Auditions: Masterchef

By David Knox on December 9, 2008 / Filed Under News 39

Channel TEN is on the lookout for candidates for its new reality series, MasterChef.

The British format will to be adapted by FremantleMedia is searching for chefs “from the diva of dinner parties to the hero of home-cooking.” TEN is hoping the series, to follow The Biggest Loser, will replace the hole left by Big Brother.

Information and application forms are available at masterchef.com.au

Entrants must be over 18 years old whose main source of income cannot come from preparing and cooking fresh food in a professional environment.

Entries close January 9th.

Press Release:
Time to throw your Chef’s hat in the ring.

In 2009 we are about to see who can take the heat…and who had better get out of the kitchen!
The search is on to find Australia’s first true MasterChef. Network Ten and FremantleMedia Australia want every kitchen wannabe, from amateur chefs to budding foodies, to toss their chef’s hat in the ring to ultimately become Australia’s next super Chef.

A real life drama will play out during this enthralling new series as the contestant’s kitchen courage is put to the ultimate test. From highs to lows, our cast of characters will be catapulted from starters to mains then desserts and back again.

If you’ve ever dreamed of becoming the country’s greatest chef but life has taken you in a different direction now is the time to reach out and grab on to this opportunity. If your cooking talents are yet to be discovered, from the diva of dinner parties to the hero of home-cooking, this show is for you.

MasterChef Australia is a new reality format for 2009 based on the hit UK series of the same name.

The key guidelines for applicants are that they must be 18 or over as of Feb 9, 2009 and your main source of income cannot come from preparing and cooking fresh food in a professional environment (restaurant, hotels, canteens etc).

We want budding chefs from all walks of life. A love of food and food preparation will be the common denominator with all contestants. This series will turn the reality genre on its head, making cooking the hot sexy topic of 2009.

If you are interested in being a part of this exciting new series then head to our website for more information and applications.

www.masterchef.com.au

Applications close on January 9, 2009. So put aside some time this festive season, throw your hat in the ring and set the food industry on fire in 2009.

1. David Knox August 22, 2009 at 10:31 am -

The season finished. Check date of story.

When TEN announce new auditions I will post a story.

2. Johnny k August 22, 2009 at 9:45 am -

HI Guys my name is Kat….
    My bother Johnny is the best chef ever!! he has been a chef for approx 26 years and has run some of the best restaurants in Melbourne.He recently won the best of the best pizza challenge in victoria and is off to compete in NSW in september.
    He has cooked for a number of celebrities such as Bon Jovi…on so so on!
    He was totally born to cook….he can literally turn an empty fridge in to a 3 course meal!!! His funny prefessional grumpy and cheeky at the same time..he will no doubt be a super star on TV!! He continuously praised for his delicious meals and his sofisticated meal appearance.He is passionate for what he does and only settles for the best. please let me know how he can audition i promise u will love him…..

3. Dee May 13, 2009 at 10:37 am -

I would like to know the casting for this show is done. There are so many contestants in their twenties, is that what its about? I sent in an application and didnt get call to an audition. I love to cook “foods of the world” and I dont think this serious is diverse or serious enought!

4. kerrie April 17, 2009 at 4:21 pm -

my daughter entered me when it was first advertised..heard nothing back..ill still watch tho..love to cook and experiment and please

5. Mandy February 11, 2009 at 6:01 pm -

I am a serious foodie and I’m not a loudmouth or bimbo, but did make it to day 2 of auditions in Perth. However it was terribly organised and they changed the rules throughout the day and I only ended up getting about 45 mins to do my dish, whilst another person had an hour and a half as they weren’t keeping track of anyone. The 2 people I did see go through to Sydney, weren’t loudmouths at all and one of them was very talented and I was glad to see him get through.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and will definitely try again next year as I felt I was so close!

6. Des February 10, 2009 at 8:21 pm -

I made it to then auditions and just like pillu above said above – it was an absolute joke! Cooking was not the priority but loudmouths and bimbos were a must!

Don’t waste your time serious foodies!

7. Em February 5, 2009 at 4:50 pm -

Has anyone had an audition in Melb – I am still hoping I get a call……..

8. Flipstylz February 2, 2009 at 2:34 pm -

Hey Shane, congratulations!!!

What did you do for your cold dish and then what did you produce as your hot dish the next day??

so your through to Sydney??

Cheers

9. JJ February 1, 2009 at 5:43 pm -

so what were the conditions of making it through to the auditions? it would be great if this information could be shared to all the applicants.

10. Marc from Bris January 31, 2009 at 6:11 pm -

My girlfriend has an audition tomorrow in Bris and she is hopeing that it is no about the drama and mre about the skills of the people who love food.

I pray she gets in but I know she wont want to be a part of a reality series tha dramatises something she is passionate about…food and the love of preparing culinary delights…lets hope Channel 10 doesnt let her down!

11. Pillu January 29, 2009 at 8:36 am -

I did go to the adudition in Sydney, by the way if that wasn’t obvious!! One guy in my grup had the best meal I think I’ve ever tasted and everyone agreed – but he didn’t get throuygh because he was a normal really nice guy. So stupid.

12. Pillu January 29, 2009 at 8:35 am -

In typical Australian reality tv style, the auditions were all about the sob stories and the d*head morons – one pretty girl didn’t even fully make her own dish, and admitted it, but still got through!??! It’ll be a bunch of whinging morons like biggest loser, not focussing on good cooking but on the drama side of things – thanks a lot again casting morons!

13. Lesley January 22, 2009 at 7:34 pm -

Let’s hope they don’t bastardize this program…love the original UK format, hope it stays as close to this as possible.

14. juli January 19, 2009 at 11:15 am -

hi I would like to know if I got a place for the auditions
    I live close to adelaide sa please let me know asap

15. Shane January 17, 2009 at 3:09 pm -

Oh yeah! ..most of all…I hope to gain some invaluable critisism, and advise

16. Shane January 17, 2009 at 3:06 pm -

Cheers david…I will.

17. Shane January 17, 2009 at 3:05 pm -

Did u or your mother get an invite lilly??(“whether we have to pay air fees etc”)..If so I wish you and every1 else the best of luck…I was told I would recieve an e-mail with all the details, sometime over the next few days, and I got the invite by phone y’day(16/01)… so I too am very curious about Location and what it will cost, …If any1 has any answers please inform!!! otherwise I will post what I know when I get the Email…..I know what it is like to have a skill that you enjoy so much, and yet can’t get the chance to use it to its full potential….I have entered simply due to the fact that I am so sick of my trade and would love to cook for a living. I have no money to start my own kitchen, and I dont want to try and throw myself into cooking because most places around here either present mediocre menu’s, or are too stylised for me to dive into or enjoy!….My ultimate dream is to have my own kitchen!…Even if it is built into a caravan or truck..I dont care, I just need a commercial kitchen..who knows…maybe Australia has room for a traveling restaurant…I would love to travel to lil outback towns and give locals a fine dinning experiance that is unique…I dont know why? but this is my dream…it prob. cant even be done…But Im gunna try! Im young and full off passion! and I like to be different!

18. David Knox January 17, 2009 at 2:58 pm -

Keep us posted on the experience (even if under another name!).

19. Shane January 17, 2009 at 2:45 pm -

I have been invited to auditions in Brissy..Im very excited at the oppurtunity, however I dont think it is going to be as simple as just being a good cook!
    I am thinking that there is a lot of other factors in play here, such as Improv with on the spot pressure, and short time intivals… there will be quite a few dishes that will simply not be possible due to time! even in my home kitchen, I need preperation! Time is a major factor! even Luck will play a big part, as lots of things can go very wrong, even for the most carefull. also, a good grip on temps and other scientific factors in cooking will have to be flawless….I also am very aware of the pressure felt by chefs in busy resaurants…MY mum is a great cook also, however she would never be able to make plates fast and consistantly, nor do I feel she would have the phyisical and mental stanima needed. This to me say’s that the winner will have to have a whole range of abilities(speed,flavor,inventiveness,controlled emotions, luck and much more) not to mention that Channel Ten is notorious for twists and changes to formats, that I would not be suprised if they incorporate some 1900 voting scheme, or will put all the contestants in the one house with 1 kitchen when not cooking! They may not…but I would not be suprised…..I look forward to the callenge and if I am accepted, I hope to do my very best….but I aint going to build myself up or bignote my abilities…because this could get very tricky!!!!

20. Brenda January 11, 2009 at 2:02 pm -

I have only got round to applying for the show to discover it is closed, just my luck, good luck to others that made the deadline.

21. Lilly January 6, 2009 at 7:05 pm -

i want my mum to go on this show because she’s such a great cook, and she’s not sure about it tho…like does anyone know what state this is held in, and whether we have to pay air fees etc…? She would give the show such great ratings with her wit and her taste for fine food.

22. magda benkp January 5, 2009 at 5:36 pm -

the most experiencet home chef with many years of
    practise and fedning the mass over many yeas public
    cooking in church group have a talent to cook for any
    fusys eater
    pleasce regard i am a veruy unusual cook dervesity what you looking for

with many
    regardas
    magda

23. David Knox December 28, 2008 at 11:31 pm -
  24. Jacqueline Bellette December 28, 2008 at 11:26 pm -

could you please send me an application form as i have been trying to get on to your web site with no success thank you

25. Leah M December 28, 2008 at 2:59 pm -

I think Its a great idea, I love to cook Its my Passion!! Ive always got complements for all my meals, they always say its resturant quality. Ive got all my hints and tips from cooking shows so yet again, “I think Its great.”

26. Zoe Williamson December 20, 2008 at 12:02 pm -

i wish that you can be a young chef just waiting to been sawn i am 17 yrs old i live in murwillumbah N.S.W i am a really good cook i love my cooking no mater what it is, i tryed my cooking expercise in a resteront in kingscliff when i was 16 i am quick with my skills.

27. Chris Souvlis December 19, 2008 at 8:46 am -

My boss Chris (is a Dentist) is a wonderful cook. It is his passion and I would love to see him get the chance to be on TV and show everyone what he can do. Please put him on your show. thanks

28. LEANNE December 15, 2008 at 10:56 pm -

bacon and eggs australia here we come i will cook you up a storm and you can eat it cant wait

29. don quici December 15, 2008 at 6:50 pm -

i want to apply as well but ended up on this page, and as we all can see there isnt an application form per se, but maybe thats part of their criteria… who knows ? i say `let me give `em my chilli mussels` and g/bread! for starters of course…

30. Kirsty December 15, 2008 at 3:59 pm -
  31. stevie December 14, 2008 at 10:26 pm -

Could you please send me an application form for masterchef or make it easier to find the application on the site i think this would be an awesome oppertunity!

32. Linda December 14, 2008 at 8:36 pm -

I would like to through my hat in the ring but when I click on the address it is telling me it is no longer available.

33. Jeff December 13, 2008 at 11:40 am -

Why don’t you give this Aussie version a real twist and use real Chefs as mentors/coaches on the actual set to get those creative juices flowing from the contestants. I am a real chef and would love to give my help and experience.

34. carolyn hraichie December 11, 2008 at 10:19 pm -

u dont need gordan to turn up the heat in the kitchen. carolyn is here . i can cook, i make something out of nothing, and i guarantee u i will turn up ur ratings too.

35. LOL December 10, 2008 at 5:29 pm -

Only TEN can hope to make cooking sexy.

36. Christine December 10, 2008 at 2:55 am -

I don’t think so. Seriously.

37. Johnno December 10, 2008 at 12:51 am -

I cannot wait :) I love the UK series of Master Chef Goes Large.. .Now all Channel 10 need to do is bring Gordon Downunder for a special Mini Series of Hells Kitchen Australia.. I reckon it would rate the pants off the other networks.

38. seriously December 9, 2008 at 5:21 pm -

Hope this doesn’t rate well… and they bring BB back.

Of course i will watch the premiere of this show… but i hope its bad. BB was the best thing that hit free to air tv in Oz.

39. Zambora December 9, 2008 at 7:31 am -

Any word on the hosts as that was one of the highlights of UK show ?
    Please tell me it is not Peter Everitt or Jackie O or Andrew G