Auditions: Strictly Speaking

By David Knox on July 13, 2009 / Filed Under News 17

microphoneThe ABC has announced a new show built around public speaking: Strictly Speaking.

The half hour format, produced by Southern Star Entertainment, is currently looking for 27 Australians from all walks of life willing to face one of their greatest fears – public speaking.

Amanda Duthie, ABC Head of Arts and Entertainment, said: “If you have ever wanted to release the secret speaker that lurks inside you, this is your chance. Strictly Speaking aims to bring all the fun of dancing or cooking or singing to public speaking. So come to an audition and show us what you’re made of.”

Rory Callaghan, Managing Director, Southern Star Entertainment, said: “Strictly Speaking is a dynamic new entertainment format that’ll literally get everyone talking. Southern Star is delighted to be in partnership once again with ABC TV.”

Applicants need to be 16 years or older and a confident speaker. Australia-wide auditions will be held in August. The audition sounds tough: No umms, no ahhs!

Application forms are available at www.abc.net.au/strictlyspeaking.

Closing date for applicants is Friday 6th of August 2009.

Related »

1. Ross Turetsky August 19, 2009 at 10:33 am -

wonder when they’re going to announce the results. Has anyone heard anything so far? It should be pretty soon as i think filming will be starting

2. BC August 13, 2009 at 5:13 pm -

Had my audition in Sydney today. Agree with Kamilla that the environment was quite daunting inside. For me it was inside ABC Studio 21 in Ultimo. They seemed to like my prepared speech. They gave me 2x 1 minute impromptu topics, which went okay, but the nature of impromtu speaking is that you always think of better things you could have said afterwards! Took less than 10 minutes, then I was on my way!

3. Sarah August 10, 2009 at 10:43 pm -

Could be interesting – apparently they are looking for judges at the moment and rumour has it one of them might be a World Champion of Public Speaking. Scary!!

4. Anthony Spark August 5, 2009 at 9:44 am -

I think I’m a confident speaker, but I’m always a little anxious, particularly at the beginning. What a great opportunity to help viewers realise they can overcome what is considered one of our “greatest fears'”. It will be similar to the “biggest loser” showing overweight people they can lose weight or “dancing with the stars” showing those of us with two left feetthat they can learn a few steps. Well done to the abc

5. Kamilla Zwolak August 5, 2009 at 8:15 am -

I auditioned on Monday. It was a fantastic experience. It was under very unfamiliar conditions with a darkened room, cameras, mike and a few people behind two tables- yet they put me at ease and when it was Show Time- I took a big breath and went for it! I think they liked the mini speech. The impromptu topic was okay and I think it went fairly well- except for my ending- but that’s what it’s all about- thinking under pressure and delivering something with sense,structure and style. I don’t know how I was assessed, but I was glad to have had that amazing experience and opportunity. I encourage you to have a go!
    If you think you can talk- this is the show !

6. Dave Burrell July 31, 2009 at 4:52 pm -

I have an audition in Sydney!!!

So excited and already working on my speech!

7. David Knox July 24, 2009 at 11:49 am -

If you want to audition for the show, contact ABC.

8. James Booth July 24, 2009 at 11:37 am -

I am a ‘ natural’ when it comes to Public Speaking. I do not use notes as I have an excelent memory. I supprised my own family when I gave a speach at my daughter’s wedding recently.
    Yours Sincerely,
    James Booth.

9. John Schuhmacher July 24, 2009 at 11:23 am -

I feel that this cold be another sleeper. Good luck to you.

10. Annette July 24, 2009 at 11:06 am -

I think this is a great idea. I believe I am a confident speaker in my work place and in a club I belong to but the thought of speaking on television in a contest absolutely terrifies me. I have put my application in and I hope to get an audition because I think this would have to be my biggest challenge ever.

11. Kuttsywood July 14, 2009 at 12:36 am -

Because, the ABC caught on to the TV dancing craze early.

Remember Strictly Dancing a few years back?

If Strictly Speaking succeeds, we may have “Speaking with the Stars”, “So You Think You Can Speak” and lots of imitators…

12. Sarnia July 13, 2009 at 8:00 pm -

“in this TV reality competition, contestants tackle what for most people is their greatest fear: public speaking.”

I think the idea is that because most people find public speaking scary, they are looking for people that can do the whole public speaking thing. Not the other way around…

13. Danny Wu July 13, 2009 at 7:12 pm -

Great idea! Please put it on Wed at 9:00pm after spicks and specks!

14. mikeys July 13, 2009 at 5:48 pm -

Why do the applicants have to be strong speakers – isn’t that the whole point of the show?

15. Rob July 13, 2009 at 5:21 pm -

“Strictly Speaking aims to bring all the fun of dancing or cooking or singing to public speaking.”

I’m ready to be convinced!

16. bushie July 13, 2009 at 5:01 pm -

If this show is going to be such a big hit why isnt it on a commercial channel where the real money is ????

17. VMan July 13, 2009 at 2:41 pm -

what the hell? They want applicants to be confident speakers, yet they also want them to be afraid of speaking….is that the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard of what?