Mary Hart confirms her Entertainment Tonight exit

By David Knox on August 6, 2010 / Filed Under News 15

Entertainment Tonight‘s 30th season will be the last for Mary Hart, the US presenter has announced.

Hart, a former English teacher, joined Entertainment Tonight in 1982, with the show not even a year old. She was paired most famously at the anchor desk for 10 years with John Tesh, who left in 1996 to concentrate on his music career. Mark Steines is her current co-anchor.

In a statement Hart said, “I’ve had the privilege of spending 29 years doing something I love – how often does that happen? I’ve had the support of a stupendous group of people starting with Linda Bell Blue, John Nogawski and many others who are so talented on our staff at ET. I only meant to be at ET for three years, suddenly it’s almost 30! I’ve reached a point when I clearly realise it’s time for a change.

“There are many things I want to do in my life and I’d better get on with them. It will certainly be with mixed sentiments that I say ‘goodbye’ at the end of the season, but it will definitely be with a sense of celebration…30 years of Entertainment Tonight, are you kidding me? That’s an accomplishment and something I’m very proud of!”

Her announcement follows speculation this week that Insider‘s Lara Spencer was hedging for the anchor role, but so far no replacement has been announced.

Executive Producer Linda Bell Blue, who has helmed the show since 1995 says, “Mary is one of my closest friends and although I respect her decision I will miss her tremendously. Right now we are focused on making this next season the very best in her long history with ET. She will remain first on the red carpet for the biggest award shows and will continue to interview Hollywood’s top stars. We’re going to have a lot of fun this year!”

It’s not clear when her last day will be, but it’s likely to be in May 2011.

Source: Deadline Hollywood, Associated Press

1. bobby August 8, 2010 at 12:10 am -

Lara Spencer did the interior design for kathy griffin recently, i’d be moer than happy for her to replace the stunned mullet.

2. dave August 7, 2010 at 12:26 pm -

i thought that Mary Hart was Dixie Watley after plastic surgery. One and the same!

3. Josh August 7, 2010 at 10:02 am -

she took over from Dixie Whately who was devastated to be shafted after only a short stint…

4. mikeys August 6, 2010 at 7:05 pm -

I’m with @sam – Now Kramer will be able to watch TV without fear of seizures!

5. dave August 6, 2010 at 6:57 pm -

I’M with Jaye and Mr Do-Bee who must be of a certain age and good taste to prefer Leeza Gibbons over the plastic Mary Hart – too much, over the top and at times quite insincere. When they show you archival iv’s of Mary – you see how heightened her delivery has become. Samantha Harris is probably the successor, but Lara Spencer is my choice!

6. bec August 6, 2010 at 3:26 pm -

Typical ET form. They announce big news on Mary Hart’s departure which is?….not happening until next May.
    Just like the majority of their shows are all “coming right up”, “don’t go anywhere”, “stay tuned”…and before you know it, there is no story, just a hastily edited series of 3-second clips and it’s happy birthday to the stars and goodnight.
    Love you Mary, but hate the anti-climaxes!

7. Lyn August 6, 2010 at 2:29 pm -

I love her.
    Sad to see her leave. :(
    Wish her well. :)

8. Andrew August 6, 2010 at 1:19 pm -

“with John Tesh, who left in 1996 to concentrate on his music career.”

just the thought of this is too horrendous!

9. J Bar August 6, 2010 at 12:51 pm -

Thirty years is a massive achievement. I hope they keep fill-in host Samantha Harris as main host. She’s great.

10. Jaye August 6, 2010 at 12:28 pm -

I never liked her, Leeza Gibbons was way better.

11. sam August 6, 2010 at 12:18 pm -

mary hart always reminds me of the seinfeld episode where when ever kramer hears her voice on TV he goes into convulsions – hillarious…” Im Mary Hart “

12. biz August 6, 2010 at 12:08 pm -

Maybe they could hire Richard Wilkins to reprise his role?

13. KFed August 6, 2010 at 11:58 am -

14. Mr. chandler August 6, 2010 at 11:57 am -

it’s an end of an era. she is the only reason why i watched this show. she is hot

15. Mr. Do-Bee August 6, 2010 at 11:56 am -

Although never a fan of Mary Hart (preferred Leeza Gibbons hosting), this show used to be must watch for people looking out for new release movies and news of the latest American television product. These days I can’t stand it’s obsession with various “celebrities” and crappy American reality television so I seldom watch.