Bold ‘experiment’ ending

By David Knox on January 7, 2009 / Filed Under Programming 45

January 19th marks something of a departure from summer viewing for Channel TEN.

As widely speculated, The Bold and the Beautiful will return to the 4:30pm timeslot. It will be replaced by Simpsons repeats.

When TEN moved B&B to 6pm it said it was an experiment. But the experiment seems to have under-performed. On Monday it managed 467,000 viewers, well behind Nine News with 1.4m and Seven News on 1.2m viewers.

No doubt there will be soapie fans happy the show is returning to its old timeslot, but other viewers who equally enjoyed the new timeslot.

Meanwhile, Neighbours will also return its 2009 season at 6:30pm.

From January 19 the schedule is

3:00pm Judge Judy
3:30pm Huey’s Cooking Adventures
4:00pm It’s Me or the Dog
4:30pm The Bold and the Beautiful
5:00pm TEN News at Five
6:00pm The Simpsons
6:30pm Neighbours
7:00pm Friends

1. franz chong August 14, 2011 at 10:58 pm -

Move it to Noon.So the Dr Phil Viewers lose their show and while I may no longer be a kid or a teenager I would much prefer something educational and family friendly before the news between 4 and 5pm than some trashy soap.This would have the most stupid thing done by 10 ever since the Echo Point Days of 1995-96 That didn’t last long and they subsequently went back to the Simpsons and before putting the axe on EP moved the latter to 11:30pm before falling off the face of the earth come 1997.

2. get rid off heuy s cooking April 28, 2009 at 3:22 pm -

get rid off heuys cooking what a boring person

3. franz chong April 19, 2009 at 9:31 pm -

4:30pm prior to 1996 was the best.One could get home from school and find something educational on.I do remember watching wonderworld as an eight year old at my aunties house whenever we used to go there in the mid eighties.fast forward a decade or more and what do they do cost cut the childrens programming and put on a totally unappropriate soap opera as a news lead in.

4. franz chong February 25, 2009 at 12:48 am -

They could have put on those unseen Taken Out Episodes over the summer looking back on it now.As Mediocre as the critics said that show was It provided those of us who were getting sick to death of Simpsons Repeats something new and refreshing.

5. franz chong January 24, 2009 at 4:04 pm -

That is what they use to do Pre 1996 over at Channel 10.An Hour of Childrens Viewing between 4 and 5pm and by law they should go back to that.If they can’t provide something suitable for the kids why not show some of the older comedies that have not been seen in Years

6. lameboyadvance January 13, 2009 at 6:08 pm -

Good riddance. Back to afternoon viewing where you belong.
    …And as much as I love The Simpsons, yes, I do get sick of the same 50 or so episodes being aired, how about mixing it up and showing the other few hundred instead?

…And ‘It’s Me or the Dog’? What happened to Scope? I like (kids) science shows…

7. Tepee January 9, 2009 at 6:35 pm -

Aww, no more Everbody Loves Raymond repeats at 3pm. Oh well. Classic laughs have had a good run this summer with The Nanny at 11:30am on Nine, ELR on Ten, and Home Improvement at 5:30 on Seven. Plus Friends at 7:00 (but I watch Temptation so I’m missing out on that).

8. B & B fan January 9, 2009 at 1:40 pm -

How about the old original 1 pm timeslot for Bold? I’m tired of all the censoring Channel 10 does.

9. Mick January 8, 2009 at 9:40 pm -

Will they still have Bold and the Beautiful on Ten HD at 5:00 like they did last year?? It was always 4:30 on Ten SD and 5:00 on Ten HD…

10. Andrew B January 8, 2009 at 5:08 pm -

Agree with 5.30 news. I used to watch 10 news at 5.30 on 10HD.

Put B&B on at 3 or 3.30, kids shows 4-5, Simpsons at 5, news at 5.30, Make a regular 6pm sports tonight on every day at 6pm, Neighbours at 6.30, then Biggest Looser, or similar at 7pm. No more sitcom repeats. Foxtel has a channel just for that – 111 hits.

Agree – they should make a big deal out of Simpsons and play them all in order from 1st episode to 400 – and/or – do what FOX8 do – have a vote for the best eps and count them down in order – say top 20 over 4 weeks in July or November.

11. Chris January 8, 2009 at 1:16 pm -

Woo! It’s about damn time! The Simpsons is a Ten staple. Never get rid of it. :D

12. Gerrard January 8, 2009 at 12:22 pm -

Actually I enjoy Judge Judy. I personally find that Byrd guy (the “guard” person) to be funny – he’s so serious.

I don’t think ‘It’s Me Or The Dog” will be on during the school year. They probably just put it on cause it’s school holidays. Once school starts, they might bring it back.

However, Channel Nine are the best when it comes to children’s shows. They have Hi-5 (even though there are only two people left), The Shak, New MacDonald’s Farm, Humphrey, Kids’ WB, Kingdom of Paramithi, Sleepover Club, Lockie Leonard, Sharky’s Friends, and this year they’ll be getting The Saddle Club. Channel Nine have also had a history of great kids shows including Y?, Download, and [Hot] Source. I personally don’t think any other network can compete with Nine’s 4:00pm The Shak. It appeals to all kids as each presenter has their own genre (eg sport, science, environment and fashion).

Saying that, channel ten will probably bring back Totally Wild when Term 1 begins for primary school kids!

13. RichoTB January 8, 2009 at 1:35 am -

Hahaha thats hilarious Freddy. One of the best comments I’ve seen on this site, that evaluation of Ten’s afternoon lineup is spot on. I agree that many of those shows need a nuclear bomb. Although I must admit I enjoy the odd Judge Judy ep once a month or so, its one of the trashiest TV shows but its annoyingly entertaining

14. JohnP January 7, 2009 at 11:31 pm -

I remember when there was at least an hour of kids/family viewing after school. Now on Ten the kids can choose from Huey’s Cooking Adventures, It’s Me or the Dog and/or The Bold and the Beautiful. No wonder they are glued to console games or on the Internet instead…

15. freddy January 7, 2009 at 10:38 pm -

3:00pm Judge Judy – Arrogant, opinionated person who should be sent to pasture
    3:30pm Huey’s Cooking Adventures – Overweight boring cook, should be teaching healthy cooking
    4:00pm It’s Me or the Dog – Take the Dog anytime, boring
    4:30pm The Bold and the Beautiful – The Big and the Boring, needs a nuclear bomb
    5:00pm TEN News at Five – This I can watch
    6:00pm The Simpsons – Enough of the repeats, retire him
    6:30pm Neighbours – Arrggghhhh, pathetic acting with pathetic boring scripts, also needs a nuclear bomb
    7:00pm Friends – Ok the first few times, but enough is enough

16. Justin January 7, 2009 at 10:13 pm -

@Earthquake

Ten are now showing “C rated” Totally Wild at 7:30am weekdays instead..

Wonder what will replace Its me or the dog when they run out of epsiodes though…

17. ali January 7, 2009 at 10:11 pm -

No more Friends!!!

BB 5.00
    Ten news at 5.30
    Neighbours 6.30
    Simpsons 7.00

I dont get home till after 5pm and wont tune into the sport part of the news on 10. If it began at 5.30 though, I would watch.

18. Kuttsywood January 7, 2009 at 9:43 pm -

That can only happen once ONE launches mind you…

19. Kuttsywood January 7, 2009 at 9:41 pm -

Or can they? Ten has so much expertise at producing bulletins without sport, mainly on weekends, that they could transfer all their sports news to a 6pm localised Sports Tonight, thus allowing the bulletin to move to 5:30. What would 7 do if Deal was beaten by the likes of Walden, Doniekien and Woods/Wilson doing hard news…

20. Earthquake January 7, 2009 at 9:07 pm -

What happened to the children’s programming at 4pm? I thought by law that Ten had to show children’s programming at that time?

21. Charlotte M. January 7, 2009 at 8:42 pm -

Guys I don’t think Ten can move the news from 5pm because it goes for an hour. There’s half an hour of news and half an hour of Sports Tonight. They’re not going to sacrifice one for the other. With Ten’s interest in sport including them developing that 24 hour sports channel Sports Tonight is probably never going to get cut.

I don’t see any problem with them moving Bold back to 4.30 and putting Simpsons back on – it’s exactly what i thought they would do come ratings season. And as for the Simpsons eps being repeated ad naseum, there’s a big deal of traditionalism among diehard Simpsons fans. The earlier eps are said to be better quality than the newer ones so they get repeated more often.

22. nick January 7, 2009 at 7:19 pm -

ten should start from season 1 simpsons a 6pm and just play them all out in order. Start promoting it as vintage or classic siimpsons,

23. Paull January 7, 2009 at 7:16 pm -

Well i guess i’d better make the most of futurama for the next 2 weeks.

24. Andrew January 7, 2009 at 6:42 pm -

biggest loser would be only for around 12 weeks. with no big brother, ten would have nothing decent after april if masterchef fails at 7pm.

25. Sillygostly January 7, 2009 at 5:36 pm -

I don’t mind Simpsons repeats, but as Gerrard has mentioned, there are some episodes that are repeated ad nauseum.

Ten has access to over 420 episodes of The Simpsons. They have absolutely no excuses for airing the same episode more than once a year.

Plus, I think TV classification standards need to be relaxed so that PG rated programming can air from 6pm onwards on a weekday. They can air PG rated content at virtually any time on weekends… what gives? :/

26. Markus January 7, 2009 at 4:47 pm -

Now if only they got rid of Friends and Neighbours it would be even better.

Keep Futurama on after the Simpsons and the world will become peaceful again

27. Matthew See January 7, 2009 at 4:34 pm -

Somehow I am not surprised by this as it did not think that 6pm slot was going to be a long-term for the show.

28. Goonies January 7, 2009 at 3:53 pm -

Is Huey’s Cooking just permanently on air forever and ever!? It ‘seriously’ spoils my afternoon whenever I have a day off!!

29. Gerrard January 7, 2009 at 3:42 pm -

Why wouldn’t they try Everybody Loves Raymond at 6:00pm? Surely that would do a lot better instead of Simpsons repeats (repeats repeats repeats…). I mean seriously, how many times can you possibly watch the episode where Homer ploughs driveways during the snow? I saw that episode at least 7 times last year on TEN! Plus most older people would rather watch Raymond than the news.

Everbody Loves Raymond at 6:00pm. Seriously!

30. Alex January 7, 2009 at 2:22 pm -

Gosh, maybe TEN should just switch off from 6pm to 7:30pm, they just cannot get it right. It would save them a lot of money and work.

I think they need to realize that The Office would be a perfect program to put on at some point during that period of time.

31. Marco January 7, 2009 at 2:18 pm -

Andrew, Biggest Loser will be on at 7pm before we know it, and it’s bye-bye to Friends.

32. Bogues January 7, 2009 at 2:15 pm -

If ten continue to compare any 6pm show to the 2.6 million viewers that the two news shows (7 and 9) get, then no show will last more than a week. Unfortunately 7 and nine have that hour pretty much sewn up, so ten should be happy with what they get.

If it was me, I’d have ten news at 6pm. Coming from NZ (where both major channels have hour long builteins at 6pm following by current affairs at 7pm), this would be good.

33. Andrew January 7, 2009 at 1:20 pm -

why is friends still on at 7pm? are ten content with placing 4th in timeslot with 600k viewers? they really need to try something different because when masterchef fails, they need to have something solid to fall back on.

34. Craig January 7, 2009 at 12:41 pm -

It would be a cool day in hell before ch10 move the News from 5pm!

35. JB January 7, 2009 at 12:36 pm -

Ten News at 5:30pm. If I were boss of TEN this is the first move I’d make.
    It just makes sense. I’m sure there are plenty of people in the same boat as me, who would want to watch Ten News, but are stuck in traffic at that time. As a result, people don’t even bother switching to Ten when they get home. Think about it, if at 5:30pm, people would get into the habit of arriving home and turning on the news. They would then leave it on Ten while they go about fixing dinner, having a shower, surfing the net, etc. They could easily add 100K to their early evening line-up.

36. Glenn Petrie January 7, 2009 at 12:11 pm -

Soapies such as B&B don’t really belong in prime time, so I am glad that they changed it back to 16:30.

What I don’t agree with is “It’s Me or the Dog” being shown 30 minutes earlier, and I am sure that Ten can do better. Anyone remember a show called “Judge Joe Brown” that was shown on Ten years ago?

37. Ryan January 7, 2009 at 10:47 am -

Christ they still haven’t learnt have they?

The Schedule should look more like;

5.00 – Bold and Beautiful
    5.30 – TEN News
    6.30 – Neighbours
    7.00 – Friends

News would get a good leadin to Neighbours which would hopefully flow on to its 7pm slot and later into the night – no harm in trying right?

I also think Simpsons would be a better alternative to Friends at 7pm. Bloody TEN, you will always be in the doldrums. I just don’t understand what they would loose by trying the news from 5.30-6.30 it makes perfect sense to me and is their best bet to keep the audience at 6pm, those watching the NEWS from 5.30 would more than likely be less inclined to switch over to SEVEN & NINE at 6pm rather than watching SIMPSONS, would hopefully pick up some older viewers too.

38. Sillygostly January 7, 2009 at 10:44 am -

This was to be expected. Well, at least they tried, though a timeslot where they could play the episodes uncensored would have been preferrable.

39. Leon January 7, 2009 at 10:43 am -

I agree, Ch10 did try a ballsy move.. It didn’t work however it gave other Channel’s something to think about..

40. Jason January 7, 2009 at 9:56 am -

Now all Ten need to do is promote it. ie: Episodic Promos for each night – pumped right throughout daytime and primetime, not some generic 2 second commercial in the last ad break of the 5pm news.

If they promote individual episodes viewers might be like “ah I haven’t seen that one yet” or “I haven’t seen that one in ages – I’m gonna watch” spend a bit of money – make some ep specific promos and nurse the 6pm ratings back to health.

41. Benno January 7, 2009 at 9:38 am -

I get that they needed a change, but putting bold and the beautiful in prime-time was just dumb. Anyone could have predicted that the move would be a failure.

42. John January 7, 2009 at 8:19 am -

Congratulations channel Ten I’m a viewer again.

The Simpsons belong at 6:00pm and the Bold thing was just foolishness.

43. pietro January 7, 2009 at 7:22 am -

Some uncommon common-sense.

44. itsross January 7, 2009 at 6:37 am -

FFS 10, apart from “It’s Me or The Dog”, so could have told me that was the 1998 line-up and I wouldn’t have known any better. Get some new shows on!

45. Zambora January 7, 2009 at 6:35 am -

At least Ten tried something different for a change.
    Although if Ten’s demo is the text gen, B & B hardly fits there.
    maybe there could do text comp and ask kids what’s up ?