Gone: Prison Break. Bumped: Heroes

By David Knox on October 31, 2008 / Filed Under Programming 75

Wentworth Miller’s Prison Break is the latest casualty of network programmers with Seven removing it from the schedule until summer. Earlier this month Nine did the same thing to Fringe.

The drama attracted 427,000 viewers last night, which was actually up from 389,000 the week before. Seven lost the night to the Nine Network.

But Seven has had problems with Heroes, netting a disappointing 624,000, dropping from The Amazing Race’s 902,000. It was beaten by RPA’s 1.02m and a repeat of Law & Order: SVU on 930,000.

Race was #1 in key demographics 16-39, 18-49 and 25-54. Heroes is also shaky in the US, down 20% on its season premiere and hitting an all-time low of 4.9 rating / 7 share.

Heroes moves back to 10:30pm from next Thursday November 6th, with Bones to move into 9:30pm with the episode “The Pain in the Heart.”

Plans for Scrubs to move to 10:30pm are now out, with it staying put at 11:30pm.

The under-performance of Prison Break‘s fourth season follows the fate of Ugly Betty’s third season, both hailed as network darlings in recent years only to be shafted to summer.

Seven advises Prison Break will return to a 10:30pm timeslot across summer, beginning in the week of November 23rd (final week of ratings).

Kindly link to this site when sourcing or posting in messageboards, thanks!

1. debbie March 4, 2009 at 4:23 am -

what the hell? I was wondering where prison break went……………it disappeared right at a cliffhanger. That blows!!!!!

2. David Knox January 11, 2009 at 12:28 am -

JC u do realise you’re on an Aussie site? It was removed from Aussie TV at the time of the post, but returned a few weeks later.

3. jc January 11, 2009 at 12:18 am -

what? is prison break gone for good??! I thought fox just put it on a hiatus? let me know plz!

4. Karen November 21, 2008 at 12:15 pm -

If Channel 7 stopped messing around with the timing of Prison Break then they may get better ratings – they can’t expect people to wait around all night for it to start only to find out it isn’t even on! You shouldn’t have to check the TV guide every week to check whether a series is on or not – it’s a series guys! I don’t recall seeing the latest season even being advertised. Way to go Channel 7 – you certainly know how to put people off watching a series………

5. linda November 13, 2008 at 10:48 pm -

please i love prison break don’t cut it
    thanksssssssss
    please make it early 830pm so i don’t record every time because is too lateeeeeee

6. Jim November 7, 2008 at 10:13 am -

Lost & Prison break are both tv shows that need consistency to keep their ratings but they get pushed from pillar to post.

I know that with commercial television we have to remember that the viewer is the product and that advertisers are the customers but if you don’t deliver the product by shifting the products favourite shows around you will lose the customers.

I make a point of not watching any new shows on Channel Ten because they axe them too regularly before they get a chance to establish or worse put the second season on at about 4 AM if at all. This means that eventually I won’t watch Channel Ten at all. Seven is starting to go the same way with me.

So back to my original point, both Prison break and lost should be moved back to their original 9:30 Wednesday and Thursday timeslots to avoid confusion and promoted better.

7. Grant November 7, 2008 at 7:58 am -

No wonder people get sick of TV. Firstly Nine booted Fringe, now Seven give Prison Break the nudge.
    Lets just turn off TV and make it all reality rubbish. Seven has been running Make Me ………………. etc all bloody year.
    Give us some proper programming

8. Amanda November 7, 2008 at 12:06 am -

Hi, I’m from New Zealand, and Australia are so delayed when it comes to playing tv shows!! Prison break is an awesome show and i can’t believe they’ve taken it off the screens.
    And what’s with this fast track bullsh*t??? Everything is said to be fast tracked from the US, but yet NZ are playing it waaaay before Australia? How does that work?????

Channel 7, if your going to take something off the screens, warn us beforehand!!
    Channel 10 did it with 90210. Not impressed!!!

Bring Back Prison Break!

9. Ant November 6, 2008 at 11:20 pm -

What th hell?!?!?
    Here I am waiting for Prison brek to start and cannot find it anywhere!!!
    No word, no notice, no Sorry about that…Just Tough luck sucker. Its gone deal with it.
    A bit rude by my book…..
    And what is with Scrubs being on so late? And they wonder why good shows get no ratings….

10. Juanita November 6, 2008 at 10:51 pm -

Prison Break is my absolute favourite show and I am really upset with the way the networks can chop and change their programming from week to week. At least it is back on again in a few weeks although the 10.30pm time slot sucks.

11. josh November 6, 2008 at 10:32 pm -

channel 7 i just want to fire Kerry Stokes (if possible) and tell her to stop change the fing times ever time you get used to watching a show u change the fing time and i miss it now i have to change my plans because u grrrrrrrrrrr/angry/hateu

12. josh November 6, 2008 at 10:25 pm -

hey is there a website to send in complaints to channel 7

13. josh November 6, 2008 at 10:23 pm -

Channel 7 needs 2 stop f*****g change the times it is pissing me off heroes 10:30 is bullshit

14. Ben November 6, 2008 at 9:24 pm -

Piss of channel 7!

You took off Las Vegas and now Prison Break and leave on balls up shows like supermodel!

Go play in traffic!

15. Wayne November 6, 2008 at 9:19 pm -

Channel 7 needs to get their act together re programming of shows. Swapping and changing times for shows doesn’t make a great deal of sense. People get used to watching thier favourite shows at a particulat time. The only reason I watch Channel 7 is for Prisonbreak, All Saints, and Dancing with the Stars. All other viewing they put on is crap Time slots or each show change erratically. Why can’t you be consistant . N o wonder the ratings are dropping the quality of shows currently showing is very poor. They even managed to stuff up their coverage of The Australian Open Tennis this year. Most people would rather see the best players in the world play no some lowly ranked Aussie playing on an outside court

16. kaz November 6, 2008 at 9:08 pm -

This really sux!!! I am sickof getting into a TV series like Lost and Prisonbreak only to find they get put on later timewise and then to get the chop halfway through.Channel 7 get your shit together!!!! You are starting to lose viewers because of this.

17. Hayden November 6, 2008 at 8:44 pm -

These networks suck! I’ve had it with all there rescheduling and cancelling of decent shows, and how the keep running shows over by 10 minutes so you can’t watch the other channel because you’ve missed the start of it. Thank god I have a set top box. Seven treats good shows like Lost, Prison Break and Arrested Development very poorly. Channel nine did the same with Fringe. Channel 10 annoys me with all their repeats that are supposedly new. Prison Break was just starting to get more interesting during this current season. Couldn’t they at least put it on the HD channel or something?

18. Alison Jeffrey November 6, 2008 at 9:44 am -

Prison Break Prison Break Prison Break Prison Break Prison Break Prison Break Prison Break Prison Break Prison Break Prison Break Prison Break Prison Break Prison Break Prison Break Prison Break Prison Break

19. Alison Jeffrey November 6, 2008 at 9:43 am -

I cant believe they have taken off Prison Break the series keeps getting better and better i would stay up til 10.30pm after moving it to this late spot Every thursday and now channel 7 take it off this is riduculos I will never get in to another show because they just go and take it off just like Fringe, Ugly Betty and 90210(channel 10) Channel 7 you suck!!!!!!!! Bring back Wentworth!!!!

20. Jellyman November 4, 2008 at 4:15 pm -

Damn….One less hour of watching tv

21. Benno November 4, 2008 at 12:02 pm -

Oh dear, they still haven’t learned to give more warning before chopping and changing shows. Wait a week if they must (but they shouldn’t change these shows around). How hard is it to do that?

22. David Knox November 4, 2008 at 12:18 am -

Pete, I know. Been keeping my eye on this. The change came thru late on Friday. Most guides get their changes via one source: Pagemasters, but I would have thought it be fixed by now.

Update: Seven’s own website now indicates Heroes at 10:30pm and Prison Break “returns very soon.”

But the Guide isn’t yet updated…

23. Katrina November 4, 2008 at 12:00 am -

After watching last week’s episode of Heroes, the time change doesn’t matter. We’ve given up. It’s jumped the shark for us.

24. Pete November 3, 2008 at 10:25 pm -

Weird thing is that Channel 7’s online guide still has Heroes at 9:30, followed by Scrubs and Prison Break at 11: http://au.tv.yahoo.com/tv-guide/?hour=21&min=30&date=06&mon=11&year=2008

25. David Knox November 2, 2008 at 11:26 pm -

It happens all the time these days, it isn’t the newspaper’s fault. Sites like this get quite a boost when this happens. You should have seen the comments flood in on the first Wednesday Fringe was gone……

26. Carta November 2, 2008 at 11:19 pm -

The TV Guide printed in Brisbane’s Sunday Mail still has the Scrubs move to 10:30pm (with PB at 11pm). I wonder if the guides published in other states have it wrong, too? Obviously 7 made the change too late for the guides to be changed….look forward to lots of confusion come Thursday!

27. Suz November 2, 2008 at 8:50 pm -
  28. Kyall November 2, 2008 at 4:42 pm -

Does this mean they will continue to show heroes through summer and not pull it off coz thats wat i was worried bout

29. Carta November 2, 2008 at 11:03 am -

It’s not a two-week break, as someone said earlier, it ends up being a four-week break between episodes by the time PB returns to the schedule (October 30 to November 27).

My sister-in-law, who has watched it religiously from Day 1 and has put up with Channel 7’s bizarre programming schedule, is fed up now and has asked me to download the episodes for her, since she wants to be able to watch it weekly rather than with a large break between the episodes. As she and others here have pointed out, if 7 advertised the show, it would get better ratings….!

30. ali November 1, 2008 at 9:59 pm -

By thursday night, people are tired from 4 days of work and dont want to stay up too late to watch a program and would rather sleep or tape it. Thats why noone is watching your witching hour schedule channel 7 – we all have to work too hard to earn our $$$$.

31. Jerome November 1, 2008 at 8:11 pm -

guys ch 7 didn’t push prisonbreak because it was rating poorly or anything it was simply because heroes had to go from 9:30 and pushing it till 10:30 causes the least confusion than any other timeslot in the week.

anyway its not that much of a drama summer is only 2 thursdays away.

32. leeds November 1, 2008 at 6:09 pm -

Out of the Question rates poorer than Prison Break and its still on, Looking and comparing Monday’s and Thursdays ratings, 13 shows got over 1 million on Monday and 6 shows over 1 million on Thursday. What was Prison Break suppose to do?? Hold onto all 622k viewers from Heroes, Geez, Channel 7 you’ve got problems!!

33. Fraggle November 1, 2008 at 5:24 pm -

Wow what a surprise – Prison Break doesnt rate as well in a 10.30pm time slot as it did at 8.30pm! Are the 7 programmers for real? How on Earth do they expect it to rate well at this ridiculous time slot. The disappointing thing is this season is on a par with the first so if they wouldnt have stuffed around with the show last year, it would have attracted viewers in a decent time slot. It would appear fast-tracking shows has been a disaster.

Oh well back to downloading we go.

34. barrett November 1, 2008 at 2:06 pm -

The only thing I want fast tracked is the Blu-Ray release of this seasons Heroes.

35. Andrew November 1, 2008 at 1:58 pm -

At least bones is back on thursdays
    i hated it being on mondays!

what will be on, 9.30 on mondays now?

36. Saga November 1, 2008 at 11:57 am -

This season of Prison Break has been really good. I’m really enjoying it. I’m sad others haven’t been watching it – it’s rather riveting television.

That said, at least there will be something to watch over summer, but seriously Channel 7, you could have let this one ride it out. The numbers might slowly build and there isn’t much ratings season left anyway.

37. Tim November 1, 2008 at 11:05 am -

Well at least there will be a good show on in summer now :)

It doesn’t bother me as I’m downloading both anyway, 7 dropped the ball by not telling us when it would be aired before it started in the states, and by waiting a few weeks.

I am sorry for those that watch it on 7 that now can’t though.

38. Craig November 1, 2008 at 8:54 am -

So much for fast tracking, I wonder if they will be left with a few eps unaired over the summer like last year, wrecking the flow of the series.

39. Matthew See November 1, 2008 at 4:17 am -

Now wait a minute, I have just realised this week’s episode of Prison Break ended on a cliffhanger.

Now I really not happy having to wait until Summer to see how this is resolved.

40. Matthew See November 1, 2008 at 4:01 am -

While it is a shame that Prison Break is pushed to Summer, the new schedule for Thursdays won’t affect me that much as I watch Bones, Heroes & Scrubs.

I just be having a little change of viewing dynamics beginning Thursday November 6.

41. Kiyoshi October 31, 2008 at 11:54 pm -

Heroes being pushed back to 10.30pm is a pity (especially since this season is much better than season 2), but at least they didn’t drop it completely like 9 dropped Fringe.
    I don’t see why they couldn’t have held off a few weeks, though- One more month and they’ll be pulling it off anyway for summer.

42. Tepee October 31, 2008 at 11:29 pm -

Well said, Cameron, when you observed “If only 7’s other shows could get 624,000 viewers then they would get what they really deserve.”

Nine was always a bit pompous when it was number 1 for all those years, but Seven has taken it to the max with a major fork up its arse – when all those trashy, stagnant factuals stop rating, and viewers realise the contempt in which it deals their shows that used to be rating well (such as Heroes and PB), I bet that fork will begin to sting.

43. Mac October 31, 2008 at 10:06 pm -

Heroes is getting GREAT – it’s quickly washing out the bad taste of Season 2.

44. Amir October 31, 2008 at 10:04 pm -

I completely agree with Ali.
    Sure, 600 000 aren’t enough viewers, but what about poor lead-ins.
    I admit, Heroes has lost a great amount of audience since the first season but what do Seven expect. It was off the air for 10 months. How is anyone meant to remember anything?
    Anyway, I think the problem is mainly with Make Me A Supermodel. It gets only about 900 000 viewers weekly. That’s not too bad, but it’s the 7:30pm timeslot. Every other night, Seven get pretty much over the 1 million mark for that timeslot. The Amazing Race was getting around 1.3 million an episode last year.
    I think Seven should have waited another three weeks with their current line-up. It’s not like they’ll lose anyway. Then when Make Me A Supermodel ends, bring The Amazing Race forward to 7:30pm. Bones at 8:30pm. Heroes at 9:30pm, and then even Prison Break at 10:30pm. That’s a great night of TV. And I’m pretty sure it would do better than it is at the moment.

45. apaz October 31, 2008 at 9:40 pm -

well if seven adertise mabey people will watch who runs chanell seven a d*******d

46. ali October 31, 2008 at 9:26 pm -

Im not suprised – PB has been on shaky ground for awhile. Heroes is on too late to gain an audience, 7 should leave it at 9.30, can Supermodel, and put Amazing race at 7.30 and Bones at 8.30.

47. knoxoverstreet October 31, 2008 at 9:26 pm -

Seven strike again.
    But i really counldn’t care as Heroes,PB etc are poor television. Bones on the other hand is a brilliant show so I’m happy with that! It’s easily the best drama on 7 by far and now we get two eps a week :)

48. Adam October 31, 2008 at 9:23 pm -

They are not destroying shows, they are destroying themselves……thank god for the internet age!

49. Ro October 31, 2008 at 9:23 pm -

This is precisely why I’ve given up on Free to Air TV. I knew shows like Fringe would never get a full season on free to air so I never bothered committing myself. The networks are shooting themselves in the foot. How do the channels expect audiences to pick up serialed storylines halfway through a chapter?

Sure networks aren’t a charity but they should treat their audiences and programming with a little respect.

Prison Break disappeared mid way season 3 and Seven snuck the finale episodes some time before this season. Similar things happened with season 2 of Heroes – who is going to wait or even the time to check when a channel will decide to screen a show? I don’t know how anyone could have followed Lost on Seven’s watch. Things just disappear and are never mentioned again.

It’s better to wait for the DVDs or channel bittorrent and watch them as they were intended to be followed.

At least we might get some good summer programming! Maybe one day we’ll be able to bypass the local networks and watch feeds from their source. What will our networks do then?

50. Bryce Roney October 31, 2008 at 9:04 pm -

What programming genius decided that a show would get more viewers? The only reason I don’t often watch Heroes is that I normally fall asleep before it’s on.

51. Nick October 31, 2008 at 9:03 pm -

what a shame, ahh well guess we could all expect it eventually. don’t think we’ll be seeing much more of the other shows too next year, like lost, greys, housewives etc. expect a lot of shifting. i think these serial dramas will go the same way as people download em or dont hav time to keep up with the storyline

52. Andrew October 31, 2008 at 9:01 pm -

I also want to add that I don’t ever watch RPA but I did last night about the the guy with the skin cancer because it got me in with all the ads promoting will the guy die?

I’m sure alot of people tuned into it for the same reason and switched over.. Just because Heroes does bad this week they bump it? which means Prison Break is gone.. they have no friggin clue!

53. Andrew October 31, 2008 at 8:39 pm -

What do they expect for a show on at 10:30pm? morons…

54. Tony October 31, 2008 at 8:16 pm -

Seven haven’t had a good year with their US series, their winning streak is mainly Aussie productions.

55. seanie October 31, 2008 at 7:44 pm -

S***t!!!! The move of Heroes to 10.30 was expected, serialed shows barely get an audience anymore, and sci fi serialed shows have no chance in the current climate of factuals, procedurals and 2.5 Men!

Why cant Prison Break continue with another 10.30 slot though, it went up this week and would probably do better than that Alan Sugar crap on Wednesdays. Not to mention 7 still persisting with Out of the Question, which rated even worse than PB this week.

On the other hand wooo, at getting fast tracked episodes of Bones.

56. stevie g October 31, 2008 at 7:38 pm -

If Prison Breaks figures grew from last week and heroes dropped, why didn’t they leave PB and bump Heroes to summer? Heroes has become a real dogs breakfast. I thought PB was going to be on at 11.00 due to the tv tonight article earlier in the week.

57. David Knox October 31, 2008 at 7:08 pm -

S4 of Bones “Yanks in the UK” begins Mon Nov 10. Seven will divide the 2hr prem into 2 parts Nov 10 / 13.

58. Craig October 31, 2008 at 7:06 pm -

Going by the ep title they are planning a new ep Monday then Thursday is the season 3 final.

David are they going on to S4 and moving Bones to Thursday nights?

If so this is a stupid move IMO.

59. tommyk October 31, 2008 at 6:56 pm -

@ amir

yes its a sad truth but you can’t expect ch7 to keep such low rating shows in a prime time slot. they are a business and if upsetting 600,000 means pleasing 1,100,000 i guess it is a good business decision. atleast they don’t ax or push to summer the way ch9 do, pushing to 10:30 is actually the better and of the stick.

@ Nathan
    “The same show’s can’t be winning forever.”
    thats the cycle of tv all shows gradually decrease in numbers (few exceptions) and then get axed, bumped, cut or canned. It doesn’t mean the show is getting any worse, its just what happens. then they are replaced by newer shows and the cycle continues.

i think most people on this site have seen this coming for a while. only i thought it would be replaced with knight rider, and if it happened by yesterday KR would still be on in october like 7 said. bones will probably rate better though.

60. jimbo October 31, 2008 at 6:56 pm -

aaaaaagh f u free to air television, first my fave show Fringe is pulled…..now its my second fave Prison Break. What ive i gotta do to watch these things the whole way through without interruption? spend my whole time downloading on my pc? no thanks.

61. ryan October 31, 2008 at 6:36 pm -

was this really nesescary? there is only a few weeks of ratings to go, and heroes still does very well in 16-39 they should of just left it on at 9:30 continuing it over sumer then next year move it to 10:30

62. Cameron October 31, 2008 at 6:31 pm -

Not good for fans of these shows. It is strange that complete rubbish like Today Tonight can outrate these shows but then again those viewers were watching Law & Order SVU or RPA.

63. George October 31, 2008 at 6:08 pm -

Damn Seven!!!

Im addicted to Heroes and now they push it back.

Lets be honest, they have hardly given it or Betty a decent push and for a betty a rock solid timeslot.

They are destroying the shows!

64. Chloe October 31, 2008 at 5:55 pm -

In response to

# Nathan on October 31st, 2008 5:32 pm

The same show’s can’t be winning forever. Could Seven’s dominance be coming to an end?

I think so!!!!

65. Daniel October 31, 2008 at 5:48 pm -

Stargate freaking Atlantis please.

66. Nathan October 31, 2008 at 5:32 pm -

67. bindi October 31, 2008 at 5:26 pm -

ye gawds! at least they have given us a definate return date and timeslot which is like the first time ever, lucky summer is not that far off, with all the shows that have been pushed back to summer it is gonna be the best summer ever, stacked with heaps of awesome shows. but i doubt they will even be able to fit them all in so half of the promises they made will be broken.

if bones is moving to thursdays are these new episodes? and if so will it still be on mondays too? with only 2 episodes left of season 3 i guess this means we will go straight into season 4 and have it paused mid-season yet again during summer?

68. Amir October 31, 2008 at 5:24 pm -

Whaaaaat! That’s the third favourite show of mine that’s been shafted to the 10:30pm timeslot by Seven. First Lost, then Prison Break now Heroes!
    I blame this on Make Me a Supermodel.
    At least their putting in a good show to replace it’s timeslot. I love Bones.

69. Craig October 31, 2008 at 5:22 pm -

So when they use up all the PB eps over the summer are we not likely to see the next lot of new eps until the following summer?

I wonder is they guys who were on Sunrise promoting Heroes will find out it’s been pushed back?

70. ella October 31, 2008 at 5:22 pm -

this season of prisonbreak has been better than season 3.

However i think that i can wait 3 weeks for it to come on at 10:30 instead of now at 11:00.

i’m glad ch7 didn’t just push it to 11:30

71. Dave October 31, 2008 at 5:18 pm -

So where does that leave Heroes next year?

72. Benno October 31, 2008 at 5:17 pm -

Channel 7 thinking: “Gee, I wonder what will happen if we hold off the rest of the 2007-2008 season for months on end, and then when the new season finally arrives, delay these highly anticipated shows for weeks or months on end, make them never start on time, and see what happens to the ratings. Can’t hurt them…..”

73. Jake October 31, 2008 at 5:14 pm -

Well, the networks might be slow with announcing their official Summer line-ups, but based on all the shows they’ve taken off this year it won’t be hard to guess what’s going to be on!

74. brad clarke October 31, 2008 at 5:11 pm -

First Ugly Betty, now Prison break – my 2 favorite shows…..7 – you suck!

75. danness October 31, 2008 at 5:08 pm -

You think I’d be upset with Seven about this, but this season of Heroes has been pretty damn terrible, I don’t think I really care about them moving it.