ABC bumps My Place, Sleuth 101, ‘reinstates’ Collectors.

By David Knox on March 10, 2010 / Filed Under Programming 34

The ABC has announced two major scheduling changes, affecting My Place, Sleuth 101 and Collectors.

Collectors will be reinstated to its traditional time of 8pm Fridays from March 19th. It follows the ABC’s attempt at a 6:30 Sunday slot after the exit of The Einstein Factor. But viewers have been adamant in online forums that they preferred its Friday night slot.

Sleuth 101 which was in the Friday night slot will shift to 6:30pm Sundays from March 28th.

Meanwhile, ABC3 family drama My Place which had been replayed at 7:30pm Sundays on ABC1 has been abandoned from the prime slot after diastrous figures. On Sunday it pulled 286,000 against Air Ways on 1.43m viewers and dragged the network’s Sunday share down to just 11.1%.

It will be replaced by a series of nature documentaries from this Sunday night: Kalahari Tales, Titus: The Gorilla King, The Mountains Of The Monsoon. ABC will resume My Place in a kid-friendly timeslot of 5:30pm in late April.

Making late programming switches of this kind is rare in the ABC.

Marena Manzoufas, ABC TV Head of Programming said, “Clearly, the family audience has not engaged with the repeat of My Place on Sunday night at 7.30pm on ABC1, so I am replacing it with natural history programming, beginning with the Kalahari Tales and My Place will now move to 5.30pm on April 22 on ABC1.

“The dedicated Collectors’ audience has clearly demonstrated their preference for the show’s original 8pm Friday slot so I have decided to reinstate it there and move Sleuth 101 to Sundays at 6.30pm.”

1. Belinda March 20, 2010 at 10:06 am -

My 9 year old daughter is devastated that My Place has been taken off. She was so looking forward to watching it again after loving it on abc3. I think it is a quality kids drama- something I’d like to see more of from the abc. I hope it will be rescheduled on the weekend as weekdays are for school work & reading not tv. Sunday night was perfect for us.

2. Glen March 19, 2010 at 6:55 pm -

So what happens to the ABC2 repeat at 6pm on Sundays? Its still listed in the ABC EPG for this Sunday…

3. Lizzy March 15, 2010 at 8:40 am -

Seems like oz audiences (still) not ready for the stories told in My Place. We thought they hit a tender spot, rather than being light and fluffy.

4. Rusty March 14, 2010 at 9:59 pm -

Couldn’t agree with you all more. I do watch ‘Hungry Beast’, but that’s only because it has a golden timeslot sandwiched between two other great shows. I don’t mind ‘Hungry Beast’ so I sit through it, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it causes people to tune out. ‘Sleuth101′ is the perfect substitute here, and I can’t understand why a programme targeted towards a younger demographic was put on the weekend to begin with.

I think the main reason why ‘Hungry Beast’ has secured a Wednesday night timeslot is due to ‘The Chaser’s War on Everything’ previously holding that timeslot. The two programmes may be similar, but ‘Hungry Beast’ is different enough to throw of the entire dynamic. Perhaps, ‘Hungry Beast’ could be relegated to late Fridays, as ‘The Chaser’s War on Everything’ originally was, or perhaps ABC2, considering that surely anyone who watches fits into the ‘set top box owning mould’.

5. SJ March 11, 2010 at 6:40 pm -

I thought My Place was a good adaptation of one of my favourite books I didn’t even know it was on ABC3. Now I am going to catch it on iview because there is no way I’m going to be home at 5:30 to watch it.

6. ducko March 11, 2010 at 5:19 pm -

@ Ronnie, I couldn’t agree more. There was a time when the ABC made great Australian drama. Sadly these days, Pay Tv & the commercial networks are making superior drama than the ABC. Look what they’re making this year – more “Bed of Roses” & the PC correct “The Slap”. Disgraceful.

7. koverstreet March 11, 2010 at 1:54 pm -

Just visited the Collectors site and Andy has posted a comment thanking us all for helping to bring the show back to it’s original slot. Seems even the hosts weren’t that enthused with the change.

8. Ronnie March 11, 2010 at 10:55 am -

The reason why BORing and My Place will never attract solid audiences is because they are too slow and too soft. It’s all so damn nice and worthy and middle class. There is great drama being made out there – ABC please note: Love My Way, Cloudstreet, Underbelly, Tangle – all way more interesting than this endless fluff. ABC drama commissioning and programming needs an overhaul at every level.

9. Ruth March 11, 2010 at 8:37 am -

At least ABC is listening to their viewers. Ch Ten take note !!

My main whinge with ABC TV is that they own the rights to “Spooks” (M.I.5 based series) which is up to Series 8 and viewed in the UK late last year and there is no sign of it being put to air at this point.

10. Kevin Unleavened March 10, 2010 at 11:35 pm -

“””Could they not use a Tasmanian based Identity ?”””

No, Errol Flynn is dead.

11. franz chong March 10, 2010 at 10:50 pm -

The ABC Programmers are a joke.How do you expect to compete against Sevens Movies with Bed Of Roses.They should not have even bothered the last two weeks with that show.Sister Act 1 and 2 would have eaten them alive.

12. mikeys March 10, 2010 at 8:08 pm -

It’s probably a good move, and a better fit for the two programmes…

But….. has the world gone toppsy turvey?

13. Stan March 10, 2010 at 7:24 pm -

Since when did Nine Network programmers work for ABC1? I like Sleuth 101, but I agree with Tas Devil saying Wednesday night would be better for it.

14. Barrie March 10, 2010 at 6:59 pm -

The ABC have confirmed that Dr Who – series 5 will premiere in April so I guess they are filling the gaps with nature docs until then.

15. Ben March 10, 2010 at 6:34 pm -

Oh no now the abc joins the ranks of the commerical networks in switching programs before the end of their run. Shame on you ABC! But cant wait for librarians!

16. astrogirl March 10, 2010 at 6:08 pm -

I’m kinda pleased about this. Friday night isn’t really the night we sit down as a family to watch something, but Sunday is and we do sit down to watch Sleuth 101 together as el kiddo loves it. We tended to record it though, so it really isn’t too big a deal, but nice to see the ABC making the change. The earlier time slot will suit us better too.

17. southpatt March 10, 2010 at 5:58 pm -

Yep – Sunday sucked! And while I’m at it. while I have nothing against Claudia Chan Shaw – She is promoted as Sydney based. So who is footing the bill to get her to the tapings? Could they not use a Tasmanian based Identity ?

18. koverstreet March 10, 2010 at 5:05 pm -

Thank goodness the ABC finally saw sense and put Collectors back where it belongs. @ kev- you’d be the only one..every single fan on the Collectors website Hated the Sunday time slot..Friday is where it’s been for five years and where the fans were used to seeing it. I reckon the Collectors site will be going off about now!

And now if they’ll just bring The Einstein Factor back!! I concur it was ideal Sunday night viewing.

19. Ronnie March 10, 2010 at 4:42 pm -

@ Stephen H Sorry, BORing is not in the same league as Doc Martin and New Tricks. It tries and dismally fails.

20. Goddess March 10, 2010 at 4:24 pm -

On the other hand, isn’t it nice to see a network actually respond to viewer feedback!

21. tasmanian devil March 10, 2010 at 4:22 pm -

It’s rare for ABC to make a schedule change like this, but I’m glad they did because this was really not working for them. 6:30 Sunday for Sleuth 101 though? I can’t see that working. 9:00 Wednesdays would have made more sense. The IT Crowd is unfairly suffering because of its poor lead in and Sleuth 101 would hopefully solve that problem, while also improving its own ratings. It seems obvious.

22. Kev March 10, 2010 at 3:59 pm -

ABC viewers on its message board have been ruthless about the programming change with collectors. I for one do not join them in their chorus on complaints. Fridays should eb a night reserved for crime and collectors certainly does not fit in well here.

23. Madame Tango March 10, 2010 at 3:39 pm -

Its disappointing to see My Place go!! My kids really enjoyed this show and it was nice to go back through the way things were in the past with them – to get an insight!!
    Collectors owns that spot doesn’t it? Although I have really enjoyed Sleuth!!

24. ducko March 10, 2010 at 3:37 pm -

Loved Einstein Factor. Absolutely loathe Sleuth 101. Please ABC no more of this rubbish.

25. Jason D. March 10, 2010 at 3:09 pm -

Sleuth is good production wise, it’s worth putting it on after Spicks & Specks where it would receive good ratings. I don’t know what Hungry Beast is trying to be, it’s sketch comedy/youth Labor propaganda. I’d prefer to see local unaffected sketch comedy in the same vein and quality that we see produced in Britain.

My Place is a disaster, kids don’t go for boring drama & require an element of fun, not just curiosity, something the producers & directors never factored into the show. I also saw a promo for it showing a group of girls accepting an asylum seeker which appears to be even more Labor propaganda. Maybe families just don’t want their kids to be brainwashed by the ALPBC.

26. Dr Rudi March 10, 2010 at 2:54 pm -

Isn’t this a bit ruthless by ABC standards?

I don’t care for The Collectors, so I’m not fussed when it’s on; and come AFL season, I certainly won’t be watching tv at 8.00pm on Friday (unless 7 decide to show the games live interstate).

re Sleuth 101 – personally I think this should go to Tuesdays – probably at 8.00pm, then Foreign Correspondent at 8.30, the 8.30 program (currently Rivers) to 9.00pm, and then Jennifer Byrne. QI? To ABC2.

27. Stephen H March 10, 2010 at 2:49 pm -

Sorry Ronnie Bed Of Roses is a Great Program that my family and I enjoy far better then shows like New Tricks and Doc Martin which often do well in that Saturday 7:30 timeslot.

28. AA March 10, 2010 at 2:47 pm -

How’s Sleuth 101 doing ratings wise?

Interesting moves by the abc.

29. Jimbo March 10, 2010 at 2:37 pm -

I agree. Bring back The Einstein Factor. That was a great show

30. Seymor Smith March 10, 2010 at 2:36 pm -

Hungry Beast would be much better suited at 9:30pm. If they put Sleuth 101 after Spicks and Specks they’d probably keep some of the family audience. Hungry Beast is going to kill the Wednesday night comedy line up if they don’t do something about it.

31. Ronnie March 10, 2010 at 2:35 pm -

It’s such a pity the ABC programmer doesn’t know what she’s looking at.
    My Place should never have been put at 730 Sunday. It’s a kids show, and worse, slow and worthy. Please bring someone onto the programming teams who has some drama expertise and how to programme it. Bed of Roses is a mess, Rain Shadow was embarrassing, as was East of Everything.

32. J Bar March 10, 2010 at 2:31 pm -

Don’t know how they expected a repeat from ABC3 to do well in prime time on ABC1. They should have run this first on ABC1 at 6.30pm on Sundays and then repeated it on ABC3 later.

33. Patrick March 10, 2010 at 1:53 pm -

Bring back the Einstein Factor.

It was a great show and Peter Berner was a fantastic host – a perfect Sunday evening programme.

34. Nick March 10, 2010 at 1:44 pm -

Bzzt. Try again. Bump Hungry Beast to ABC2 and put Sleuth in that spot.