TV Lounge

2014-03-09_2159The TV Lounge is an Open Forum for you to add comments or ask questions on TV that you can’t see anywhere else on the site.

So if there’s something TV-related you’ve been meaning to get off your chest, or a TV question that doesn’t seem to fit anywhere else, here is where it goes!

If you have a question about the blog please use Contact page for a response.

And remember, Comments Policy.

1,082 Comments »

1. Neil Forbes January 1, 2014 at 11:45 pm -

Happy New Year David Knox and all readers/posters! Good to see a new episode of Jonathan Creek on ABC1 at 8.30pm tonight(1/1/2014 – gotta watch myself there and remember to type 2014 instead of 2013!) It was good to see Alan Davis in the show that made his name known to Aussie viewers, rather than that rubbish panel-game show, QI. Stephen Fry could certainly do a hell of a lot better too!

2. Pete January 1, 2014 at 11:28 pm -

@ Vinny

Sun, sex and suspicious parents ended its season. The other two ‘reality’ offerings that were paired with it, Magaluf Weekender and Catalina have been relegated to midnight from next Sunday to finish their runs.

Season 2 of Fresh Meat starts next Tues night on Eleven, over a year after being shown in UK.

3. Lyn January 1, 2014 at 2:09 pm -

Firstly: Happy New Year to David & everyone :)

Secondly:

What are ABC2 thinking taking off the repeats of “Spicks & Specks”?
    I loved watching it at 7pm every night
    (even though I’d seen them all before).
    Love that show!

4. BellJay January 1, 2014 at 1:11 pm -

I found the New Year celebrations last night terrible. Too much going on about nothing. Depressing ‘look back at the year’ at the final hour. Boring night. Nothing on tv worth watching at all. Same ol’.

5. SaxyBre84 January 1, 2014 at 12:05 pm -

Happy New Year David and to all who post and read this blog!

I would please like to know how it is possible that the ABC and SBS both own the rights to the movie Shine?

6. Regional Viewer January 1, 2014 at 10:02 am -

my view of ABCs broadcast of the NYE celebrations last night was very disappointing featuring a bunch of unknowns the chaser poking fun at nelson Mandela and describing 2013 in kind of a weird way

7. A. January 1, 2014 at 2:54 am -

@ max

I’m glad they are currently treating The Originals pretty good. I also like the ads they do in the ad break.

I’m surprised they didn’t pair The Originals and Revolution (one episode each ) when they moved Revolution to 9.30pm on GO! Plus put it on Wednesdays. Because that pairing would make more sense than having Revolution start after a reality show. Plus they could of had a voice over on Nine on the Tuesday announcing what they did before the film started. So viewers know what happened.

As a viewer if I can’t watch the first run I might watch an after midnight repeat. Sometimes that can lead to prime time viewing. It did with Fringe. I regret not bringing it up sooner.

8. harrypotter1994 January 1, 2014 at 2:51 am -

Didn’t think much of ABC’s NYE fireworks show – too much rabbiting on..Don’t know why it can’t be more of a concert type deal with the fireworks in between

9. deedeedragons December 31, 2013 at 9:34 pm -

Dear ABC,

Nobody wants this Spicks & Specks version 2.0 and your constant pimping of them on NYE is just making me dislike them even more. I do kind of feel bad for Ella Hooper though.

10. Vinny December 31, 2013 at 6:42 pm -

Has Sun Sex and Suspicious Parents and the shows similar to it now gone for good ? Underbelly has replaced it ??? on GO! – The name of the channel seems to reflect the programming.

11. Regional Viewer December 31, 2013 at 1:01 pm -

I want to take this opportunity to wish all the viewers on this site a very happy new year I have been on here since August this year and I find the comments very interesting about television in general I hope 2014 will bring some good entertainment and good feedback from the viewers

12. Mr_AJ December 31, 2013 at 11:31 am -

If there’s anyone watching it, Fringe is on at 12:20 tonight, due to a third ep of Revolution.
    @Max, I’m waiting for The Originals to go the way of every other show on GO! – that isn’t Big Bang.

13. Maev....Sydney December 31, 2013 at 4:03 am -

@ Lyn…agree…do not know what the heck 7TWO was doing with ETTC last night..I also am not happy…
    @Regional Viewer..and wasn’t the Tattoo great… :)

14. Regional Viewer December 30, 2013 at 8:09 pm -

something to watch on television tonight is the military tattoo on ABC

15. max December 30, 2013 at 7:01 pm -

The Originals is back Jan 22nd. I’m surprised Go hasn’t dumped it for movies.

16. Pertinax December 30, 2013 at 5:17 pm -

@D@GP
    Seven can’t put the Blacklist back on until after the Tennis finishes on the 26th of January.

The Blacklist resumes in the US on the 13th. With production breaks, and perhaps a couple of double episodes, Seven would have no trouble catching up on the 12 remaining episodes by the time the last ep airs in the US.

Ratings starts on the 9th of February. But even with Bones looking like it is moving to Thursday,
    Seven have The Blacklist, Downton Abbey, A Place To Call Home, Castle, Revenge and Scandal to fit in on Sunday and Monday nights in the first half of the year.

So Seven could start a couple of shows a week or even two at 8:30pm before ratings and Sochi start, and they get pushed by to 9 or 10pm by MKR.

Could be an interest time and the everyone, except Ten, will be keeping their plans under wraps.

17. Pertinax December 30, 2013 at 4:34 pm -

@TVLover25

Neighbours was rating about 600-700k on Ten when they dropped it. The Simpsons wasn’t doing much better. It has rated about what would have been expected.

At the time the networks still wanted 1m for anything in prime-time, these days Ten would kill for those figures.

18. Lyn December 30, 2013 at 4:26 pm -

Note to Ch 72:

Some of us still actually want to watch ETTC.
    Last night, was supposed to be 8:30pm.
    I gave up waiting at 8:55pm & watched dvds instead!

19. MuchoTB December 30, 2013 at 2:53 pm -

@tvlover25 David has old records of the ratings on this website if you search the ratings archives.

Neighbours used to get around 500k before it was moved to multichannel Eleven, where it is now getting around 350k ish while The Project usually scores around 500k on the main channel in the same timeslot

The Simpsons, no idea what that used to get

20. David Knox December 30, 2013 at 11:41 am -

Just a quick note to advise I have dropped a Programming post for The Wrong Mans, because I hadn’t noticed ABC had already pulled it. Apologies for any confusion.

21. tvlover25 December 30, 2013 at 9:43 am -

Does any one know what the Simpsons and neighbours got before they got moved to eleven. This was a while back and I’m interested to find out because the Simpsons isn’t doing as good as I would have thought, thanks.

22. glennc December 30, 2013 at 12:58 am -

Anyone know why Nine show Can’t Stop The Music every New Years Eve? Or am I imagining that it keeps happening?

23. MuchoTB December 30, 2013 at 12:26 am -

Boo @ Nein for not showing The Mentalist tonight. Season 6 is phenomenal with the reveal of who Red John is airing within the first eight episodes of the season. They just finished episode three last week and pulled it tonight for no reason for Mr and Mrs Smith. So much for offering premium content over summer…I wonder if Person of Interest will continue in its current slot or will also be shafted

24. David Knox December 29, 2013 at 11:52 pm -

No change to NCIS.

25. William December 29, 2013 at 10:51 pm -

@BellJay – what do you mean by that as in it got axed by Ten. I highly doubt a Ten will do that

26. BellJay December 29, 2013 at 7:40 pm -

I have heard a rumour that NCIS has been cancelled in Australia. Is this true David?

27. David Knox December 29, 2013 at 7:24 pm -

Craig: Don’t have a date but Parenthood will be soon.

Shoudy: My view on Extra is its ad rubbish.

RV: I have previously filed ABC is showing NYE fireworks.

28. Maev....Sydney December 29, 2013 at 6:48 pm -

D@GP…on 7 catchup…no eps…but says next episode Friday 3rd 10:40 pm…
    And thanks for the heads up about Caddie…

29. D@GP December 29, 2013 at 5:04 pm -

A word of praise for the ABC’s screening of a fest of Oz movies in the Night Owl time slots – around midnight – 1 am, up pops some movies that haven’t been seen for years: Summerfield, Dogs in Space, Bush Christmas (the remake with Bud and Nicole) and heaps more.

This week they’re screening Caddie with Helen Morse, Jack Thompson and Jacki Weaver, plus Fran with Nonie H.

Thanks Aunty.

Luvit.

30. D@GP December 29, 2013 at 4:57 pm -

Sadly, it looks like 7′s going to screen just 1 repeat ep per week of the Blacklist – doesn’t appear in this coming Sat night’s schedule.

I notice there’s a new ep of Blacklist scheduled for USA mid Jan. Let’s hope 7 gives the series the benefit of fast tracking when it resumes – absolutely respect Spader’s acting talents.

31. Dave December 29, 2013 at 4:06 pm -

Regional Viewer. According to the TV Giude channel 9 wont be covering the fireworks this year. The ABC and ABC24 will be. I’d much prefer to see them on ABC24 in HD and without Richard Wilkins.

32. Shoudy Chen December 29, 2013 at 1:12 pm -

When I watched the commercial break on Channel 9, I noticed that there was an ad on a digital channel Extra and Extra 2. When I looked on the Television Guide from my app, I noticed that the Extra and Extra2 channel put in the Perth TV Guide. David, do you have any views about the new channels Extra and Extra 2 in Perth?

33. tvjunkie01 December 29, 2013 at 11:23 am -

How many times a year does channel 9 screen the film, Mr and Mrs Smith? I see they have it again on tonight , and I am fairly certain it was recently on either it’s main channel or either Gem or Go also?

34. Regional Viewer December 29, 2013 at 11:19 am -

the new years eve fireworks which station is best to watch channel nine or the ABC I do remember the millennium fireworks NYE that I recorded (twenty four hours of it) that the ABC gave the best picture quality than channel nine so I have to wait and see who gives the best results

35. Craig December 29, 2013 at 8:37 am -

David is there any news on Parenthood on ch7 in the new year? NBC is about half way through the current season, 22 eps this time around.

36. Shoudy Chen December 28, 2013 at 9:38 pm -

I watched Ten Eyewitness News: Weekend and I noticed that the news bulletin ran for just 30 minutes for Perth viewers. It was unique why TEN Eyewitness News had 30 mins of weekend news due to the Big Bash League coverage.

37. Cassie December 28, 2013 at 8:21 pm -

@ D@GP. I totally confer with you about Hostages being drivel. I managed to suffer through the first 30 minutes of the first episode, before deciding that my intelligence was sufficiently insulted. What the hell were they thinking???

38. David Knox December 28, 2013 at 7:26 pm -

My view on watermarks is as previously filed: unobtrusive and transparent. Please use Doctor Who posts for Doctor Who discussion, thanks.

39. Dave December 28, 2013 at 7:19 pm -

I applaud ABC 24 on their Sydney to Hobart coverage on the finish to the race. Disgust at channel 7 for their lack of coverage. A couple of minutes here and there during their news bulletin. Apparently Astro Boy was way more important.If channel 7 are going to cover the start why didn’t they cover the finish?

40. Neil Forbes December 28, 2013 at 5:30 pm -

We haven’t yet heard from David Knox on the watermark subject. What’s your view, David?

41. Neil Forbes December 28, 2013 at 5:24 pm -

Okay. Everybody’s hade something to say on Doctor Who(the episode from Boxing Day). For myself I only watch the show to “fill in a gap” in an otherwise-dull TV schedule. During the holiday break I’ll watch NBN’s news, then the first half of SBS’s news, then ABC’s bulletin, then go flicking around the stations in the forlorn hope of finding something to watch. Usually I end up turning off the TV and coming back to my computer for some amusement. I have the first three series of “Most Haunted”(would’ve liked to get hold of the latter episodes but they’re “scarce as hen’s teeth” nowadays). They’re still entertaining even after several viewings.

42. Pertinax December 28, 2013 at 2:31 pm -

@A
    They have done some great SF episodes like The Girl In The Fireplace, Blink, The Silence in the Library/Forest of The Dead. They have done some fun time travel episodes like The Shakespeare Code, The Unicorn and The Wasp and The Unquiet Undead. And they have done some fun romps.

This Christmas episode just wasn’t one of them. We don’t care about Gallifrey anymore because Davies killed them off with few lines of dialogue to create the backstory for the show he wanted to do. We don’t care about the Town of Christmas because they are just props that fly past at great speed. And we don’t really care what happens because we know that Moffat is just writing away the 12 regeneration limit and all the other loose ends so they can reboot with a new doctor in 2014.

43. JJ December 28, 2013 at 12:41 pm -

@ Regional Viewer I would have to agree, I’m not a fan of the new Dr Who series that started in 2005, nothing beats the classic series and it is a well known fact that it’s the Tom Baker years in particular (1974-1981) that gave the series the cult status it enjoys to this day.

@ TasTVcameraman Rafferty’s Rules wasn’t actually a Crawford production but did kind of feel like one but was instead a Channel 7 production.

44. A. December 28, 2013 at 11:24 am -

@ Neil Forbes

I just want to warn you I enjoy the current era of Doctor Who as an enjoyable romp. Rather than anything deep or serious. Which the classic era was capable of doing. Quite often very well. It managed to be both entertaining and have more to it. This era when they try to have more to it. I find it hard to try to re-watch it. Because they don’t know how to get the balance right.

So listen to Pertinax and what he said if you aren’t prepared to check your brain at the door when watching it. Because the weakness of the current era is they love magical plus unearned endings and solutions. It does suffer from that. Otherwise it can be enjoyed as a piece of fluff.

45. Pertinax December 27, 2013 at 9:47 pm -

@Mr_AJ
    SBS bought Lost Girl as part of its relaunch of SBS2 as a 16-34 channel.The ratings are back to where they were before.

They are also selling sponsorship of Lost Girl to Ashley and Martin so I’m guessing they got more bald middle-aged men interested in the impressive engineering of Bo’s wonderbras than they were hoping for.

Endless repeats of S1 look more likely than S2 (just like ABC2 is doing with Friday Night Lights).

46. TasTVcameraman December 27, 2013 at 7:48 pm -

tjmc I agree but was Rafferty’s Rules a Crawford Production or a Channel 7 Show. I suppose I could put on a episode as I recorded the whole series a few years ago when they were repeated on Southern Cross down here in Tas.

47. Regional Viewer December 27, 2013 at 5:03 pm -

@ Neil Forbes December 26, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I’m not really a big fan of the current doctor who but I am with the old series from William hartnell to Peter Davison

48. Shoudy Chen December 27, 2013 at 4:07 pm -

Yesterday when I watched The Project, I heard Charlie Pickering saying for NSW, Victoria and South Australian viewers will proceed to the Big Bash league. The Project was delayed for WA and QLD viewers. I live in Perth and the Perth viewers had to see The Project following the conclusion of the Big Bash League.

49. Pertinax December 27, 2013 at 3:43 pm -

Moffat obviously spent most of his efforts on the anniversary special this year.

The Christmas episode wasn’t well written. It was stuck between trying to be the typical Christmas romp while dealing with serious stuff and the exit of a popular doctor. Moffat ended up just opening up the time rift and shovelling all the plot holes that have piled up into it.

Hopefully with all that out of the way, no Sherlock and a new Doctor they can concentrate on writing some good episodes for the next season.

50. Pertinax December 27, 2013 at 3:18 pm -

That Me Bank ad is using the melody from the theme from Les Revenants.

51. ryan December 27, 2013 at 2:57 pm -

Hey David, just thought I would let you know the site is back to normal now. I didn’t change anything it just is working now :)

52. Vinny December 27, 2013 at 10:50 am -

Just an issue with the site I noticed. On Mozilla the pictures on the main page load under the news articles and also when clicked on. 100 percent ok.

On the newest version of Internet Explorer they do not show on the main page and even when clicking on the story the photo will not show. Compatibility view makes the photo on the news story show but some of the top page is then out of alignment and blocks the words from being seen. The main page doesn’t show photos either using Compatibility view.

53. D@GP December 27, 2013 at 10:45 am -

@ msd – thanks for your input – We have 2 PVRs – both twin recorders – and we time shift everything we watch.

Both machines record CC and display same during playback when we hit the little “captions” button.

As we are both demographic dinosaurs we do rely on the captions when watching.

We’re nearly out of pre-recorded stuff (started on Hostages last night – ep 1 – lasted 10 mins and duly deleted the lot. What drivel.

The Paradise is a pleasant surprise – kind of a cross between Upstairs Downstairs/Downton Abby/Duchess of Duke Street/House of Elliott with a dash of Are You Being Served thrown into the mix!

Might start on Sleepy Hollow tonight but don’t think we’ll get hooked.

Happy New Year to you all…

54. A. December 27, 2013 at 1:13 am -

I saw an ad last night mentioning Neighbours returning January 6 in case anyone is interested and doesn’t know. Also there was one for Sleepy Hollow that’s going to appear on Eleven at 8.30pm on Monday. Good choice of timeslot. Not sure how many will see it though. Also the EPG says it is a double episode.

@ Neil Forbes

Spoilerish for the Christmas/Boxing Day episode for Doctor Who.
    The episode explained he was on his last “regeneration” already. Because they stupidly wasted one of them with the Tenth Doctor. Also there was the War Doctor (John Hurt ) . So Eleven was really on his 13th and “last” life. They explain this and how it got countermanded. I didn’t have a problem. I liked the episode and how it was done. I also loved Matt Smith in the role.

55. Maev....Sydney December 26, 2013 at 11:55 pm -

They use them OS as well….I watch NBC Today show…and it is just as annoying…

56. ryan December 26, 2013 at 10:09 pm -

Wow has anyone seen the new neighbours promo? Talk about an incredible promo of what’s to come! Best part is Rebecca Paul’s ex returns!

57. Neil Forbes December 26, 2013 at 10:03 pm -

What did everybody make of the newest ep. of Dr. Who aired tonight, Boxing Day, 2013 at 7.30pm? This is the episode that brings in Peter Capaldi as the new, and final Doctor(or so I believe) right at the end of the episode. I’m reserving my judgement until I’ve read a few of your comments.

58. Neil Forbes December 26, 2013 at 9:56 pm -

@Regional Viewer(26/12/13) and anyone else who has commented on the subject of “watermarking”, I’m in full agreement! There is absolutely no need for it, now or at any time in the past or future. Station ident. spots come up all too frequently during ad-breaks or other programme interruptions(let’s face it, that’s all ads really are – interruptions!) so we know already which station we’re tuned to. They don’t need to keep pestering us with those damned watermarks.

59. Regional Viewer December 26, 2013 at 6:55 pm -

@jshaw December 26, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I do recall back in 1991-92 Prime Television was the first station ever to use a watermark followed by WIN and Capital that was on the top right hand corner with small font now its on the bottom right with a larger font they are a distraction and should be removed

60. jshaw December 26, 2013 at 3:47 pm -

Why does TEN have it’s watermark & studio 10 logo enlarged on screen ???
    I hate watching studio 10 cause of this large watermark changing between ten / studio 10 every 20secs

The watermark logo is way too big

61. ryan December 26, 2013 at 3:01 pm -

Lol the Mkr contestants are so scripted it’s ridiculous!

62. JJ December 26, 2013 at 1:18 pm -

@ Jason you are so right about the Crawfords DVDs being so expensive, I would love to see things like Division 4 but at $60 per volume of 26 eps, it’s a mighty price tag to get the whole series on DVD. And I’m still waiting for what was probably their biggest show of all Cop Shop to be released on DVD.

With reality shows and rubbish dramas filling our screens these days, it’s like Crawfords are holding us to ransom as it is the only way to see these quality shows again. It would be good if Grundy’s also got in on the act and started releasing all of their productions, with only their biggest 2; Prisoner and Neighbours having had major DVD releases.

63. Shoudy Chen December 26, 2013 at 9:55 am -

Channel 9 welcome bill lawry

64. Mr_AJ December 25, 2013 at 5:27 pm -

Last night was the season 1 final of Lost Girl on SBS2, and it now appears to be gone.
    Hopefully it’ll return a some point in the future.

65. William December 25, 2013 at 12:09 pm -

@Craig – I am not annoyed at all as I am loving the cricket on Ten which is good to see by their ratings that has been contributed by the BBL. Which makes Ten come in second spot but not overall

66. Craig December 25, 2013 at 7:28 am -

Anyone else annoyed at TEN delaying The Project in QLD because of the Christmas specials and 20-20 cricket? It wasn’t on here until 11:30 last night…

That aside merry Christmas to all, and have a safe holidays, don’t end up on the evening news!

67. Maev....Sydney December 25, 2013 at 2:20 am -

@ Craig…You are a bit behind…Pertinax noted that Dec.14th post.

68. Craig December 24, 2013 at 8:42 pm -

Just noticed the Nine promo for the new US show Mom is spelled Mum. I know there is difference in spelling between AU and the US but really to change the name of the show why not just leave it as Mom?

69. Pete December 24, 2013 at 6:50 pm -

Just to ensure we are kept on our toes even during non ratings Nine have removed The Mentalist, Unforgettable and Weeds from Sunday schedule replaced with yet another repeat screening of Mr and Mrs Smith movie. Yawn!!!

70. Pete December 24, 2013 at 6:33 pm -

Season 4 of the US comedy series The League starts on One Friday week at 11.30.

71. msd December 24, 2013 at 1:34 pm -

D@GP – When you say “caught up” I assume you mean you recorded it? Some PVRs don’t support CC playback – ie. captions appear live but don’t appear in the recorded file. Or they do record the CC but only certain signals. A quick google of your recording device should show if it has this issue.

72. Pete December 24, 2013 at 1:28 pm -

Mark Monday Jan 6 in your diaries – the final four eps of The Big C are on Gem – Mondays at 11.30pm. Aired in US in March. Love this show.

73. Jason December 24, 2013 at 12:43 pm -

@ljmc – The Sullivans and Homicide are Crawford productions, owned by WIN, who is flogging them as expensive DVD box sets, together with Acropolis Now, Flying Doctors, All the Rivers Run, Carson’s Law, Division 4. WIN used to run these overnight but stopped now they’re selling the DVDs.

74. David Knox December 24, 2013 at 10:57 am -

If it was primetime it could be a breach if you pursued it through Nine then ACMA. May seem like a small matter to most of us, but subtitles are practically a ‘lifeline’ for the hearing impaired.

75. D@GP December 24, 2013 at 10:23 am -

Was it 9 (Sydney) or NBN (Newcastle) who didn’t push the subtitles button?

Caught up with Person of Interest (b’cast 12/12/13) and Mentalist (15/12/13) yesterday and discovered no subtitles for either show – but subtitles came through for the commercials OK.

Any idea what gives? And can they be fined?

76. msd December 23, 2013 at 7:11 pm -

No one seems to have mentioned this …The Miss Marple episode last night ( which may be the last ever) was shown here a week before the UK. I’m not complaining, it’s great to see something from overseas before anyone else has seen it. I’m surprised that the ABC was allowed to broadcast it before ITV, though. Unless they weren’t, in which case, whoops..

77. adrianguest December 23, 2013 at 4:39 pm -

Oops, that should read “Little Crackers” at 6:47 p.m.

78. TasTVcameraman December 23, 2013 at 4:27 pm -

Hi David,
    A Very Happy Christmas and a Joyous New Year to you and yours.

Great site!

79. adrianguest December 23, 2013 at 7:43 am -

“Christmas Crackers” is a UK comedy gem on ABC1 at 6:44 Mon-Thurs. before the news.

80. Chris N. December 23, 2013 at 1:14 am -

@Pertinax: That’s the one! I vaguely recalled the name “Nigel” but I wasn’t sure if that was just cos he reminded me of a male Nigella Lawson, haha. Thanks a lot! :D