The Voice smashes through 2.5m barrier

By David Knox on April 17, 2012 / Filed Under News, Top Stories 33

It’s official. The Voice is not just a hit. It’s a mega-hit.

Last night it rocketed to 2.54m viewers, more than double anything in its path. In Melbourne it pulled 818,000 viewers, in Sydney 767,000 and in Brissy 475,000.

There would have been few who expected it to rise from its already-huge premiere of 2.17m viewers.

The Voice even blew the season premiere of The Block out of the park. It scored 1.4m viewers and also won its timeslot.

Whether the two Reality shows are bringing a “halo” effect to Nine isn’t yet clear. Nine News (1.27m) and A Current Affair (1.2m) both defeated Seven News and Today Tonight -but Hot Seat had promoted a million dollar question. It never managed to give the money away, but the show pulled 775,000 and surely gave Nine the win it wanted.

Nine pulled a 37.7% share over Seven’s 27.8%. TEN was smothered in the battle, slipping to fourth place on 14.9%.

It’s only question is whether the family audience was interested in watching a sitcom afterwards. Big Bang was 645,000 while 468,000 watched the second episode in 4 cities. A very late Alcatraz was 408,000.

Seven News (1.25m) was best for Seven followed by the season premiere of Australia’s Got Talent (1.2m). It was followed by Today Tonight (1.15m), Revenge (1.1m), Home and Away (944,000), How I Met Your Mother (628,000 / 435,000) and Deal or No Deal (531,000).

ABC News was best for ABC1 on 1.04m viewers then 7:30 (768,000), Australian Story (761,000), Q & A (629,000), Four Corners (538,000) and Media Watch (510,000).

TEN has now begun splitting The Project into two half hour coded shows. Its second half hour was 649,000 and the first was 506,000. Its a strategic move as the network seeks to improve ratings stories. Its top show for the night was The Biggest Loser (825,000). Other shows were TEN News (762,000), Bondi Rescue (506,000), NCIS (407,000) and Hawaii Five-0 (363,000).

Mythbusters was 206,000 for SBS ONE and World News Australia was 182,000 with James May’s Man Lab on 163,000.

Neighbours topped multichannels on 299,000.

Monday 16 April 2012

1. AUSteve April 18, 2012 at 10:22 pm -

@stilesy Unfortunately i think Nine will win at least most of the rest of the year because of the Olympic Games coming up. Unfortunately Nine will get cocky about it which they always seems to happen when they get a win…

2. Craig April 18, 2012 at 6:51 pm -

@Kev – I agree, I don’t watch any of them, the closest thing to reality TV that I watch is Mythbusters and Top Gear.

3. Mac April 17, 2012 at 11:06 pm -

Kev : I’m with you, pal.
    On my drive home today, I was trying to filter through which show ‘gave’ us various ‘talents’ and I couldn’t really peg them with confidence. They’re all blurring into one another and I’ve yet to be inspired by any of them except that magician guy (Cossimo?).

4. Dr_Rudi April 17, 2012 at 9:48 pm -

I don’t know much about singing, but I’d like to hit Delta’s button.

5. Kev April 17, 2012 at 9:37 pm -

Am I the only one who doesn’t understand the appeal of these talent quest shows? I just don’t get it.

6. toriwannabe April 17, 2012 at 9:21 pm -

Jennome, you’re definitely not the only one who hates the audience squealing through someone’s song. The whole screaming when someone sings their first note or two originated when someone famous would be on stage and people recognise the song, so they scream. Not ‘oh, that sounds nice – I think I’ll squeal with glee’. Sometimes the squealing conceals the singer’s flaws and for me, interrupts the emotion of the song.

7. greyghost April 17, 2012 at 6:25 pm -

Watched “The Voice” for the 1st time last night, it will work, not because of the talent but because Australians love to watch peoples dreams come true and peoples dreams lay in shattered pieces on the stage floor as they get rejected.
    Masterchef for the vocally talanted. I suppose its entertainment …..for some.

8. kitkat April 17, 2012 at 4:50 pm -

Thanks, channel 10, for destroying NCIS:LA. Next season put it back on behind NCIS.

9. Guy April 17, 2012 at 4:49 pm -

Don’t all jump the gun just yet. Yes this is a phenomenal result for Nine and kudos to them but this show has a tendency to drop after blind auditions, and drop quite significantly. It is good to see some competition finally its been 4-5 years but its only been 2 days and already everyone is saying “Nine is Back!” Nine isn’t back yet. Wait a couple of months before making that judgement.

10. Pegasus April 17, 2012 at 4:44 pm -

The Voice is way overhyped but good on 9 for this win.

11. Rayne April 17, 2012 at 4:24 pm -

@Jake – I don’t think drama has “had it’s day”. Not everyone likes reality TV for a start. Plus I think people will record a weekly drama to watch later, a bit difficult to do with all this reality which is stripped 5 or 6 nights a week.

12. A. April 17, 2012 at 3:30 pm -

Thanks Belinda. :)

13. Jake April 17, 2012 at 2:17 pm -

Seems as if drama has had it’s day in this country…..viewers demand reality programs and The Voice style programs. I’m looking forward to Celebrity Apprentice….the previous cast will be a hard act to follow….

14. Belinda April 17, 2012 at 2:08 pm -

@A. about two weeks ago when some cities had a double episode of Alcatraz, NSW had a repeat of Person of Interest instead of the second Alcatraz episode. No idea why. but it is probably football related. We get the final episode next week.

Hopefully Person of Interest returns soon.

15. stevie g April 17, 2012 at 1:55 pm -

Big Bang wasn’t on last night, oh in Melbourne anyway.

16. jaxmachine1007 April 17, 2012 at 1:45 pm -

the voice is awesome, i hope people dont tune out after the battle rounds and stick it to the very end.

17. A. April 17, 2012 at 1:08 pm -

I’ll admit I gave in and watched the Alcatraz finale in Melbourne. It was late enough I could see Media Watch on the ABC and still have time to spare. It was the one time I didn’t mind it being late. I’m still wondering why some parts of the country haven’t yet seen the final episode of the season. Can anybody say what aired instead? And when?

18. Craig April 17, 2012 at 12:36 pm -

Good on Nine for the win, finally something going their way that’s not a sitcom. But as always next week will be the tell, will viewers go back to Revenge and other shows.

19. William April 17, 2012 at 12:33 pm -

JB- You are forgetting one thing ”What plays on 11 what stays on 11” so they should bring back 6PM with George Negus or Ten News At Six

20. kimbeth April 17, 2012 at 12:28 pm -

I find the voice great in parts but it’s one of those shows you can just leave the room and do something else until you hear someone good. Works good when you want to do housework :p

21. The Moops April 17, 2012 at 12:19 pm -

I watched half an hour of AGT and then I watched The Voice to see what the hype was about. I’ve gotta say, I am pretty underwhelmed by it, to be honest. I don’t really care for the format and all the nonsense with people picking which judge they wish to mentor them is very tedious and boring. I wasn’t really blown away by any of the contestants, either. The crawling to Guy Sebastian’s brother was pretty unedifying, too. One positive I will note is Joel Madden. I liked him the best of the four judges, he comes across as very likable and sincere. Not really fussed on Delta, Keith or Seal. Agree that once the selection process is over and it morphs into Australian Idol, I think interest will inevitably wane.

22. JB April 17, 2012 at 12:11 pm -

So what do those ratings for the Project tell you? More people are watching at 6.30. The Project should be only half hour from 6.30 and they should put The Simpsons / Neighbours back on Ten at 6pm. The Simpsons and Neighbours viewers are not the same people who watch 7/9 News. It makes sense. But Ten doesn’t do anything that makes sense these days.

I used to watch The Project, but then they changed timeslot and extended it so rarely watch now. I want somethign to watch at 6.30 after the news, but i’m not switching over to the Project when it’s half way through.

23. MuchoTB April 17, 2012 at 11:57 am -

The Voice is a great concept – I really enjoyed the first season on NBC last year, and was also curious enough to watch the UK version with Jessie J, Will I Am, Tom Jones and the dude from the band “The Script”.

Haven’t watched the Aussie version yet but I might check it out if people say the talent is good. I enjoyed The X Factor last year

It will be interesting to see what happens when Masterchef premieres and the Voice moves into the battle rounds

24. J Bar April 17, 2012 at 11:57 am -

Maybe Nine should have run Alcatraz at 10pm rather than yet another Big Bang Theory repeat.

25. stilesy April 17, 2012 at 11:28 am -

I don’t understand whats so interesting about The Voice & Nine shouldn’t get to cocky just yet thinking just because they have won the ratings two nights in a row & will properly win the week, doesn’t mean Nine will now keep winning every single week of the ratings for the rest of the year.

26. Maverick April 17, 2012 at 11:26 am -

I really enjoyed the first show but last night was just really slow. Too much time spent talking about the backgrounds of the singers and not enough actual singing.

I’d rather see more auditions that sit through a contestant talking about mothers group and the car crash that he was in. I know they are touching stories but I just want to see the performances.

Think I’ll stick with Australia’s Got Talent.

27. Ranco April 17, 2012 at 11:19 am -

Wow! Revenge at 1.1 million is the biggest surprise.

28. steven_i April 17, 2012 at 11:08 am -

Touchdown!

29. steve sydney April 17, 2012 at 11:08 am -

With the exception of almost 100k viewers for TBL… pretty much most of the offerings by TEN were generally unaffected ratings wise compared to previous weeks.

Seven took the biggest hit. They must be furious down there at Martin Place (that’s where 7 is right?)

30. tomothyd April 17, 2012 at 11:05 am -

I just dont get the interest in The Voice. I watched half an hour, i think that only covered two or three auditions, with the last one being Guy’s brother. It was such as slow show, and the please pick me stuff was lame. Then watching Delta storm off was amusing, but I flicked the channel at the commercial and forgot to flick back to see what was going on.
    About time Nine got some ratings, but will this become the new Big Bang or 2.5men and be shown everyday for 2 hours?

31. Jennome April 17, 2012 at 10:48 am -

I started to watch The Voice on the first night, but I couldn’t stand the incessant screaming and lasted only 10 minutes. The audience seems three times bigger than similar shows – 3 times the volume !

I’m becoming allergic to all ‘live’ shows with a studio audience. Am I the only one who really objects to all the shrieking that goes on?

32. nik c April 17, 2012 at 10:45 am -

Wow. Well Done Ch9.
    Ch7 may have damaged Revenge by pushing it to 9pm, as well as strong Voice competition.
    With these types of ratings will The Voice air 7 nights a week or will they stick to the alloted schedule… what ever that was going to be.
    Fingers crossed Tricky Business is a good Aussie Drama and gets the Voice lead in….

33. Bogues April 17, 2012 at 10:39 am -

Nine have won this week.

I wonder how the ratings will be once the selection is over, and it becomes other X Factor or Idol type show.