At 2m viewers, Revenge is sweet for Seven.

By David Knox on February 14, 2012 / Filed Under News, Top Stories 50

Seven’s premiere episode of Revenge has rocketed to 2.06 million viewers in its first outing.

The glossy drama starring Emily VanCamp topped the ratings for Monday night, with figures that are a Programmer’s dream.

Seven easily won the night, leading the pack from 6pm until 9:30pm. My Kitchen Rules, which saw Adelaide boys Nic and Rocco break records with a score of 95 points, hit 1.67m viewers -its best result so far. Seven News was 1.37m, Today Tonight 1.32m and Home and Away was 1.04m. At 9:30pm How I Met Your Mother pulled 814,000 / 613,000 and Sports Fever was 182,000.

Nine’s The Big Bang Theory did excellent business at 1.5m viewers for a second premiere episode and 1.34m for the first. Alcatraz debuted with 1.13m / 1.03m viewers. Nine’s decision to replace Excess Baggage proved smart with a Big Bang replay on 954,000. Elsewhere Nine News was 1.15m, a new-look ACA was 907,000 and Person of Interest was 493,000.

ABC took third place for the night led by ABC News (1.00m), then Australian Story (846,000), 7:30 (732,000), Four Corners interview with Julia Gillard (725,000), Media Watch (652,000) and Q & A (613,000).

Against new competition, TEN fell to fourth spot. The Biggest Loser was TEN’s strongest showing on 776,000 followed by TEN News (725,000), The Project (461,000), Bondi Rescue (448,000), Hawaii Five-0 (396,000), NCIS: LA (367,000) with the latter two even below The Bold and the Beautiful (425,000).

Mythbusters was best for SBS ONE on 206,000, and World News Australia was 158,000. A repeat of Man vs Wild (81,000) was barely above the show it replaced last week (Freddie Flintoff vs The World on 75,000).

Heartbeat topped multichannels on 329,000. Neighbours was 299,000. Excess Baggage had 118,000 on GO! The last ever Smallville episode was 66,000.

Monday 13 February 2012

1. dramaqueen February 15, 2012 at 7:47 pm -

Fantastic show … fantastic result!
    It just keeps getting better … I promise!

2. Max Renn February 14, 2012 at 11:45 pm -

Revenge promos were everywhere on Seven for weeks, so at least they got the awareness right. Based loosely on The Count of Monte Cristo, this show isn’t for me. I lasted 20 minutes before doing something else (I used Plus7 to watch the first episode). Emily VanCamp’s little girl voice is one turn-off. Madeleine Stowe would’ve got me more interested; a mature character. Oh well, enjoy, everyone else!

3. David Knox February 14, 2012 at 8:04 pm -

Sunrise: 375,000
    Today: 336,000

The Morning Show: 180,000
    Mornings: 110,000
    The Circle: 46,000

4. A. February 14, 2012 at 7:30 pm -

Thank you David for the figures. :)

I’ll admit I watched MythBusters, Supernatural, Smallville and Person of Interest. The latter because they moved it away from Castle. I do want to watch Alcatraz just not on Monday. I’d be happy with late night repeats however.

5. aznfratboy February 14, 2012 at 7:09 pm -

Wow. Seven have to realise that Revenge’s viewership is due to Heavy marketing, you couldn’t go a whole adbreak on Seven without an ad for Revenge, as well as the fact that Revenge hasn’t made fireworks in the US, thus there hasn;t exactly been gigantic chatter, media coverage or publicity at award ceremonies like say Modern Family or Glee.

I predict that at episode 5 in Aus, Revenge will have a 1.1-1.2m viewership rating, purely because not everybody will be able to keep up purely with TV, and thus will drop the show altogether or use that word I’m apparently not allowed to say on this website.

6. Adam February 14, 2012 at 5:31 pm -

I didn’t actually enjoy Revenge, it was really cheesy, sloppy, uninteresting and confusing. I won’t be watching next week.

7. kitkat February 14, 2012 at 4:55 pm -

Why didn’t 10 learn from last year that NCIS:LA does not do well paired with H5O? Put it back behind NCIS where it belongs.

8. Maev....Sydney February 14, 2012 at 4:51 pm -

@ Carringbush….have to disagree about MKR propping up Revenge ratings…
    I think maybe most folk were like me….watched MKR…so as not to miss the start of Revenge….more like MKR benefited…..

9. steve sydney February 14, 2012 at 4:34 pm -

How did the Mornings battle go David?

10. Guy February 14, 2012 at 4:25 pm -

Its an amazing result for Revenge and i knew it would do very well. I hope the viewers stay with it because its a great show so far. It only gets better as the episodes go on.

Nine had a good enough night but in a way has wasted Big Bang Theory in the process. 3 new episodes already and with only 7-8 episodes left in the whole season, Nine will be placing repeats on very quickly.

Obviously NCIS: LA and H50 get the biggest lead-in’s on American TV, NCIS and CBS’s huge Monday comedy block. If these shows were not behind these shows then they would perform like they have here.

11. Cameron C February 14, 2012 at 4:14 pm -

@APM

HIMYM is rating OK on Mondays, last night it pulled 814,000 for the first episode and 613,000 for the second.
    As I’ve said on here before, I think it would perform better at an earlier time on a different day, but with a Revenge lead-in, hopefully people are in the mood for a 9:30 Monday laugh!

12. Phoenix February 14, 2012 at 3:48 pm -

@ John Jackson — Alcatraz is being repeated on Channel 9, Friday 17 Feb at 10pm.

13. Jake February 14, 2012 at 3:33 pm -

I absolutely adore this beautiful young star of Revenge! I 1st saw her in Brothers And Sisters and realised that she was destined for stardom. I wish her all the best in her future…

14. John Jackson February 14, 2012 at 3:07 pm -

Hopefully they have some sort of encore screening for both Alcatraz and revenge ( as 10 did with new girl/ homeland, etc ) as I couldn’t see either. It was total chaos last night for tv. So instead I watched the abc and then the Smallville finale on 11.

15. Charlie Miso February 14, 2012 at 2:40 pm -

Feel sorry for the 1 million + suckers who sat through Alcatraz

16. APM February 14, 2012 at 2:22 pm -

Ten should hurry up and put Bikie Wars on monday nights instead, its only 6 eps apparently so it would be finished before easter. and Im sure it’ll get more ratings than NCIS or Hawaii 5.0

17. JB February 14, 2012 at 2:21 pm -

And agree about Ten’s dismal ratings. That’s what they get for screwing shows around. Sad to see Hawaii Five O so low because it is a great show, but they should have picked a day and stuck to it. As for NCIS:LA, it belongs after NCIS on Tuesday, that’s where it rated well. Ten deserve those ratings.

18. loppy February 14, 2012 at 1:59 pm -

Well Done to Revenge. Well done seven. And i’m loving Cup Fever from them on a Monday night.

19. Craig February 14, 2012 at 1:45 pm -

@JB – that does sound bad, both eps ran around 44 min long on FOX. No need to cut anything apart from the credits between them, not that they should do that when showing 2 eps IMO.

Hope we get further details and I guess they will come on fan sites shortly.

I agree over the years a lot of us have become conditioned not to trust Nine.

20. Carringbush February 14, 2012 at 1:34 pm -

A decent amount of that 2m has to be put down to the MKR lead in. Next week will tell the tale of how popular the show is. Having said that, the plot was really nailed down in the first ep. – hate to be coming in late if you missed it.

21. Maev....Sydney February 14, 2012 at 1:30 pm -

Look at the lighting in the shot from Revenge…just so beautiful….the lighting team deserve a pat on the back…it was well done all throughout the show.

22. Maverick February 14, 2012 at 1:26 pm -

Awesome show. With such a good first episode you’d think most of the two million will stick around to see what happens next. Alll I’ve heard is how much people loved it.

Great start to the ratings year again for Seven. Worrying signs already for Nine.

23. Craig February 14, 2012 at 1:25 pm -

@Carly2383 – Revenge uses just the right amount of flashbacks to filling the story at the right time, the amount will vary from week to week.

24. tomothyd February 14, 2012 at 1:23 pm -

Wow! Impressive outing for Revenge, its a really good show, it dipped a little around episodes 6/7 then picked right back up immediately.
    Hawaii Five-0 and NCIS: LA, terrible figures for these shows, not a good night to have them on. Plus NCIS and NCIS:LA should be paired togehter on Tuesdays.
    I still think that Desperate Housewives should have returned after Revenge last night, rather than a couple of weeks ago on a Thursday.

25. JB February 14, 2012 at 1:18 pm -

@Craig. I didn’t watch Alcatraz on Nine, but friends on FB are saying they cut 6 mins from episode 1, and cut a lot out of episode 2. Another example why i don’t watch Nine.

26. Matthew See February 14, 2012 at 12:59 pm -

Considering Revenge was on at the same time as Four Corners no doubt a certain person seen in this edition of Four Corners is hoping for his own Revenge.

27. Carly2383 February 14, 2012 at 12:42 pm -

Very pleased to see this result. I have heard good things about Revenge so to see it get good support in Australia will hopefully mean Seven should treat it pretty well – ie stable timeslot/day.

Really enjoyed the first episode, seems to be fairly easy to follow the plot which I was a bit worried about with so many characters and the flashbacks. Can’t wait for next week. Might even watch this episode again before the next one airs.

28. deedeedragons February 14, 2012 at 12:28 pm -

Over 2 million? That’s pretty rare for anything non-sport these days.

29. APM February 14, 2012 at 12:24 pm -

I think people are over crime shows, they are pretty much the same thing every week so people wanna see something thats different for once which is why they went to Revenge and Alcatraz. with a crime show, it doesn’t matter if you miss one ep as most of the time stories don’t continue to the next ep. this is why Sunday and Monday nights should be for the ‘different shows’ and Tuesdays to Thursdays for crime.

people wanna start the week with something thats not so crime related. Ten should really keep the NCIS shows together and maybe Hawaii on Thursdays to play it off as it doesn’t rate the best. but then, do Ten have any other ‘different’ shows to play on monday nights instead?

how is HIMYM working for mondays? whats it rate?

30. Craig February 14, 2012 at 12:24 pm -

@JB – please any details on possible cuts to Alcatraz?

I know they showed 2 eps in the US for the premier but IMO Nine should have shown just one and got better numbers for it. Seven did the right thing with Revenge.

Maybe 7 could make a local version with Kerri-Anne, seeking revenge on her former bosses at Nine LOL

I like both shows but Revenge gets my vote, local audiences have never been kind to anything scifi related. I predict Alcatraz will be moved to 9:30 or later before too long if the ratings slip.

31. stevie g February 14, 2012 at 11:46 am -

Monday just isn’t the night for NCIS:LA and H5O, Tuesday and Wednesday would be better.

32. stevie g February 14, 2012 at 11:43 am -

Are they going to replay Revenge at all? I had to miss the last part, as it didn’t finish in time and i had to turn over for the last Smallville, as I was recording Alcatraz.

33. Dean February 14, 2012 at 11:37 am -

Revenge = Poor mans Damages
    Also David, Did you notice some of the poorly chosen tweets on Q&A last night? One of the worst ones was “At least Whitney went out on a high” – why did the
    ABC feel this was appropriate

34. jenny February 14, 2012 at 11:36 am -

@Ruddeger completely agrre – Monday Night has two much on 10 should just move NCIS – la so not to lose viewers

35. Dean February 14, 2012 at 11:35 am -

Revenge = Poor mans Damages
    Also David, Did you notice some of the poorly chosen sweets on Q&A last night? One of the worst ones was “At least Whitney went out on a high” – why did the ABC feel this was appropriate

36. Adam Oriti Art February 14, 2012 at 11:25 am -

Wow! Everyone I know has seen most of Revenge already, I didnt think it would rate so well.. but I am soo glad it did.

It gets better and better. superb casting, writing and plotting.

37. tellie February 14, 2012 at 11:25 am -

That’s great for Revenge, not bad for Alcatraz, perhaps some viewers knew of the repeat later in the week. Either way, not real good for 10 and it’s shows NCIS:LA and H50. I think it’s pretty safe to say Revenge will own 8.30 on a Mon-night.

38. Jduder February 14, 2012 at 11:24 am -

Brilliant!! This and Homeland are the best new shows to come out of the US last year.

39. D@GP February 14, 2012 at 11:02 am -

Revenge = a mix of Dallas and Return to Eden (without the croc)…

40. Tony Bee February 14, 2012 at 11:00 am -

I liked the look of Alcatraz and Revenge, but went with Revenge because Alcatraz looked too similar to other shows (Lost and 4400, for example).

41. blazza18 February 14, 2012 at 10:53 am -

I cannot understand why NCIS LA and H5O rate so poorly. Obviously NCIS LA needs to follow NCIS but what is so wrong with H50 ? yeah its not the best show on tv but its still good to watch, i feel sorry for ten.
    Good work for Revenge though seems to be a winner for Seven.

42. Cameron C February 14, 2012 at 10:51 am -

That is a great number for Revenge, and it is a great show!
    I guess it proves that fast-tracking new shows isn’t always the way to go.

43. Trix February 14, 2012 at 10:45 am -

Wow, huge numbers for Revenge. Well done, 7.

On another note, can we all make a pact never to let Mikey Robbins in front of a TV camera ever again? His performance on the Q&A panel last night was a lesson in slow, horrible comedy death. Even his attempts at serious points struggled to be understood as he vainly tried to complete a grammatically correct sentence. Be gone!

44. JB February 14, 2012 at 10:41 am -

Absolutely amazing debut for Revenge, and well deserved. Seven really know how to market a show. But 2 million is way beyond what i thought. At the same time word of mouth has probably helped. I know i’ve been telling everyone it’s the best new show, and everyone on here has been praising it.

And well done to Nic and Rocco last night. Did SA proud. Nic and Rocco, David, not Nick and Rosso.

Did anyone watch Alcatraz last night, i’ve heard Nine cut some from ep 2?

45. Ruddeger February 14, 2012 at 10:40 am -

Ten need to put NCIS : LA back to 9.30pm Tuesday after NCIS.

46. synchronicity February 14, 2012 at 10:36 am -

Revenge is such a great show. Hooked from the start, and judging by the amount of chatter it got over coffee at work this morning, it could be a monster for Seven like Downton Abbey.

I expect it to drop next week, but hopefully it’ll stabalise at 1.8m. Good figures for Alcatraz too over 2 hours.. good retention!

47. David Knox February 14, 2012 at 10:33 am -

Thanks Craig. You’re right. Hard to keep track of Big Bangs -why is that?

48. Craig February 14, 2012 at 10:25 am -

Clarification David but didn’t Nine have 2x new TBBT from 7:30 with the re-run at 7pm. So would the 1.5m be for the 7pm or 7:30pm ep?

Good on Seven with Revenge but who didn’t see this coming, I’m wondering will those numbers for Alcatraz be enough for Nine to stick with it or will the show slip below the 1 mil mark in coming weeks?

49. MuchoTB February 14, 2012 at 10:24 am -

Fantastic result for Revenge, didn’t see that coming at all. Obviously premiere figures like that probably won’t be sustainable but it’s a great start for Seven.

TEN got completely dominated last night, less than 400k for fresh episodes of NCIS:LA and Hawaii Five-O is not a good result in any universe

50. Kirk February 14, 2012 at 10:23 am -

So happy for Revenge, well deserved.