3.74m viewers power MasterChef finale

By David Knox on July 20, 2009 / Filed Under News 60

mcfMasterChef Australia‘s finale took an enormous 3,745,000 viewers last night.

The huge figure was for the last half hour of the show, titled MasterChef Australia: The Winner Announced.

For its first 90 minutes, MasterChef Australia: The Finale, it took 3.31m. The show peaked at 4.11m.

The figure blitzed its previous high, set last Thursday, of 2.36m and rocketed past the previous high for a non-sporting event since OzTAM ratings started in 2001, Australian Idol‘s 2004 finale with 3.35m.

It is now the third highest show since 2001.

TEN’s share for the night was a staggering 41.3%.

Julie Goodwin was awarded the inaugural title in the hit TEN series. A celebrity edition will launch in October.

1. Russell July 21, 2009 at 10:35 am -

The way ratings info is given out is so misleading. 3.7 million for Masterchef. That’s just how many watched in 5 TV markets, that make up only about 65% of Australians that have access to all 5 networks.
    NZ, US, UK and Canada all give national ratings numbers, we are the only country that still issues ratings for markets that make up just over half the nation.
    Box Office and magazine sales are are national, as are ARIA charts and website tracking. It seems so backwards that when it comes to TV ratings we ignore 35% of all Australians!

I know this has traditionally been the ay things are done, as in the 5 largest markets the TV stations are by and large owned & operated by the networks. And regional stations have different owners. By that is no longer really the case anymore with Nine owning the Newcastle affiliate NBN and WIn Corp owning the Perth & Adelaide affil. It should not matter what the stations local branding is. The fact is 97% of Aussies get the five networks now, and OZTAM and RegionalTAM should start generating ratings in a national format.

I always estimated that to get a national number you multiply by about 1.5. So, by that measure – Masterchef Finale got about 5.2 million viewers.

2. alan July 20, 2009 at 10:39 pm -

I hope Jackie Woodburne or Kym Valentine will also star in the Celebrity Mastermind in October.

3. PORKchop July 20, 2009 at 7:12 pm -

darryn, unless your house has been equipt with the technlogy from OzTam to record what your watching, then none of your 6 tv sets contributed to last nights figure, I think ther eis a sample audience of 700 home sin melbourne that are connected to the survey, and then the figures are extrapolated from that

4. TD July 20, 2009 at 7:05 pm -

Why don’t you report that 3.7 million is only the five capital cities – many more hundreds of thousands would have been watching in regional areas?

5. Victor July 20, 2009 at 6:18 pm -

See, I too would be questioning the ratings, if it wasn’t for the show doing gangbusters for the week prior. Even without official data a fair few people were speculating that this is the number of viewers the finale would get. I can’t see why there’s this suspicion.

It’s kind of a moot point arguing about whether two televisions in the same house were counted. All viewer ratings are done using the same methodology, so if there is some inconsistency, then it’s present in all ratings scores.

Plus I don’t know about you guys, but here in Perth, the talk about Masterchef was deafening. Just based on the word of mouth the ratings seem valid.

6. koverstreet July 20, 2009 at 5:09 pm -

@ hoople I agree ..but then I question the ratings system whenever ch7 gets any viewers at all :) :)!! At least any viewers under 80 :)

And didn’t see that peak before..4.11m!!!

7. Mac July 20, 2009 at 4:46 pm -

Well done 10 – this is the first of your reality shows I’ve gone past the first episode on and you did a brilliant job from beginning to end…

…even though Chris wuz robbed!!!!

8. Darryn July 20, 2009 at 4:45 pm -

Thanks fj, it was something ive wondered about and kudos for working out what i was asking.
    Craig: anti-social? How about diverse and not robot like in our viewing habits? Its all in the perception.

9. Faiky July 20, 2009 at 4:41 pm -

absolutely amazing! what a great show it was. will miss it!

10. Tim July 20, 2009 at 4:08 pm -

As Homer J says, “facts? you can prove anything with facts”.
    When CH9 was ‘Still the One’, society scared me.

Well done CH10 and MasterChef.

11. FJ July 20, 2009 at 4:04 pm -

Darryn I just asked a friend who has a ratinfs box and they said every TV in the house had a box so it seems all would be counted.

12. CrAig July 20, 2009 at 3:58 pm -

@ hoople. You’re totally right. The reason people are questioning it, is cos it was on TEN.

and @Darryn. Your household seems very anti-social

13. George July 20, 2009 at 3:29 pm -

@FJ:

Close enough. :p Still proves my point that a lot of people watched.

14. hoople July 20, 2009 at 3:29 pm -

haha i love that a good result for ten makes people question the ratings system.
    i think everyone is dubious about sample sizes, but we have one of the biggest samples in the world compared with our population. it’s really quite robust.
    if you saw that all the talk on the radio stations, in the papers and even on other networks was all about Masterchef… its not so surprising that a lot of people turned in for 30 minutes to watch who won?

15. jakevin July 20, 2009 at 3:21 pm -

wow. that is fantastic to see! well done!

16. Darryn July 20, 2009 at 3:11 pm -

I have a rough idea how the oztam sample works & it would seem it isnt foolproof. I doubt that 1 in 3 watched it also, but it is the system in use. My question is this. Most homes have more then one tv. Are all tvs mönitored in the sample group?. In my home last night 1 of 6 watched mc. That was on the main tv. The other 5 watched other programs on the 2 other sets. So mc would of lost the night in my home. 3 of those 5 would definatelly would not have logged off (too lazy). So that would mean 4 of 6 would of been counted as watching mc when in fact only one did.? Ok, if u can understand what i am saying feel free 2 comment

17. CrAig July 20, 2009 at 2:46 pm -

@ FJ…. The cricket? The Ashes? Don’t know what the fuss is about when 20.7million aren’t interested in watching :P

18. FJ July 20, 2009 at 2:28 pm -

George the Oztam metro numbers add up to 14.5 million, not 13.

19. Billy C July 20, 2009 at 2:26 pm -

While it’s obviously a fantastic result it’s interesting what it implies about the ratings system. I’ve always been massively dubious about the figures but this is one of the few shows recently that people are talking about and obviously watching. The idea however that one in every three people in Metropolitan Melbourne is watching this show strikes me as ridiculous. I have know doubt it massively won the night but I’m skeptical about the numbers.

20. David Knox July 20, 2009 at 2:23 pm -

Ryan, would that be along with those who said TV Tonight shouldn’t ‘spoil’ the winner?

Now that we have clearly seen other media run with big event news at the same time, this is me over here in the corner resting my case.

21. John July 20, 2009 at 2:22 pm -

Hi Ryan

…..for those people who come on here to ” boast how they didnt watch masterchef” well just goes to show you are the outcast aussies!!!

there’s some comment on news sites saying that the reuslt was rigged and that the ratings figure is also rigged !!!!!!!!

22. George July 20, 2009 at 2:19 pm -

@Ellie:

All glory be to the MasterChef!

23. Ellie July 20, 2009 at 2:13 pm -

I just read everyone of the comments so far…. perhaps Jesus wont be returning at all… Perhaps Master Chef is the Messiah?

24. Darryn July 20, 2009 at 2:12 pm -

Johnson you cannot compare a peak against an average.

25. FJ July 20, 2009 at 2:03 pm -

Sorry Craig but I was watching the cricket. Shows about cooking have never interested me. And I am not close to 50 or 10.

26. RYAN July 20, 2009 at 2:03 pm -

27. George July 20, 2009 at 1:58 pm -

@FJ:
    OzTAM only measure ratings in Sydney, Melbounre, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth. So 3.74 out of 13 million people watched which was amazing.

1,003,000 in Sydney which means 1 in every 4 people watched.
    1,285,000 in Melbourne (woo what I predicted) which means 1 in every 3 people watched.
    620,000 in Brisbane which means 1 in every 3 people watched.
    385,000 in Adelaide which means 1 in every 3 people watched.
    453,000 in Perth which means 1 in every 3 people watched.

So 3.74 is a huge figure for the 5 major cities. And don’t forget that there’s going to be a lot of people who watch it online, then there’s the people who recorded it, and the ones who were out and missed it (I was out and missed the first hour :( ).

If reigonal areas get included I think we’ll see the figure will be around 4.5 to 5 million.

28. Johnson July 20, 2009 at 1:54 pm -

4.11 million peak audience is huge and would have put the program ahead of the 2005 Australian Open tennis final between Lleyton Hewitt and Marat Safin (average 4.05 million). The Melbourne audience for Winner Announced (1.285 million = 1 in 3 Melburnians watching) was slightly lower than the audience for last year’s AFL Grand Final (1.289 million) but higher than the GF in 2005, 2006 and 2007. It’s also higher than the local audience for past four Melbourne Cup horse races.

29. John July 20, 2009 at 1:41 pm -

I didnt watch it either

I was out at real restaurant – McDonalds !
    That Ronald McDonald is the real masterchief

30. CrAig July 20, 2009 at 1:28 pm -

@FJ…. Clearly no single show is ever going to get the viewership of every single Australian.
    But 4million is an unbelievable achievement, especially when it includes the population of the five main Capital cities only….
    But yes, you’re amongst the ‘majority’ of people who didn’t watch M-Chef. keeping company with old age pensioners, children under 10, and people who in regional areas who don’t get Ch10 transmitted. Enjoy life under the rock.

31. Darryn July 20, 2009 at 1:11 pm -

Someöne ön this site asked me the other day why i did not watch this show, well catfan explained it perfectly. I will miss the show though as some of the posts it gleamed from a few of you gave a great insight into your physche. Now thats what i call a “reality show”. Definately no offence intended or meant either.

32. ka-ching July 20, 2009 at 1:06 pm -

A brilliant effort. Great family viewing too, which is long overdue really. I liked the blend of culinary and reality. I liked the mix of personalities – contestants, jugdes and mentor chefs. We looked forward to it every night – and to screen a show 6 nights per week is a mammoth task.

Apart from it’s impact on the entertainment industry, it also helped Ruddy stimulate the economy. I will admit that while the series aired I have bought a new knife block set, fry pans, crepe pans, stick blender and casserole dish – as well as the more containers to freeze stuff in.

I have also read reports that it has increased the patronage of restaurants and the art of home cookery by adults and children.

So, while we can all criticise aspects of the show, I think credit where credit is due.

It is certainly the beginning of a new era in Australian TV.

33. Kylie July 20, 2009 at 1:03 pm -

I just pray that they don’t milk the concept with all the talk of Celebrity versions and kids versions – it will loose the gloss by the time the ‘real’ version comes back next year!

Why can’t they just be happy with its success and leave it to rest now until 2010??

34. David Knox July 20, 2009 at 12:49 pm -

Before 2001 is a different measure / methodology , hence the post 2001 reporting.

35. Julie July 20, 2009 at 12:48 pm -

Well I was one of the 50.9% that managed to miss this. In fact I never watched a single episode.

It would be interesting to see where it came in the list of all time ratings winners and not just the period since 2001.

36. FJ July 20, 2009 at 12:34 pm -

I guess I’m like the majority of Australians and didn’t watch it. Why the fuss when 17 million didn’t watch it?

37. CatFan July 20, 2009 at 12:18 pm -

I haven’t watched this series but put it on last night to see what all the fuss is about. To be honest I really wanted to like it but I found myself getting bored quickly and switched onto other shows and then left the TV to do other things. The thing that really gripes me about all these ‘elimination reality’ shows is the whole cliched dramatic music, long pauses, extreme close-ups and all so serious hosts who you would think were about to announce an execution. I’m sure the contestants were very natural people and the food subject somewhat interesting but all the cliches about turn me right off this whole genre of TV.

38. RYAN July 20, 2009 at 12:13 pm -

masterchefs finale peaked at 4.11m !!!!

39. George July 20, 2009 at 11:35 am -

Wow! I had said a couple of times that I thought 3-4 million people watchef MasterChef during the week and the finale would be all of them coming together.
    Maybe I was right in thinking that. :D

40. David Knox July 20, 2009 at 11:23 am -

Figure is an average (for the final 30 mins) based purely on OzTAM homes in 5 city metro.

41. doug July 20, 2009 at 11:18 am -

The OzTAM ratings do not include Regional viewers, hospital patients , clubs etc so the numbers would be higher ?

42. Birddoggy July 20, 2009 at 11:14 am -

Meh… It’s not like it got 5 million.

43. David Knox July 20, 2009 at 11:00 am -

Jason it would have been the accumulation of viewers from across the final weeks of the series, plus many hangers-on wondering what all the fuss is about. ‘Flummoxed’ was a good chocie of words though!

44. Casey July 20, 2009 at 10:57 am -

Ten had better have the first 2 seasons of the UK version of Masterchef ready to air back to back at 7pm. It’ll come in very handy, when their 7PM show inevitably gets cancelled due to poor ratings.

45. Jason July 20, 2009 at 10:52 am -

I’m flummoxed that potentially up to 1.38m extra viewers tuned in just to see who won. (The shows previous high was 2.36 but got 3.74 last night). Why would you care who won a show you haven’t regularly been watching??? Was the competition on TV last night so awful?

46. mikeys July 20, 2009 at 10:49 am -

woah, big numbers… reckon they’ll bring it back next year?

47. Troy July 20, 2009 at 10:38 am -

Who could have predicted that this show would be so popular when it was launched? This TV business is a crazy business. Well done 10!

48. mac July 20, 2009 at 10:37 am -

wow, im sure ten nor anyone though masterchef would pay of so well for ten

49. MIke K July 20, 2009 at 10:34 am -

To NWest below, I totally agree with you. That amount of 100K was set though before Ten had any idea how rediculously successfuly it would be. Watch for the prize money to jump next year!!

50. Nwest July 20, 2009 at 10:11 am -

What a great result for TEN…the $100,000 first prize now seems way too low for such a huge money spinner of a show.

51. Jezza of the city July 20, 2009 at 10:05 am -

The really great thing about Masterchef is that it is a fairly decent show, informative and treated its viewers with some intelligence, unlike the utter crap that was Big Brother. It also stuck to its timeslot and was not booted about the schedule on a whim.

A few lessons to be learnt for the retards who seem determined to destroy ch9

52. jaxmachine July 20, 2009 at 10:04 am -

all i can say is wow!!

53. RYAN July 20, 2009 at 9:59 am -

wow, ten would be over the moon! absolutely amazing figures!!! and we all know the second and 3rd season of reality usually grows in ratings! so big things to come for masterchef! glee wasnt as good as i thought and those numbers show just how good it is.

54. David Knox July 20, 2009 at 9:59 am -

1 Tennis: Aus Open final – Hewitt v Safin 2005 (7) 4.04 million
    2 Rugby World Cup final 2003 (7) 4.01 million
    3 Masterchef Finale: The Winner Announced (10) 3.74m
    4 Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony 2006 (9) 3.56m
    5 AFL Grand Final 2005 (10) 3.39m
    6 Australian Idol Final Verdict 2004 (10) 3.35m

55. Jed July 20, 2009 at 9:54 am -

That’s incredible. I thought this show would fail, but when the series got going i realised i liked it. Now i love this show. Great numbers and well deserved.

56. koverstreet July 20, 2009 at 9:53 am -

Geez louise that’s huge!!

I was thinking 2.5m but would never have predicted 3.74m!

TEN are the hitmakers.

57. angelsgal July 20, 2009 at 9:48 am -

Well done Ten. Who would of thought this would be such a mega hit. i have to admit i was a doubter when this was announced an thought, at least we’ll have BB back in 2010. How wrong were so many people, not only is this possibly the biggest series to ever air on Aussie TV, it has brought new viewers back to TV.

David what are the top 2 rated shows ever since 2001, i assume its an AFL Grand Final. Maybe 2005/06 Sydney V west Cost epics

58. BM-dog July 20, 2009 at 9:43 am -

Is that the metro figure or the metro + regional figure? Very impressive either way.

59. steven guy July 20, 2009 at 9:40 am -

Amazing but not surprising. Congrats 10 !

60. CrAig July 20, 2009 at 9:40 am -

Amazing! And well deserved!!

David, what are the two shows that rated higher?