Matt White returns to TEN

By David Knox on April 18, 2014 / Filed Under News, Top Stories 22

2014-04-17_2329mSeven News presenter Matt White is headed back to TEN a decade after he last appeared with the network.

White, who spent 11 years with TEN prior to joining Seven, is set to join the network’s V8 Supercars coverage, which begins in 2015.

The deal was secured by TEN Chief Executive Officer Hamish McLennan.

“Matt is one of the great all-rounders in Australian television. He is polished, classy, articulate and the ultimate professional in a wide range of roles – from news and public affairs to sport and special events. I am delighted that he has decided to join us,” McLennan said.

“Matt will add his special touch to our coverage of the V8 Supercars and motor sport in general. We are also developing another show to take advantage of his considerable talents and will announce the details closer to his start date.”

Seven’s Director of News told staff White had distinguished himself at Seven.

“I am sure you will all join with me in thanking Matt for his professionalism and dedication over the years, and wishing him and his family the very best for the future,” he said.

White said, “I’m very lucky to have worked alongside some of the best in the business over the last decade at Seven – from News to Sport and beyond, it’s been a lot of fun.

“I would like to thank the entire team at Seven – both on camera and behind the scenes – for allowing me to be a part of such tremendous success.

“It’s time to pursue other challenges – but I will always treasure the friendships I have made over the last 10 years at Seven.”

While TEN confirms White’s inclusion in its motorsports coverage, it will be interesting to see if his former news boss Peter Meakin also makes use of his skills on Wake Up and The Project.

He begins at TEN in July.

1. bobmar28 April 19, 2014 at 7:06 am -

Far from committing career suicide Mat White should be the anchor for the V8’s. Now all we need is Larco on board.

2. CraigW April 18, 2014 at 6:12 pm -

Was unbackable odds to move back once he was able to detach from TT and I’ve been saying that for a long time now. When Ch10 took the V8s back it was a lock in for mine. Sport is his forte but having ‘public affairs’ knowledge he’d fit well in at The Project. Will amp up the creds of RPM with Rusty too I would think. Rusty might cover the Moto series and Matt the off shore F1 coverage. Not sure Wake Up is his thing.

3. Den April 18, 2014 at 4:53 pm -

Is it just me, or are TEN trying to lure a lot of Seven staff

4. jimbo k April 18, 2014 at 4:49 pm -

Hope they reinstate sports tonight with matt white going back to ten

5. The Moops April 18, 2014 at 3:05 pm -

Not sure why he wants to commit career suicide by going to Ten.

6. once-upon-a-time April 18, 2014 at 2:57 pm -

I wonder if James just turned a paler shade of White?

7. Shoudy Chen April 18, 2014 at 2:21 pm -

Any word on Mel and Mark Howard?

8. Sunny April 18, 2014 at 2:09 pm -

@TasTVcameraman – Neil Crompton and Mark Skaife are not employees of Seven, they work for V8 Supercars TV, so automatically they will continue on TEN.
    @Shoudy Chen – “Hope he joins Ten’s V8 Supercars Commentary Team as well as Wake Up as a sports presenter.” That’s why he is going to TEN, because he wants to continue with his big love of V8 Supercars.

9. maxxdude April 18, 2014 at 1:06 pm -

@craigj77 I agree that Matt would make a great host on Wake Up.

10. catherine April 18, 2014 at 11:57 am -

It makes sense in a way. The V8s are Matts first love and he’d be rapt to be covering ti again, id assume he’d also be involved in the formula 1 Gp when its in melbourne and also the comm games.

He may also feature on the project and he is a very good tv host. I always hoped he’d replace Kochie on Sunrise when Kochie decided to retire.

11. William April 18, 2014 at 11:50 am -

@TasTVcameramen – I think Neil and Larko will join Ten.
    @Brekkie – Greg Rust will be a part of Ten’s Commonwealth Games but its a possibility that both could join the Commonwealth Games, F1 and Australian motoGP team.
    @brad80 – I like White but some people don’t like him at all as they think he is woeful.
    @KISSMAD – they do need a commentary team for V8s and he is a lot better then Berretta. I think neil will join the network for F1

12. deedeedragons April 18, 2014 at 11:25 am -

So he’s willing boarding the Titanic. Interesting.

13. DanR April 18, 2014 at 10:13 am -

Good move, Ten

14. Shoudy Chen April 18, 2014 at 9:22 am -

15. KISSMAD April 18, 2014 at 9:05 am -

Nooooooooooooooooooo….

TEN, don’t you want people to watch your V8 Supercars coverage!

At this point, I will only be watching if Neil Crompton is back.

16. Ruddeger April 18, 2014 at 9:04 am -

Let’s hope this means Aaron Noonan takes over the commentary on Seven for the rest of the year.Easily the best V8 commentator.

17. brad80 April 18, 2014 at 9:02 am -

Good move by 10, happy they have the V8’s seemed like greed when Seven got them.

18. oztvheritage April 18, 2014 at 8:39 am -

Matt was a long list of on camera presenter who have been at ten and moved onto bigger and better things. Bruce mc. Eddie mc Jana w. Mike Munro Matt White. Good to see him returning He was too good for the today tonight brand. Hopefully ten utilise his talents beyond v8’s.

19. Brekkie April 18, 2014 at 8:38 am -

If he begins in July I’m guessing he might be involved in the Commonwealth Games coverage.

20. TasTVcameraman April 18, 2014 at 7:56 am -

It will be interesting to see if Neil Crompton heads back also ?

21. craigj77 April 18, 2014 at 7:28 am -

Close the surf club door on your way out, James Mathieson!

22. Bullswool April 18, 2014 at 7:06 am -

Im tipping he’ll become the third co-host on Wake Up, or a sports presenter on Wake Up.