Airdate: Secrets and Lies

By David Knox on February 19, 2014 / Filed Under Programming 20

Ep-1+TEN’s anticipated new drama Secrets and Lies will premiere 8:30pm Monday March 3rd.

The six part series starring Martin Henderson has attracted overseas interest with a US adaptation and a screening set for the UK.

But in Australia it will have to compete with Nine’s new Love Child series and Revenge on Seven.

TEN also has Puberty Blues returning in the same week.

Ben Gundelach is running. He’s thirty-five, it’s nearly dawn and the bush track he’s running on – the one he runs every day – is grey gloom. But this is no ordinary morning jog. Ben is a panicked, desperate man… He emerges from the track onto Blackwood Crescent, the suburban street he lives in. He races to his house, shouting at his wife to call the police. Ben has just discovered the body of a four-year-old boy on the track. He has been brutally murdered.

1. raif1700 February 20, 2014 at 11:05 am -

I cannot understand why australian programmers are obsessed with trying to ram everything into sunday-wednesday schedules, they must think nobody watches the other 3 days or people go out, well newsflash, nobody goes out more than the brits over the weekend but you’ll find most of their comedy, chat, panel, talent shows and some drama are on from thursday to saturday inc Dr.Who and they still rate and yet over here we get channel 7 showing Grease in primetime, a 36 yr old movie. Unbelievable.

2. Gonzo February 20, 2014 at 9:25 am -

Wow, the rest of the broadcast community clearly think this drama has a lot of potential, yet Ten shove it in front of a train.

3. A. February 20, 2014 at 3:16 am -

I’ll admit I share the concerns on how this will go. I just hope everyone somehow is wrong even though it is unlikely. I know they have to put something there. Let’s hope it does OK.

4. glennc February 19, 2014 at 9:17 pm -

Why shouldn’t Ten try and organise a schedule based on what’s best for them? If its good enough, surely the viewers will watch? Oh wait, its Ten, it doesn’t matter where they put it.

5. nik c February 19, 2014 at 8:15 pm -

I concur with everyone, this seems like a bad programming decision!
    I will record it since I can’t commit to Nein, no matter how good the reviews are!
    Secrets and Lies looks awesome and has a huge buzz…

6. TasTVcameraman February 19, 2014 at 7:54 pm -

For goodness sake why not Thursday nights.

Who is programming TEN.

Why put it up against the Nine and Seven offerings which are off and running.

Hopefully we will have “encore” screenings on Thursday nights.

7. catherine February 19, 2014 at 4:56 pm -

Really you dont want to put it on a Thursday night when there is nothing on. Love Child and Revenge will smash it.

8. joely February 19, 2014 at 4:46 pm -

I’m now convinced that Ten are deliberately trying to run the network into the ground. They’ve got shows that people actually want to watch (SYTYCDA, Secrets & Lies) but then they launch them up against some of the biggest shows in the country. Stupid!

Ten should give up on programming Sun-Tues for a few years and put all their strongest content on Wed-Sat. Let them build a following in a less-crowded environment. Maybe once they start winning the back-end of the week people will return to the network.

9. Russell February 19, 2014 at 2:36 pm -

Why on earth would ten schedule it against love child on nine which is already off to the races with huge ratings

Why not put on a night with less competition.

Ten is not in a strong enough position right now to compete

No one is watching ten to see the promos and know this show exists

Another effed move from ten this network is doomed

10. ph February 19, 2014 at 1:08 pm -

Was looking forward to this but with all that is on on Monday will just have to wait for the Blu ray from Quickflix. Patience will win out.

11. FKlein February 19, 2014 at 12:44 pm -

I will be watching this live and I’ll watch love child on catch up. Don’t care about American network television crap like revenge.

12. ohdenny February 19, 2014 at 12:43 pm -

Hmm I don’t think this will do well against Revenge and Love Child. Although I can see maybe those two would skew more female, so maybe there is an audience for it.

It also seems like they don’t have anywhere else to put it. Sun, Tues, Wed and Thur all are filled at 8:30 with decent (for TEN) rating shows by the time it debuts.

13. hannigans_heroes February 19, 2014 at 12:35 pm -

Really hoping this can be a success for Ten, but I can’t help but feel that it’s going to be DOA, especially in this timeslot. That being said, any slot at Ten is dead slot these days.

14. Billy C February 19, 2014 at 12:29 pm -

This looks really good. Hats off to ten for commissioning it, I’ll probably wait for DVD and smash it on a weekend though I don’t think I can watch crime mystery shows week to week anymore. Too long to wait if it’s good.

15. Luke W February 19, 2014 at 12:20 pm -

Does channel 10 deliberately want their shows to rate poorly? I thought they would know by now that they shouldn’t air Aussie Drama shows up against other Aussie drama shows. I would have put this on Thursday night.

16. Harry February 19, 2014 at 12:18 pm -

Why would TEN launch this against Love Child, now a big hit and Revenge that has built a dedicated audience over the past few years. There are now just not enough viewers available on Mobdays for it to do more that 600K to 700K. I was a big fan of TEN but they have now really lost the plot!

17. Adam February 19, 2014 at 12:12 pm -

Think it would do better on a different night… But that being said, I’ll watch this instead of Revenge or Love Child.

18. neat121 February 19, 2014 at 11:46 am -

Great series. Really keen to see how this goes!

19. bender February 19, 2014 at 11:40 am -

Really looking forward to this series and the return of Puberty Blues

20. J Bar February 19, 2014 at 11:29 am -

Monday? Already Revenge and Love Child are huge and it will be difficult competing for viewers there. I was hoping for Thursday which has nothing.