles.

“What a show that will be. And it’s only on Foxtel next year.”

As TV Tonight later noted, it was quite the announcement given no names had been revealed in the US.

But now Foxtel has issued an apology to organisers and producers, The Recording Academy, AEG Ehrlich Ventures and Alfred Haber, Inc.

In a statement, Foxtel said, “Details of the show, incorrectly characterizing certain music performers, as appearing on the show, when, in fact, they had only been discussed as representation of the level of talent which might appear on the show, were revealed, despite a press embargo, to Australian advertisers at Foxtel’s company “Upfront” event, held in Sydney two months ago.”

Brian Walsh, Foxtel’s Executive Director of Television said: “The release of any embargoed or incorrect information about the special was unintentional and we offer our apologies, unreservedly, to the organizers and artists involved. We have the utmost respect for The Recording Academy, Ken Ehrlich AEG Productions and Alfred Haber, Inc. and extend our regret for any embarrassment and any problems our actions might have caused.”

3 Comments »

  1. David Knox December 22, 2013 at 12:02 pm -

    Foxtel had secured the show. But it’s more likely producers did the deal with a wish list of stars, in order to make the sale, as it hasn’t yet been produced. Still a mistake to announce it. Would never have become a problem for them if TV Tonight had not initially reported it!

  2. johnjet December 22, 2013 at 11:56 am -

    What’s to bet all those named, will be on the show.

  3. marauderxp December 22, 2013 at 11:24 am -

    Unintentional? Yeah sure..
    Strangely a similar thing happened with a particular TV series on Fox8 I believe it was, where they had announced it returning, but hadn’t even secured it, and 9 got the rights to it instead. Fox8 were forced to apologise.
    Foxtel must be so desperate if they have to resort to advertising (through announcement) shows without even securing them first, or in this case without even having signed anyone on.

    So this is the latest new poor tactics by Foxtel? Isn’t it enough that they rip everyone off and shove endless commercials down our throats and take channels away?

Leave A Response »

You must be logged in to post a comment.