Big Brother: Secrets to air on Nine in 2012

By David Knox on September 9, 2011 / Filed Under News 143

Big Brother is finally set to return to Australian television in 2012 -on Channel Nine.

The Herald Sun reports the show will return as Big Brother: Secrets, where every housemate has a secret.

In April TV Tonight suggested the show could be revived on a digital channel by tweaking the show around the French version: Secret Story. In that series housemates are compelled to interact with one another to try and discover each other’s secret and win cash prizes. The format encourages housemates not to fly under the radar.

TEN is believed to have to bid on the new series, but Nine is said to have signed the deal today.

“I understand we are doing it,” a Nine source told the newspaper.

But Nine is also determined to let viewers know it won’t be the same old Big Brother, and will likely be produced on a slimmer budget.

There is no word yet on the host.

The show last aired in Australia in 2008 but fans have always longed for its return.

Update: I have now confirmed the story, with sources, but it’s “early days” on all the details…

1. Captain Crash January 28, 2012 at 3:35 pm -

Great another show for the sleezy brain cell deficient.
    Cheap and nasty viewing. The execs at Nine must love idiots for the ratings.

2. David Knox January 27, 2012 at 11:36 pm -

That’s pretty funny given I was the one who revealed Sonia would be host.

3. Hamish January 27, 2012 at 11:32 pm -

the host of Big Brother 2012 is Sonia Kruger and the location of the house is at Dreamworld Australia

4. Yes January 18, 2012 at 5:57 pm -

Omg yes, i love big brother,

5. Michael S November 10, 2011 at 4:54 pm -

Im excited about big brother returning but Im not so sure about the whole secrets thing. I mean I cant see them really doing much else apart from trying to find out someones secrets. Whats the point of having friday night games when from what I have read the person who guesses someones secret will get to go in the rewards room and the other is up for eviction so friday night games would be for nothing. To me that would mean people would have to find out at least two secrets per week so people can vote on the two people up for eviction. I think they should keep the original format with friday night games and a few little extra things to keep people interested. I think once people start finding out people secrets it will get boring and people will only start watching at the eviction to find out who is going and what their secret was.

6. David Knox November 8, 2011 at 1:37 am -

Already denied.

7. tim masom November 8, 2011 at 1:27 am -

hamish and andy as hosts?

8. Tameeka October 25, 2011 at 10:26 pm -

Heeeeey, does anyone know how to apply for big brother 2012?? i’m keen! : )

9. Katie October 10, 2011 at 3:52 pm -

Does anyone know how to apply for Big Brother 2012 yet??

10. laurennn October 7, 2011 at 6:15 pm -

I’m really excited for big brother to come back. But, along with everybody else I have a feeling channel 9 is going to ruin the show forever. Channel 10 is where it belongs.
    And also don’t use an existing channel 9 host! They are all so annoying.. plus BB is best kept different.

11. james September 20, 2011 at 3:40 pm -

im an american but i love big brother uk .and hate big brother in the us .they have way hotter girls on the uk version .i love faye and maisy and lousie they are freaking hott .i hope big brother uk never ends .never saw big brother australia but heard it was off the chain well thanks

12. josh September 19, 2011 at 9:53 pm -

I bet there will be a time when all audience watching BB show on channel 9 would want channel 9 to show more of big brother live.

Jut like it did so with the up-late BB show
    Perhaps channel 9 since it will be the firs ttime they will host the show.. next year for the first time. It will be a see how the show went in ratings. And if things are very succesfull all thru the big brother season then perhaps in the year 2013 they might bring BB Up-late show

So one step at a time year per year step by step. Taking it easy and not collaps the ratings.

but alot of audience would want everything back to how it was. otherwise your just simply going to hear that channel 9 is not showing much of big brother show at all and it feels less of big brother reality show… People would expect to see the full ideal of the big brother reality tv show all the way day by day night by night. Not simply just a nice 1 hour per day or night of big brother show and thats it.

Channel ten did alot though.. big brother updates even during midday lunch time 5minutes updates. then nightly big brother highlights of the day… then big brother up late during the nights… then the eviction shows on a sunday.

13. Juanita September 19, 2011 at 8:02 am -

Hi if big brother show returns… and then its desided to return the following year after that in 2013 and then 2014 and so on. Shouldn’t the show have a number of a series of its it going to be somehting like (Big brother: secrets 1) 2012
    then Big brother: secrets 2) 2013

Not sure how thats going to sound like but i dont think it will simply be called just big brother: secrets.

It has to have a series number. Not sure how they will do that since 2009/2010/2011 has missed out of the bb series.

Last series was in 2008 and it was big brother series 8.

I dont think it will then be called big brother series 9 for 2012. But it does sound nice since it will be on channel 9 been a series of series 9 :-) but who knows.

14. malissa September 18, 2011 at 6:37 pm -

I cant wait for big brother to return. If big brother show isnt as great as it used to be during ch10 then it will be so boring to watch it.

I mean who wants to watch something pre-recorded or something like big brother show virtualy in its scene.!

I like the traditional big brother style of the show it shows more of peoples personality rather then less about bb show.

They better return the up-late shows of BB coz it was good when i was in bed relaxing and watching. Just like as if you would watch someone on cam allnight long.

15. David Knox September 15, 2011 at 9:05 am -

There hasn’t been any call for contestants yet. Where is that info from?

16. Kaz September 15, 2011 at 9:01 am -

I so want to be on Big Bro.It seems that you have to spend lotsa dollars on photo headshots, because your own personal photos are not good enough.Personal photos would actually be better to show the raw genuine side of everyday people instead of a superficial, stereotyped images.Thats what should make up the dna of any tv reality concept.

17. Dave September 13, 2011 at 10:57 pm -

@Simon You are pretty close to the mark, which makes me a little bit physically ill.

18. Tameika September 13, 2011 at 10:55 pm -

I want to be on bb12 how do you apply and when are castings open?!

19. thedoctor2640 September 13, 2011 at 10:48 pm -

BB in 2012 should be like successful debate show with more intellect – combine successful features of stuff like Q&A on ABC, 7PM project and all that – we need some diversion from just “celebrity fetish”, go for more politcs (and sex of course :-)

20. Samo September 13, 2011 at 7:28 pm -

OMG! OMG!!! OMG!!!!!! I can’t wait for BB12 however, just like hey hey it will be axed after 1 year because nobody will watch it, but I could be wrong, big brother secrets may be a huge success.

21. Danni September 12, 2011 at 10:20 am -

I am glad to hear that it is finally coming back, I watched every series of the show and in my opinion the only thing that killed it was Kyle & Jacko O hosting it! As soon as the final series began it just wasn’t the same, as for people saying that why bring something back that was an obvious flop, there are plenty of people out there that have wanted the show back on since it was axed. It’s called difference of opinions. My personal opinion is that the show will reach a huge amount of ratings as it’s been nearly 4 years that it has been off air, providing that they keep it interesting and show the public what they really want to see (BB Uncut & Friday Night Live with Rewards Room etc.) then I can’t see that it will be a failure. I am really excited about it!!

22. Emma Jones September 12, 2011 at 10:03 am -

how do I apply for big brother 2012??? :)

23. yeah September 11, 2011 at 11:37 pm -

good to see it coming back to australia – i have enjoyed the current american big brother series on cbs with julie chen as host and big brother after dark on showtime2 – i enjoy american big brother alot more than uk or australia – it would be good to see the australian version use the american format for nominations and votes for evicting where its all decided by the housemates and not the public, as it creates much more strategy, alliance and gameplay amongst the housemates, where the head of house nominates two people and the veto comps provide a chance for nominated housemates to save themselves then the housemates vote to evict – the last few months with big brother, cbs has won the timeslot in all but one show due to it being up against the first nfl game of the season, with the big brother season finale on wed night in usa

24. Timmuh September 11, 2011 at 12:47 pm -

If it has to come back, its good that its on Nine. Outside the cricket, there’s not a single program I watch on any of their channels, so from my point of view at least this waste of transmission time won’t be taking the spot of anything decent.

25. Rob September 11, 2011 at 1:38 am -

Adrian Swift has made some very smart decisions for Nine of late: The Block was an undeniably massive hit this year. The upcoming short run of Celeb Apprentice may not pull massive numbers but it’ll draw media attention. The Voice is good get for its overseas value. Big Brother is right up that alley of spectacle programming. The main point here is simply that each of the aforementioned shows is from a different production company. It’s no mistake that Ch9 has been courted by Shine, FremantleMedia and Southern Star since Adrian Swift took over.

As opposed to Ch10 who is owned/run by the vertically integrated Shine/Fox/Murdoch family. And failing as a result.

26. nicholasg September 11, 2011 at 1:36 am -

Hey Hey had it’s chance. All twenty of them I believe, Kathy. And, it failed. Miserably. Aren’t there DVD’s for you and your other 600,000 fans who are Still moaning about it’s demise on facebook?

27. VD September 10, 2011 at 11:01 pm -

First ch9 brought back Hey Hey its Saturday, then they recycled the Block and now they decide to drag out Big Brother from the reality tv scrapheap!!! Whats next nine….bringing back that awful Ben Elton show???

28. jonno September 10, 2011 at 10:40 pm -

Got an idea channel nine. How about you buy a big Cheap old wharehouse somewhere, get The Block to renovate it and turn it into the Big Brother house. You will get 2 tv shows,cheap labor,lots of cross promotion and you can auction it off after Big Brother finishes and do it all again the next year. And if some of the block contestants are good you can put them into the BB house too.

29. Tony H. September 10, 2011 at 9:56 pm -

What’s the betting that after two weeks of less than a million viewers, the house will be renovated and passed off as the new series of “The Block’. The residents will then placed in the new reality series ‘The Secret – Homeless’. The winning homeless person will then be offered a job as a special reporter on ” A Current Affair’. After being exposed on ‘Today Tonight” as a long-term shonky-business owner tax-cheat, he/she will be offered a safe Labor seat at the next Federal election. Within two months of being in Federal Parliament, they will become the new Prime Minister, as they had the least ‘history’.

30. KFed September 10, 2011 at 9:37 pm -

@kathy Yes they are wrong. Hey Hey had its chance and failed..

31. scott has wings September 10, 2011 at 8:53 pm -

Wooooo!!!!!!

Big Brother is back!! Yes!

Goo!!!! Big Brotherand Channel 9!!!

32. Simon September 10, 2011 at 8:32 pm -

Hi and welcome to Big Brother I’m Hamish Blake, I’m Andy Lee & I’m Fitzy.

33. Andrew_81 September 10, 2011 at 8:27 pm -

Why are people saying it wont work on nine?

They succesfully resurected The Block and no one thought that would work.

They just need to promote the shit out of it, get the right people (cast) and use a lot of bad puns in their advertisements lol

34. Rob September 10, 2011 at 7:48 pm -

@Kathy: it’s a well-known fact that Ch10 decided not to renew Big Brother based purely on licensing costs. It was a choice between Idol and BB heading into the GFC and BB was more expensive for the network to license up front. Figures in the final year were far superior to things like 7pm Project and The Renovators currently airing and had the added benefit of providing alternate revenue streams from the phone/text voting.

Also: Hey Hey It’s Saturday sucks balls, good riddance.

35. Jason D. September 10, 2011 at 7:19 pm -

I can just see it now…Big Brother hosted by Jules Lund.

36. Blake September 10, 2011 at 6:57 pm -

37. stevieg September 10, 2011 at 6:19 pm -

Bittersweet. I’m glad it’s coming back, but it won’t be the same on nine.

38. Kathy September 10, 2011 at 6:00 pm -

Channel 9 – They won’t being back an Australian icon Hey Hey its Saturday yet they are bring back a show that was clearly taken off air because no-one was watching Big Brother. It just goes to show how out of tune Channel 9 are with the viewing public. Saturday isn’t the same without Hey Hey it’s Saturday 600,000+ people on the facebook site are not wrong. Wake Up – Give Australia what its want’s.

39. Ron September 10, 2011 at 5:47 pm -

@Conan – Sorry to say that reality TV is still very much alive. Just look at the ratings this year for Australia’s Got Talent, The Block, The X Factor, and MasterChef. There have been a few flops (Top Design, The Renovators) but reality programs as a whole seem to be enjoying a ratings resurgence.

Anyway, it’s got to be better than Two and a Half Men/TBBT repeats.

P.S. would love to see Gretel return as host – she made the show!

40. franz chong September 10, 2011 at 4:05 pm -

They should do fine.I often have a good laugh about the Adelaide person who wrote into the advertiser going back to the series 1 or 2 days of 2001-02 when Ten were hosting big brother to vote them all off and to bring back Seinfeld the latter being ten’s 7pm offering at the time.I wonder if they would do the same thing now but with 7pm Project instead of Seinfeld.

41. Allie September 10, 2011 at 4:02 pm -

It’s official – Nine are desperate. Wasn’t this waste of transmission space canned due to lack of interest three years ago??????

42. steve sydney September 10, 2011 at 3:23 pm -

Hope Nine don’t ruin it…

43. mikeys September 10, 2011 at 3:22 pm -

Best. News. All. Year. (TV-wise at least). Too bad Neine has the rights, but we’ll see where this takes us I suppose. All I ask is that in this, the second year of the second decade of the second millennium, we get Live streaming. Let’s modernise (heck revolutionise) Australian TV.

44. unknowen September 10, 2011 at 2:51 pm -

I can say that it Won’t be at the Dreamworld site at this stage..
    And at this time Camilla and a few other people have been approached to host the show :)
    Can’t say anymore …

45. jonno September 10, 2011 at 2:27 pm -

@John Jackson- Young people do watch tv but what i am getting at is they have more options now and for networks to get their attention they have to offer something exceptional. Xfactor and AGT worked this year because a lot more effort was put in than last year. If they bring Big Brother back they cannot downsize it. They have to make it twice as better or the kids will pull out their smartphone,get on Facebook and get their own taste of reality. Channel Seven seems to get this. Nine has had lots of failures in the last few years because the product is second rate.

46. tmorgan September 10, 2011 at 1:21 pm -

Wooooooo!
    Can’t wait. Big Brother and The Voice are my two “Must-See TV” programs for 2012, and they are both on Nine.
    Suck it Seven. Can’t wait for Nine to return their famous jingle “Still the One” in 2013!

47. Maev....Sydney September 10, 2011 at 1:04 pm -

@ jonno ….You are right about kids and their ‘phones….and that is why they will follow BB …on their ‘phones….they did before and they will again….
    When it began…I had teenagers…they had friends…I was also involved with teenagers in my work….they all had BB on their ‘phones.

48. Selene September 10, 2011 at 1:02 pm -

Yay, I can’t wait. Channel Nine better not screw it up!

49. Mary September 10, 2011 at 1:02 pm -

I don’t watch Channel 9 anymore, and this is probably the reason why. Why not Eddie Everthing host it. At least there is a choice of a number of other stations to watch – Ten, ABC, Seven, SBS. Oh, congratulations 9.

50. Conan September 10, 2011 at 11:54 am -

Sorry Nine This is a stupid move.Reality programs are history and are always epic wastes of time (yours and ours). Apparently , you guys are the last to know. Sad.

51. Hi September 10, 2011 at 11:40 am -

Yay this is the day I have been waiting for. I loved Big Brother and watched it every night. I still hope they put Friday Night Live on loved watching the games.

52. aj September 10, 2011 at 11:38 am -

I’m definitely not a bogan nor anyone else who use to watch Big Brother, I love the show. I’m glad channel Nine has signed the rights to Big Brother: Secrets , it will be treated better on the primary channel – Nine at 7pm weeknights and 6.30pm on Sunday evictions in the first half of the year, then start The Block 2012 at the same time slots in the second half of the year. Big Brother will benefit Nine greatly. Please return Gretel as host, dreamworld as location, renovate/ or design new house, return Friday night games with all presenters, uncut/up late, nomination night 1 hour shows etc. Budget really? no problems, increase ratings with content of series.

53. Qubec September 10, 2011 at 10:37 am -

Well the bogans may be happy, but the rest of us aren’t! Just wondering how much Nine will milk this crap for all it’s worth and how many D-grade celebritities, who can barely pronounce the letter H correctly let alone a sentence, the show will churn out. I’m going to go vomit…

54. col September 10, 2011 at 10:22 am -

Its good to know that channel 9 can afford to pay for this crap as the creators would want a small fortune for the rights to produce it , it was dead and buried well before it finished years ago.Channel 9 just have no idea what will get them ratings.

55. catherine September 10, 2011 at 10:21 am -

Sorry I forgot to add Fitzy to that list as well.

56. catherine September 10, 2011 at 10:19 am -

When I woke up this morning and saw the paper and it said Big Brother is back I thought I bet 9 are taking it. So we have to make another bunch of reality stars famous who will sit in the house and try to find out each others secrets. Are they going to sit around the table trying to guess each persons secrets. Riveting. And yes I know I dont have to watch it and I wont be.

Isnt Steve Jacobs leaving the weather on the today show. Maybe he will do it. Eddie wont do it. He has a bit more class than that.

The only decent people that has come out of big brothers years is Chrissie Swan, Pete Timms and Blair.

57. Alex September 10, 2011 at 7:55 am -

Natalie Garonzi.

She would be perfect! She is already on the network, she was so funny on X Factor last year , has done a lot of Live tv, right age group and not one of the boring old stalwarts 9 pull out al the time.

My vote is definitely the Garonz.

58. Jezza September 10, 2011 at 4:57 am -

I like BB, I hope they show it on a digi channel with lots of scantily clad hot babes, c’mon 9 you know you want to

59. John Jackson September 10, 2011 at 2:54 am -

@jonno – you talk like the only people who watch TV are 50 plus. I’m sure young teens and so on over the years have been involved in watching shows like Sytycd, Australian idol and x factor. Also the last Big Brother on 10 had Corey Worthington, and what was he known for? Sending an invite out on myspace, which is similar to Facebook.

@Matt – so hope you’re right about xtra factor! Still can’t believe they had supposedly pulled it.

60. franz chong September 10, 2011 at 2:02 am -

good for them but not if Eddie Everywhere is hosting it.It’s bad enough seeing his face promoting hot seat during the commercial breaks when Ellen is on in the afternoon let alone watching his show if you don’t have access to a Fox 8 via Pay TV comedy alternative or are too old for kids shows.

61. Kevin September 10, 2011 at 1:29 am -

Never watched the show on Ten, as I hate reality TV, but Ten overexposed it to death, when the format only needs 3 shows a week. It’d be a much better fit on Go. On Nine, it won’t deliver the ratings they’re after.

62. cat September 10, 2011 at 1:28 am -

UK BB fan here, great news you are getting BB back. Ours was axed then bought by another channel but with no live feed it’s not the same. If Aus BB has live feed I’ll be watching on the internet.

63. Matt September 10, 2011 at 1:21 am -

@Anon- I doubt they would give her such a high profile gig. And if they’ve only just signed the deal, I doubt any casting decisions have been made. I’m thinking Seven are gonna bring back The Xtra Factor given the shows success.