TEN renews Talkin’ ‘Bout Your Generation

By David Knox on July 10, 2009 / Filed Under News 42

talkin bout On set Shaun 2EXCLUSIVE: TEN has renewed its hit panel series Talkin’ ‘Bout Your Generation for second season.

Production wrapped last night in Melbourne on the 2009 season, extended to 17 episodes, with a cross-network and themed episode featuring Kerri Anne Kennerley, Wil Anderson and Josh Lawson.

TEN Programmer David Mott announced the news to cast and crew at a wrap party.

“Shows come and go, but clearly this one has struck a chord with the Australian public. I can talk about ratings, and yes it averaged over 1.6million people -fantastic.

“But I think one of the things is it has brought families back together in the living room. And for us that’s really important, because it’s so much harder to get kids, families. I’ve got three kids, and it’s really hard to get them in the same room at the same time. This is the one show that does it.

“I don’t think we’ve responded so quickly to a format before and I think that just goes to show what a great format it is,” he said.

Mott congratulated Executive Producers Leonie Lowe, Peter Beck and the team from Granada.

“With formats these days it’s quite easy for an Australian production company to go ‘ok here’s a format from overseas’ but the fact these guys developed the format in house in this country, says a lot about the strength of Granada.”

The series hosted by Shaun Micallef and featuring Amanda Keller, Charlie Pickering and Josh Thomas has been one of the success stories of a rejuvenated network.

Whilst he wouldn’t be drawn on how many episodes it will have in its second season, Mott did announce a Christmas episode to be filmed later this year.

Related »

1. JPM August 12, 2009 at 11:06 pm -

@Lynda – Shaun Micallef (if you bothered to read the article) is the show!!!
    Its not Sale Of The Century…..its a comedy quiz show
    Shaun is one of the funniest men on TV…. if u are your friends are left cold u should go back to watching The ABC

@Martos – Are u married to Lynda? Polluting your integrity? I sure there is a T&HM on Nine for you to watch.

2. Lynda Turk July 24, 2009 at 8:30 pm -

I enjoy the concept and like the regular panel members of each generation, but the host, who is he??

Unfortunately he almost ruins the show and now that Masterchef has finished as the lead in program, I won’t be tuning in again.

I think Shaun, I’m not sure of his surname, needs to understand that the show is not about him. He should simply read the questions in an amiable manner and make comments if and when appropriate. (Perhaps lessons from the Spicks and Specks host would be appropriate).

His style leaves me and my friends cold. As I said, the concept is great the host is not.

3. Martos July 23, 2009 at 4:24 pm -

This show sucks, Micallef would have to be the worst comedian on TV today. He failed with shows on the ABC and SBS. This show needs to be dumped quickly as its polluting our integrity

4. dom July 14, 2009 at 12:30 am -

lay off rove and ryan shelton! there is no doubt that the legend that is Shaun micallef is the funniest man on australian tv, but that doesn’t mean you should go and criticize ryan and rove. I genuinely find Ryan Shelton hilarious! but if we are in the process of bagging out unfunny channel 10 shows, well I could go on for hours about good news week. but yes, micallef is the star of this show, with lines such as, ‘it’s that easle’ and ‘the catch is, you’ve got to get it right’. and I also agree, Bring back Newstopia!

5. Ken July 13, 2009 at 12:39 pm -

I was happy to read this story. This is a great show, and deserved to not be shelved for no real reason (like some shows get). Shaun is excellent as the host, and I like Amanda’s dry humor too. Hopefully they can keep getting good ‘celebrities’ to appear.

6. JohnP July 11, 2009 at 3:54 pm -

It will be great to see another series. I wish they could improve the final segment and actually make it really competitive in a fun way (like Spicks and Specks) rather than making it a meaningless “competition”.

Off course it would be ok if they locked Josh Thomas in the make up room before the show also… ;-)

7. Kevin July 11, 2009 at 3:40 am -

Yeah, I think Shaun Micallef is the main reason why Talkin Bout Your Generation has rated so well, and congratulations to him and the team behind the show for it’s success. Still, whenever I watch the show it frustrates the hell out of me. The show tries to cover a huge broad area of questions, rather than being focused like say Spicks and Specks is with music. Also I hate the tasks at the end of the show, which make the entire quiz beforehand completely worthless.

8. Andrew July 10, 2009 at 11:00 pm -

You would think channel 9 wouldn’t let Kerri Anne Kennerly do a rival networks show!? Does that means we might see Karl Stefanovic or Kochie on there next?

9. Michael July 10, 2009 at 10:42 pm -

Sillygostly

10. TBYG July 10, 2009 at 10:40 pm -

A TBYG Christmas special does make a great replacement for the Panel’s Christmas wrap. Great idea, TEN!

11. gerrard July 10, 2009 at 10:18 pm -

@ Sillygostly,

Completely agree with you. Ryan Shelton is an absolute joke. He is such a tool, and is one of the reasons for why I miss Rove on occassions. His Philosophisationing crap is just absolute rubbish, and then Rove wonders why his ratings are low. (apart from the Bruno episode).

Seriously, Kerri Anne will definitely be more funny than him any time.

12. Sillygostly July 10, 2009 at 9:38 pm -

@ Michael

Josh Thomas is a comedian.

13. timmy July 10, 2009 at 8:35 pm -

meh – this show is mildly entertaining, but f*** it, bring back Newstopia.

14. Reubot July 10, 2009 at 6:59 pm -

Bring back Micallef Tonight!

15. Michael July 10, 2009 at 5:25 pm -

Excuse my ignorance, what is Josh Thomas’s claim to fame?

16. Harry July 10, 2009 at 4:26 pm -

Thats great, a deserving show. We need more high quality modern shows on TV from all the networks. Sick of the same old crap.

17. Sillygostly July 10, 2009 at 4:06 pm -

Seriously? Ryan Shelton? He’s a talentless juvenile clown who laughs at all his own jokes before he even delivers the punchline. And after catching glimpses of him on Rove and the godawful Real Stories, I haven’t witnessed any evidence to the contrary.

18. sc July 10, 2009 at 3:09 pm -

Micallef is this show. Enough Said.

19. Josh July 10, 2009 at 3:03 pm -

Josh Thomas, seems a bit worried about his ways towards TEN Executives about bringing back contestants in MasterChef Australia at the party.

According to his personal Twitter page he seems a bit worried about being dropped from TEN after his words to the Executives at TEN.

twitter.com/joshthomas87

20. David Knox July 10, 2009 at 2:59 pm -

Margot Robbie is on next week.

21. Andrew July 10, 2009 at 2:53 pm -

Anyone want to compile a list of potential celeb guests for season 2?

I would have Nikki Osborne, Margot Robbie, Gretel Killeen, Sandra Sully, and people from other networks who wouldn’t be able to do it :(

22. David @ Green Point July 10, 2009 at 2:18 pm -

I thought Newstopia rated reasonably well, for an SBS show. Albeit, why not put the cat amongst the pigeons…and launch a new season late at night on 10. Shaun would then truly be following in the steps of Kennedy and Clive…

23. Nick July 10, 2009 at 1:45 pm -

This crack may be a bit old but my opinion is still valid ozzzie, Newstopia had that very sarcastic, dry humour which I loved and personally and Shelton does that well. Of course, his segments on Rove are just plain sh!t now but I think if put to better use his sarcastic humour on this show. Newstopia wasn’t successful on SBS, maybe for their standards it was, but could and should do so much better.

24. mikeys July 10, 2009 at 1:27 pm -

Congrats to Shaun and Co.

I just want the ‘not confirmed’ Newstopia to be back on SBS so it can be free to develop ideas on it’s own, without TEN’s influence.

25. ozzzie July 10, 2009 at 1:27 pm -

im not sure what you’re smoking nick, but anyone who thinks ryan shelton has any onscreen talent is seriously deluded. the only reason newstopia was successful was due to the fact that it was on sbs where there is more creative freedom.

26. Nick July 10, 2009 at 12:52 pm -

Great, family viewing. Goes to show that just because a network has the cash and more viewers doesn’t mean everything *ough Working Dog*. TEN have obtained a more than valid replacement for Thank God You’re Here, and that show has done less than impressive at its new home

Micallef should do a revived Newstopia on channel TEN, and use a few TEN personalities as reporters, Ryan Shelton would be good on a show like that. The show was wasted in that late slot on SBS

27. Luke W July 10, 2009 at 12:49 pm -

I have always wanted to watch this show, but I always put Australia’s Next Top Model before it. But now that it’s finished, I can enjoy some Micallef goodness! Well done to Ten for creating a good replacement for TGYH.

28. Andrew July 10, 2009 at 11:56 am -

i have to go against the trend here.

I’m not a fan of Shaun Micallef!

There, I’ve said it.

I’ve watched the show and quite enjoy it but it certainly isn’t due to the host, who actually grates on me a bit. For me, the team captains are the heroes of the show. Micallef, well, he is OK in other things I’ve seen of his like Newstopia, but just not in this show.

29. David Knox July 10, 2009 at 11:11 am -

Yes title is clunky (I wanted “Mind The Gap”!!) but they are stuck with it now. I think even Shaun would not be claiming any singluar responsibility for what remains a collaborative artform. Also, Shaun and cast were amply acknowledged at the wrap for their pivotal roles on the show. Micallef was the #1 dream host from day one and everyone in the industry knows a commercial hit is a long overdue acknowledgement of his finesse. He also has hopes to revisit Newstopia in a fresher format, nothing confirmed.

30. Sillygostly July 10, 2009 at 11:03 am -

Make no mistake, Shaun Micallef is single-handedly responsible for the success of this show. While it’s always a pleasure seeing him on screen, it makes me a little sad seeing him reduced to a game show of this calibre. He’s completely wasted in this, and I’m sure that many others would much rather see him back in a role where his talents are better showcased *cough* Newstopia.

And for God’s sake… change the name of the bloody show! Not only is it 7 syllables too long, but the abbreviations are tacky and embarrassing. The title should be shortened to something along the lines of the original title proposal (e.g. MyGen). I can just hear Shaun die a little inside whenever he’s obliged to say it.

31. Andrew K July 10, 2009 at 10:57 am -

Micallef is certainly great on the show. Having watched a taping though live, 95% of what he says is scripted jokes, so of course he’s going to come up with some goodies. The contestants have absolutely no scripted material and no idea what to expect on the show, which is why I think their ‘wit’ appears less cohesive…and Micallef likes it that way I think. Anyways, good to see it’s been given the green light for a second series!

32. jj July 10, 2009 at 10:25 am -

Does this mean no more newstopia :(

I guess I can’t complain, any Micallef on TV is a good thing.

33. ozzzie July 10, 2009 at 10:19 am -

to really comprehend how good micallef is, just imagine putting some other comedian in as host, and it laughable how bad the show will get. if rove was hosting the show, it would have been axed a month ago averaging under 1million.

34. Paulz July 10, 2009 at 10:07 am -

You’re absolutely right Neon Kitten.
    I love this show but only because of the wit and sense of absurdity that Shaun Micallef brings to it. I would never have though of SM to host a show like this but now I couldn’t think of anyone else who would be capable.

35. GuanoLad July 10, 2009 at 10:04 am -

Even though it was developed in-house, it clearly took its lead from ‘Spicks and Specks’, which in turn took its concept from shows like ‘Never Mind The Buzzcocks’ in the UK.

So it’s a progression of format development, rather than wholesale copying.

36. scuz July 10, 2009 at 9:46 am -

Channel 10 should just have a micallef channel. Micallef eating, micallef shopping, micallef taking out the trash. He’s a genius! The more micallef the better!

37. tomothy July 10, 2009 at 9:46 am -

Does this mean that Shaun may finally be nominated for a Logie in 2010??

38. Leon July 10, 2009 at 9:27 am -

Smart move by Ch10, it has been a ratings winning for the Struggling Channel.

39. campgrenada July 10, 2009 at 7:50 am -

Great to see Shaun Micallef back on TV (commercial or otherwise) for another season. I’m so happy the general public enjoys this show.

40. Craig July 10, 2009 at 7:26 am -

Although it’s not something I watch all the time it’s nice to see TEN with a hit!

41. David @ Green Point July 10, 2009 at 6:24 am -

Micallef is absolutely brilliant hosting this show. After being a fan of his talents since his ABC “Tonight” style shows, it’s just fantastic seeing him reach this current peak. Dare I say he’s the true heir apparant (but without the smut) to Graham Kennedy?

42. Neon Kitten July 10, 2009 at 5:45 am -

Mott, you kinda forgot to congratulate Shaun Micallef, without whom the show would almost certainly have tanked.

It’s not the format, but the genius timing and improvisation of Micallef that makes this show work. And his merciless deconstruction of the very same “great format” that Mott credits for its success..