Rush …. “axed” via DVD

By David Knox on October 31, 2011 / Filed Under News 49

The telltale signs are all ominous for the future of Rush.

While TEN hasn’t made any statements about the show’s future it seems a DVD distributor has gone and done it for them anyway.

JB HiFi is currently taking pre-orders for the DVD of “the fourth and final series of Australia’s favourite cop show.”

Despite its critical acclaim this season has been rumoured to be the last. Just three more episodes remain.

At $40 the disk is available from December 15.

Would make a good Christmas present -unless you’re one of the cast and crew.

UPDATE: Southern Star advises the show was ordered for a fourth season pf 13 eps by TEN but a fifth season was never under consideration due to loss of Tax Rebate. DVD Artwork was locked in months ago.

1. fluff November 27, 2011 at 8:45 pm -

this really was an awesome show – i lived in the UK for a while and really enjoyed the characters in “The Bill” – then the uk tv heads axed it – can’t believe the same thing has happened to Rush – I thought the characters and actors were really great. such a shame. surely it could have sold well overseas with the right marketing and helped the budget????

2. Jennie November 13, 2011 at 5:17 pm -

I just found out that Rush is not returning for Series 5 – what is wrong with the tv heads of this country. Why are they not supporting great local talent like the creators, writers and cast of this show . THis show is fantastic and gripping unlike most crap on tv. No doubt it will be replaced by some trivial reality show or yet another rerun or a law and order!!

Pathetic decision.

3. suzie November 10, 2011 at 5:50 am -

Way to go ten. Gutless then deny it.

Funny how before the tax rebate shows lasted 8 seasons. Channels are now greedy. Be a wonder if any actors want to be in shows knowing they wont last.

PTTR isn’t rating well now, on then off don’t even finish the season properly im over that show.

At least digital has many options now not just 4 channels to watch

4. joni November 2, 2011 at 1:52 pm -

@Emma – I know what I saw and that’s exactly what happened. It was the episode where two or three young crims hold a pub hostage and it all goes wrong. It was well enough directed, but woefully cheap sh*t looking and stiffly acted.

5. Grayfox November 1, 2011 at 8:10 pm -

Typical.

Good shows are cancelled to make way for stupid reality shows that no one likes.

6. Insmo November 1, 2011 at 12:24 pm -

don’t worry, there’ll be plenty of extra celebrity masterchef to fill the space

7. Sharpy November 1, 2011 at 3:49 am -

Ahh.. obviously TV is only made for the tax rebates they provide…

8. wamdue November 1, 2011 at 3:29 am -

Doesnt TEN have drama quote points, it no where near making? can it afford to be axing any drama? or has it been announced that Neighbours on ELEVEN now counts?

9. Dave November 1, 2011 at 2:55 am -

Sad news Rush has been axed, one of my favourite aussie shows, at least we got 4 seasons out of the show.

10. Harry November 1, 2011 at 2:19 am -

Rush was great. I am a genuine TV watcher who is obsessed with the show. My whole family is, an many of our friends.

To whoever said ‘If Rush was on 7 it would rate’. Thats actually true.

11. Emma November 1, 2011 at 12:49 am -

@joni

I do not know what plant you are on, but If you have actually ever watched Rush you would know that No criminal has barged past a barrier of cops with a live fire extinguisher making the cops scared. Get your facts straight!

12. hammer November 1, 2011 at 12:20 am -

There are no trolls here, the figures speak for themselves and Australia has spoken. If it was so good people would have watched but they never did, not when it began, not now. It’s just a few deluded fans who think this was “Australian drama at its best”.

13. joni October 31, 2011 at 11:57 pm -

@Ellaboo – I watched two. And the second one was the one that nearly killed me… in which, as I recall, a sole crim charged a huge cordon of cops armed with – wait for it – a live fire extinguisher… and the cops looked terrified. Top Aussie drama at its best.

I don’t believe any actual genuine TV viewer loved this show, or will miss it.

14. Ellaboo October 31, 2011 at 10:55 pm -

Sad day for Australian drama. For all the trolls making silly comments, I wonder how many episodes of the show you actually watched? For me it’s been a steadily improving drama with great writing, acting and directing. Here’s hoping the cast and crew are quickly picked up on new productions.

15. Ranco October 31, 2011 at 10:23 pm -

If Rush was on 7, it would rate. It’s how it goes.

16. Lyn October 31, 2011 at 10:09 pm -

So Southern Star have pretty much confirmed that the show won’t be returning and that a fifth season was never in consideration, yet Ten continue to say they haven’t made a final decision?! Why are they treating their viewers like idiots? Just do us all a favour and confirm what we already know, that way we can watch the last three episodes knowing they are the final three episodes. I’m very sad to see this show go. It’s a shame that it was only brought back for 13 episodes, this season has had so many story lines it would have been nice to them play out over more episodes. And as much as I’ve loved this season I think that if it hadn’t been so serialised then the ratings would have been better.

17. Ronnie October 31, 2011 at 9:13 pm -

The 20% Producer Offset cuts out at 65 episodes. A 20% gap in the production budget will be enough to stop most series – unless they are still rating really well – such as PTTR. Perhaps 65 episodes of any one series is enough?

18. ryan October 31, 2011 at 9:00 pm -

Could Ten get an worse?

19. col October 31, 2011 at 8:19 pm -

@rave, what about Cops LAC , or Lack of Acting classes, that was dreadful.

20. Goonies October 31, 2011 at 7:07 pm -

Www that`s a shame. I guess the complete dumbing down of aussie drama is just about complete now :(

21. rave October 31, 2011 at 6:43 pm -

Thank God this pile of turd has finally left our screens. Australia’s worst ever drama perhaps? Close to it but certainly has been one of the lowest rating ones. Actually only ever been beaten by neigh-bores in that category.

22. Jerome October 31, 2011 at 6:37 pm -

So this brings up the question of tens local quota for 2012. Surely they will have to make another drama to replace rush or move Neighbours to the main channel. If what ten is doing is enough surely there are issues with the system. They have more titles next year but they are all small projects.

23. steve sydney October 31, 2011 at 6:24 pm -

Probably a dumb question but..

If a spin off show is created with a different title and a majority of the same characters.. is it seen as a new show and therefore eligible for the Tax Rebate?

24. Harry October 31, 2011 at 6:02 pm -

@Darcey09,
    A few comments on this website doesn’t generalise to the total viewing population that watch TV (or have a ratings box).

25. Darcey09 October 31, 2011 at 5:38 pm -

Given that so many people claim to love it, I wonder why it rates so poorly?

26. Ryaneco October 31, 2011 at 5:01 pm -

It is a shame but at least we got 4 quality seasons out of a show that honestly hasn’t rated well it’s entire run bar a few eps of Season 2 coming out of Masterchef.
    This season has been brilliant so at least it goes out on a high

27. David Knox October 31, 2011 at 4:43 pm -

End of Rush is confirmed by Southern Star, sorry. I’ve really enjoyed the show.

28. ryan October 31, 2011 at 4:27 pm -

This better not be true!!!

29. joni October 31, 2011 at 4:22 pm -

Seriously, is everyone on this thread a TEN employee? Are there Really people out there in mourning because [insert template Aussie cop show] / aka ‘Rush’ has ended.

I can’t honestly believe that.

30. deedeedragons October 31, 2011 at 4:01 pm -

For some reason Donald’s comment made me crack up laughing & i do like the way SS thew TEN under the bus there. Why couldn’t they just admit it themselves?

31. Harry October 31, 2011 at 3:23 pm -

@Donald,
    Thats stupid. Thats all.

32. Jake October 31, 2011 at 3:19 pm -

I saw this coming!!! Cop shows are out!! Viewers are sick and tired of crappy cop shows!!! Good decision I say!!!!

33. Donald October 31, 2011 at 2:36 pm -

Rush doesn’t rate because its characters don’t care about anyone except themselves.

34. Shelley October 31, 2011 at 2:22 pm -

It’s a shame the continuation of great tv like Rush and Sea Patrol come down to whether or not tax rebates are available. So silly.

35. Jonno October 31, 2011 at 1:48 pm -

Please say it isn’t so – best Aussie show on TV and this has been its best season. Compared to the serialised final season of City Homicide which was pretty ordinary, this has been quite compelling at times.

36. col October 31, 2011 at 1:20 pm -

Well im in No Rush to get the DVD.

37. Jack! October 31, 2011 at 12:55 pm -

Rush has not been able to hold my attention for a couple years now!

38. Harry October 31, 2011 at 12:47 pm -

No! I don’t believe it. Until TEN says it I refuse. I love Rush :’(

39. JB October 31, 2011 at 12:37 pm -

Well doesn’t that just suck. Boo you Ten. Rush is one of the best Aussie shows. This season has been the best yet. First City Homicide lasy year, now Rush. Not happy at all.
    Don’t watch Rafters anymore cos over the past year the quality has dropped so much that its just unwatchable. Yet it still rates 1.6m. Rush just gets better in quality, yet it rates at least half of what PTTR.

40. David Knox October 31, 2011 at 12:27 pm -

Jerome: Not sure things are ever that simple. My interview with Producer Mimi Butler at the top of the season indicated there were many considerations, including loss of Tax Rebate, but also awaiting ratings performance.

41. Craig October 31, 2011 at 12:19 pm -

Heads will roll!

I don’t think knowing a show is ending will spoil it for the viewers, I say enjoy it while you can but with DVDs coming out so soon some may skip the final few eps and opt for the DVD as a xMas gift.

42. Todd October 31, 2011 at 12:11 pm -

Well it’s not actually JB that wrote that, it is an image of the DVD cover. Fail TEN! :P

43. Ruddeger October 31, 2011 at 12:06 pm -

EzyDVD have the same thing on their DVD cover,so it’s not JB’s fault.

44. sarah h October 31, 2011 at 12:06 pm -

what a shame, i did enjoy this show!

45. John Jackson October 31, 2011 at 12:06 pm -

Oh.. hope not! Great show.. really like all the characters. Although not a huge fan of what happened with Michael. I liked his and Stella’s banter with each other.

46. Jerome October 31, 2011 at 12:02 pm -

I rekon ten made this decision months, up to a year ago. Last year they ran episodes into summer and then this year there was a very soft promotion leading up to the premiere.

With the ratings it has received since ep1 this show has lasted 3 years longer than it should have. I don’t think fans are in any position to be upset.

47. Lyn October 31, 2011 at 11:48 am -

Nooo!!!! This is terrible news…a real shame to lose this high quality show. I know ratings have been down this year, but I put that to the serialised format of this season, as much as I’ve loved it not everyone likes having to watch every episode to know what is going on. If the show went back to its usual stand alone episodes I think the ratings would go back up.

48. Michael H October 31, 2011 at 11:35 am -

One word: Oops!

Considering Network Ten hasn’t even announced it, I’d be confident they’re be a little more than unhappy at this story and JB’s marketing.

49. J Bar October 31, 2011 at 11:24 am -

Ten probably did not want any spoilers out there on how the show ends.