Generation’s Sunday sacrifice

By David Knox on February 22, 2010 / Filed Under News 37

TEN’s decision to move Talkin’ ‘Bout Your Generation from Tuesdays to Sundays is proving tricky after its second week well behind 2009 averages.

It took 1.09m viewers, third in its spot behind Border Security / Air Ways (1.27m / 1.26m) and Twenty20 Cricket (1.24m) -but it fared better in the key demos winning all groups. TEN did win the night in its target demos 16-39 and 18-49.

Even with demo wins Your Gen is still a long way behind the figures it used to attract on Tuesdays: between 1.5 – 1.7m. Now the network looks to it as its broad entertainment Sunday show in place of live Reality. Last week Your Gen took 1.06m in Total People.

Nine had a comfortable win for the night, with just News, cricket and the Olympics -up to 916,000. GO!’s big 4.6% share was more than both SBS channels combined.

The Good Wife was still good news for TEN on 1.25m, winning its slot with Bones having to settle for 1.15m.

David Tennant’s swansong in Doctor Who was 840,000.

Week 9

1. Craig February 25, 2010 at 10:45 pm -

Hi. I’m a massive Doctor Who fan who also watches your gen. I have to agree most Doctor Who fans will return to my gen next week. I know I will.

2. Johnny 1P5 February 23, 2010 at 3:22 pm -

I pretty much record everything as I have Twin-Tuner PVR, so Talking About Your Generation is one of the shows I record (along with The Good Wife, House, Bones and Castle), so it is pretty much ABC1/2 and SBS1/2 on Sundays (was GO with Weeds before as well it was removed).

Same with Tuesday Night record Big Love and NCIS, while I watch Durham County on ABC2 and then i am set for the week where I watch what was recorded while recording other things (basically a day out watching shows).

Then how I watch TV has no bearing on the Ratings regardless of how I watch it as I am not one of the 701 people who has a Ratings Box in Melbourne, if there was an every household system in place. I actually think the TV Ratings would be totally different to what they are now if that were the case, however they are not and I just have to take it for it is now and when fave shows get dumped, shrug and say oh well.

3. Lisa February 22, 2010 at 10:07 pm -

I would love if Talkin bout your Generation would move back to Tuesdays as that night has nothing on. Top Gear is borderline sport in my book, that is why Channel 9 decided to push back the Olympic coverage for it. But they couldn’t do that on Monday night to put on Big Bang “oh no” Sport comes first. Well, enough of my ranting.

If TBYG can’t move from Sundays at least move it to 6.30 pm instead. At the moment it clashes with too many shows that start at 8.30 with the, I don’t start and end exactly on and end of the hour thing. Also with the cricket being on, I have been lucky to see TBYG at all.

Come on Channel 10 move TBYG to a better timeslot.

4. aznfratboy February 22, 2010 at 10:06 pm -

Even if it moves back to Tuesday it will still be hurt, it will end up airring against Top Gear, and for some reason, the world enjoys seeing an old guy trying to be 20 again…

@ Francis generally, when a network dominates a night, another network will try and kill it, and put their best shows on that night, in the states, NBC ruled Thursday nights for nearly 15 years with sitcoms like Cosby Show, Cheers, Seinfeld, Friends and dramas like LA Law and ER, but then CBS began chipping away at Thursday night, with CSI, which at the time was all the buzz, and also the TV -lanscape changing Survivor. ABC then joined in all the fun and put Grey’s Anatomy against CSI.

It’s natural for networks to do this, been done for ages.

Sunday night started being the night to watch when Seven put Dancing with the Stars there, then they put their docu-dramas there, They then had their Bones/Castle Sunday nights and Seven began to win Sunday night, TEN this year has countered it with the young skewing and advertising loved Your Gen, the critically acclaimed Good Wife, then the ever reliable House, to compete with Sevens line-up. Nine has always had 60 minutes at 7:30, but then again, they sometimes airred 20 to 1 on Sunday, which was a ratings grabber as well.

5. Reubot February 22, 2010 at 8:59 pm -

Maybe it will be cancelled and SBS can bring back Newstopia?

6. Janey February 22, 2010 at 8:49 pm -

@ James, usually I compare the share percentage year-on-year, not total people figures. If I do ever compare total people figures, it is only to support my argument that all shows are down compared to last year because of the added competition from the digital channels. Last night when Generation, Cricket and Border Security/Airways was on, 325,000 people were watching commercial digital channels. That many viewers watching digital has to make a difference to the main channels’ figures…it would be very naive for anyone to just ignore the extra competition and assume that shows are going to rate the same this year as last year.

7. Ja'mie February 22, 2010 at 8:22 pm -

Ten have ruined Your Generation by moving it to Sunday, where I (and about 600k other viewers) seem to have switched off.

8. James February 22, 2010 at 6:52 pm -

@ Janey – I think it’s a tad hypocritical for you to say “I don’t think it’s fair to compare this year’s figures with last year’s for several reason” when on Media Spy under the nickname ‘CJM’ , you quite regularly compare results for Seven and Nine to their performances the year before.

9. Peter February 22, 2010 at 6:34 pm -

Just goes to show what happens when there’s a bit of competition around. The fact of the matter is Shaun Micallef and his high brow humour just doesn’t appeal to the majority of Australians. He really should get back to the ABC where he belongs.

10. Gammi February 22, 2010 at 5:40 pm -

Get a new Gen Y panelist. That Josh Thomas is so pathetic! What has he done to represent that whole generation in Australia?

11. tv February 22, 2010 at 5:25 pm -

Ten had no option but to move it to sunday as Top Gear on nine would have killed gen quicker.

12. tasmanian devil February 22, 2010 at 5:23 pm -

@Josie – You make a good point. People look forward to some light entertainment after a long day at work/school and TBYG fits the bill perfectly. On Sunday you don’t really feel the urge to watch it as much, and I think that would be one reason amongst others why its ratings have decreased following the move to Sundays. It was a mistake in the first place making that move and I don’t see a problem with missing a night of The Biggest Loser in favour of TBYG.

13. JulieS February 22, 2010 at 5:10 pm -

I usually watch TBYG but I like a lot of others I dropped it in favour of Doctor Who.

I will also be dropping it if ABC or SBS end up showing some good documentaries that have been a staple for years.

14. Doctor Ry February 22, 2010 at 4:57 pm -

Doctor Who would definitely have affected TAYG’s overnights (although one would imagine that the timeshift would show some difference).

That said, moving TAYG from Tuesday to Sunday was a pretty silly move. TEN would have been better off sacrificing an episode of Biggest Loser on Tuesday to slot in TAYG there. But then, I’m still uncertain why TEN moved House from Wednesdays to Sundays…guess I’m clearly not a television programmer…

15. Josie February 22, 2010 at 4:44 pm -

I feel that the same thing happened to Rove when they did it to him… its great for midweek entertainment. I somewhat feel force to watch it on Sunday instead of “yay, tbyg is on tonight”… might sound strange but i think its good to have fun on midweek as well.

16. Rhys February 22, 2010 at 4:29 pm -

I’m a regular viewer of TAYG but have to admit I haven’t watched the last two weeks in favour of the Doctor Who finale. But I’ll be back watching Shaun and co. from next Sunday, as will I’m guessing a good number of those 840,000 Doctor Who devotees, most of who would fall into TAYG’s target demos – that should kick the figures up by a couple hundred thousand at least.

17. Harry February 22, 2010 at 4:18 pm -

TBYG should be doing higher numbers – wouldve probably done 1.4 mill on Tuesdays without MC.

18. Stephen H February 22, 2010 at 2:34 pm -

I actually agree with what Janey is saying and I’m often the first person to attack channel 10.

19. effdee February 22, 2010 at 2:17 pm -

It makes absolutely no difference to me when a show is on, I record everything, and watch whenever I want to.
    I don’t understand why more people aren’t doing the same.

20. Tony February 22, 2010 at 1:50 pm -

Francis, Sundays have always been the most competitive tv night because that’s when most people are home. By the way, I’m one of those Doctor Who fans who will be returning to TBYG next Sunday!

21. James February 22, 2010 at 1:30 pm -

@ Francis. All data shows the biggest viewing night of the week is Sunday, followed by Monday then Tuesday and so on.

22. michael February 22, 2010 at 1:13 pm -

i am one of those people who normally watches TBYG I really wanted to watch last night with Red symons and Kate Ritchie but i just had to watch david tennants very last episode on doctor who

23. Janey February 22, 2010 at 12:44 pm -

David, whilst I applaud your demo acknowledgement for TBYG, which up against 20/20 cricket is an incredible achievement, your headline suggests that the ratings environment this year is the same as last year when it was getting 1.6 million. With digital channels and Summer audiences, there really is no comparison between this year and last year. Most shows have lost audience compared to last year…Generation is just one of them. The real headline should be “Where have all the viewers gone?” I honestly do not believe that TBYG would still be doing 1.6 million on Tuesdays this year, especially opposite Top Gear.
    So has moving it to Sundays really been a sacrifice? Or does it just confirm the continued fragmentation of the television audience. What other show would be getting around 1.1 million and winning all the demos 7.30pm Sunday for Ten?

24. Francis February 22, 2010 at 12:36 pm -

I don’t get it. When did Sunday nights become so popular for tv??

I mean, look at 5-10 years ago and if your show was on sunday nights it was sure to bomb.

Now, if your show isn’t on sunday nights then it must be crap!!

I mean, stop putting some much emphasis on the actual night your show is on.

If people want to watch the show they’ll watch it regardless of the night it is on

25. Ellie February 22, 2010 at 12:34 pm -

Janey… just a question… do you work for CH 10??… If not then you should… your role could be Chief Spinner :O)

26. ryan February 22, 2010 at 12:23 pm -

for everyone saying it should be moved. Where? The 7pm project and bondi rescue stops ten returning it to tue or any day for that matter.
    I would love to see it back during the week. The 7pm project stuffs up alot of tens programming!!

27. Tim February 22, 2010 at 12:05 pm -

Oh bugger, i forgot your gen was on, sunday night isn’t the best night for watching tv for me. I preferred tuesday.

28. Peter Kiama February 22, 2010 at 11:58 am -

Like “Andy” I record and watch it later, unlike last year when I watched it live.

29. David Knox February 22, 2010 at 11:56 am -

Sigh… even when I acknowledge the demos there just ain’t no pleasin Janey.

30. CrAig February 22, 2010 at 11:56 am -

I don’t think there’s too much cause for concern for TBYG… let’s not gloss over the David’s sentence “but it fared better in the key demos winning all groups”.

31. Janey February 22, 2010 at 11:47 am -

I don’t think it’s fair to compare this year’s figures with last year’s for several reasons. Last year Generation was getting around 1.6 million against older skewing factuals on Seven and failed show HomeMade on Nine without any digital channel competition and with mostly Masterchef as its lead-in and it started in May when more people were watching television. This year it is getting almost 1.1 million against Seven’s very resilient Border Security and very popular Airways, Doctor Who and 20/20 Cricket, and also winning all the demos under 55 years. I think that it’s doing an excellent job. All network shows seem to have been affected by the extra competition from the digital channels
    IMO Your Gen will increase over the next few weeks when 60 Minutes returns and the evenings become colder and darker earlier.

32. Andy February 22, 2010 at 11:46 am -

I record it and watch it later on Sunday night. Just wondering how it goes with timeshifting taken into account? Are a lot of people recording it for later?

33. Bereft Skerrick February 22, 2010 at 11:26 am -

Wait until next Sunday when there is no Doctor Who factor, then the picture will become clearer.

34. Leith February 22, 2010 at 11:17 am -

I wish they would move it back to Tuesdays! It’s horrible on Sundays as I’m less likely to be at home watching TV – I’m trying to cram as much as I can into the last remaining bits of my weekend.

35. Jesse February 22, 2010 at 11:15 am -

It was always going to take a bit of a tumble placed up against Border Security. It’s something of a dilemma now, do we watch Border Security or TAYG?

I suspect many of those watching Doctor Who would be regular TAYG viewers as well.

36. Bass February 22, 2010 at 11:06 am -

Your Gen is still doing better figures than Idol and the last year of Big Brother in that slot, its the toughest slot in the whole schedule and I don’t think the figures are all that bad considering its been moved to a totally new night.

37. mikeys February 22, 2010 at 11:05 am -

Your Gen, being my favourite show on FTA, deserves a better timeslot. Tuesday’s always seemed to work well for the show.

Whatever happens, I’d be devastated if they managed to run it into the ground.