Gone: Trouble in Paradise

By David Knox on July 10, 2009 / Filed Under Programming 42

trouble-in-paradiseNine has yanked its new travel story series off air after just three episodes.

Across its three weeks the show managed 1.16m / 1.09m and 871,000 viewers. Its lead in from Getaway last night was 1.21m.

Last night Nine lost its all-important Thursday night to Seven. But all the networks took a hit with SBS screening the Ashes series and managing a 14% share.

The Footy Show plummeted to 785,000, most of which went to the AFL edition. The NRL version slumped to an appalling 138,000 in Sydney. It continues to be immune from any axe because of Nine’s NRL branding and it is known to be a favourite of David Gyngell’s.

Trouble in Paradise wasn’t a poorly produced show, so Nine probably picked the wrong format or should never have slated it after Getaway. It replaces it with new eps of 20 to 1, now set to air twice a week.

1. Kelvin September 11, 2009 at 6:58 am -

Well, I’m Actor, I performanced in Trouble in Paradise and the only thing that I can to say you is that was a really beautiful esperience, I not watch it yet, maybe soon (because the sign of nine channel not come to Peru) , but the time of work wirh the production team and the actor’s team was important, I don’t know what about another show of nine channel, but it was the best for me.

Thank you my friends, I remember the time together

Arequipa – Perú

2. JEN August 20, 2009 at 8:42 pm -

the one good show channel nine put on and they take it off a few weeks later
    Bring back Trouble in Paradise!!!
    20 to 1 sucks

3. william alexopoulos August 12, 2009 at 9:51 pm -

great show bring it back,but not after getaway(stupid) best show nine has produced for years

4. jake July 23, 2009 at 8:00 pm -

trouble in paradise was a good as show. if nine dont want to show it, they should sell it to 10 or 7. so stupid.

5. Peter July 19, 2009 at 7:57 pm -

Is there any way we can still watch the episodes online somewhere?

6. adam July 18, 2009 at 12:55 pm -

20 to 1 is a really boring show,bring back trouble in paradise,as that was a real life and interesting show,the whole family looked forward to watching it every thursday,now it looks like we may as well go to bed early.

7. franz chong July 17, 2009 at 2:37 pm -

I only ever watched the first series as I worked the next two weeks after that so wasn’t home to see Trouble in Paradise.

On the plus side though Greys over at Channel Seven has finished for the year so finally I have something to watch when I get home Double Take and TV Burp that isn’t a heavy medical drama I can’t stand.

How was TIP going to survive against Greys anyway?

8. Bakpas July 17, 2009 at 12:19 pm -

I can’t believe nine has axed this show-hopeless! I like Bert but haven’t you learned nine? Overkill it was the same with Gordon Ramsey, they take a good thing and then bombard you with it. Shame on you 9!

9. Sparky July 17, 2009 at 9:20 am -

Booooooo! Hisssssss! Bring back trouble in paradise!!!

Who cares about a bunch of minor celebrities commenting on crap we’ve all seen before a million times in slow motion, replayed and from different camera angles on 20 to 1????

Trouble in paradise was 100 times better than that dribble!

10. brooke July 16, 2009 at 10:44 pm -

bring it back!!!

11. Kate July 16, 2009 at 9:25 pm -

The show was fantastic. It was interesting and eye opening. Is there any way to get the remaining episodes?

12. jess July 16, 2009 at 9:00 pm -

cannot believe ch nine they are one of a kind i look forward to this show every week and it only lasted for 3wks arrggg hopeless give the show a chance 9!!!!!!
    put it back on ive just about lost my patience with ch 9 will not be watching again i advise that to evry1 boycott them !!1

13. sally July 16, 2009 at 8:57 pm -

I just turned on the tv and even had the video set to tape tonights episode of trouble in paradise.I couldn’t figure out what went wrong when Bert popped up…Cant stand Bert..I just hope nine come to their senses and put the show back on air at a different schedule,as it was the only show i looked forward to every week!

14. Ricky July 16, 2009 at 5:30 pm -

I really loved the show. I made sure i had my dinner on time, made sure i was ready to watch this show in PC, even had some beers before as i looked forward to seeing this program and sharing the pain all these innocent travellers had been through. And now what a dissapointment thats its all gone. They replaced it with some bulls**t 20 to 1 nonsense. Hate TV in Aussie.

Rubbish TV.

My favorite program all gone and i am heart broken.

15. Raf July 16, 2009 at 4:53 pm -

booooo!!!!!! It was a nice, true story show.
    Channel 9 Shame on you.
    You replaced it with 20 to 1 with occasionally funny Bert Newton and boring repetitive positions.
    You should put it instead of Getaway :))
    More real stories. I was looking forward to watch the next episode in Poland cos I was there and people were v. friendly.
    Hope the show will be run on-air again soon.

16. mac July 14, 2009 at 6:58 pm -

foxtel epg and nines yourtv website still hasn’t been updated

17. Quentin July 13, 2009 at 10:58 am -

Finally! I knew that this would happen! Why would anyone think of scheduling this show right after Getaway…It’s just idiotic to be encouraging audiences to travel around and outside Australia one moment; and then put fear in everyone’s hearts and minds to travel in the next hour. It’s also bad for Getaway’s ad partners and sponsors to begin with.

Good one! I applaud this strategy! I’m not trying to be an expert scheduler here but if I were to schedule this show accordingly, I would put this on a Sunday Night (930pm) or on a Monday night after Sea Patrol — scrap MPU. MPU should be a weekend show. Listen to me please this Sunday or Monday line up would be great for Nine!

18. Paull July 12, 2009 at 11:37 pm -

@ gerrard: In that case, it seem’s like Nine’s heart for tv has gone into cardiac arrest, and they’re doing all the wrong things to try and resuscitate their ratings.

19. gerrard July 12, 2009 at 3:57 pm -

@ Paull,

Don’t mean to be technical, but Nine’s 2008 slogan was “we heart tv,” not “we love tv.” :)

20. Paull July 12, 2009 at 2:22 pm -

@RichoTB: We’ll have to politely agree to disagree on that one.

As for nine, I cannot believe how impatient they are with new shows! They did the same with “You Saved My Life’, the only other show ive watched on nine this year.

I also can guarantee you that the programme they replace it with won’t rate as high.

In fact, the rumours are that nine will replace it with a 20 to 1 special on great shows that were axed, apparently 19 of the 20 shows in the count down aired on the nine network.

Unlike their 2008 slogan, Channel 9 does not love tv.

21. Mishie July 12, 2009 at 10:45 am -

Aww as a Polish expat I was really looking forward to it being hilariously alarmist and inaccurate about Poland! Boo!

22. RichoTB July 11, 2009 at 8:19 pm -

I’m glad this crap was axed, anyone who found it interesting should go out and get some taste. There’s always Border Security and Customs available for the bogans who miss this show anyway.

23. DAN July 11, 2009 at 6:14 pm -

Like paull trouble in paradise was the only show I watched on 9 it was a good show people wont bother watching new shows on 9 anymore because they know they will be axed

David have you ever thought about taking over as head of channel 9 you would run it so much better than they do

24. Paull July 11, 2009 at 1:12 pm -

nooooo!

This is literally the only show I watch on nine, and as an added bonus, it’s the only show I watch without taping (so in otherwords, I’m actually watching nine’s ads). I cannot believe this! This was a great show and I’ve looked forward to it each thursday night for the last 3 weeks, sure they shouldn’t have put it on after getaway, but it needs to come back!

25. Jed July 11, 2009 at 1:05 pm -

David, can we just assume that every new show Nine put on will be axed. That will save you writing up an article every week for whatever show Nine decides to axe that week. Seemed stupid having Getaway telling to people to take all these lovely holidays, followed by a program telling people to avoid all these holidays. Strange programming decision.

26. mac July 11, 2009 at 12:54 pm -

nine clearly have no patience, like andrew b said you need more than 3 week to tell if a show is successful or not and like other’s have said what happens if 20 to 1 rated lower.it also it was a stupid idea to air this straight after getaway.

27. james July 11, 2009 at 11:32 am -

It made me laugh when I tuned into this show for its premiere episode. They’d just had a major story on Peru on Getaway which featured a big competition for a holiday to South America. This was followed by the 1st story on Trouble In Paradise about a family that was kidnapped at gunpoint and held ransom….in Peru.
    Bet the 1900 competition number went quiet after that!

28. Lewis July 11, 2009 at 11:25 am -

OMG. More 20 to 1.

Nine is a joke.

29. Zambora July 11, 2009 at 10:54 am -

@bogues – and agrees.
    Rush on Ten is the way to go for me.
    Nine is just a laughing stock and every time they dump a programme, you are guaranteed to see Bert and 20-1 or Charlie and 2 and half wits there.

30. Andrew B July 11, 2009 at 9:25 am -

Ever heard of letting a show build? Of course its going to rate low. its up against the Ashes and final eps of Grey’s Anatomy. Let it run a few weeks when programming on 7 and 10 settle, then see. 20-1 is not going to do any better. What if 20-1 scores 800k or lower? What next 9?

This is precisely why all shows on 9 fail. What’s the point of a viewer giving something a go if its going to be off after a few weeks.

31. tv July 11, 2009 at 9:06 am -

Not all networks took a hit on Thursday because of the Ashes. Seven increased 1 percentage point compared to last week.

32. Rob July 11, 2009 at 3:22 am -

“Trouble in Paradise wasn’t a poorly produced show, so Nine probably picked the wrong format…”

It’s a show that relies on first hand interviews and reenactments…..we’re not living in 1992, we’re passed reenactments forming the basis for a program. I think it’s the wrong timeslot and the wrong format. Am I watching CrimeStoppers? These “stories” could have happened 15 years ago (they’re all one-sided, no counterbalance to their honesty) and chances are the Australians involved made it out alive to retell their their story down the barrel…no tension required!

33. Michael July 11, 2009 at 2:57 am -

Didn’t channel 9 just hire a new programmer.
    So whats going on?
    Who ego is in control at nine?

34. Bella July 11, 2009 at 12:46 am -

Honestly this show was a load of crap. This show poorly showed what happened to people who don’t read up about their destinations before they leave or read travel advice. None of which is addressed in the show. It was more of an extended episode of ACA or TT.

35. Craig July 10, 2009 at 11:23 pm -

This was a okay idea put in a stupid time-slot. I mean who wants to go from watching what nice holidays you can have to a show with the worst of stories about what can go wrong!

It seems they can’t take a trick, now they are suffering with SBS and the Ashes.

36. Matt July 10, 2009 at 10:51 pm -

Not surprised really, a weak as ripoff of the superior Banged up Abroad.

I watched the first episode, that was enough….. very disappointing show.

37. mac July 10, 2009 at 10:47 pm -

@Bogues it would probably be easier to list the show that haven’t had their time-slot changed. lol

38. Bogues July 10, 2009 at 10:35 pm -

It was going to tank in that time slot when Rush starts at 8:30pm next Thursday. At least the people that want dumbed down telly will have 20 to 1. The rest of us will have Rush.

I’m not sure if there are stats on this, but nine seem to have the worst record of any network this year of not showing a series in the same time slot for start to finish. Underbelly 1, Cold Case, Big Bang, Hells Kitchen, Kitchen Nightmares, CSI NY, CSI Miami, Without a Trace, Fringe, L2L, Mentalist, homeMADE, Trouble in Paradise and the list goes on. 2.5 men and 20 to 1 only have limited lifespans (neither which I watch)

39. jakevin. July 10, 2009 at 8:24 pm -

To be honest, last night I watched it for the first time and was questioning the truth behind it to extreme levels. I mean the two stories they put on last night – the first was believable but the second was absolutely ridiculous.

These two guys went from being captured in the Columbian forest for eight months, waiting for letters that were never sent requesting 5 million dollars from their families to return with the money. Nothing was mentioned about torture or food. After these people who captured them apparently talked about how they would kill the two men for months they just let them walk and somehow these two were lost in the middle of nowhere and I quote “and a week later we were back in England.”

Surely it is only loosely based on real life issues?

40. mac July 10, 2009 at 8:19 pm -

this is very disappointing, i and the rest of my family have watch this show each week and found it very interesting. do you know david how many more eps were produced and what happened to them.

41. Max July 10, 2009 at 7:59 pm -

20 to 01 again?? Good lord.

I watched a bit of Trouble in Paradise last night – just the first story. It wasn’t terrible and there wasn’t much else on (although there was a bit of a all in brawl during the boxing on ONE that I read about today). Shame it wasn’t given a better run. Its premiere ep is still sitting on my PVR too, come to think of it..

42. Jerome July 10, 2009 at 7:50 pm -

i didn’t watch it but 871 is not that bad for a thursday, i would have waited atleast until there was no ashes. do they think more people will watch 20to1 when it is up against double take.