Not much joy for Joy of Sets

By David Knox on September 28, 2011 / Filed Under News 53

If television programming is about the art of retention, last night audiences kept Programmers on their feet, cherry-picking their choices and sending numbers up and down all over the place.

The top show for the night was The X Factor. Moved from Monday to Tuesday due to the Brownlow count it pulled up 1.4m viewers. There were some pitchy performances amid some Eistedfodd production numbers (they are seriously upstaging the singers this year), but Reece Mastin, YMS, Audio Vixen and a surprising number from Johnny Ruffo were the better acts.

When the show ended, Seven plummeted to 553,000 for Dinner Date UK, luckily it was the final episode for now.

TEN managed second place in network shares, with a new NCIS on 1.07m as its best. NCIS: Los Angeles followed on 899,000. Earlier The Renovators had managed 803,000.

Nine’s Charlie’s Angels began with 815,000, but then numbers surged to 1.25m for Two And A Half Men. Although it lost some 1.1m curious viewers from last week it was still a good number, especially given the unusual X Factor competition. Can it keep those numbers every week?

But it was bad news for Tony Martin and Ed Kavalee’s Joy of Sets, dropping to a lowly 545,000 viewers. It’s a cheap and cheerful show but it does feel overly scripted rather than drawing upon their abilities to work live. That left Survivor: South Pacific to kick off with just 455,000. If it doesn’t rise next week it could be headed for GO! Nine slipped to third place in network shares.

At ABC1 the ABC News was 891,000 and 7.30 was 642,000. The decision to move United States of Tara to Tuesdays hasn’t worked, with 354,000 tuned in -a modest lift on last week.

The Meth Epidemic on SBS ONE was 285,000.

Neighbours topped multichannels with 370,000.

Seven won Tuesday night.

Week 40

1. Dude September 29, 2011 at 2:10 pm -

You can see the quality, but Joy of Sets just been Channel Nined so much – they get on a roll and then you get 3 minutes of ads. It feels too ‘bitsy’, for want to a better word. Will keep watching it though – good on Nine for employing actual talent.

2. Jason D. September 28, 2011 at 11:34 pm -

The Joy of Sets is great. It’s well produced and is consistently funny, hosted by two of the most experienced presenters. I don’t think people know about it as it has only been on for a short time. QI took some time to gain a sizable viewerbase, so it’s possible that its ratings will go up, because it’s not a bad show.

3. Jayden September 28, 2011 at 11:11 pm -

I haven’t watched JOS ep2 yet but plan to online! Bout time ratings accounted for that!!

4. Walden Schmidt September 28, 2011 at 9:57 pm -

Maybe this show has gone down the “poop chute”.

5. justin September 28, 2011 at 7:40 pm -

@jake
    I wouldn’t worry about “angels” and where it moves to, I feel confident in saying it will not get picked up for anymore than the initial 9 episodes.

6. Jake September 28, 2011 at 7:18 pm -

Prediction: That woeful Charlie’s Angels will be thrown to one of those little watched digital stations within weeks and will be in good company with other sorry shows such as Neighbores….

7. J Shaw September 28, 2011 at 6:18 pm -

The Joy of Sets is ok but can improve on the content. I think Tony Martin is a funny bloke but maybe they should throw in some comedy sketches or go out on the streets & ask people questions.

8. justin September 28, 2011 at 6:08 pm -

@Mr Phister
    While it is true that the highest ratings shows in australia are not good quality, I dont think you can use that as a reason for “sets” failing. I mean there were uninspired c*ck jokes, that is right up the alley of people who like 2 and a half men. As far as the concept goes, most people are not big fans of analysing television, meta humour is something that will never reach a broad audience, because to enjoy it, you need to have a lot of pop culture knowledge. Even on that level though, there a other shows that do it much more effectively that the joy of sets.

9. Nick September 28, 2011 at 5:57 pm -

I agree with you David, the scripting is killing what should be an ‘out there’ show. They’ve transformed Ed and Tony into commercial TV alter egos. Boys! Be yourselves, relax and let it happen, stop trying to force it!

10. Ptra September 28, 2011 at 5:46 pm -

There has been alot of talk of x factor being a bit OTT but this is what differentiates this from Idol. This is a show about performance, not just voice alone – otherwise we might as well call it Australia idol if that is the case.

It’s how they present the song to the audience and if you think about singers who hold concerts, there are going to be props and dancers etc… It’s part of their delivery and so I think this adds value to the performance. Love it keep going!

Love Mel B btw…

11. Mr Phister September 28, 2011 at 5:29 pm -

Joy of Sets is brilliant albeit lovely shoddy. The problem is that the Australian viewing public is utterly brain dead – thus the high ratings for The X Factor.

12. CD September 28, 2011 at 5:15 pm -

@Gil – I was at the taping of ep 4 for JoS, and the special guest for that episode was unexpectedly great (look out for their involvement in the ending), though not sure how much will make it to air.
    I agree, though, that the 2 so far have offered very little.

13. Beckala September 28, 2011 at 4:40 pm -

Re Charlie’s Angels – worst Russian accent ever!!!!!

14. TVluva September 28, 2011 at 4:28 pm -

Although, I like to support Aussie shows, that keep local people employed, Joy of Sets is just woeful. How can they get it so wrong? And X Factor??? Whilst I watch it, and will stick with it, I find the “overpraising” to become a serious distraction. Last night such accolades as “that was the best performance Ive ever seen on Australian TV” and “You already are worldwide superstar material”, I personally thought both performers that received those compliments were average at best. and some of the production values in those numbers is bordering Eurovision/Rock Estedfodd kind of kitch. Please no more OTT antics with this show. Keep it real guys.

15. Goonies September 28, 2011 at 3:48 pm -

Oh well I enjoyed both eps of JOS.

Thought it was a very interesting topic, love the p*ss-takes, actually found it reminiscent of some of the segments on the old skool Late Show.

Whoever said it is not even on par with community tv has no idea what they are talking about. If you don’t like a show, fine, but don’t make outrageous claims that don’t even make sense, please.

16. franz chong September 28, 2011 at 3:42 pm -

9 are a joke these days.Ellen and the View Aside do they really make anything worth watching anymore

17. Marco September 28, 2011 at 2:34 pm -

Gave JOS a second chance last night and it was a half hour wasted. Just dont find it terribly funny….or eye opening about the world of TV. Won’t be returning. Didn’t mind Charlie’s Angels as a bit of mindless fun (was caught off guard by a dead Angel in the opening minutes!) but don’t think it’s long for this world.

Nine needs to give shows a few weeks to build an audience…if it shoves Survivor to GO after one week, that just shows total disrespect for the audience, and a pointed finger at why Nine is no longer #1 and won’t be until it gets it’s act together.

18. steve sydney September 28, 2011 at 2:28 pm -

With Ben Elton, Good News World and now Joy of Sets .. I think Australian’s are over skit shows.

Why can’t we have a scripted comedy made?

19. justin September 28, 2011 at 2:14 pm -

I enjoyed listening the Ed and Tony’s radio show, which was consistently funny. Joy of Sets however is a huge failure, the comedy sketches are funny enough, but as stated the studio stuff is so scripted that it is awkward to watch (not good awkward like the office). It is a shame because I share their style of humour and love shows like community that dissect tv shows, I just dont think Ed and Tony work on television.

Did not see charlie’s angels (very much on purpose) but everyone with a small sense of the televesion landscape knew this would be terrible and not have any success, everyone except for channel nine and the fools that even greenlit a pilot to be made. No one even accepts for a second that it is a workable concept in this day and age, 3 beautiful women rangled up to solve crimes at the behest of an anonymous man, yeah no, the c.i.a. and homeland security would shut that down in 5 days. Hawaii five-o works well enough because its just a normal crime procedural with stunning backdrops. Things that are a bit out there, with a cheesy 70s/80s vibe will not work…something something knightrider.

20. steveany September 28, 2011 at 2:01 pm -

Missed the first JOS but caught this one. Bitterly disappointed.
    The Masterchef dissection was ok, but the rest was try-hard, undergraduate, over-scripted & forced. Who the hell was the guest? Never heard of her – is she some CH9 ‘star’? Geez I’m annoyed!
    Tony & Ed, hang your heads, you’ve lost a lot of credibilty with even diehard fans like me. Or have you simply been “Channel Nined”?

21. David Knox September 28, 2011 at 1:47 pm -

Roaring Dave: Bite my lip, bite my lip.

22. Beckala September 28, 2011 at 1:46 pm -

I loved Joy of Sets last night. Hilarious stuff – biggest laugh I’d gotten on tv last night, and Mr Beckala really enjoyed it too. Stuff on Masterchef was great, the other stuff was too.

Tried 2 and a half men again – watchable, but I think that’s to do with Ashton Kutcher more than the script writers – it was adequate for me.

23. roaringdave September 28, 2011 at 1:41 pm -

I think Survivor was scheduled too suddenly. Several people I know who are Survivor fans did not know it was on last night as the “TV Guide” said that the David Hasselhoff Roast was on. I had to send a friend a TV Tonight link to prove that Survivor was going to be on ;-) Many people still rely on printed guides.

24. Gil September 28, 2011 at 1:32 pm -

Ash – I agree. I thought last night’s episode of JOS was better than the first one. I think Tony Martin said 5 eps are in the can already so a bit tough to do any improvements to the format. In saying that, they could lose the special guest – adds nothing to the show.

25. PJ September 28, 2011 at 1:28 pm -

I watched it last night and though this is more ABC not channel 9, it has the wrong audience. Last night I thought was very clever, probably too clever for “Still the One” but more the Gruen crowd…

26. Jarred September 28, 2011 at 1:22 pm -

I actually thought Joy of Sets was better this week than last week. It seemed to flow a bit better, and some of the footage they pulled out was hilarious.

27. nwest September 28, 2011 at 1:16 pm -

I hope that 9 gives JOS time to settle in. I agree that at the moment it is way too scripted, which is really unnecessary as the old “Get This” episodes relied on great Ad Libs and a fantastic rapport between Ed, Tony and Richard. I also agree that the camera work and editing leave a bit to be desired. I will keep watching as I think Tony and Ed are both very talented guys!

28. David Knox September 28, 2011 at 1:09 pm -

Those X Factor mentors now need to take more control of the staging. Would Ronan have used a silly schoolroom scene for Boyzone? I suppose I should be relieved they didn’t dress Andrew Wishart up like Freddie Mercury for I Want to Break Free.

29. John Jackson September 28, 2011 at 1:04 pm -

I did like Joy of Sets last week, and wanted to watch it this week by X Factor was on, so wasn’t able to catch it. Hopefully it will stay around or Tony Martin can still be seen somehow!

30. GuanoLad September 28, 2011 at 1:00 pm -

I love Tony and Ed, and I thought the first episode of “Joy Of Sets” was great fun (haven’t watched the new one yet, I really ought to hurry up and buy a new TV).

But it’s inconsequential fluff. It has no real point except to laugh at TV’s absurdities. That doesn’t sound like a 9PM on Nine type of show to me, that sounds like something to put on 7Mate up against “20 To 1″.

As soon as I first heard it was heading for Nine I thought it was doomed. Nine couldn’t program a schedule if its life depended on it. And oh, its life does depend on it.

31. Barrie September 28, 2011 at 12:59 pm -

I enjoyed Joy of Sets but I did record it and watch it later. A 22 minute show needs to be heavily scripted and edited. It would work better on ABC. As for X-Factor…Christina, Reece, YMS & Three Wishez….the rest were pure Karaoke.

32. Number1 September 28, 2011 at 12:51 pm -

The Joy Of Sets is rated PG. Did you see what was on it last night ?

33. brisvegas September 28, 2011 at 12:49 pm -

JOS would be better suited on abc2 on a wednesday night. I watched it for the first time last night, and enjoyed it quite a lot. Yes, definitely feels scripted in parts, but what the hey – this may not feel as prominent after a few episodes.

34. Craig September 28, 2011 at 12:47 pm -

I watched the first, didn’t go back for 2nds…

So how long before Nine does another Tuesday night make over while 7 & 10 stick with their winning shows?

35. Ash September 28, 2011 at 12:39 pm -

I really loved Joy of Sets last night; thought it was a big improvement over week 1. Hope Channel 9 give it a chance to build.

36. JohnTV September 28, 2011 at 12:34 pm -

OMG Joy of Sets is surely one of the worst put together shows to hit Free to Air this year and by Free to Air Im including the community stations. The editing and switching of cameras is appalling. I have seen better editing on C31 shows which has 1/10th the budget of this show.

Also I don’t get the point of the show…. The fact that Nine have sacrificed it against Packed to the Rafters, only shows what Nine think of it.

Survivor belongs on GO!

37. Craig h September 28, 2011 at 12:21 pm -

The 5 minutes of joy of sets I saw last night I saw was woeful, 5 ‘cock’ jokes in as many minutes… Kavalee & Martin are actually quite funny, surely they can do better than that?

38. callas September 28, 2011 at 12:12 pm -

i was disappointed with the christos tsolkas intervew with jennifer byrne last night. christos gave nothing in the interview. a great writer he might be but in front of the camera comes across as really awkward. his answers were so drawn out with such uncertainties that jennifer had to answer it for him !! no insight into his early career or life in general. all we basically got was an answer about his partner and whether gay marriage should be legalised to which he had no hesitation in giving such a forthright answer !!

39. @Andrew _81 September 28, 2011 at 12:08 pm -

I can’t believe people tune into the rubbish that is 2 and a half men which jumped the shark long ago and something genuinely funny (although heavily edited unfortunately) gets trashed! Perhaps they need a Red Dog on there?

40. Tony H. September 28, 2011 at 12:07 pm -

I thought the Masterchef spoof on JOS last night was astute and very clever. The show would have worked better on the ABC.

41. Bella September 28, 2011 at 12:03 pm -

@Johnty Same with me with TBBT. Its way too hard to watch it on Nine. They kept moving it around like you said. I had no idea when it finished, with all the repeats.

Those back up dancers on The X-Factor made me laugh. The YMS singing ACDC with the girl in the red skirt walking around the stage and behind the lockers. Its a bit too much.

I tried watching JOS. It didn’t quite work for me. Maybe a short skit but not a full tv show about it.

42. Jake September 28, 2011 at 11:59 am -

I mean what did they expect with a dumb show called Dinner Date? Dinner For Schmucks would have been a more apt title!!

43. sc September 28, 2011 at 11:47 am -

I love Joy of Sets but it does feel very rushed. Seems like they are condensing a 2hr live show into 30mins and the ad breaks really hurt it.

I don’t want it to move to Go! but maybe we could get an extended 1hr version on there.

44. Jeremy September 28, 2011 at 11:42 am -

Joy of sets is enjoyable, but you’re right David – it feels too scripted.

Survivor was a good first episode for this season. Hopefully Channel 9 keeps it fast tracked through until the finale.

45. Bruce Banner September 28, 2011 at 11:41 am -

Goodbye JOS, come back on a different network where they know how to make watchable tv.

46. muzza September 28, 2011 at 11:40 am -

@DansDans, whats it matter if they change channels? Most people have digital now. Its only when they change nights or times it becomes a hassle.

47. Craig September 28, 2011 at 11:39 am -

Knew this problem would arise with Joy of Sets. The average Australian viewer won’t get their humour which will hurt it and will be a shame if it goes and is also the reason there is so much crap on primetime TV here.

48. effdee September 28, 2011 at 11:37 am -

I forgot Joy of Sets was on! and that’s the problem with so many channels to choose from now, just remembering a show is on because of having so much choice.

49. Johnty September 28, 2011 at 11:01 am -

I love the Joy of Sets, hopefully more will watch it next week. I saw the ad for new Big Band Theory, I love that show, but not willing to watch it on Nine anymore, you watch it one week, the next you are watching a season one episode as they moved it to the night before meaning you have missed the episode and then they stop showing it for 3 weeks and then put it on another night, no thanks, i’ll be paying the $28 from JB HI FI and watch it all later on in the year.

50. Charlie Kelly September 28, 2011 at 10:59 am -

It’s the sort of show that should be on a digital channel.

I have to admit, I forgot it was on again and I hope I had it series linked.

It was entertaining. I mean it’s no where near as good as Charlie Brooker’s shows about TV, but it’s something.

51. David Knox September 28, 2011 at 10:50 am -

DansDans: the problem also starts before that, by giving shows plenty of promotion time so audiences know they are on. Fastracking has to be matched by adequate promotion. I think 9:30 is the right slot for Survivor.

52. samo September 28, 2011 at 10:47 am -

joy of sets is absolute trash…could have been so good….and wrong timeslot for survivor……hopeless 9……

53. DansDans September 28, 2011 at 10:46 am -

After one week a show could be dumped on GO! – and there David is the problem with our TV networks. Why should we bother watching when the shows will be moved, chopped and changed?